November 19, 2017, 12:00:45 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: When Satan Gets Bored...  (Read 979 times)

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
Re: When Satan Gets Bored...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:10 AM »
I second Mahlua there :) Take your time and try to study where those eyes are supposed to be, because the form of the eyes are the easy part.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »

After a long drawing break, I got my tablet :D

Been playing around with it for a couple hours now. This is the product. Got to go back to proportion studies :P
~~~
S8N

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »

A fresh start on drawing! Whoo

My first batch of 90 second poses. Going to be working with anatomy as well.
~~~
S8N

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
They are like dancing!

The arms in general could be better.

Facebook       Patreon 

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Did you just draw the outline without the shapes underneath? If so, I would recommend not doing that. As weird as it may seem at first, drawing just outlines without understanding the shapes that go into making the outline is very counterproductive to learning. I did the same thing when I started out. It's much better to break down the objects you see into simpler shapes, especially when doing time restricted figure drawings.

Figure drawing are all about learning how shapes work with each other to make a greater picture. Let them be messy, sketch around the ovals until you feel you have the feel of the 3d sphere right. Trust me, you learn a lot more (and more quickly) that way.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
90 second poses are love, 90 second poses are life. They're really fun to work with. Easy to do and useful in letting you stay light and loose with drawing

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
Did you just draw the outline without the shapes underneath? If so, I would recommend not doing that. As weird as it may seem at first, drawing just outlines without understanding the shapes that go into making the outline is very counterproductive to learning. I did the same thing when I started out. It's much better to break down the objects you see into simpler shapes, especially when doing time restricted figure drawings.

Figure drawing are all about learning how shapes work with each other to make a greater picture. Let them be messy, sketch around the ovals until you feel you have the feel of the 3d sphere right. Trust me, you learn a lot more (and more quickly) that way.

If I'm correct (and somebody butt in if I'm not), poses is something that should be solid pre-anatomy. It's less about getting the proportions right and more about getting a feel of how bodies move and look in different angles. I drawn each of them in 90 seconds, which meant there wasn't much time to think about breaking apart the references into simple shapes.

I'm relearning drawing from scratch, but properly. I'm pretty sure this is why most people start.
~~~
S8N

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
If it's where most people start, it's also where most people start bad habits that are hard to get rid of later. You're not wrong to say that figure drawing is about learning how the body works in conjunction to itself, but in order to do that successfully, being able to break anything down into more simple shapes is definitely much earlier in the to-do list. (It honestly concerns me a little that you feel that breaking the body down into simple shapes would take longer--that kind of 3d thinking is a very powerful thing to build on, and to not have confidence in breaking down complex forms into simple shapes shows a definite lack of experience.)

You could argue that anatomy comes later than poses, but I'd argue in the other direction. Understanding how the body works helps a lot in understanding the why and the how, which, in my opinion, is always one of the more important part of any study.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
If it's where most people start, it's also where most people start bad habits that are hard to get rid of later. You're not wrong to say that figure drawing is about learning how the body works in conjunction to itself, but in order to do that successfully, being able to break anything down into more simple shapes is definitely much earlier in the to-do list. (It honestly concerns me a little that you feel that breaking the body down into simple shapes would take longer--that kind of 3d thinking is a very powerful thing to build on, and to not have confidence in breaking down complex forms into simple shapes shows a definite lack of experience.)

You could argue that anatomy comes later than poses, but I'd argue in the other direction. Understanding how the body works helps a lot in understanding the why and the how, which, in my opinion, is always one of the more important part of any study.

Mmm... On that note, it's worth throwing in there that I have been working on some anatomy, starting on thebreaking down of the hand, at the same time. I was told to do poses every day while studying anatomy, but I'll be sure to be careful not to get in a habit of relying on poses rather than shapes.
~~~
S8N

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
If I may ask, who exactly told you this information?
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
If I may ask, who exactly told you this information?
Devola. Similar information came from previous contacts I had in the Discord channel "Art Lounge"

It's worth to share the hand studies, I guess. They were mediocre so I wasn't planning on uploading it. Here it is.
~~~
S8N

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
It's possible then that those people learn differently, and they may just be on a different level, so I won't fight it. I will say that in your collection of poses there, it looks like you haven't quite fully developed the ability to "see" those 3d shapes that go into a more complex form yet, so that's why I suggested what I did.

As for your hand studies, I'm seeing a similar issue. I see where you've broken down a box for the hand and circles for the knuckle joints and tips of the fingers...except you forgot that the only finger that has only one joint between palm and fingertip is the thumb. Index, middle, ring, and pinky finger have another joint. The omission of it makes the top left sketch look especially off.
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
I agree with Mahlua about the shapes. Maybe I wasn't clear but initially when we chatted, S8N was looking for help to get used to the pressure sensitivity on the tablet pen. I suggested gesture sketching and form sketching to help with establishing the technical skill required to draw with a tablet pen. It was mostly to practice pen strokes, pressure control and stability. In no way did I say not to focus on anatomy and shapes, it should be something done in tandem with gesture sketching.

Personally, I think that form interpretation and the ability to recognize shapes through gesture sketching is integral for establishing how the body is actually comprised of 3D shapes. The exact exercise I gave S8N was to do quick 90 second sketches of several gestures, then return to those gestures after the exercise and break down where things worked and where they didn't. The processes of "breaking down" includes turning parts of the body into 3D shapes.

And to further clarify what I mean. It can be hard for some people to see how the 3D nature of the human body is related to form. I think that by connecting the mechanical nature of 3D shapes with the more organic curves of human-like forms, it can bridge the disconnect that may sometimes arise. I know I had issues with that. I would learn how to draw a sphere but whenever I used it for constructing a body, it always appeared "stiff" (a very common problem for people once they reach past the beginner level).

Either way if I gave bad advice, I apologize. This advice is subjective after all as this was what I did to improve. Since I am no art teacher, I would never claim it is the best way to learn.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:11:09 PM by devola »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
It's certainly not bad advice. It definitely works as far as learning things. It's more a matter of where the artist has their own priorities. If you're someone who prefers poses for learning as opposed to studies of body parts for anatomy, then by all means, work with poses. In either case, making breakthroughs in one will help to make the other easier.

I feel like I'm talking too much, but it's interesting to see this play out, because I used to do some of the same things. When I was much younger, like, when I was in middle school, I used to think references and guidelines were "cheating" somehow. In reality, the only cheating in art is to cheat yourself out of doing something that can help you.
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
I have some trick that might help you draw a hand though

Spoiler
DONT DICK AROUND WHEN DRAW YOU FIRST GIRLFRIEND . THEY GAVE YOU A LOT OF LOVE MAN.