January 20, 2018, 01:55:12 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Poll

Short story contests #2

GreenBeverage
1 (33.3%)
Eukocar
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 11:50:42 AM

Author Topic: Short story contests!  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
Re: Short story contests!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Just so we can pick out a winner afterwards

Offline Coldmiser8675

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
hiya, is it too late to join in? I've been scrolling down and reading of a tiebreak...
Check out my story! Honey, Stalin Took the Kids >>http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,13888.0.html

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
You can join up after tomorrow's tie break.

Offline eukocar

• its not perverted its art!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
I am halfway done with the story forgive me
It will be finished today

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »
You'll get there Euko  :ninja: Just keep pushing!

I had a neat idea and decided to do my short story based on a bigger one I've done. Now, I know the rules say about doing work that's already been done, so although my bigger story has already been written, this shorter one is original but in the same setting.

So here it is; Instinct

Spoiler
Enrico felt a chill as he slid off the warm saddle of his horse and into the cold air of the early morning. Pulling tightly on his fur-lined coat, the smell of leather and manure clung to him like perfume. Two weeks ago it would have been perfume that clung to him like perfume, soaked within rich green silks. Appearing from behind, his superior Ser Nathan did the same, his muddied armor making a clunking noise as his boots hit the grass. Both men approached a small river flowing westwards, the direction they had just ridden from. Nathan reached his wrinkled hands into a side pocket and pulled out a rectangular device with a small screen and dunked it into the water.

"It's safe to drink." Ser Sanya said matter of factly, riding up to the pair.

As if responding to her, the device beeped green. Positive. Nathan loosened the straps of his helmet, taking it off to reveal a salt-white beard peppered with black. "How did you guess that, farm girl?" He scooped a handful of the liquid and gulped it down.

"It's clear and fast moving. Slow rivers are those you should look out for, eh?" Her accent made her voice sound deep "And I come from a family of hunters, not farmers."

Keeping distance from the two, Enrico dabbed his hands and wetted his long, greasy hair with it. He clenched his teeth as the cold droplets rolled down his neck. The two knights saw his discomfort, whispered to each other and laughed. Gods, this is no place for a bard. I should be washing at the public baths daily, not weekly at a miserable river with those two. He pulled off his leather boots and slowly lowered them into the water, the cold numbing his blisters. Sanya and Nathan stripped at the waist and proceeded to wash the sweat from their bodies.

There was hours of riding ahead of them till they reached Twigtown. Their plan was a response to the sudden bandit attacks happening between the lands of Oakley and Rathlin. Enrico remembered the discussion well between his Lord-Heir Pyrhus and Princess Ericka, just two days ago in Fort Reed. Pyrhus advocated hunting the bandits across the border and killing any they found, an unoriginal plan from a warrior mindset. Ericka however, despite being a warrior herself, had a more political mindset. Oakley valued its independence even when technically they were vassals to Pyrhus and his Lord-Father. To avoid a diplomatic incident of armed soldiers crossing the border, the princess devised a plan of predicting where and why the bandits attacked. By sending small parties along the border to each major town, they could gather information of recent attacks and determine the pattern within them. It was here Ericka declared Once we know which fruit these flies land on, we'll squash them by surprise! And thrust her War hammer high in the air to a mighty roar of agreement from their war party.

"With so few soldiers, they had to drag me into it. And of course, it had to be the most distant settlement." Enrico grumbled

"What's that you say, singer boy?" Nathan was drying his chest with a blanket.

Enrico ignored the question with a scowl. He couldn't keep up with condescending knights and their eccentric ways. Earlier on Nathan refused to wake up from camp, so Sanya aimed her pistol and shot him in his armored shoulder plate. Of course, the bullet left only a scratch. The armor was made within The Capital, same as the pistol and same as the device they used to the check the water. What irritated Enrico most was that Nathan laughed it all off, despite sporting a large bruise. He almost feared what strange prank the two would pull on him if he stayed too close with his back turned.

"Hey boy." Nathan called out "Come here, I got a question for ya."

Knowing he would have been ordered to do so if he refused, Enrico put his boots back on and approached the pair. They were near fully dressed when he arrived. Nathan scratched his beard "We were talking about what we missed most about home. Thought you could add some input." Sanya quickly followed with "I miss the good food most of all. Military rations have too much salt in them."

The normality of the conversation almost caught him off guard, but Enrico added his answer "Women or wine... probably women. My father isn't too concerned with what I do, so I can visit the brothel more than most."

"Damn, I betted it would be music." Sanya threw a silver to the older man.

Annoyed, Enrico turned and mounted his horse. The pain from his blisters returning. He swore that if Twigtown didn't have any blondes at the brothel, he'd stab his own foot and be medically discharged from the whole ordeal. The knights did the same and set off towards the glaring sun, it's rays evaporating what cold lingered in the air.

"Don't get too pissy, singer boy." Nathan scratched his beard, his helmet hanging from his belt as he enjoyed the sun on his face, "Us knights don't really get on with other people. Might even go as far as to say we're not human."

Enrico changed the subject away from him "What do you miss most, Ser?"

Nathan continued scratching his beard, "Me? An old bugger like me has grown tired of the basics and luxuries. War though, true soldiers don't get tired of that. There's nothing better than cutting a git in two and having some city boy write a poem about it."

Feeling the verbal jab, Enrico was about to make his own retort when he was cut off, "Bandits. To the north." Sanya sniffed the air "Group of them."

Right on cue, five horsemen appeared in distance over a hill. Although there was a good 800 yards between them, they were closing that distance quickly.

"Looks like you got your wish, Ser." Enrico said to himself.

Nathan's fingers went from scratching to holding his chin thoughtfully. He glanced over at the group and back at his three. With a small smile he pulled out his pistol and ordered the same from everyone else. Sanya had thirty years less of experience compared to Nathan, she hesitated at arming herself after glancing at the foes approaching. Enrico managed to keep his face straight, though he could not prevent his hands from shaking. Does this mean I'll be killing my first foe? I can't let those two see me scared, I'll never hear the end of it.

"Seems like they're from the Jinete clan. Most likely they'll get close one at a time, throw a javelin then retreat for another to take a shot. Once they've immobilized a victim, they'll loot them but leave the rest of the group alone." Nathan cocked his pistol. "We might have guns, but we're at the disadvantage of slower reloading times. That's why I want us to form a triangle formation. Enrico at the front."

The trio took shape of wedge, Nathan being the closest to the bandits who were now catching in behind him.

Nathan continued, "I'll fire the first shot, then we rotate to cover each other when reloading. Aim when they're raising their javelin, it exposes their chest. Don't bother going for the head. On horseback you'll probably miss."

The pistol felt heavy in Enrico's hands. It had a wooden grip and an iron barrel burnt black at the end. He tilted and readied his aim at the closest bandit. He could make out the whites of his eyes from this distance. The man was covered in paints and scraps of fur sewn together. Metal helmets so dull that they no longer gleamed in the sunlight.

Letting out a roar, the bandit raised a javelin. A heartbeat later he lowered it, along with his body, head buried in the blood stained fur of his horse.

"Change!" Nathan ordered, opening the barrel to his pistol and ejecting the cartridge.

Sanya took point and waited for an opportunity as instructed. When she took her chance, she only managed to catch her opponent in the arm, causing him to fall back. It was now Enrico's turn. Gripping tightly onto his horse's reigns, he caught a view of his challenger. A teen girl, no older than sixteen but as bloodthirsty as the other Jinetes, screamed at him and reached for her weapon. Enrico had a clear shot at this distance, despite the galloping of his horse shaking his aim and the wind in his eyes making him tear, he had a clear shot. But he didn't fire.

The girl wasn't so generous. She moved in close and thrusted her javelin towards his groin, wedging it into the thick leather of the saddle. Enrico yelped and struggled to pull the pointed tip loose. Realizing he had another clear shot, he aimed his pistol directly at her head. But again he hesitated. He turned his head away.

"Sorry!" He whined

A loud bang sent the horse straight into the ground. The girl's naked face being dragged along mud and stone. Surprised, Enrico shook himself from his frustration and swapped over with Nathan.

"Not bad, music boy. Even if she survives, she'll probably break her neck." The veteran laughed.

"How many of these bandits are children?" Enrico demanded, eyes tearing not from the wind but from anguish "Why are we killing children?"

Nathan raised a brow, "You don't understand how these people work, boy. They murder and rape well before they're adults. They're-" Before getting his answer, Enrico turned to see a bright blue light enveloping the old man. A great heat emitted from the fire that engulfed the upper half of his body, leaving smoldering remains of flesh and bone. The horse screamed and fell over in pain.

"What...?" Enrico went pale, dropping his gun in the confusion

Another blue light glared at the bottom of Sanya's horse, it's legs disappearing within the blast and the body being forced upwards along with the knight. They hit the ground hard with an unnatural splat. Enrico could see the nearest bandit holding what was supposed to be a javelin, but had the same blue light coated around the spear point. That's not metal. That's an aradite crystal! That would explain how it burnt through Nathan's armor. These crystals would be weaved into blades to make armor-piercing swords. Yet in its raw form it was highly explosive.

Without a second thought, Enrico galloped at full speed. He started whimpering to himself, "How could they get such material? How could they organize themselves to even craft it? I'm all alone! They're not stopping either, they're just following me! What do I do? What do I do?" His words hung in his throat when he saw a horse riding figure approaching in front of him. His features were masked by his own shadow.

"They have me trapped." Enrico croaked "I'm days away from Pyrhus and the others. I can't escape."

He said this with fear in his voice, yet somehow his arms moved on their own, towards his sword. I couldn't even shoot that girl, let alone look her in the eyes. Yet my hands feel calm. He started to draw his weapon. Is this how people react when faced with certain death? No... I won't die here. Just to have another knight spit on my grave. I'll show them that a normal man can wield steel just as well.

He dropped his sword.

"*censored* me sideways." Enrico cursed. He turned his attention to rider at front coming towards him. Unarmored, unarmed, and unprepared, Enrico looked up to sky. The sun shied away behind the clouds, as if embarrassed to watch his situation play out. Sighing, he pulled down his tear-stained coat and bared his neck, "Please, make it quick and painless."

The rider went past him. Feeling only the air slapping against his skin, Enrico breathed and watched the rider. He was a greying man, mouth covered with a wool scarf and wearing a dusted trench coat. Galloping at full speed towards the three remaining bandits, he whipped out a pistol and fired not one, but three shots without reloading. The riders fell from their horses in unison and dragged along the dirt till their feet slipped from the stirrups. The rider wheeled around and caught up alongside Enrico.

"Name and occupation?" His voice was metallic and gravel like

"E-Enrico. Son of Baronet Esteban, bard and personal musician to Lord-Heir Pyrhus." Enrico replied. "Who are you?"

"Lord-Heir? I've been in the wilderness for too long." The man grunted, his numerous creases multiplying on his brow. "I'm Stephos. Royal Sheriff."

"You mean... you're part of the Arbiters?"

"Correct. And if I'm to assume you are near Lord Pyrhus, then I believe we can work a deal out."

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Contest is close, winner by default is GreenBeverage, congrats

Next contest will be on when GreenBeverage give out a theme.

People can join in if they want.

Offline eukocar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
oh :blush:
Spoiler

took too long...... stil gonna post my  story.
Spoiler
Short story time instinct.
Based on the pinsk floodings.
Week 91 of the great war.
After 5 bloody weeks of fighting off the non stop offensive´s send by the russians. With them taking massive casualtie´s without any logical reason. 
At least we thought.
Our commander would always say,  ´thats what russians do´. While sitting in his private room deep in the trench.
The soldier behind me suddanly whispered, ´i found him… well most of him´.
I turned around and saw the young private smiling. while holding the severed head of our commander.
I started grinnicking and responded, ´ Losing your head in an emergency is a no brainer´.
We both started laughing and dumped the head where it belonged.
We continiued our patrol along the newly formed lake.
Doing our best to reatain what litlle sanity we had left we decided to return tot he newly formed base.
Survivers! Yelled the private and proceeded to gain their attantion.
I didnt reconize the uniform´s, maybe they are austrian or maybe…… ´they are aiming at us take cover sire´  the private lost his balance and fell in the water…
´No you cant swim!´ i jumped after him knowing i could die from the smallest cut.
i could not believe what i witnessed. The water had an slighty pink colour and was filled with the half rotten body´s of fallen soldiers. Dont get distracted by the death consentrate!
I noticed the private holding on to an burned tree a few meters ahead. He is oddly calm´ i thought while swimming deeper towards him. Almost got you private!
I grabbed his arm and started swimming to the surface.
Its like i dont make any progress at all. Its getting darker and darker.
I looked down for a second to see how the private only to see his half eaten face. Is he smiling at me?
They are all smiling what is the matter!?’ i yelled’ only to see more corpses smiling at me.
‘Let go of me now private!’  you think this is funny you all think this is funnny!’
His body was never found. 
 “After the battle, they say that the river water turned pink. Yes, that is as it should be, since they sent here at least 5,000-6,000 men, and all of them remained in the river.”   

congrats on your win green ;D
an other event inspired the death marches form lord of the rings.

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
How could I refuse?

Alright Tie break votes will be undergo

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
Votes will be taken until the 28th

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Good old Russian humour eh?  :ninja: You have quite the preference for life-threatening scenarios eukocar! Good job on writing that  :ninja: May the best person win!

Offline eukocar

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
i was watching this video while brainstorming and thats how it happend..
its an good channel!
it sounds odd but our goverment does not see thise conflict as important.  most schools dont even give history anymore!!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:08:01 PM by eukocar »

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
I love those sorts of channels, they helped me when we studied World War I on my uni course  :ninja:

Offline eukocar

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »

I feel kind of sorry for not voting.....  It would have ended in another tie. But i am kind of regretting it...

The theme next week will be........ Slice of life!

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
Congratulations Euko!  :ninja: I'll try and beat you next week!

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
The vote end on the 28th as specified in my previous post.