November 24, 2017, 12:32:56 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Artists on bad projects?  (Read 207 times)

Offline GreenBeverage

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile
Artists on bad projects?
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
I was going through some of the reviews for the recent Emoji movie that came out, which I assume everyone knows was panned by critics, and had a thought... "What does an animator (Or an artist in the case for raiders) do when they're halfway through a project and realise it's pretty crap but are still getting paid."  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I'm not asking in the sense that "Would you quit or stay?" but more "How would you cope?"  :ninja:

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
Re: Artists on bad projects?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
By having as much fun with it as physically possible. That would mean, to me, leaving some things blatantly incorrect and inserting stupid easter eggs into the project.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »
That's why artists use aliases.  :tongue: if it was me, I would pray that the reviews are as follows "the only saving grace was the artwork"  :tongue:

I think for the most part, at least if you are given the first chapter completed at the beginning, the artist will know if it is crap.

@MahluaandMilk you won't get a job reference that way tsk tsk.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:18:49 PM by Forlorn Serpent »

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
I also wouldn't put such a s--- project on my resume in the first place, so even if they don't vouch for me, it wouldn't hurt me any. I would just find other things to put in my portfolio.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
"Do it for the money" I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone that actually worked on the Emoji movie, but it looks like a cash in movie to me. It's pretty creatively bankrupt and doesn't feel like much passion went into making it. That being said, it was probably a deliberate choice. Illumination Entertainment (the creators of Despicable Me/Minions) are notorious for this. Their method of animation is basically: "The least amount of work/effort/time and money for the most amount of payout". A few animators from Illumination have even gone on record saying they just did it for the paycheck which is an unfortunate reality of the industry. Keep in mind though, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you just gotta put food on the table.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
we have officially run out of ideas, as a species?

Offline MK

• Working on my webcomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »
It depends on the terms and conditions.  Some artists take a small deposit for their time and the rest at the end.  Others take the money at the end.

You usually know how it will work out on first impressions and the workload.  Then you decide to take the job or not.
Stalk me here
Want a commission?  Join the waitlist here
Ask me if you need constructive criticism on art or panel layout.  Practice and constructive criticism are the fastest ways to improve