July 20, 2017, 02:40:21 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Tips for a beginner?  (Read 139 times)

Offline ItzAstral

• View Profile
Tips for a beginner?
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:15:54 AM »
Now I know this is a long shot, but I want to learn to draw, in the manga style. So I'm just asking for some tips - where do I even start? How do I improve? What should I know about, what should i do and not do? Anything will help! I've been doing some rough sketches and I'm seeing progress, but not much - tips from artists would be greatly appreciated. How did you learn to draw? :)

Offline MK

• I read everything on MR
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »
Here are 5 tips

1. Practice, nothing happens overnight
2. Study anatomy, you need to know the body in order to draw it
3. Accept criticism, it is the fastest way to improve your art
4. Practice, you won't get better unless you keep trying and failing
5. Practice, it will take years but eventually you will be good
Stalk me here
Want a commission?  Join the waitlist here
Ask me if you need constructive criticism on art or panel layout.  Practice and constructive criticism are the fastest ways to improve

Offline ItzAstral

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
I know I need to practice - I meant more along the lines of where do I begin the practice? Are there certain things I should practice? Guidelines? Faces? Etc. And thank you, I know a lot about anatomy , I know how important it is:)

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »
If I go on with MK's example I would say;

1) Experiment - You can practice the same thing over and over again, but what helps artist improve and develop is their willingness to try new things, both minor and major.

2) Video tutorials - Picture guidelines are fine, but I prefer watching video tutorials as you can see the artist corrections and progress; especially as they're talking about what they are doing and why they are doing it. I would like to note of avoiding speed painting and/or time laps videos for those trying to learn and develop.

3) Life Practice - Simple sketches of people and objects are a good way to warm up you fine motor skill and observation. And remember that these are just sketches, they don't need to look pretty.

4) Breaking things down - It nice practice to draw out the whole body for both men and women, but it can help out a lot simply to break the body parts down and focus on pieces. For example, drawing arms, hips, feet, mouth, etc.

5) Practice with discretion - You do need to build a healthy habit of practicing art, but more importantly you need to be open to what you want to practice. You need design a plan or schedule of what you will practice, how much, and when. But one thing I would encourage is to have a free sketch at you end of practice. For example, you decide to have 1 hour of practice, give yourself 10 minutes at the end to freely sketch what you want to sketch.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. :hmm:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:30:57 PM by Vio »

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
I'll keep mine simple:
>Draw from life. If you can't draw what's right in front of you, you'll never draw something from your head. That's a cold hard fact. Deal with it. It's boring and difficult for complex things, but you will never regret the hours you put into doing this.
>Don't compare your art to others. You can't compare your level one to someone else's level fifty, and everyone goes at a different pace.
>Practice doesn't make perfect. It makes habit. If you continually practice drawing something like a hand or a foot in a way that doesn't look right, it'll be harder to fix. You have to be fully aware of everything you're doing when you're working on a piece, down to the 3D construction that goes into the shapes you use as your wireframe or guidelines.
>Don't get caught up in what your style is. Don't even bother about style. Style is what comes naturally to your art. That's it. Don't think about it too hard, and especially don't use style as an excuse to disregard criticism.
>Don't whine if you disagree with someone's criticism. Take it for what it is anyway, unless they're just being an absolute jackass.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline narutogod123

• Void Mage
  • My name is Desi! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
I made a guide with all the books and tutorials in a google word document here: