June 20, 2018, 12:53:23 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What Supplies Do You Use  (Read 544 times)

Offline IndigoGirl59

• View Profile
What Supplies Do You Use
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
Just out of curiousity what art supplies does everyone use for drawing manga. Since I'm a graphic design student I mostly use the supplies that came with the art kit I had to buy when i first entered the program. For the most part they are good for drawing manga, however I have found that I prefer Copic markers to the prisma color markers that came with my kit.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
Re: What Supplies Do You Use
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »
The first days i went to Architect school my teacher give me pencil and knife, i was very
angry back then, there only 6 people in class, 3 days later we down to 4 people

the pencil length almost gone and my wrist hurt so much (he made me draw straight line for 6 hours)

If i had use ruler it would be easy but i would never know that by manually draw line with you own hand
can make picture more natural style

:p so much for history, right now i just use wacom intuos pro(LOL) ,250 gsm comic paper,
copic marker (you can buy it in kinokuniya or if you have amazon prime just do amazon)

I also use cannon mark IV and ef 200mm f/2l is usm lens,this is for photography and in case you want to draw from photo it will be very useful.

as for digital coloring........the most important for me for coloring is you PC display, retina display (aka apple product)
...let me tell you.i don't really like apple product, but i have it only BECAUSE THE COLOR FROM APPLE RETINA DISPLAY IS PRODUCE TRUE COLOR without calibrate the display

Ofcoz if you're on budget you can use normal display for window 7-10 etc but make sure you have calibrate tool
for you display otherwise other people who look at you digital color picture may see different color from what
you try to put in there (and sometime the "feel" of the picture it change just by color change)

Last thing i wanna say is good artist don't get good because of tool they have but because of how they use those tool instead. I agree with using whatever tool necessary to achiever what you want.

Offline IndigoGirl59

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
I have heard there is a difference in color between macs and pcs. I agree that it depends more on the technique then the supplies themselves. I would also say it helps to practice a lot.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Beholder Of The Piirakka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »
I use mechanical pencils mostly, just random stuff I get at Wal-Mart, also those blue pencils. I have those Prismacolour pens for inking, and a super underutilized thing of 12 copics as well as other random markers. Back when I...actually made comics I used my handy light box to ink things, so bam blank sheet on the pencils, put some paper clips on it, and jam. Then I got one a them fancy tablets which I only used for inking.

As I've said many times...my secret weapon is my Shakugan no Shana pencil board. It's a flimsy piece of like...plastic that's not even as big as a sheet of paper yet it's been a sort of good luck charm for me. I drew many comics on it since 2013...*sigh*. Can't forget my Empire Strikes Back cup...it holds things. It holds things very well, it's good at that. I draw on clipboards mostly, sometimes I put the top down on things to get that elevation.

Ugh, I need to get drawing again! I have all I need just no will! Come on! :push:

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
I thought people were moving to digital formats for doing manga.

I use a pencil, printer paper, a ruler, to do a manga rough draft page. I draw better by hand. Then I scan it to computer and start over by going over with tablet. Basically, I trace over what I originally drew. All in all, $90 total cost. Not including pencil and paper costs.

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
Wacom cintiq 13hd, before i was using an intuos 5 medium

Offline IndigoGirl59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
Wacom cintiq 13hd, before i was using an intuos 5 medium
I find that I'm better at traditional art, but maybe that's because that's what I've been doing for years. Last fall I got a good deal on a surface pro 4 and installed photoshop onto it and have attempted doing digital art, but even though I am improving at digital art I still feel more comfortable doing traditional art.