August 17, 2018, 01:04:16 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Fundamentals of Writing?  (Read 826 times)

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
Fundamentals of Writing?
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
Hi, I'm an artist but I want to make my overly difficult story to be written properly (and easily). Yeah I just heard the term fundamentals of writing once and I am intrigue. Can someone teach me tips on the building blocks of story? I can read a lengthy response.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Fundamentals of Writing?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »
Everyone is going to say study grammar, punctuation, avoid adverbs and excessive use of adjectives, blah blah blah.

Watch this for story structure

https://youtu.be/H6QD5Pbc50I

Answer this quick question. Do you want to write a novel or script?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:04:26 AM by Forlorn Serpent »

Offline Flames

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
So, im not sure what medium you plan on using or what your story is even about since it appears you have one. Not entirely sure what your asking but the main thing you need to decide now is what the skeleton of your story is going to be.  Im assuming your asking how you should plan out your writing.  You could just make a quick planout at first but getting the skeleton there is always a good place to start as you can mend it as much as you want then fill it in! So first thing I would do is probably

1: What morals/themes do you want your story to portray. What exactly is whole point of your story if any. 

2.How do your characters reflect those morals? How do they act or how do they agree/disagree with the overlying plot. Its easy to make characters say things but how does it fit into the story? How do they impact it at all?

3.Is this story relatable/enjoyable to some degree. If your not enjoying what your story is about chances are not alot of others will. If your able to think of many possibilities and different scenarios that make you all giddy and happy to see happen, then you probably do enjoy it! But this also has some drawback. You need to draw a line where you see your train(plot) start drifting off into the sunset.  Sometimes I find myself writing something and think wait, I wrote him/her too differently than how they are supposed to act.

4. So lets say you have a plan or a rough idea of what you want done. Now you have to figure out whats going to be the push back/antagonist of your story. Something that goes against the goal of the story or just the character itself. In essence what does the reader want to keep reading for? The plot, or the characters themselves.

5. Revision! So you read something you write, then you say hey, maybe I included too much information here, or maybe I said too little. Revise! You can always go back and fix what you dont like, sometimes your story can even take different paths! One of my stories started off as a lighthearted comedy but it surprisingly took a deeper and darker meaning as the story went on.

To make it simple.

1. Find your skeleton.(plan everything out, how does the story get from point to point)
2. Make sure your characters main and all, fit into the skeleton.(Make them relatable or unpredictable, make your reader sit on the edge)
3. Enjoy what you are writing but dont be afraid to draw the line.(dont lose focus, make sure your story is coherent and adheres to others and you.)
4. Have sufficient push back inside your story.(Give the reader something to come back for)
5.Write and revise.

I could probably offer more insight, but I do not know what your story is about. Nor what entirely your asking. So this could be very helpful or not at all! Hopefully it is :x

Grammar, format and such can be fixed after you have your bulk. It's easier to go back and change things once your re-reading and can fix many of your stories faults and so forth.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:14:05 AM by Flames117 »
Message me for any assistance you need! I'd be glad to help.

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »
Hi Forlorn, actually no idea. I'm thinking of learning both. Thanks for the link I will watch it after the wifi is set up in the afternoon. I don't know how long the story is but I know it's a pretty long series. I don't have much characters and probably need to make some more up.

Hi flames, thanks for the post! Yes I do need to set up my skeleton for the story. The question list looks great, I will follow what you said. I apologise for not telling you the plot because I'm pretty guarded with this particular story. I can try practise on short stories not related to the one I'm talking about in the forum.

Edit: I do have an additional question. Is it okay to write stories in a simple vocabulary? I don't mean to offend the readers but my vocabulary isn't very extensive.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:17:14 AM by shishi02 »

Offline Flames

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Hi Forlorn, actually no idea. I'm thinking of learning both. Thanks for the link I will watch it after the wifi is set up in the afternoon. I don't know how long the story is but I know it's a pretty long series. I don't have much characters and probably need to make some more up.

Hi flames, thanks for the post! Yes I do need to set up my skeleton for the story. The question list looks great, I will follow what you said. I apologise for not telling you the plot because I'm pretty guarded with this particular story. I can try practise on short stories not related to the one I'm talking about in the forum.

I understand, but yeah setting up your outline is really important. It doesn't mean necessarily you have to follow it all the way through the end. But its better to have some structure going into your story than just writing a bunch of blah. Make diagrams and input your ideas and see what fits or doesn't, since your also drawing it, you should also visualize what certain things are going look like in terms of scenarios and any action sequences. Visualizing your characters in action is also a great way to think about different possibilities in terms of writing something out.

Edit: Its tough to say how the reader will react. I don't like impeding on others academic capability in terms of writing so I don't normally fuss about it too much nor do I have the right to. As for your question in terms of simple vocabulary. As long as its legible, clear and easy to understand its fine without having a large vocabulary vault. However, sometimes that does hinder you. In some cases some words can be easily used to convey deeper understanding of what you want to get across. You cant account for everyone, so finding a right balance would help you out, it all depends on what readers you reach out to.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:34:10 AM by Flames117 »
Message me for any assistance you need! I'd be glad to help.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
@shishi02. The vocabulary doesn't have to be college level. Besides, most writing outside of acedemic journals or pretentious novels are high school level or below in reading comprehension. I think presidential addresses use a8th grade vocabulary. That should say something about the U.S. population????

Using simple vocabulary can also help keep your stories from being too lengthy in descriptions. Minimalism in writing is good. Especially if you decide to write scripts. Scripts use simple vocabulary.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:14:15 AM by Forlorn Serpent »

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
How about give and take, you draw me an apple and post it here and i ll answer you question.

:))))) if you don't want it then that fine.

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:01:01 AM »
Read a lot.

Facebook       Patreon

Online Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00:37 AM »
Reading this article could give you a sense of what you're looking for  ;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jack-woodville-london/writing-your-first-novel-_b_5669907.html
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”