November 24, 2017, 12:15:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Can we please talk about Erased? (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) SPOILERS!  (Read 184 times)

Offline Mysie

• Attic Dweller
  • 'NoFace' reminds me of my Uncle.
    • View Profile
Damn.

*SPOILERS*

I don't think I've been hit in the face so hard with a show since Zankyou no Terror. The funny thing is, the concept isn't all that great on paper. So, this guy can go back in time? Big whoop. Wants to solve a mystery? Great. Drama, drama, drama. Check. Check. Check. However, the way it was executed was like nothing I've ever seen before, it was absolutely stunning. I'm not gonna say I've seen story plots like this all over, because honestly I haven't but, it was quite wonderfully simple, which is why the writer could do so much with it. Finally, a show I can seriously get my teeth into. I get bored pretty quickly and rapidly, I need decent shows to keep me on my feet otherwise I start resenting the entire platform.

It's stupid, I know.

Anyways, back to the point at hand. The semi-constant switch between the past and present and the way it coincided with eachother and linked so creatively and dramatically too, it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. The character dynamic, (there wasn't MUCH character development, but it genuinely wasn't needed here) the somewhat innocent essence that accompanied a very dark margin was incredibly well done as well. You could see that the producers were very careful about the kind of vibe they wanted to create. This all sounds too vague. I've literally just finished watching it so maybe it's all washing around in my head right now. Probably not the best idea to write this now, well, whatever, here it is.

Of course, I have a few chords to pull here however; there was not much indication of Hiromi's endangerment. I mean the way he was introduced into the story, I thought, well, maybe because his 'X-Day' was further than Kayo's so there wasn't much use worrying about it at that point, I might be being somewhat of a pedant but, if Satoru kept altering the past (by saving Kayo for example) wouldn't have other things fell into place instead? Like Yoshiro changing his course of action due to these constant jilts in his plan, he could have struck at any moment. It just didn't seem consistent to me.

I'll be honest, overall it was great but, the show pretty much ended at episode 7. Kayo was safe, yay. Day was saved. HUH?! But, what's this?! THERES MORE? Come on, they could have integrated all three, two of the students went to the same friggin' school, nothing could have been done there? Seriously? It just seemed choppy. Oh, and Aya, the third girl's school was right round the corner, so what the hell? Maybe, I should read the Manga...

And, the COMA?! Really? Jesus christ, I didn't realise I was watching an episode of Rumbling Hearts or better yet, School Days? I can't remember if anyone had a coma in that all I remember is a lot of hospital visits and blood. OOOH, HES BEEN ASLEEP FOR 15 YEARS. Like, come on dudes, you're just clutching for straws now. :/
Though I did think it was pretty cool that Hiromu and Kenya dedicated their life and career's to helping Sotaru arrest the mudwad BUT YOU DONT SEE ANY OF THAT. AT ALL. That would have been really interesting, I think.

Atleast there were no filler episodes... phew.

And the most cringeworthy scene of all...

'HEY, YOSHIRO, GUESS WHAT? I've got my memories back...' with the close up zoom in on his eyes. LIKE. BADASSMOFOISBACK. And, then the Ocean's 11 OST starts blasting in the background. It was like I was watching David Caruso act. Forreaal yo? -_- I know it was part of the whole SHOW DOWN, but still... Oh, my god, can we talk about that please... The stand off... on the roof, the whole long ass explanation, shoved right in your face as if they're talking to a bunch of people who haven't just been watching for THE LAST 11 EPISODES. I know, a lot of shows do that, I just, it rubs me the wrong way and for this, it seemed like that kind of execution... the show deserved a bit more than that cliche SHOW DOWN tripe that everyone knows and loves.

And, falling off the roof onto the 'don't jump, you have so much to live for' pillowthingy. COPY CATS, THATS SOME DEATH NOTE SH*T. For Anime standards, yeah. I'm only joking but this isn't an episode of CSI. OR IS IT SOTARU CARUSO?!

However, the verbal exchange between Yoshiro and Sotaru at the end was absolutely excellent, it was a well thought out psychological conclusion and hardly been seen before, I was genuinely impressed.

So, all in all. I thought it was a great show.

What did you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:02:00 AM by Mysie »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
My overall opinion is pretty much the same as yours. Very engaging and enjoyable show from the start, yet pretty lackluster by the end, for a lot of the reasons you describe.

A couple of disagreements:
The coma part I thought was clever. It's basically a reversal of what he's been experiencing– he ends up going to the future, from his perspective, not of his own volition. Everything after that I wasn't too crazy about. I don't remember the exact problems I had with it because it was a while ago, but I definitely remember being rather unimpressed with the last couple of episodes.

That final conversation, to me, was one of those dialogue sequences that occasionally show up in anime of this kind, gorged on their own convoluted logic revealed in too short a span to have any impact even if it was clear to the watcher what was being communicated. That said, I couldn't even tell you why I thought that because it's been a bit.

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Erased was pretty enjoyable but overall had a bad ending and last few episodes that completely threw off the entire series for me.

Watching it every week was fun for the ooooh what's gonna happen next type thing and for a while it was pretty good. I especially liked the letter box format of it, and though the killer was made entirely too obvious it was more how Satoru was gonna take him down. There where lots of good scenes with Kayo along the way but then the last 2 episodes came and it all just went blaaaah, even before that to.

The end was bad, the final confrontation was bad. It was like fricking a 80's cartoon ending where he looks down and ooooh look at this got ya! Looks like evil never pays off. Curses! I'll get you next time! That was just a bad way to end it. Erased is about the journey which was good, but it doesn't pay off as well.

Offline Mysie

• Attic Dweller
  • 'NoFace' reminds me of my Uncle.
    • View Profile
You definitely worded it better than me, that's for sure. But, I agree, the ending was bad. Such a total boner kill for what could have been an excellent show. As I said, after Episode 7, it trailed way off track. Such a shame, really.