September 20, 2017, 05:52:14 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How to do your cosplay step by step: Esther Blanchett (version 2.0)  (Read 214 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
Here is my 2017 cosplay monstruosity  project!

Yes, that picture may look familiar to you.  I decided to remake one of my first cosplays: Esther Blanchett, in her roses dress from the anime /manga Trinity Blood. The illustration comes from an artbook made by Thores Shibamoto: Untold stories V.

I've always been fascinated by this artist: the complexity of the characters, their detailed outfits are the perfect base for awesome cosplays.

I've created several cosplays from Trinity Blood like  Catherina Sforza last year. This time, I decided to remake one of my first "big projects": Esther Blanchett in her roses dress.
 I made the first version in 2011. At that time, I was easily overwelmed by the energy to create something new and fast, without listening to the voices of sewing rationality. The result may have been nice at that time but now, I can't help but cringe when I look at it closely. I made it with the best of my abilities of that time.

I want to use my sewing knowledge to make a better version of this cosplay, one that will leave me with no regrets.

I spend weeks analysing each element of the outfit before looking for materials and fabrics.

I decided to use the same wig: I just washed it and untangled it. I will restyle it in the next weeks. Same for the fur shawl on the shoulders and the neck beads collar: I will use those I made in 2011.

I used a sewing pattern for the crinoline (Mc Calls 2001) and doubled the numbers of bones for more support. The bones are 11mm metal but some of them refuse to keep their shape: I will have to add vertical bones to erase this problem.

The white skirt is based on the crinoline sewing pattern: it's made of 20 parts. I used the same fabric as Catherina Sforza skirt, it's a short embroidered white velvet I got for cheap (10 or 15 usd the 3 meters.
It's lined with a non embroidered short velvet (ten usd for three meters).

I began working on the roses parts. I used a red sateen coton (10 usd for 3 meters) and glued vlieseline on the back to harden it. On the first version I had used little beads but this time I went with rhinestones chains. I bought those chains on aliexpress ( 4 usd for a 10 yards roll). The rhinestones are 3mm each. I drew roses on the fabric using a erasable pen and sewed the rhinestones chains on the lines. I used an embroidery hoop to keep the fabric straight and nice. It's a long but easy process. Each part took me an afternoon. I folded the fabric borders and sewed them. Those points are hidden by the rhinestones.

So far, I have made 7 of those roses stuff, out of 20. Let's not forget the 40 mini roses which decorate the midle and top of the skirt. Crazy? Yaaaa that's me! :omg:

The mission : one embroidery a day! I want to have the two skirts and corset done before the end of august. Let's cross fingers!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
Re: How to do your cosplay step by step: Esther Blanchett (version 2.0)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
Christ...now that's what I call dedication.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »
Every year my mother cries when she sees another of my  monstruosity cosplay projects.  :sheep: :ohmy:

I do only one cosplay every year. I need such big projects to help me relax at the end of the day. That project isn't that complicated: everybody can make it with patience (and a bit of sewing technics).  :D

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
You 100% need to do a side by side comparison once you're done.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:48:07 AM »
Yes, that's a good idea! ^^

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
Today I began working on the wig! It's not my speciality but I tried my best. I used the same wig as years ago, just washed and untangled it before cutting it shorter. I  used a strong hairspray and "got to be glue hair gel to style the ponytails. I still haven't styled the bangs yet.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:31:07 AM »
Here is the newest progress!
I worked on the fake gur shawl which is posed on Esther's shoulders.
I used the shawl from the first version of this cosplay.

First, I used a black sharpie to improve the black fur pattern. In 2011, I had put sharpy only on the top of the fake fur. This time, I inked the hairs from top to bottom. The result is more natural and intense.

I also remade the jewels decorations on each extremity. I used the same golden cord and maintained its shape by some sewing points. The points are made with golden embroidery thread. I made the red bows using an old red ribbon I had bought ages ago in discount. (50 cents for 10 meters roll). I put white vynilic glue on the ribbon edges to keep them  from fraying. The glue is invisible once dried but the ribbon won't fray anymore. It's important because it's sewn on a place where friction may be frequent.
I put the ribbon around the gold cord and the bow to hide the sewing points under . I added pendant jewels that Hasitha had shipped me from Sri Lanka. Their gold attach thread is carefully hidden in the gold cord. I added a transparent resin jewel on the top. The whole stuff is sewn on the fake fur shawl with double resistant red sewing thread.
Here is the final result!

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Today, I started the serious steps of this cosplay making of.

I sewed the skirt and its lining at the bottom, glued the roses on the skirt and the first beads lines!

I used a glue called GEM TAC to glue the beads. It also worked on the roses applique! It is sooo easier and quicker than sewing the beads one by one! I'm happy because I spend less than an hour on it...instead of days.

Here is the result for today!

:sheep: :dance: