March 29, 2024, 02:19:47 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Extra Coding (regarding the 20 posts rule)  (Read 13174 times)

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
Extra Coding (regarding the 20 posts rule)
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
now i dont know how them there c+/ruby/java/python work, this came to mind when thinking of a friend's forum

now just up and deleting people's posts and slapping them on the wrist and sending them to read the rules is honestly doing *censored* all. and because i honestly cant keep my mouth shut, and tell ppl by responding to those posts, im going to get *censored*

isnt there any type of scripting that can be done to Grey out the Artist/Writers wanted boards til a certain milestone is reached?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:50:13 PM by BobbyJoeXForgotenSB »

Click the Banner to Read

Offline TheClayMaker

• Because Topics are Dumb...
  • Walking demotivation...
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Coding (regarding the 20 posts rule)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
As a someone in school for programming, I can say that this is most certainly possible.

Consider each member of the forum as a separate object, each with a variable for "posts". You can measure the number of posts made by each member through this and restrict certain actions depending on the value of the member's "post" variable. However, how someone would do this is beyond my current knowledge, especially when I don't know what language the site is programmed in.

• o-o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »
yeah, i know its similar to like RPG maker when you go, "the player gets variable "key" "1", when that is obtained, object "doorlocked" gets changed to "dooropen" but honestly RPG Maker pretty much does the coding for you but you kinda get what i mean, sort of the same thing, it locks out the members til their post veriable is "20"

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »
That's something I plan to do in up coming forum core upgrade and rules update. It's kind of massive thing and I haven't sorted out details about it yet. It's whole thing is bit too complicated. But this will definitely happen.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
You would have to do something extra to implement a new way to keep track of who's reached the limit and who hasn't, and atop of that, add another layer to the forum itself on how it operates.

It's easy enough to do a simple yes/no answer in regards to the user, but you'd have to make the forum itself in a way that reacts to that variable. The easiest implementation would just be to saturate the whole forum with a true/false flag since I'm assuming it uses the same template for everything instead of writing something "specifically" for the artist/writer's board, but then you have to be careful not to screw something up along the way  :-\

It's doable... but it'll be work.
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »
In proboard forums there is a built in feature to do this sort of thing where reaching a certain rank, which is determined by post counts, is the requirement for accessing the board.

I know this forum is not made using proboards though.

• o-o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »
something like this wouldnt take that long as long as the person knows what they are doing, but mostly i meant the Create topic and Reply buttons would be gone til then, like how the reply button vanishes on a locked thread

Plus if Proboards and MR are running under the same Coding language, you could easilly get into the Proboard code then copy and paste it into MR's code, there part one is done, just need to get everything to run right, might have to have MR shut down for a week or so to do the changes and then fix the bugs
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:58:19 PM by BobbyJoeXForgotenSB »

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
Actually I found a easier way to get this done. Pretty much same as what Robin said. I will create a special group so only those who have at least 20 post will able to post in Artist Request Board. Everyone will able to view everything in the board but can start topics or post only after passing 20 post mark.

But this alone won't stop this problem. For example anyone can use welcome center and other boards to make bunch of low quality posts and then get into request boards. I need to put couple of other check points too. Like forcing them to read board rules, Posting a sample work before create a topic, Manually approving all artist request threads etc.

These might look too much trouble for some new members but for those who really serious about their projects these rules won't be a big issue.

• o-o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
so 20 posts and must have a one of these, Artist gallery, lets say 10 drawings, writers must have a post with a max of bheh words in it, like that?

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »
Technically, you can't "program" the forum to notice you have drawings or stories or what-not. That still falls in the category of administrator discretion.

...speaking of which, there might be a flaw we might have overlooked regarding newcomers in that they cannot reply to topics already created. It's one thing to Create vague and one-liner topics, it's another to reply to an existing one as a form of engagement.  :-\
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 12:28:21 AM »
Lets put like this,

01. Start with an intro topic and tell us about the member and his projects, intentions. If she/he want to take paid commissions then tell us about that.

02. Creating an Art Gallery topic for their artwork and if a writer then need to post some sample stories and maybe the story they want to collab. No links to outside stories, galleries.

03. Once pass 20 posts in forum they will able to create a topic in Request section but it will stay pending till get mod/admin approval. That way staff can check everything before let a thread to publish.

These 3 rules will eliminate most problems we get there and also cull the herd so only serious people will get to post in request board. Plus they will become a part of the forum unlike now.

These rules only apply to Artist Request Board. Not even to Writer request board. So any new member who is not interested in that board can post as he/she wants.

• o-o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:33 AM »
sounds about right to me then i can stop trying to help and getting my ass kicked for illegal responses, its literally a weird impulse thing with me...o^o

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »
Yeah. We don't want to scare everyone away but just to get rid of those link droppers and those who not interested in becoming part of MR.

@Operative13 : None of those things can be properly automated. so all these stuff will be checked before a Mod or Anime approve a Request thread. It's not hard to figure low quality posts. When someone request a thread and have series of 2 word posts or bunch of those in Welcome center or Break room, we know why.

But point here is if the new member has come that far. we can talk to the person and get him/her into doing the right thing. We might approve the thread providing he/she stay active in forum or give him another chance to make those quality posts.

There is rule that will be added. Once you get your thread approved, you need to stay active in forum. I mean if the member just is not active for 72 or more then mods can lock the topic. I don't know if this rule is little too much but we can see soo many abandoned threads there.

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:49:26 AM »
72 hours might be a bit much honestly. Many people have busy schedules after all.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »
Well okey, Then lets make it one week.