November 22, 2017, 11:26:34 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Anyone here from the former Yugoslavia? Need reference for a story  (Read 162 times)

Offline Mafioso55565

• Mafioso
    • View Profile
Is anyone here from the former country of yugoslavia? Any albanians croats serbs or bosnians? the reason I ask is because I had read an articale comparing the recent refugee crisis to the breakup of yugoslavia in the 90s and had an Idea for a story about refugees surviving through the war in a quest to make it out of the war zone alive and cant seem to find any reference stories online that give me insight to what it was like in those countries. I want to make it seem as authentic as an american can make it.
Training to be the very best, like no writer ever was

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here from the former Yugoslavia? Need reference for a story
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Well, I don't have any first hand experience, but I am ethnically Croat, and I have had some irregular communication with cousins back in the old country. So I can tell you it won't be easy to find stories about it. It was a hell of a war, and a dirty one at that. And as per usual, people who experience great personal tragedy aren't quick to discuss it openly.

For my two cents: dig into the historical texts, and do research on the different cultures that participated in the conflict and how they interact with each other. You'll spend your time much more wisely doing that.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Mafioso55565

• Mafioso
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:56 AM »
You are right, and yeah from what I have read it was a real mess....its just difficult creating a piece that feels authentic with just historical facts though I do understand with all the genocide and instability it would be difficult to talk about.
Im thinking of placing the start of the story in bosnia because from what I read the country displayed all pieces of the conflict between the croats, serbs and muslims.

But anyway thanks for the advice ill stick more towards historical documents and prewar stories that show the culture, thats probably the best way
Training to be the very best, like no writer ever was

Offline eukocar

• its not perverted its art!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Wait was there a war in the 90s in europe!? :o

..........oh that one... Good luck on your research its very complicated.

The only thing i know from the war was the story of the dutch attempt to create peace wich led to an genocide of the bosnian side..... And you might think how dit it happen....
Well our soldiers where forbidden to use their guns....  :notunderstand:
It dient take long for one of the sides to discover this. And you know what happens next.
I don't know the side that committed the genocide.
All i know  is that our so called peace keeping force only could watch how entire villages where destroyed.
Some soldier ignored orders (heroes here) all where put in jail after the conflict!   
Same goes for the currant issis crises. I don't get this policy why the heck are we still using it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10970694/Dutch-peacekeepers-responsible-for-300-deaths-of-Bosnian-Muslims-in-Srebrenica.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:09:49 AM by eukocar »