January 18, 2018, 06:41:03 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

1 (50%)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop (CLOSED)  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Writers Novel Marathon Workshop (CLOSED)
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »
Welcome to The Writers Novel Marathon Workshop! Here, we at MangaRaiders will be aspiring to sharpen our skills and expand our knowledge of writing by painfully grinding ourselves into submission via the avalanche of badly-worded paragraphs and guilt-ridden critiques that will soon be your very own novel! (Or close to one...  :sure: )

The premises are very simple: In two months, we will work tooth-and-nail to draft, develop, and refine our stories into a full-fledged novel. 50,000 words, 50 days, and lots and lots of awful reading!  :D

Now, normally this kind of workshop should last 4-6 months to give some breathing room, but to keep people engaged and have the motivation to keep going, we're doing this workshop in half that time. Provided the conditions for this workshop are not set in stone and are subject to change if necessary, this is certainly not something for the light of heart. The workshops will go fast, and missing out on a few days can really set you back, so get ready to break out those headbands on your writings sessions!  8)

Taking inspiration from Brandon Sanderson's classroom layout, we will generally be following his instructional guide for the context of this workshop. I strongly suggest watching the video links down below to gain an idea how the workshop will more-or-less run.

Brandon Sanderson Lecture 1

Every week, we will have 3 Review Sessions, scheduled on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On those Review Sessions, participants are expected to turn in roughly 1000 words for people to review. Refer to Wring Group Essentials for Review Format. This is important, as it not only provides quality feedback for the writers, but allows yourself to reflect on what you could improve in your own writing as well.

This will also be mentioned in the video, but I shall reiterate: IF YOU ARE THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR, DO NOT REPLY TO THE FEEDBACK.

This helps keep the feedback genuine and unbiased. You should be the quiet guy with the clipboard gauging the audience's reactions in a movie theater, looking to see if that's the reaction you want. You shouldn't be interjecting at every turn saying "Oh, but it gets better!" It defeats the objectivity of the workshop and turns things argumentative  :unsure: Just don't say anything...  :-X

On Sunday, after the 3 Review Sessions are done, we will have a special vote pertaining to that week. Participants are free to post whatever they have on their story for that week and the MangaRaiders community will pick and choose which stories are the best thus far for that week. This vote will happen every week until the lead-up to the final week, when we finally conclude our terribly-written and trashy novels, where we will decide who is worthy of the title of Best MangaRaiders Novel!

There may or may not be prizes... some of that detail hasn't been worked out yet, but we'll get to it as the weeks go by  ;)

The workshop is now closed.

Progress Report: ~25,000 words (50% done)

Deadlines for Story Updates Pertaining to Review Sessions:
Tuesday RS: Wednesday 8 AM PST
Thursday RS: Friday 8 AM PST
Saturday RS: Sunday 8 AM PST

Writer's List:

Forlorn Serpent (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285701.html#msg285701)
GreenBeverage (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285682.html#msg285682)
Krurisuchristina (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285680#msg285680)
Mohadis1 (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285679.html#msg285679)
OhGodHelpMe (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285698.html#msg285698)
Operative13 (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285678.html#msg285678)
PhoenixGC (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285681.html#msg285681)
shishi02 (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285692.html#msg285692)
ToxicWaste97 (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285686.html#msg285686)
Xamasa (http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18460.msg285809.html#msg285809)

Current Writers Group
GreenBeverage*
Krurisuchristina*
Operative13
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:42:52 PM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »
Though i hate writing novels, i will try best to participate in this workshop.

I voted yes on the poll, but i would like a workshop with scripts for manga chapters that are nine page max. It's easier to evaluate because it won't be  thousands of words to go over.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:16:37 AM »
Perhaps I'll plan for that kind of workshop in the near future, but that's just going off how this workshop goes along  :-\

I decided on the novel format not just because it's easier to gain writing experience with that kind of medium, but it also encourages hard work and critical thinking. Writing just simple scripts with little context that are only so short can make it very easy for people to procrastinate and not care for the effort they put into a workshop.  :hmm: You can join in and leave halfway if you think it's not working out, but I'd recommend you try it out for the first two weeks to see if you can stick to something  ;) This is mostly a skill-building exercise more than anything.  ;D

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »
Gonna have to sit this one out. That's just too much stress that I don't need. Besides, one of these days, eventually, I will continue working on Ginger and Bergamot...totally...just give it like, a year, lmao.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:27:23 AM »
To be fair, they do have that National Novel Writing Month in November if you're the type to quickly grind 50,000 in one month :D In context, if you did about 1000 roughly every two days, you'd be doing around half that amount in twice the time.  :-\ So yeah, it is kinda like Novel November. Only not. And is a workshop. That you can learn things in.  :ninja:

:sure: :sure: :sure:

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »
Screenwriting doesn't help in critical thinking?

But seriously, try to condense 5000+ words into ten pages while still keeping the tone, action, and pacing that would be found in a novel's chapter.

So I have to watch all those YouTube videos????? I don't see a genre or content restrictions. Are there any?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:34:38 AM by Forlorn Serpent »

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:30:49 AM »
1k is about a chapter for me, and that can take about three hours as a happy average. As a college student and now an officer of a student organization--not to mention other social obligations...I'm not sure I'd be able to find the time.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:35:09 AM »
@Forlorn Serpent
Sure, if you're the kind to draw storyboards and niche in frame shots and all those other nitty-gritty details that comes with screenwriting that's not just "writing the script", then sure that's a valid argument  :D Then again, you typically don't hand a script to the average reader  :ninja:

As for the Youtube videos, you only have to watch the ones I specify, however I highly recommend you watch all of them. The guy is a #1 New York Best Seller. He knows what the hell he's talking about, and he'll definitely make it easier for you to do the workshop as we progress.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention that every review session, I will be posting the next set of video lectures he has online. Take advantage of the resources, as they can be very insightful to your writing skills  ;)

@MahluaandMilk
As I mentioned with Forlon, you are free to leave at any time during this workshop, and this workshop is open to adjustments. No commitments necessary. As this is a workshop, you can still learn something interesting in just the first few weeks, so at anytime you feel overwhelmed, feel free to let me know and I can make the appropriate changes if you still have interests  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:38:17 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 01:38:48 AM »
:sadbye: Great. Another free youtube lecture that i already paid to learn when i went to college.  :frown:

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 06:37:38 AM »
Sign me up! I could do with some skill sharpening before uni starts again  :ninja:

Offline Mohadis1

• The second coming of his lord sakamoto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »
I think this is interesting I would really like to join I've non stopped watched those 5 of his lectures and found them quite interesting
expect vs reality
mcdonalds   kfc
coke         pepsi
fun             life

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
Two days until the Workshop starts! Sign up while you can!

Depending on how many people are interested, I may div-vie up people during the Review Sessions to smaller groups based upon your interests. This means less reading and review, but also means you'll basically be fixed to whomever is in your group. I'll be looking for other means to conduct the Review Sessions, such as Free-For-All reviews in which you have a minimum number of reviews needed to be done, but we won't get there until we get the final tally by Monday.

Stay tuned!  8)

Offline Krurisuchristina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
I'll give this a go, I'm not much of a writer, but it'd be nice to try and sharpen my skills. c:

Offline ToxicWaste97

• Random Idea Generator
  • So many ideas, so little motivation...
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: SIGN UP BEFORE JULY 31ST
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Suppose I'll give this a shot. It looks like fun.
Inspiration from the strangest places is often the most welcome.

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Novel Marathon Workshop: SIGN UP BEFORE JULY 31ST
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
Is there anything we need to have prepared for by the time of our first session, Operative13?  :hmm: