March 29, 2024, 01:50:09 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Devola's Stuff  (Read 96119 times)

Offline devola

• View Profile
Re: Devola's Stuff
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 03:47:49 AM »
Thank you both for the kind words!

@K-Seki I'm glad you like it! I'm having fun designing these characters and I look forward to introducing them!

@Gabryel Haha, programming is my true calling, I went to college for it. I actually only recently got back into art! Don't worry if it doesn't come easy right away; programming is tedious but not difficult at all. Once you start understanding how it works, you'll learn it very fast!

And with that, like I promised, 1 character a day on days that I am not working...
Introducing the magnificent, the amazing, the professional *censored* disturber...

Laguna the Swamp AMAZING Witch!

Unfortunately due to my ineptness at coloring, I wasn't able to finish shading, coloring and fixing Laguna up yet but I was too excited to not introduce her!

Laguna is one of the playable female characters in The Road of the Sun. She may act like a kind and caring individual, but be careful around her... she is ALWAYS planning something nefarious. Laguna's hat is the source of her power, she uses it to channel her spells and wreck havoc on her enemies but only when she feels like it. Unfortunately for Laguna, the hat has a mind of its own and while it sits on her head, it can read her mind as well. The hat has a nasty habit of speaking everything Laguna thinks out loud, revealing her truly nasty and judgemental personality. Who is this mysterious witch? Is she a friend or a foe? Stay tuned as more characters are revealed!

As an added bonus, from this point on, Laguna and her hat will be introducing the rest of the cast. Thank you for taking the time to join me on this little project.

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 04:13:38 AM »
Looks very good so far (I won't make any correction because you're already this far lol), it even looks almost finished with the hard shading; gives the looks of an anime character and the idea of the hat is nice. I could never ever put it on myself XD People would lynch me if they all knew what I think.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 04:26:00 AM »
Oh don't worry about how finished I am, If I've made any major errors that I missed I would really appreciate corrections regardless! Your critiques have always been super helpful Gabryel.

And yeah I think most people would think twice about wearing a hat that speaks your mind haha, I know I definitely wouldn't want to put it on >>

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
Ok well if you ask for it... *Now this is up to taste, but you draw your abdomes awefully long. The chest ends about where the waist is, and from there, it goes quite straigt to the hip/buttocks region so I would pull it up a bit and make the hip region longer. Also the one leg was shorter than the other and the thigh was a bit soo skinny at the top.

I used the additional space for some general tips for example on how to make ellbows look better - try drawing the outer lline first because it's easier to orient on the outer line than on the inner one. If you are normal weight, the ellbow will look quite pointy because the region around is a bit soft and rounded - if you give it a small curve - pointy-curve, it will look very natural. When drawing the inner line, think about what part is in front and give that part a little longer line to give the arm perspective. I'll make a special on that one some time as it is incredible how just 2 mm can affect a pic so much.

Also, try seeing the foot as a brick that is a bit smaller to the front. The foot form is so complex, I still struggle with making it look good x_X but it's a start.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
Yes I did ask for it lmao, but thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Spoiler

Here I attempted to make the corrections, I raised the hip but kept the legs the same height. Thickened the upper thigh on her right leg as well to reflect the change. Her butt is higher up and slightly longer but its a little hard to see. I made some small changes to the elbows and feet but I'm not sure if I quite got it right yet on those. Thank you so much again Gabyrel, getting it right is more important to me than getting it done.

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
 :clapping: looks so much better, awesome! And very happy to help too  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
I'm vaguely reminded of some of the fanart I've seen of Mindfang from Homestuck, but I'm pretty sure that's just the hair. The corrections do look smoother overall. I look forward to seeing the next new design reveal.

And damn, Gabyrel, you've been killing it lately with these overlays and suggestions.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Shonen-boya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »
Mann I'm definitely a fan of your style! As a gamer, I like the videogame vibe I get when I'm looking at your characters. The other thing I like is when artists have a good understanding of how important anatomy is, which is always cool.
You're actually trying to bring a videogame to life (which is one of my dreams), you deserve huge props for that. I'm rooting for you and I'm looking forward for more! 

btw If you want to do an art trade, I'm always down to do it :)
Uhhm... Okay.

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
I'm vaguely reminded of some of the fanart I've seen of Mindfang from Homestuck, but I'm pretty sure that's just the hair. The corrections do look smoother overall. I look forward to seeing the next new design reveal.

And damn, Gabyrel, you've been killing it lately with these overlays and suggestions.

:3 Thank you Mahlua. Happy to help, also it's helping me to find topics how to go about my art class. I just feel bad sometimes when I say stuff about works that are already finished ^^° I know I hate starting over T_T

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2017, 01:03:49 AM »
So I promised at least 1 reveal on every day I'm off work... unfortunately that may not be possible for at least the remainder of this week and next week. Busy time for me  :hmm:

Instead, I will upload the initial designs for 2 characters as I slowly chip away at finishing them! Without further adieu, introducing:

Spoiler
Eve, the Living Armor! The youngest daughter of a fallen kingdom, driven by an unshakeable belief in her destiny; she sets forth on this perilous journey to prove her worth. Naive and idealistic, Eve's powerlessness forces her to seek aid from the darkest depths of mankind itself. With this dangerous power, the symbol of her nobility, the very armor that protects her has become her own living prison.

Eve is nigh invincible in her armor, but she is on borrowed time as the armor slowly consumes her. As a result of this symbiotic relationship, she is in constant pain yet despite this, she is still devoted to protecting her allies. In the end, her faith in mankind remains unshaken.

Artist Notes: Tried to focus on her expression, to show the pain she is in. And tried to make her armor look like it was mutating into something weird from the brilliant armor she used to wear.

Spoiler
Nyle. Just Nyle, as he would say. Disinterested and apathetic to the demise of the world, Nyle just wants to keep floating on. Nyle is no warrior, he is a writer. Or at least he thinks he is. Most of his friends would describe him as a terribly boring person. Nyle volunteered to embark on this journey where no others from his homeland would. A scribe and a recorder at heart, Nyle's nature belies his true power. For within Nyle's blood is the blood of an ancient sorcerer, capable of rendering written word into reality. It's all just too bad for poor old Nyle that he doesn't have a single creative bone in his body.

I will try to finish these ASAP! Thanks as always for the support guys.

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »
It's less noticeable on the second image, but you're drawing legs too long and it's making the characters look out of proportion. It may be style, but i just thought i'd say.

Outside of that, you have really good looking linework here! :)

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
It's less noticeable on the second image, but you're drawing legs too long and it's making the characters look out of proportion. It may be style, but i just thought i'd say.

Outside of that, you have really good looking linework here! :)

Duly noted! I have trouble deciding whether or not it is style or a mistake for myself. I'd like for it to look consistent more than anything else.

I'm not sure how much the characters appear out of proportion but I made minor adjustments to the legs, does this look better?

And thank you SlamJam, for the feedback!

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Hey hey interesting characters :D so this time I'm gonna barge in before you colour it XD Nyle looks good like he is, I see how you used the tips on the feet and knees, they look so good! only thing is, that the left (his left) knee and foot could be a bit lower than the right one because of the perspective. Else: flawless. Yes you do draw long legs but it's still not as bad as some  CLAMP works.

Eve though I don't like very much. You state you went for expression of pain and I guess you mean the facial expression. My first thought was not that she could be in pain but that she is mad at someone maybe. Expression never only ends with the face, you speak alot with body language. But I'm getting to that.

I am not sure what kind of situation she is supposed to be in, so maybe these facial expressions aren't what you were looking for. But typically, if you are in pain, you either cry out loud if you can't bear it anymore but then you wouldn't be standing. If you have a contant but bearable pain, you will most likely clench your teeth and squint your eyes, which you can btw show very good with that tiny little line below the eye. Try drawing an eye, and then putting that line there. If you find the sweet spot, you'll be amazed on how it changes the expression. It's rather near to the eye because it's basically the eyelid being pushed into a crease. If it's too low it will look tired (grommets), plus give it a little curve. Imagine the cheek pushing upward, then you should get there.
The lower one would show a character that appear more weak and suffering, while the upper one is more grim and determined.

Body language: Typically, if you are in pain, you will bend forward a little. This is a protective mechanism and a reflex of your body to protect our soft belly. You will draw the shoulders forward and it is very uncomfortable to bend backwards because you need to activate more muscles to hold your balance. If you want to express a constant pain, you should consider this already when choosing the pose to max out the expression you are looking for. Now the two poses at the bottom don't look anywhere near good *cough* I apologize. But maybe you get the idea.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »
Once again you come to my rescue ._. And once again thank you so much for the feedback Gabryel! I will begin making revisions ASAP! As for the context, it would probably help to explain haha. These are meant to be splash images of the characters during combat when you select them for actions. So it is meant to look a bit more active. But regardless I agree that the expression and body language could use work on Eve.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help again... I'll try my best to help you too wherever I can!

Mann I'm definitely a fan of your style! As a gamer, I like the videogame vibe I get when I'm looking at your characters. The other thing I like is when artists have a good understanding of how important anatomy is, which is always cool.
You're actually trying to bring a videogame to life (which is one of my dreams), you deserve huge props for that. I'm rooting for you and I'm looking forward for more! 

btw If you want to do an art trade, I'm always down to do it :)

Thanks! You can see right through me haha, I drew these with every intention of trying to express that video game vibe. I am up for art trades as soon as my life calms down a bit, I barely have time to work on these at the moment but after EVO2017 I should have more time.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Ok, made some adjustments. Rushed this sketch a bit to get it done before my break is over... Hopefully this communicates that she is in pain better! I created this character with the intention to communicate how despite how much pain she is in, she will still protect her allies no matter what.

Spoiler