November 22, 2017, 11:31:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Manhwa  (Read 281 times)

Offline areksama

• Arek
    • View Profile
Manhwa
« on: July 09, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
i`ve come to begin to try new things, i got a bit tired of manga since there is not a big plataform to post it and get "featured" as an artist and paid without having to use patreon, so i started a manwha and i`d like you guys to see it. the fist chapter is just a prologue, so it`s basic just a few pages long. i hope you like it.

link : http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/gangster-complex/list?title_no=89209

PS: if you like it or not, please give me some feedback on it, it helps a lot
Art is essencial for life

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
Re: Manhwa
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »
um... well so far its alright but my question is the term "manhwa"... uh... what you are doing is a down scrolling web comic format, a manhwa is a Korean Manga, since Korean and Japanese are similar there is no difference to the term, its still the same as a manga, its just the word is slightly different

Offline areksama

• Arek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:04:41 PM »
well, it`s called manhwa exacly for being a korean style comic (i guess they use the different pronunciation to separate the different styles, i guess ). i don`t know why is called like that, but that`s the name they gave, just like manga. i wouldn`t call just webcomic, since sometimes they are printed in paper...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
Okay, but yours appears to be more of a webcomic than a manhwa. Just setting the webcomic in Korea doesn't particularly make it a manhwa by definition.

Now, as for my actual critiques, the story moved way too quickly there. We have no backstory, no explication, and suddenly these two dudes are going to fight. Besides, the chances are slim that a gang leader would openly present himself to someone very clearly looking for beef. I'd also note that the constant full-frontal bust shots get stale very quickly and make me question how far your skills go. Variety and dynamic imagery are key in a visual media such as a comic. Also, this may just be on my computer, but the space between panels was rather large and even PGDN wouldn't get me to the next panel. I admit that I don't read webcomics often, but the amount of white space was a bit of a turn-off for me.

Granted, the color and linework are very clean and clear. The dialogue certainly helps to push the story, but overall, it's just a little stiff and could use a little more umf.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:13:55 PM by MahluaandMilk »
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Lakhdar

• God of potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
This style is totally new for me. I liked the coloring..
Events went too fast for me.
I have a question about the backgrounds, were they CG?
Dormant Guardian: Genesis manga:

"We'll bring her back!"

Offline areksama

• Arek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

"Now, as for my actual critiques, the story moved way too quickly there. We have no backstory, no explication, and suddenly these two dudes are going to fight. Besides, the chances are slim that a gang leader would openly present himself to someone very clearly looking for beef. I'd also note that the constant full-frontal bust shots get stale very quickly and make me question how far your skills go. Variety and dynamic imagery are key in a visual media such as a comic. Also, this may just be on my computer, but the space between panels was rather large and even PGDN wouldn't get me to the next panel. I admit that I don't read webcomics often, but the amount of white space was a bit of a turn-off for me."

yeah, i guess trying to rush stuff just because it`s a prologue didn`t work that well, i already have the second chapter with the explanation dialogue done, but i`m posting only next sunday, i think i should have done it in chapter 1...

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
This style is totally new for me. I liked the coloring..
Events went too fast for me.
I have a question about the backgrounds, were they CG?

I can't tell for sure, but one of the frames appears to be a 3D model? Possibly used a 3D image for reference?

As for my critique, I more or less second what Mahlua said but I want to place an extra emphasis on dynamic poses, angles and framing. Dramatic tension and story can all be conveyed subtly with good framing of scenes and most importantly, dynamic imagery keeps viewers engaged. It became VERY noticeable to me that the entire comic so far only features frontal shots of the characters. Look into some basics about visual heirarchy and stuff like the rule of thirds to get an idea how you can play with this. Scott McCloud's book "Understanding Comics" is a fantastic read and he explains this idea much better than I could.

Secondly, be careful with too many shot reverse shot dialogue exchanges. It makes orientating the characters confusing and is frankly a pretty uninteresting way of conveying dialogue. However, in your defense I would say your use of the character's facial expressions was handled very well and it somewhat mitigated this issue.

Lastly, and this isn't really a critique but more of an observation. When I started reading your comic, the first thing that came to mind was that the current artwork you have going for this project would look quite good in a visual novel. The frontal shots and stuff reminded me a lot of how visual novels are used to tell a story.

All in all, I think you're work is promising and you should definitely keep it up! You color way better than I do and I hope you keep forging onward with your project!