March 29, 2024, 01:00:18 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Devola's Stuff  (Read 96118 times)

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Devola's Stuff
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
It's fine to go back and redo old artwork because it puts into practice any improvements that you have made since then.  As for how often you should do it, only if there is a very sizeable increase in skill or if you find fun to do.  If you find it fun then that probably takes priority because it will keep you motivated to keep drawing more.

Also if you have ideas then do a very rough sketch and/or write them down, the key is to make it quick but get the main idea so you can return to the main drawing you are focusing on

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Cool sketch! Her face looks great, solid colouring as well.

Now for the question, how often do you guys go back to old work to redo it? I've gotta stop procrastinating and start uploading my work to my social media stuff but I also really want to go back and rework a lot of my old work. Part of the problem is though, I feel like I won't learn much by redoing old work. To me it feels like I get the most out of art when I'm starting new projects and trying new stuff but at the same time, it feels like a waste letting good ideas go.

Old work to me is old and dead work. Seiko Oomori says of her albums, when they are finished it's a burial. and all the work that went in is over, and something new starts from there. I think this applies to any creative work really. I try sometimes to redo some old comics or songs, but I find it pointless. With the initial spark gone it just feels like a lifeless copy of what the original was. Even if skills improve and something could be better, I find redoing things is just stepping back and it's not a good idea.

I've tried to make nicer versions of my old high school era comics but it never works. Out of the environment the comics where originally made in, it just doesn't work. Even if the original art can be improved it feels like stepping forward is the only way an artist should look. But it's hard when you have some of your best ideas early on, just without the skills you have in current time to make them better. I see some "redraw this" things on Deviantart where the artist has great new skills, but the original will often be in a totally different style and sometimes looks better in it's own right. It's easy to look back because the work is done, but to me it feels like a waste of time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:23:49 AM by Manimal Claus »

Offline rusinstein

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »
awesome work! love how you do the poses. :)

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
Thanks Rusinstein!

@Manimal
Yeah I think I agree with what you're saying. Sometimes though the trouble is I never know when a work is "finished" you know? Ah well, it's not a big deal but I think it's best to move on unless I have something genuinely new to contribute to old work and in that sense, it isn't really redoing old work anymore as it is making something new from something old.

@MK
Recently I got advice from some friends to thumbnail poses/ideas and I've found that to be quite a handy thing to do with regards to putting ideas down for later! Even though I don't finish most of these, it's nice having a fleet of ideas that you could flesh out at any time.

Here's another dump of a bunch of half finished stuff! I've shifted my focus to work more on labbing out new techniques and practicing fundamentals again, been in a bit of a rut recently...

Finalized version of a character:
Spoiler

Early concepts of characters:
Spoiler

Another concept sketch in greyscale:
Spoiler

A colored doodle!?
Spoiler

Going overboard with armor again
Spoiler

Sometimes I draw men... barely... have a cyborg viking pirate
Spoiler

Some figure/color practice (warning: might be a little NSFW)
Spoiler

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »
Dammit that last one tho. All of them are amazing but I love that one in particular. What was the study reference?

Who cares: Amazing work Devola. Sooo good!

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »
Cyborg viking pirate sounds like one awesome combination! Would love to see that one finished  :D

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
I don't remember if i already said this, but i like the way you draw faces. Did you practice or is this how you naturally do faces? I always change it up, which is why i can never redraw a character.

And yeah, a little too much armor. Eventually, the woman will have to have a guys build to carry that around. EWW.

I just noticed in the gray scale one, What's wrong with her hand?  :hmm: I bet there is a cool story on that.

So my final judgement
Great clothes design : check
Great character anatomy: check
Great poses: check
Great hair designs: check

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate the kind words.

@Lego
None of those used any particular reference except the last one, I used a picture of a model as a reference for the back pose but not the frontal colored pose.

@Forlorn Serpent
I'm not quite sure how it happened honestly. Generally though, the way I do it is I make a particular set of rules to follow when starting a face. First the face shape, then I place the nose as the anchor that helps guide the rest of the face's proportions. Next is the ear which helps me orient the angle of the face. Once I understand the angle, the rest is just knowing how to draw stuff and what they look like in that angle.

This definitely came with practice, I wasn't drawing faces this way prior to actually putting in a lot of practice on real human heads. You learn a lot of neat little tricks that help with consistency when you do this. Such as using ears to help guide where eyes go/orient the head and using the nose to help guide where the rest of the face goes.

As for the woman in the grey scale one, it's a dropped character concept I've been trying to suss out but have been having very little luck with. Her hand is a skeletal hand, I intended for her to be inspired by Shinto goddess Izanami no Mikoto so I wanted to include undead elements in the design. Originally I was gonna have a translucent skull appear beneath her face in certain areas but I have no idea how to do this so I copped out and made her hand a skeletal one haha

Small update for Christmas!

A character design/sketch I'm making for friends on Discord, this is the first one I've finished. But we're keeping it spoiler free till Christmas so have a silhouette for now!
Spoiler

This one started off as a simple holiday picture but ended up being an experiment. I'm trying out a different method, basically forgoing lineart and painting everything using shading to create edges instead. Still a WIP atm and rather rough but I like where this heading!
Spoiler

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »
Boop. Have a doodle!

Spoiler

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »
Your characters and their designs gives me this JRPG vibe and I'm loving i! Can't offer much in critique, but I can definitely show hella support. Keep it up with the good work!
Messatsu...

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »
Thanks Fronomenal! That definitely means a lot to me man, I really appreciate it.

The relevant party has received their gift, so here is the sketch I made as a christmas gift for them!
Spoiler

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »
Nice to see all your work consolidated here. You've been working your ass off, and the improvements are showing. Sorry the discord is a regular dumpsterfire, lol. I'll probably keep commenting there as you post your WIPs.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
Thanks haha, don't worry about the Discord, stuff like that is bound to happen but I'm just glad ya'll are mature enough to sort it out in the end. And it's a relief that the improvement is showing, I have constantly ask myself that question and I find I can never 100% say I've felt like I've improved but it means a lot to hear that from someone else.

Today's studies: KICKS - the dragon kick image I did inspired me to do more of these
Spoiler

Tomorrow's studies will be: PUNCHES
And here is WIP christmas gift sketch I'm working on for my SHISHOU, I hope she'll like it! It's of one of her OCs.
Spoiler

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2017, 12:26:52 AM »
I wouldn't mind being kicked by her. Mellorine!

Really love the stability of your poses man, you clearly understand where the limbs belong anatomically, and it looks so good in space.

Also she is kawaii.

Will be looking forward to those punches.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 16, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
Thanks Lego! I might just be stupid but what does Mellorine mean?
Once again, I give credit to drawing lewds as the reason why my anatomy has improved, not much else too it other than that!

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but drawing action poses and stuff is just so much fun to me for some reason so here are some early punches. More will be coming!

Spoiler