September 19, 2017, 04:47:26 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Devola's Stuff  (Read 3288 times)

Offline devola

• View Profile
Devola's Stuff
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
Browse at your leisure! Let us embark on this road to gitting gud together...

I'll start off by posting my most recent and relevant work.

Spoiler
These characters are OCs for an RPG I will never make but I like day dreaming about. I like to get to "know" a character before drawing them so I doodle their expressions a lot.
Spoiler

A body and angle study done with the character on the right from above.
Spoiler

Sprite sketches using the same character for a game I will probably never make
Spoiler

An OC for a friend, the character on the left and the one on the right are the same characters, she is just a lot younger on the left.
Spoiler

Expressions I drew of the character above
Spoiler

Another OC for a friend, she roleplays as this character in a game we play.
Spoiler

An avatar I worked on for a friend, his only description was "sly"
Spoiler
LOOK I COLORED SOMETHING, a sprite I actually finished, not for anything in particular
Spoiler

Now for some doods

Spoiler
My boy Ken, his Street Fighter 5 version which I personally really like despite the whole banana hair and gorilla face thing people keep saying about him
Spoiler

For Honor was a fun game, I sketched a Kensei a while ago and now I am in the process of digitally redrawing him
Spoiler

Ok so for this character I tried something spicy, I wanted to make a Pirate Prince as an RPG class, so in my attempt to mix "prince" aesthetics with pirate ones, I ended up just making something that looks confused...
Spoiler

As you can see, I rarely ever actually finish most of my work to "completion", I tend to lose interest or focus rather rapidly and move on to something else. This is something I definitely need to fix, on top of that I want to really challenge myself and push to draw a greater variety of characters. Particularly different body types, skin tones, races, species, perspectives, that kind of stuff.

In the interest of doing something like this I would love to do art exchanges or collaborative works if anyone is interested, I'm hoping with someone there to crack the whip I will actually finish my work... I am also willing to do free "commissions" but the terms will be completely up to me (you can't get mad if the work isn't finished). Also I need help coloring stuff.  :unsure:

Offline Shane

• View Profile
Re: Devola's Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
OHHHHHHH NICE sketch i like the pose...

but the free commission in you terms is weird...i thought the customer pick the concept then you make product according to their will.......

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »
i think they meant that if it gets handed to you unfinished, you cant bitch

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
Yeah I guess commission was a poor choice of words, I meant more that I am willing to take on a project just for practice or fun, thus if you take me up on that offer please don't have any unreasonable expectations.

Uploading more art! This time I decided to work on gesture and expression with the body. Also drawing more than 1 character on screen. So far its just a sketch.
Spoiler

This is the reference I used
Spoiler

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »
These are some pretty good drawings, devola. :clapping:

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:04:34 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Vio.

I hope its OK for me to do this, I'm kind of using this space as a place to dump my thoughts and track my improvement. Here is a sneak peek at the next sketch I'm working on.

Spoiler

The reference I used, bottom left:
Spoiler

I'm thinking of finishing a set of these of just these 2 characters dancing. An interesting thing to note is by forcing myself to draw my characters doing these movements and actions I've come to understand form and expression through one's body more. In other words, body language. I feel like if anyone else has trouble with "stiff" poses, trying to do something similar to what I am doing has helped me immensely. It's also fun seeing my super "serious" characters do different things and it helps me understand them more when I have to think about how they may look doing these things. Anyway these are just the ramblings of a struggling artist.

Offline K-Seki

• Sleep-Deprived Multitasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
Ooooo! Shounen artsies~ fuuuuun! I love sketchy work. It's good to use references. :D (A fan of dynamic poses.)

:: =What should today's sketch be?= ::
Open for commissions.

personal series: Ayakashi Refrain on Tapas || active commissioned manga: 3 || webtoon collabs: 1 || VNs in progress: 1 (hiatus)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
Really good stuff. I'm impressed! The dynamic poses look great, although sometimes I question how thin the legs are. Not that I can complain, really, since in some styles (Strawberry Panic comes to mind first) it just kinda happens.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Miska

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:08:03 AM »
...although sometimes I question how thin the legs are. Not that I can complain, really, since in some styles (Strawberry Panic comes to mind first) it just kinda happens.
I guess you kind of said this yourself already, but when we are talking about manga, things like limb thickness and length of a jaw etc are something that varies according to the style. It's always good to learn realism (if not even necessary), but when developing one's own (manga/cartoon) style, it's really important to just draw the way you are comfortable with. Otherwise you might end up in a situation where your art looks great (realistic proportions) but doesn't really feel like your own.

@Devola Your art is really nice and the poses look great! :) And the proportions look good to me  :D Keep up the good work!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
...although sometimes I question how thin the legs are. Not that I can complain, really, since in some styles (Strawberry Panic comes to mind first) it just kinda happens.

I totally get what you mean, and its good that you pointed it out, you have a keen eye and I appreciate that you speak your mind Mahlua. Admittedly, I have struggled a LOT with drawing feet, to this day I still don't really get how to draw bare feet. And with that, awesome segue into...

It's always good to learn realism (if not even necessary)

I totally agree, I can work on this issue by simply studying real anatomy more and then just abstracting from there to develop my own style. I did that with other aspects of my drawings, I should totally do that with feet.
Thank you for the kind words and the great advice Miska.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
I think there used to be a workshop where you draw five feet a day or something around on the site somewhere. The workshops don't get a lot of love these days, sadly. Maybe we can all overhaul and start bringing them back up. I have trouble with feet as well, especially bare feet. They're as intricate as hands, except more rectangular, if that makes sense.

Also, I want to clarify that I didn't mean my statement to disregard your style in any way. I was intending more of "I'm not sure if this is part of your style or something you're working on developing." I'm not sure I accurately gave that impression, and I apologize if it came out wrong.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »

Also, I want to clarify that I didn't mean my statement to disregard your style in any way. I was intending more of "I'm not sure if this is part of your style or something you're working on developing." I'm not sure I accurately gave that impression, and I apologize if it came out wrong.

No worries, it did not come off that way at all. It is honestly a good question, it is a little hard for me to answer. I definitely did not deliberately INTEND to draw feet as thin as I do right now and they ended up this way likely as a result of me avoiding the need to actually draw full feet. It's good food for thought to think about whether or not it should be considered "style" since it is a result of me being unable to do something.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
Cool, cool. As for that question, yeah, we could have an entire thread philosophizing about it. Generally speaking, the only time I don't accept "It's my style" is when it's being used as an excuse to brush away any and all forms of constructive criticism, as some...crap, the only word that's coming to mind is "toys", but that's a graffiti term. Ah well, we'll roll with it. As some toys are apt to do. Basically people posting art that looks like garbage and expecting only "good jobs" or "keep it up".

Art is variable. Style changes. If you want to work on something, work on it until it looks how you want it to look.
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Ok this is the probably gonna be the last little study I do with these characters, this was a lot of fun to attempt and I feel like I "get it" a bit more.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:33:09 PM by devola »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
When dealing with images, you can actually set the image width or height using BBCode commands. I do this a lot because my phone makes things outrageously huge (like 1200x2400).

What you can do is, with brackets ofc, (IMG height=500)insert your url here(/IMG). The number you put after height or width= is the number of pixels to assign to that quality, so that code would automatically resize the image to 500 pixels in height and keep the aspect ratio. It saves a lot of time.

That said, the image you have there looks pretty good. I'm not sure if I've mentioned, but your style is very similar to the present-day anime style, especially in the angle work of the face and linework in general. Just as a side note, a cool thing you can try for yourself as far as proportions are concerned: the length of your foot matches the length of your forearm. It sounds weird, but if you're flexible, you can put your heel just past your elbow and your toes will probably reach around your wrist. If you're not flexible, you can try it with your shoes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:34:31 PM by MahluaandMilk »
Got Ecchi? Join us.