September 24, 2017, 09:55:59 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Scanner vs Drawing Tablet  (Read 272 times)

Offline EalingLa

• View Profile
Scanner vs Drawing Tablet
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »
Hey, I'm new to this site! I apologize if i'm meant to introduce myself legitimately somewhere first, happy to do so, I'm just not great at forums but I think its a great platform.

I'm a person who used to draw a lot but now lives a screwed up art/life balance life. I've recently thought about trying re-set that balance by starting a small level web comic.

I have my simple idea but now i need to start thinking about the upload; What do the artists here recommend? Should I invest in a scanner and keep basic; Or go for a drawing tablet, maybe take a couple of courses to get up to speed and then, do drawing tablets make delivering and upload easier over all?

As for host/domains - To keep it simple, i'm thinking tumblr, wordpress.com or even Instagram; SUPER simple but will both Scanning/Tablet art work for these platforms equally?

Love to hear what you think.

Also....Is "small level web comic"an oxymoron? Have i just revealed myself as a basic-moron?

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
Re: Scanner vs Drawing Tablet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »
When i started i bought scanner and tablet. The plan was to draw traditionally then screentone, edit and finish digitally with the tablet. I ended up doing everything digitally. My tablet is the best thing i bought for myself.

But its really up to you. Play with digital and traditional see what you like.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »
Before you worry about the several platforms you could put your webcomic out on, make a page. That's how you'll know which flow works for you.

Try penciling your page on an A4 paper, inking traditionally, then scanning it into a PC. If that's not practical then do it digitally. It can be any random test page, but see how long it takes for you to have 1 finished page and if you like the flow.

You'll need a buffer anyways for if you start posting online, so make sure to have at least two pages ready to post for your webcomic.

As for me, I just went to comic fury, what probably isn't a great place to start when you want to make comics, but I sorely need the experience of simply having my comic out there and building up a pace one by one. So far because of how little I know about making a page, I'm not going to think about other platforms before I have a reliable work flow.

What's your comic about anyways? And why not introduce yourself to the forum in The Welcome Center?

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Tablet. It will go probably twice as fast as traditional.

Facebook       Patreon 

Offline EalingLa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Thank you so much everyone- I think you've made a really good point Legomaestro, thank you.

I'm paper sketching at the moment because i'd hoped to get 6-10 "pages"/posts ready(ish) before launching any thing. The idea of digital screentone has made me considered both but i'd like to commit and get something off the ground before spending all the money.

Platform-wise; Comicfury looks good, i'll keep that in mind.

It's nothing right now - I called it a wedcomic but i think it will be closer to a webcomic strip (is that a thing?) - A friend and I are coming up with illustrated short stories.

Legomaestro -whats your webcomic?

And yup, let me move my intro to the welcome center!

Offline MK

• I read everything on MR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:25:45 AM »
For webcomics i recommend a tablet because it will look cleaner when posted online.  Be sure to remember that most people view webcomics on their phones so endless scrolling is more preferred over page by page.

For platforms i recommend Tapastic (Tapas is the app name) and Line webtoon, both let you keep rights to the story so you can post on multiple sites.  If you get featured on Line webtoon then they'll pay you a monthly wage (they also own your story when featured but you get an official job as an artist and still have control of your story)
Stalk me here
Want a commission?  Join the waitlist here
Ask me if you need constructive criticism on art or panel layout.  Practice and constructive criticism are the fastest ways to improve