June 18, 2018, 11:21:28 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Star Wars Fans Are Dead, Long Live The Viewers  (Read 502 times)

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Star Wars Fans Are Dead, Long Live The Viewers
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »
This is a rant with no clear objective.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. Movies = profits. always have been, always will be.

Star Wars is leaning to the casual viewer than actual fans. What started this? Comic book movies becoming cool to watch. I don't see people entering the fandom. and if they do, it's just for a brief moment.

Do girls even watch star wars? yes. Do they enter the fandom, i want to see some statistics on that.

This is just bullcrap ranting, don't take me serious.

Also, if Star Wars is full of liberal ideologies, the insinuation of becoming moderates (no pure dark or light users) doesn't really fit that model anymore. Moderates are good since they don't fall victim to absolutism. 

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Fans Are Dead, Long Live The Viewers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
Counter point: while the movies may be going farther into the main stream (and for the record, yeah girls have always been watching Star wars), there are still like, 5 expanded universe novels coming out every year, at least 3 concurrently running comics (not to mention spin offs), plus a TV show that needs to be watched in order to keep up with everything.

So basically, nothing has changed from the last 20 years or so. The movies are still an easy access point. (And some people only care about the numbered ones), but there is still a deep dark hole of expanded universe to fall into, just like before.

Not to mention, the people making the new movies are people who grew up on Star Wars. The inmates are now running the asylum, and specifically making the Star wars they always wanted to see. We're essentially looking at officially licensed Star wars fan fiction with a budget.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
I mean as a bigggggg time running fan of star wars, what Coryn said. The show Rebels is a huge deal to me and my brother who grew reading the Thrawn Trilogy and Rogue squadron comics. Thrawn being another major recurring villain in Rebels and getting a new book based on his backstory is a big deal and a canon female Mandalorian is the best thing ever.
Rarely sighted apparent pixel artist

Offline eukocar

• its not perverted its art!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
I recently got into the star wars expended universe. Now legends of course.
I am currently reading the books of the prequels. They are way better!!
Especially part one. I recommend if you hate the prequels.
Star wars the force awakens made me loose faith in Disney and j.j Abrahams
 >:(
Went to rogue one and liked a lot more.

Lets hope abeloth is still a thing! Disney please...

Offline GreenTrap

• Ronpa Ronpa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
For some reasom I liked Force Awakens more than Rogue One even though I prefer darker and more mature stories  :hmm: *Heads up Star Wars, make an M-Rated movie please*

Then again, I watched Force Awakens in cinema so I guess the better experience left a better aftertaste  :hmm: I just know either way that I'm still pretty excited to see the new one.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
This is a response with no clear objective:

The common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius), or hippo, is a large, mostly herbivorous, semiaquatic mammal native to sub-Saharan Africa, and one of only two extant species in the family Hippopotamidae, the other being the pygmy hippopotamus (Choeropsis liberiensis or Hexaprotodon liberiensis). The name comes from the ancient Greek for "river horse" (???????????). After the elephant and rhinoceros, the common hippopotamus is the third-largest type of land mammal and the heaviest extant artiodactyl. Despite their physical resemblance to pigs and other terrestrial even-toed ungulates, the closest living relatives of the Hippopotamidae are cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises, etc.) from which they diverged about 55 million years ago.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
This is a response with no clear objective:

The common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius), or hippo, is a large, mostly herbivorous, semiaquatic mammal native to sub-Saharan Africa, and one of only two extant species in the family Hippopotamidae, the other being the pygmy hippopotamus (Choeropsis liberiensis or Hexaprotodon liberiensis). The name comes from the ancient Greek for "river horse" (???????????). After the elephant and rhinoceros, the common hippopotamus is the third-largest type of land mammal and the heaviest extant artiodactyl. Despite their physical resemblance to pigs and other terrestrial even-toed ungulates, the closest living relatives of the Hippopotamidae are cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises, etc.) from which they diverged about 55 million years ago.

As informative as this was, I laughed pretty hard while reading it.