September 26, 2017, 05:45:59 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Giant Crossover Fanfics  (Read 151 times)

Offline Zeldro

• View Profile
Giant Crossover Fanfics
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
This is a weird idea. A really weird idea.

But hear me out.

You know how all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are apart of the same ongoing storyline? Some movies are about just one superhero, and that's how it was at the start, but it eventually built up to big movies like The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War? It started with standalone movies like Iron Man and Thor but when the groundwork was laid they went all out.

What if there was a version of that, but for fanfiction?

Can you imagine? It's kinda hard, right? I mean, how would it even work? The MCU is set in the same universe, but anime, manga, video games, and movies are all usually set in different ones. It just doesn't make sense, right?

Well, it's exactly what I'm doing.

It is starting with three crossover fanfictions. Six whole universes to kick it off. They each have their own story and do not reference each other at all. Eventually, either at the end or somewhere in the middle, they will start to come together in an Avengers-esque, giant crossover fanfic. It's a giant multiverse with various characters from many different anime, and from one video game too.

Certain characters have the ability to create interdimensional portals to travel the multiverse, which is what starts their initial stories. The Straw Hat Ghoul starts off with Kaneki unknowingly creating a portal to the One Piece world, and he with all of his friends (and enemies) fall in it. In Deku's Bizarre Adventure Joseph creates a portal while fighting the Pillar Men and stumbles upon it years later with Jotaro whilst searching for Dio, and the Stardust Crusaders arrive in the My Hero Academia universe, which is being ravaged by Dio. And in To Hyrule and Back Again, Link is forced into a portal to the Attack on Titan universe by a mysterious being, and is instantly chased by a titan.

More crossover fics will come to join the fray, such as a Dragonball Z + Hunter x Hunter fic titled Dragonball Hunter. They will all come together as one big story, where people fight, die, love, and betray each other.

Sounds weird as hell, right? Right.

Posted this to see your thoughts on it. I have to juggle three fics at once and it's a little hard, but, y'know, I'm hanging in there. If you want to help out, that's cool, but otherwise thanks for reading my crazy idea and tell me what you think.
fanfiction.net/~zeldro

zeldro.weebly.com - my website

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Crossover Fanfics
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:26 PM »
Good luck have fun with all of that, mate. That's all I can really say. I have enough trouble keeping in lines of one universe for writing and not breaking its rules. As far as my fanfiction goes, I don't think I've ever done a crossover, although part of me has wanted to do a Rosario+Vampire/Soul Eater crossover for years. Problem is, I haven't finished reading the Soul Eater manga (if it's incomplete, I'm nowhere near caught up).

Crossover fics done well are one of the many reasons I consider fanfiction to be an immensely difficult art. Yeah, there's a lot of crap, especially on ffn, but that's because it's such a hard art to master...but that's a whole nother story for a whole nother thread I stared a while back...It's probably floating around here somewhere. It's called "Fanfiction, What Is It Good For" if you wanna search for it.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
Soul Eater finished at Volume 25, wont be that hard to catch up

as for a universe type thing, someone else on the forum has tried that, they got members together but gradually the members had their stories cut ties with the universe so it crashed and burned

so honestly i don't think this is a good idea

as for successful universes there is the MRVerse which usually consists of stories about the members of the forum

and there is the Unofficial, Non-Canon MR Universe, similar to Super Smash Bros where it is sort of like a crossover but plans for it right now has either halted or are just talk

Offline Zeldro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:36:01 PM »
Soul Eater finished at Volume 25, wont be that hard to catch up

as for a universe type thing, someone else on the forum has tried that, they got members together but gradually the members had their stories cut ties with the universe so it crashed and burned

so honestly i don't think this is a good idea

as for successful universes there is the MRVerse which usually consists of stories about the members of the forum

and there is the Unofficial, Non-Canon MR Universe, similar to Super Smash Bros where it is sort of like a crossover but plans for it right now has either halted or are just talk

I'm not planning to have a ton of people working on it at once. If someone legitimately wants to help, that's cool, they could maybe edit some chapters at first and start ghostwriting a story, or maybe just write it if I like their ideas. But it's mainly gonna be me. I'll have at most one or two people helping out in the future, and they'll probably be people I know
fanfiction.net/~zeldro

zeldro.weebly.com - my website

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »
This is going to be a huge undertaking for you, but if you have the time to do it, who is anyone to stop you?

My only word of advice would be to keep the constraints of each universe in mind. Things from those universes will likely only be able to act under the laws that govern it. Of course, keeping everybody IC is also high on the priority list, but as far as crossovers go, the number one pitfall I see a lot of them make is that they fall into complete chaos because the writer doesn't properly adhere to universal laws.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Coldmiser8675

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
I agree with all the others here. What you're undertaking could be overwhelming. First, you have to keep all the attitudes of each character in mind. How would they act in certain situations? Who would they trust or befriend? Would Kaneki really befriend Luffy if they met? What would be their conversation? How would all the members of the straw hats feel about this?

It will also be a bit confusing to keep jumping from one character's point of view, to the next, and the next, and the next, and the next (Meaning all the chapters, and how they would combine together). It would just take forever for the story to resolve if you're making it one big thing.

But that's just a skeptic talking. I'll be happy to see what you can accomplish.
Check out my story! Honey, Stalin Took the Kids >>http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,13888.0.html