October 19, 2018, 09:58:16 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

1 (50%)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop (CLOSED)  (Read 10313 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 23 REVIEW SESSION
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2017, 05:02:32 PM »
Day 23

Only four more weeks remain before the end of the workshop  8) The next Review Session will officially be our halfway point. This will be the last week for the lecture videos, as there only exists 13 total Lectures. Hopefully you've taken the time to watch and learn from them as you review others' stories and read feedback on your own story  ;) After the next Community Session, it will be nothing but reviews and writing.  ;D

As a last bit of information regarding the Community Vote, the very last one on September 17th will require that you are no less than 25,000 words of the stated 50,000 words set at the beginning of the workshop in order to be included in the final vote. The only exception to this is if the story has already concluded before the 25,000 word requirement could be reached, although technically this would be considered a short story rather than a full-length novel  :ninja: If you are currently far behind the 25k word count, I suggest you spend more time getting your story up to speed in the coming weeks  ;)

Without further ado, here are the next set of obligatory lectures!  :biggrin:
Brandon Sanderson Lecture 11
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:04:20 PM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 23 REVIEW SESSION
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
I've recently been informed that shishi02 is leaving the workshop. As of today, only four of us remain. You will not be required to review her story for this session.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 24
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Day 24

Tomorrow is the deadline for reviews! Don't forget to update your portfolios once you have your reviews ready.  8)

Offline Krurisuchristina

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
-The Coming Storm-Operative13-
I’m still trying to figure out Allen’s character, so far what I’m getting from him is that he is a responsible, ambitious young man, but I still don’t feel like I know him as a character. Though, I think that the main reason for this is because I haven't had the chance to see how he’ll react during a conflict.

Again, I enjoy seeing your character interactions. I chuckled when Allen’s friends reaction to Allen going to ask for the radio, the way they joked about him being a gonner.

I liked the way that you used the radio as a method to show what was going on somewhere else in the world. I’m wondering what the intensifying fighting in Alva is going to mean for the main characters.

I liked the last bit about Garrett, I can really see where he is coming from, by the way you describe his thoughts.

Another thing that I really enjoyed was the descriptions in the Battle of Alva section, the way you described the bloodshed and action segments. 

As of this point, I havn't noticed any other Novels that were updated recently.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »
Sincerely, Your Dearest Phantom - OhGodHelpMe
(Dead of Night)
It appears my initial suspicions were correct  8) It comes off as a pleasant surprise as how vividly spectacular this scene is. The bloodied angel hanging from a cross, the monstrosity that arose into the sky, and the horrifying massacre, with the crying Shiya all settled into the dark and hopeless atmosphere brought on by the story. Many revelations came about, with Konaha's relationship to Shiya, Daedalus's form, and the state in which this story had formed to begin with. The AI twist came as a surprise, as to this point, I've been drawn into the assumption that everything happening was supernatural... it would seem the plot is much more complicated than it seems  :hmm:

Overall, a very well-done and nicely-led scene. Despite the departure from the immersion-breaking history lectures and sexual innuendos of the last scene, this one certainly did come back to the usual theme and atmosphere the story presented at the beginning, and capitalized on its break in a growing crescendo. I am quite impressed thus far. The pacing seems just right, despite the new swathe of information collected, and I'm eager to see what the new update has in store next  ;)

Forever in Our Dreams - Krurisuchristina
It's good to see some well-thought directed scenes playing out here.  8) Cutting out Cato just before he could mention anything of value and jumping back to the classroom was one of the writing devices that's certainly been made well of. The sudden change back to Kamil and Dagon in the middle of the scene kinda broke the "Reality" flow of it, but it does bring up more interesting questions. Is it actually a dreamworld, or is it a whole other reality itself? It's also intriguing to find out that Sasha and Addison were dreaming of two different people, both of whom are in direct conflict with another, but for what purpose, I do not know. I hoping to see more answers as the story progresses...

The scene itself could do with a little more work... there's some hints of rushed pacing as the dialogue and interactions still felt stiff and rigid, especially when it came back to Addison and Sasha. It's nice to see Sasha's knack for memorization play into this, recalling the dream sequence he endured, but considering how the story established his character as more laid-back and inattentive, only caring for others as a social mask and not really for his own benefit, it strikes me that he would invest so much thought into the dreams so early on. Addison, I could see her doing so with the drawings, but I'd be less inclined to believe Sasha would do the same given his current impression  :hmm:

I'll wait to see what other plans are in store as it goes  8)

Real Heroik has yet to be updated by GreenBeverage as of this session.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:32:27 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 25 REVIEW SESSION
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
Day 25

The Writers Novel Marathon Workshop is officially 50% complete! Congratulations to everyone who has made it this far!  8) It's not easy making a commitment as long as this one, but with every successful day, adding to your stories inch-by-inch and learning new techniques, you'll see some some remarkable improvements in both your output and writing quality!

Now, before we dive into today's review session, I need to address some issues. As you may have noticed in the OP, all of you are now on your First Strike. That means if any of you get a strike a second time, you will be excluded from the Community Vote this Sunday. Please take responsibility people.  :unsure: I can't write your reviews and draft your stories for you. And I certainly can't go around messaging everyone to do something that should be routine by now.  :ninja: This might be a marathon, and I know you might be fatigued by the regular requirements you have to do, but this is also a workshop, meant for those who are serious about improving their craft. If you are serious about what you do, and you are committed to making the best out of this experience, then by all means stay. Keep me in the loop and use those PMs to your advantage. Stick to the schedule. Ask for help on the Discord Channel. I'm very lenient about things if you feel you can't keep it.

However... if this workshop is not something you plan to commit on a daily basis, then perhaps you should reconsider other options.  :-X

This is the second-to-last lecture of the workshop. After next review session, we will no longer have anymore videos.
Brandon Sanderson Lecture 12
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:11:09 PM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 25 REVIEW SESSION
« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
I've just been informed that OhGodHelpMe is leaving the workshop. As it stands, only three members remain. You will not be required to review his story for this session.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:27:23 PM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: Day 26
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OkHFGL1NOfA&amp;autoplay=1&amp;loop=1&amp;hd=1&amp;playlist=OkHFGL1NOfA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OkHFGL1NOfA&amp;autoplay=1&amp;loop=1&amp;hd=1&amp;playlist=OkHFGL1NOfA</a>

It is my sad duty to inform that after its 26th Day, the Writers Novel Marathon Workshop is Officially Closed.
 We've come a long way after many struggles and hardships together, but after so long, it is time to put an end to this chapter in MR. But with the end of a chapter comes the beginning of a new one.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this event, and to those who were willing to share their beloved stories to the world. Together, you've brought an unforgettable experience to me and everyone here on the forum, and for that,
 We Thank You.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop (CLOSED)
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
Damn, I was really rooting for this to happen, but this also does happen on the flip side. At least you guys hit a hell of a lot of words. I definitely knew I couldn't participate in any capacity this time around, but this sort of thing should be a normal for the forum.

Props to everyone! And cheers