September 25, 2017, 11:10:37 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How to be creative?  (Read 164 times)

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
How to be creative?
« on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Yikes, this is my problem. I am not comparing to other artists but I do check myself (due to my circumstances) I stopped being creative when doing my second wave of art fundamentals. One thing that can give me creativity is inspiration from shows or books that I have read. But I don't have anything original on my own. In the past, I had so many hiatuses. So if I did attempt to be creative back then, I wasn't get used to it now. What are the tips should I do as an artist to return my creativity if I want to become a concept artist?

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: How to be creative?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:22:04 PM »
How to get creative when you don't have it?

hmmmm. Just steal it from others and call it your own?

Kidding. Maybe think while taking more showers. Not baths! I hear that helps with creativity. You get a moment of clarity. I don't though. All i hear are screams. 
No actual link
self-publishmycomic.com

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »

Also known as referencing or studying, and you absolutely should do this.

hmmmm. Just steal it from others and call it your own?

[/size]
[/size][size=78%]The real answer is to eat the heart of a great artist and gain their power.[/size]

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
@Fornlorn: I have good moments of clarity when I woke up right. Hmm, but those times I have school, or even next year I will have work..

Here are the list that makes me motivated ( but not originally creative)
Netflix
Manga/Anime
Games

Here are the list that I think I can be originally creative
Irl stuff
Past drawings
Stepping forward in life

@slamjam: Oh! Bonkers, I feel stupid. referencing/study is what I need to do and do it daily. Thanks for telling me slam : )

Lol I don't think I can handle eating someone's heart xD

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
Just steal it from others and call it your own?
Not a bad suggestion, actually.

Honestly, if you find your art unoriginal you probably aren't experiencing enough different kinds of art. Along with whatever anime and manga you watch and read, watch and read other kinds of anime and manga, watch and read other kinds of movies, tv shows, comics, novels, biographies. Adapt what you like from several different disparate sources and adapt them. Basically steal from a bunch of different places.

Also, think about what you want to express, issues you're passionate about, experiences that formed you, etc.. Try to make your art express that.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
It may be cheating, but you can also try keeping a dream journal. Sometimes my brain produces some strange things during REM sleep that can be pretty "creative".

I would say though that creativity, IMO, is like style: it's something that comes more or less naturally to your work, and there's no real way or explanation for how to do it better.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »
@Paipis: yeah you are right, I don't have extensive experience in art yet. I thought I did but seeing other artist here who made their stories tells me that I should do some more trial and errors.
Ah that's a good idea, I could write down what I want to express in a notepad maybe it will help me start being creative in words before drawing.

@Mahlua: I do remember my dreams sometime. Mostly about my deceased little sister but yeah I do have some weird settings in there.

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
You have to consume a lot of content (watch films, play games, look what other artists are doing, etc), study it and write down the things you like. Creativity doesn't come by itself, it is always based on previous experience. You can't create from nothing, the only one who creates ex-nihilo is God.

A great article on creativity by one of the masterminds behind the game Magic The Gathering: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/connect-dots-2007-04-02

Facebook       Patreon