November 21, 2017, 10:29:01 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Devola's Stuff  (Read 4765 times)

Offline devola

• View Profile
Re: Devola's Stuff
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about that Mahlua, I'll give it a shot next upload!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
Ok so just bought Clip Studio, and I love it. I used it to clean up all the movement/expression studies I just did and I've finally finished with this little exercise.

I used references for these 2 dances, refer to previous posts to see what I referenced.
Spoiler

This last one however, to test myself I did it without a reference and I think it turned out good!
Spoiler

-modified the picture, I tried standing the same way the characters did and was physically unable to so I changed it to be a bit less silly-
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:30:18 AM by devola »

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 03:30:10 AM »
it's settled. time for you to stop training and going for real work buddy,draw you own manga!!!!

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
it's settled. time for you to stop training and going for real work buddy,draw you own manga!!!!

Second this, these studies look good. The poses are nice and drawn out well. I'd say sometimes your lines look a bit off, which is sort of a thing with digital sometimes, but the actual drawings are good. As seen from all the expressions. The one without reference looks good, I'd say you're ready to try some full on stuff as well! It'd look cool.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
ARGH COLORING IS HARD, HOW DO I TEXTURE? WHY AM I BAD AT THIS? Sorry for the caps... I definitely need some advice on how to color. This is probably my like 3rd or so attempt at this, I don't think it looks BAD but it doesn't feel like I'm doing it "right"

Anyway, it is incomplete so far but I'm actually writing my story and setting things up right now, this is one of the characters. Her title is Hotaru, haven't named her yet. Also this drawing is incomplete, I need to take a break ._.

Spoiler

Thanks for the encouraging words Shane.

@Manimal, You are absolutely right about my lines, I've just been manually cleaning them up as I go but I often miss stuff and it starts getting tedious doing it so I just leave it. Is there anyway to make this process easier or do I have to just buckle down and go through each drawing with a fine comb to fix those messy lines?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:21:42 PM by devola »

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
ARGH COLORING IS HARD, HOW DO I TEXTURE? WHY AM I BAD AT THIS? Sorry for the caps... I definitely need some advice on how to color. This is probably my like 3rd or so attempt at this, I don't think it looks BAD but it doesn't feel like I'm doing it "right"

I don't really get why people here on MR dislike colouring :sadbye:. In fact, I love to colour and find it helpful to relax. :thumbsup:

ATM, I can't really give advice as I don't know what your target goal is for colour, both minor and major. Once I know what you aims and style are, then I can offer my advice. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:38:51 PM by Vio »

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 04:25:26 AM »
Hey hey welcome, and very nice studies! I actually prefer the sketches tbh, as I do often. Just like the lively lines, that often get lost with inking (in my pics also).  :clapping:

I do see the problem with the feet you got, but  I think that was discussed earlier - if I can help you, just tell me :D I'm still struggling with them myself, but might be a bit further in understanding and be able to give some useful advice.

Your anatomic understanding and feel for dynamic movement is fabulous! Makes me wanna look into some details, hope you don't mind pointing some minor issues out. On your coloured character T_T I'm so sorry. Maybe it helps for the next drawing.

The left stance has a beautiful tension to the torso, which I really like. But while the torso is looking left, the legs are frontal. Als the knee that is in the back needs to be a bit highter due to perspective. You can actually stand like this, but it would be very uncomfortable because you would twist the hips to the front - maybe like this it would be a bit more natural. Also, hands look good on adult characters if they are roughly the size of the face (not the head!) So a fist is about half the face.

The right stance is quite contrary to the left one, it looks very formal. If you wanted some dynamic like in the left one, you could try moving the left leg a bit back; if it's what you wanted to express that the character has two sides, it's good like it is. If you correct the feet a bit, the lower legs would move a bit to the back to adjust the feet going more to the front.

But this is really advaned advice I'm giving here, and dynamic movement is very much what I love most, so. What tools are you using for drawing / colouring? I started colouring only a year or two ago and remember how it felt at first... urgh. I fell'ya XD
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »
Thank you so much for the advice Gabryel, I think you nailed the issues spot on. I've corrected them and the picture "feels" much better. I'm using Clip Studio Paint for drawing and coloring right now. Coloring is still rough for me, it's just so tedious and I can never get it to look anything better than amateur ._.

Spoiler

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
 :heart: Perfect! And so glad I could help :3 Always happy to do so, plus I learn something myself every time I explain anything.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline MatsumotoTrix

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Love the style!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
Whew, taking a break from bashing my head at coloring and decided to resketch one of my earlier characters. Looking forward to finishing this one!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Such nice sharp lines! Awesome stuff Devola!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
OK! Big news and huge announcements incoming. I've started work on my first major project since joining MR... Introducing...

The Road of the Sun!

The working title for a small game I am programming, doing art for and possibly attempting music for. The game is an RPG in the same style as the Etrian Odyssey games but inspired more by Banner Saga and The Oregon Trail. Its meant to be a shorter experience telling a more personal story. I will be releasing a story synopsis and prototype as I get closer to finishing the project. For now, I will introduce the characters.

The game will feature 8 Main Playable characters and a 9th character who's appearance and design are determined by the player's actions. For now I will be introducing the 4 main female characters, followed by the 4 main male characters. I will try to upload a completed character design at least once a day on days I am not working! Look forward to one of the characters being revealed today! For now, have this teaser that showcases the character's silhouettes. One of the characters you've already seen, she has been completely redesigned!

Offline K-Seki

• Sleep-Deprived Multitasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
Liking the silhouette approach! I find your style pleasing - that's probably my taste for shounen. Haha. :D

:: =What should today's sketch be?= ::
Open for commissions.

personal series: Ayakashi Refrain on Tapas || active commissioned manga: 3 || webtoon collabs: 1 || VNs in progress: 1 (hiatus)

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 02:09:42 AM »
:O you can draw AND program?! I'm so jealous T_T Programming is something I really want to learn but on my first attempt I had to learn that it won't come easy to me. I wish yoou best of luck with your big project and I'm looking forward to see what's coming!