March 29, 2024, 01:17:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: I REGRET THIS THREAD  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
I REGRET THIS THREAD
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
HONESTLY I WAS UPSET ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE WHEN POSTING THIS
Spoiler
ok, i am an artist... you are probaby an artist too, maybe a writer, same thing.

something i have been seeing a lot is favouring artists, like i know what you are saying "its because you dont see your name there"... yes, it makes me feel like garbage (and possibly other people), i have been dealing with so much and seeing ppl say "this artist is better" i feel other people can be just as jealous while it makes me again feel worthless,

quit my manga no point my art is *censored*, like yes im bad with hands and backgrounds but other than that i have pride in my art, i know i will get better but... i know... shut up ... im just going to ....

Edit: it just *censored*ing angers me, and mostly it doesnt have much to do with me
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:07:18 PM by BobbyJoeXForgotenSB »

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: i feel my art is worthless (stop favouring artists on the site)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Do I care that none of my stories are in some top 10 list? No. Do I care that I have not made a cent from book sales? No. Do I still write spec scripts so I can sell them? Yes. Have I sold any? No. Have I sent them out to angencies? Yes. Have I been rejected? Duh.

Do I think my art is sh*t? Yes, because I draw it thinking it's sh*t. Do I think my writing is sh*t? No, because I like my stories no matter what people say. Do I still need to improve? Yes. Of course. You can never stop improving.

I'm not going to tell you to look at the bright side or anything cliche. I'm an E-nihilist so nothing matters to me. Just accept your Art for what it is. Pump chapter after chapter so people can read it. That is your job as an artist/ storyteller.

Obviously, I can't change the way you think. This is who you are.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: I REGRET THIS THREAD
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
You don't have to feel bad about emotions happening. You're certainly one of our more skilled storytellers and you've been honing your craft for quite some time, to the point where you've gotten your style to look like a style as opposed to something thrown together that doesn't work.

I certainly see what you're talking about (and I have to admit, I was more than just a little surprised that after commenting somewhere that three newbies seemed to hop on my side and raise their swords--like wtf? when did I get popular?), but I also see this place as a community, and after a certain point, it's pretty much fact that fragmentation is going to happen. Cliques are going to form.

Envy can be the downfall of any artist. Everyone goes at a different pace, and the only way to overcome individual hurdles is to stagger over them and work on what you feel isn't up to where you want it to be. If you ever need someone to talk to about it, my inbox is open.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
We always have bad days. Whether it is feeling unmotivated or inflicted by other issues, it's just important that we never give in to the stress. Carpe Diem.
~~~
S8N

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
Yeah, no. I completely understand your vexation. It's the common trial of any artist, be it illustrator, musician, writer, etc. But the only solution to not favoring certain artists is to enact some sort of favor communism where everyone forcibly gets equal favor regardless of the quality of the art in the eyes of the beholder. I'm guessing most of us live in a developed, Western, liberal, democratic society, so that's not gonna fly in most of our minds. If it makes you feel any better, I felt this exact same way when I was in my first two years of guitar. Granted, I was pretty good for only having played for two years, but the other guitarists around me outclassed me. They knew theory to such an extent that I couldn't even understand any of their conversations. Their playing outmatched mine in every way. It was fast, precise, and intense. They could learn the most difficult songs in any whacky time signature in a few days and pull it off as if they wrote the damn thing. I looked like a fool among them, so my teachers screamed at me to get better or to just go home.

So I got better. I stopped sleeping and spent the late hours of the night, up until 2 or 3 AM practicing, studying different kinds of music, developing my own style, learning good techniques, creating my own licks, even doing some insane sonic manipulation trick with a wooden spoon, a delay pedal, and a treble booster. Within a year, my teachers noticed the difference. Within two years, I was already equal to my fellow musicians. Four years later, I now teach guitar to many of the people I played with.

If it's something you love, you take the trial and get better at it. Art is expressive, sure, and some say that anything can be art, anything at all. But art does have expectations. It has standards that vary from person to person. Technique and form is supposed to work in harmony with one's expression to create something beautiful, something that captures another person in some way. You're gonna be making a lot of so-so projects with mediocre results on the way there, because again, that's just the trial of an artist, just how I made a lot of mediocre songs in my life before I started making good ones.

Just be careful not to apply your emotions to the practical world. That always ends in disaster.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
-Alexander the Great, the man who conquered damn near everything between Macedon and India

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »
... you made it sound like i was going "you have to favour everyone" when i meant was to just single people out on their talents

Click the Banner to Read

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
His advice is still solid. It's like my mentor once told me: change only happens on the outer edge of your comfort zone. So it is with anything. If you want to see results, you can't afford to waste the time to do the same things over and over. You have to experiment and expand into things you probably don't want to do. That's why I took up drawing things from life despite the fact that I find it incredibly boring.

It may not help you as it does me, but I'll linkdump here some songs that I listen to when I want to remind myself that I can do things and get better. Some of them are extremely cheesy, but even the gods have told me from time to time that when you feel the worst is the best time to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Granted, some of these songs are explicit, just as a warning. Parental Advisory sticker here.

Pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGY4G7II6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKCGBv65w_M

Rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk0i_D7wjNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKUceLXdt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPNVEB8O7E

Rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdJDJEFIfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1UFP186F8

Other?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-S07C5LEnA