September 26, 2017, 05:50:08 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What do you do when your story wants to break apart?  (Read 162 times)

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
What do you do when your story wants to break apart?
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
My oldest story was originally 2 separate ideas that had similarities and ended up merging. Now that story is wanting break into separate parts again though not divided into the same ones as the originals. Characters that were created together are drifting apart and all the plot ideas I have for them don't smoothly fit together.

The pieces that are being affected the most are some of the oldest ones and it's hard to think of the story without them... They've been there for 5 years already. The thought of letting them go isn't an easy decision, but I know it may be necessary for the sake of making something better.

What do you do when you have parts of the story coming apart the more you polish the other ones? Do you try to salvage it and do your best to patch the plot holes? Do you let the story break into two and start again from scratch? Something else?
Interested in commissioning artwork or storyboards?
https://robinryuu.wixsite.com/dragonscale-studios

Offline Flames

• View Profile
Re: What do you do when your story wants to break apart?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »
Hmm, if such a situation occurred I would keep writing the new one finish it to a point if you feel its going in a better direction this is probably the best case. Then go back and see the plot holes or something you could have done better with it.

With that in mind re-use the first and make it more concise and clear after your "new" one is finished. From there you could ask yourself "hey what of instead of doing X, MC does Y. How would that change the course of the story.  Figure out a way you can change the story dramatically by even one crucial decision or set back on the Mc's. In essence... Alt routes so to say. But yeah, if you feel its strong enough and can be fixed definitely consider different routes, add new characters or maybe get rid of some only to be seen later as an enemy or something. I think your story is something like this from what you wrote here.

Or you could do a sword art progressive approach, in which you explain more things that weren't in your "newer" version and start writing it that way. So you dive into more character relations or something of the sort this time.

Last case scenario is, you mold the start as much as you can to fit into the later parts, tho this is probably more effort consuming as you try to cherry pick good points but then end up feeling they dont meld with another.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:07:20 AM by Flames117 »
Message me for any assistance you need! I'd be glad to help.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:05:07 AM »
I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this since my original story ideas still aren't together, but it may be a good idea to look at only what's working in your project and cut out everything else. Don't worry about all the complicated stuff. Don't try to think how cool all these clashing ideas are. Try zooming out and looking at what's most important again, and let everything else go.

The idea here is to not overwhelm yourself.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:00:05 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys. I decided to let the pieces separate themselves. Today I finished writing out the plot points for Lunar Legend (tentative title) which was the sci-fi influence on my Trilogy and is now going to be a standalone novel. The other parts with the dragons and streampunk pirates are now sci-fi free though I am still debating on whether or not to split them again. We'll see and in the mean time I will work on correcting my story threads...

Sometimes it's best to keep things simple. The more complicated you make it the harder it is to keep it together.
Interested in commissioning artwork or storyboards?
https://robinryuu.wixsite.com/dragonscale-studios

Offline Faramous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:24:24 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys. I decided to let the pieces separate themselves. Today I finished writing out the plot points for Lunar Legend (tentative title) which was the sci-fi influence on my Trilogy and is now going to be a standalone novel. The other parts with the dragons and streampunk pirates are now sci-fi free though I am still debating on whether or not to split them again. We'll see and in the mean time I will work on correcting my story threads...

Sometimes it's best to keep things simple. The more complicated you make it the harder it is to keep it together.

Sounds awesome. Seems that you made a logical, yet hard, decision. Definitely interested in seeing the end products for both.

Regards,
Faramous