December 12, 2017, 06:48:35 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 227 times)

Offline MissingName

• View Profile
Hi.
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:07:18 PM »
Hello. I'm... Just call me "Name" for now. And the way I stumbled unto this site was that I was looking for a place to express my idea for a manga and I decided one day to look for a site to develop the story, look for an artist, etc.

However upon joining I'm faced with a few very perplexing problems. I have no idea if the my idea for a manga  has already been used. That idea is this:

An american woman living in Japan created an pen name of [Insert name here], a famous manga writer and artist, however her fans have decided to ask for her to reveal herself to the world. This is bad because she fears that she won't be accepted mostly because all of her fans are die hard, traditional manga loving, Japanese citizens. Eventually she ends up talking to her Japanese-American friend, who moved to Japan too for a vacation, while he mooches of her friend. (I know what you are thinking. And no, they are not in a relationship or ever will be in one with each other. They are strictly friends.) And then the friend gives her the idea of hiring some Japanese guy to act as her pen name and the friend fitted the picture perfectly. The main idea is not to get discovered by the the anyone, or at least keep those who know quiet. (Another note. The story is about both of them. )

Now this is not all that goes on during the story, I'm just trying to keep it short. Also, please tell me if there is already a manga like this.

Another problem, is that I want to get into making this right away, but I have problems coming up with fresh jokes for this comedy.

Lastly, and sort of the most important, is that upon arriving on this forum, is that I have no idea what I'm doing writing wise.

I was also hoping this forum can help me with my dream of making a web manga.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
Well I haven't heard anything particularly to that tune before. It only very vaguely reminds me of another old raider's story from way back when, but I don't think he ever really got anywhere, and it had nothing to do with writing manga. That aside, originality isn't really a concern at this point in contemporary literature, extending into comics and graphic novels. What matters more is taking these things and executing them in a new way that strikes somehow differently.

Another thing that I see as an issue for you is that you've made your summary rather long. You said there was more to it than that, and you already stated your main premise in the main body of text. There's also that, from what I see, the main points of this story don't seem very comedic, since it addresses a fairly serious problem, although that's not to say that it can't be done, just that as of right now I don't connect those dots. It's very nit-picky of me, and I realize I've gotten to that point lately, but after a long while of receiving feedback from a friend of mine who is published, I start to see things more and more critically. It's not like I want to shoot you down; in all honesty, I want to see what I can do to help. I don't want to scare you off, so I sincerely hope you don't see this as an immediate attack.

Shoving that aside for now, welcome to MangaRaiders! I hope you enjoy your stay. I have to say, it's nice to see someone new who can at least capitalize and format paragraphs decently...punctuation could use a little work though, but that's true of everyone at some point. Commas are tremendously overused by the majority...augh, f---biscuits. I'm rambling again.

What you'd probably want to do from here is to open a thread in the Develop Your Story section from the main page under the Writers' Section where you can post a more thorough outline and even chapter drafts of your story. Don't try to send GoogleDoc links or upload Word documents, contrary to what the "attachments and other options" may have you believe; however, it's a good idea for a long post to type it in a word processor first and then copy and paste it to post into the thread, just in case the site tries to log you out. Nobody likes losing data, and that happens sometimes. Just a heads up.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
Welcome to mangaraiders!

As Mahlua said, it's not really originality of story that matters so much, but how you present it. Plus if you keep looking for ways your story is similar to other stories, you'll never get anything done.

As for the main plot you've got going there, I don't really see why it's an issue. There are plenty of mangaka who are shrouded in mystery. Nobody knows who the guy who wrote death note really is. When he does appear in public it's always behind a screen, and even then people say it might be a stand in actor just playing the part.

So really, just pressure from fans can't be enough, unless it's in the character's nature to give in to such things.

And not to go too far off into a tangent, but always be careful when writing other cultures, especially when you want to get into the details of something (like a profession). Real life is not anime after all. So always do your research. Otherwise you just come off as a wannabe twerp who doesn't know what they're talking about.

But I digress. I'm not here to dissuade you, just to give you some things to think about. See you around!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MissingName

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Thanks for replying! Also...
That aside, originality isn't really a concern at this point in contemporary literature, extending into comics and graphic novels. What matters more is taking these things and executing them in a new way that strikes somehow differently. 

I appreciate the advice! I am sort of new at writing anything at all and I hope I can find some help when I actually begin writing. I gotta be honest though I got exited real fast when I had the idea and just decided to join this forum, thinking I could make it in a snap. But the truth is that I feel, now, in way over my head.

Another thing that I see as an issue for you is that you've made your summary rather long. You said there was more to it than that, and you already stated your main premise in the main body of text. There's also that, from what I see, the main points of this story don't seem very comedic, since it addresses a fairly serious problem, although that's not to say that it can't be done, just that as of right now I don't connect those dots. It's very nit-picky of me, and I realize I've gotten to that point lately, but after a long while of receiving feedback from a friend of mine who is published, I start to see things more and more critically. It's not like I want to shoot you down; in all honesty, I want to see what I can do to help. I don't want to scare you off, so I sincerely hope you don't see this as an immediate attack.

Oh don't worry! I don't view it as an attack. And actually, there are a bunch of other situations going on that make the situation more comedic. Like a goofy reporter for his own digital manga magazine, a few public appearances where the duo has to use an earpiece and you know, stuff like that.

Shoving that aside for now, welcome to MangaRaiders! I hope you enjoy your stay. I have to say, it's nice to see someone new who can at least capitalize and format paragraphs decently...punctuation could use a little work though, but that's true of everyone at some point. Commas are tremendously overused by the majority...augh, f---biscuits. I'm rambling again.

Sorry about that! I have a little trouble with English.

What you'd probably want to do from here is to open a thread in the Develop Your Story section from the main page under the Writers' Section where you can post a more thorough outline and even chapter drafts of your story. Don't try to send GoogleDoc links or upload Word documents, contrary to what the "attachments and other options" may have you believe; however, it's a good idea for a long post to type it in a word processor first and then copy and paste it to post into the thread, just in case the site tries to log you out. Nobody likes losing data, and that happens sometimes. Just a heads up.

Ok, that's a I'll go ahead and start writing a plot, some character descriptions and maybe a draft. Also thanks for the tip! I know I wouldn't like losing a an almost complete thread.

As for the main plot you've got going there, I don't really see why it's an issue. There are plenty of mangaka who are shrouded in mystery. Nobody knows who the guy who wrote death note really is. When he does appear in public it's always behind a screen, and even then people say it might be a stand in actor just playing the part.

I had not considered this... Well it is in the female protagonists nature to help with charity events and the like, maybe she feels pressured to make an appearance in a charity event? If my favorite mangaka hosted a charity event and I wasn't sure he'd show up, I probably wouldn't go. (That actually sound like a horrible thing to do now that I think of it. But it is the truth.)

And not to go too far off into a tangent, but always be careful when writing other cultures, especially when you want to get into the details of something (like a profession). Real life is not anime after all. So always do your research. Otherwise you just come off as a wannabe twerp who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'll be sure to research other cultures and the lives of other mangaka just to give my story a little more depth.

Offline YoUr EyEs

• Leader of the {CONTANT PAIN AT GROUND ZERO}?•?
  • ?Heart Shaker?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Welcome to MR~!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:41:21 AM by MiNzY_Unohana »