Vio
1 (5.3%)
Froggy
8 (42.1%)
Tykva
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2017, 10:46:44 PM

Author Topic: The MangaRaiders Artist-tan Contest!  (Read 26999 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
The MangaRaiders Artist-tan Contest!
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
Ladies! Gentlemen! Dragons!

I present to you fair folk a contest! All are welcome to participate! No skill level required!

Now, if you are not familiar, a 'Tan' is an anthropomorphic representation of some piece of technology. Famously, this trend started with the 'OS-tan', to represent different computer operating systems.

Spoiler

As the internet grew, it spread out to include tans for different websites.

Spoiler

Sure enough, we here at MR eventually picked up the trend and made some of our own. First creating the original MR-tan back in the faraway year of 2010, to celebrate our (at the time), new "Raindrop" theme, which proceeded our current "Plus" theme.

Spoiler

Over time, we filled out the roster with Tans for different sections of the forum. There came Writer-tan, Pub-tan, and Ecchi and Lewd-tan for our sister site ecchiworld. There have even been stories written about our Tans by writers such as myself and Mahulaandmilk.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4709.0.html
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,17688.0.html

But, as you may have noticed, we have never had a Tan for the artist section, which to me seems a damn shame. So that's what we're here for!

DESIGN A TAN TO REPRESENT THE ARTIST SECTION OF MANGARAIDERS!

SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS:

To be considered, you must submit:

1. A drawing of your Artist-tan design. Drawing must be at least waist up. No credit for headshots.
2. A brief description of personality, talents, other character traits.

Seriously that's it. Draw us your design, and write us a short paragraph about their personality. Everyone who comes up with those two items are officially in! Remember that this design will stick, and that people will be using it in stories for years to come, so put some thought and effort in!

CONTEST RULES:

1. Participants must turn in required items as outlined above to win.
2. Submissions must be in by the evening of Monday, May 8th, central time.
3. Submissions must be PG-13. No extra credit will be given for sexiness.

So what do you win? Well the major prize here is ever lasting glory. But besides that, there will be a little parallel bonus. On May 8th, after all submissions are in, they will be then put up for a vote. Then, on each day of that week, going from May 8th to May 14th, I will be posting chapters of a story focused on the Tans of MR. On that Sunday, the votes will be tallied, and I will release the final chapter, in which the winning Artist-tan design will be revealed!

So that's the deal. You submit your designs, we vote on the winner, and the winning design is featured in a special story written just for this occasion. Your design will then go down in MR history as the official Artist-tan design.

Got all that? Awesome. I will be boosting this topic every week to keep you on your toes. You have a little over a month to post your submissions. Good luck!

TLDR: DESIGN A TAN TO REPRESENT THE ARTIST SECTION OF MANGARAIDERS. SUBMIT A DRAWING AND BRIEF PERSONALITY DESCRIPTION BY MAY 8TH. VOTING WILL GO FOR ONE WEEK, DURING WHICH TIME I WILL BE RELEASING A STORY THAT WILL CULMINATE IN THE REVEAL OF THE WINNER ON THE LAST DAY OF VOTING, MAY 14TH. GLORY TO THE VICTOR.

THE CONTESTANTS:

As stated by the original rules, please judge by the character's visual and personality description. Some members ended up including backstories/alternate character names/etc. But since that wasn't apart of what we're looking for, please do not them sway your judgement any which way. The contest was of course to create Artist-tan within MR Canon, not a separate OC.

LEGO:

Art-tan
If I had to give a colour scheme I'd say light blue and dark purple pants. White canvas sneakers?

MAHLUA:

Spoiler

Honestly, I just had the image in mind of that chill guy you'd see smiling and playing a guitar in a park somewhere who is easy to talk to. I also really like the idea of his color scheme matching some of the forum colors. At most maybe make the brown a little more warm, but that's about it.

As for abilities, I'd think he'd just pull out art materials from his satchel and have the power to create forms from drawings in sort of a green-lantern type fashion, if you follow. Since in GC we saw that Pub-tan was the previous iteration of Art-tan, it's possible that he inherited the abilities in some way...and it's probably the Twins' fault.

NOMENA:

Spoiler
My name is PYLT.
It means: "Put Your Lines Together".
I represent the main struggle every artists go through in order to achieve a piece of drawing.
That is literally: "Putting lines together".
Lines are the essence of my being.
But they often become loose and I am fading.
My creativity overflow.
But it comes out as raw.
So I have to make it better.
By putting my lines together.

MR. BUTTCHEEKS:

Spoiler
Born from a wealthy family, she has lived the easy life, getting everything she wants. She took an interest in drawing and with her money and influence, she was able to learn from the very best artists. But, even with their wealth and influence, she is a pretty decent girl who understands the concept of money and life. Hoping to become a role model to the future people who aspire to become a great artist. Will her money and influence get her that spot?
Her Talent is finding way to solve problems (Mostly by the power of money and her influence)
She is a very lively and active person
Color scheme will depend on what you guys would think, probably the forum`s color scheme

EUKOCAR:

Spoiler
artist tan by marco eukocar, on Flickr

personality
she spends days creating fantasy outfits. that will be used in her drawings.
she is an perfectionist and most of the outfits wont be finished. this doesnt has any affect on her mood she is sometimes even happy and views it as an learning point. her dream is to design outfits for hollywood movies.

its easy to get her stressed in crowded places and public transports. she hates to attend party's with loud music. she hates this trait because it make's it hard for her to go out with her friends.

VIO:

Spoiler
Personality
Artist-tan is an outgoing character that loves to interact with individuals and nature. She will accept those who seek help and offers advise for those looking to improve themselves, though she does have a tendency to be too direct. She enjoys discovering and sharing new styles for everyone to see, yet keeps some sketches and pictures a secret for personal reasons. Finally, Artist-tan adores being outside as she hates being stuck in a small room for a long period.

Hobbies and Talents
Drawing, painting, photography, crafting, walks, hikes, music, and acting.

Other
Secretly, Artist-tan is practising haircutting and styling. However, she is not very confidant with scissors as she is with a pencil and fears of making mistakes, thus why she may be seen wearing a hat and/or hoodie.

FROGGY:

Spoiler

She's childlike in appearance because an artist is forever learning. She enjoys creating art of almost any kind and is always up for a challenge. Is generally good-natured and tries to avoid getting annoyed at stupid comments. She stores extra pencils in her hair and her backpack contains a large number of metal nibs (along with other art supplies) that may or may not be used as weapons.

TYKVA:
Spoiler

Nike is a 313-year-old troublesome, naughty (her father would say so) daughter. She is very young and she is the first one through all generations of her important family who doesn't use the eraser at all. Her unstoppable creativeness and sleepless ability have already caused not only her hands but the great problem to the whole Universe. Trying to calm and lull his little girl her father give her adorable quilt with only one purpose -- to put its owner to sleep. But what if Nike 1000 will offer to the quilt what it dreams about?

Nike's hands are temporarily unable to serve her in an appropriate way and her father thought he will have a bit more trouble free time but it appears that his daughter is more talented than he thought.

Her appearance:
Natural brown hair. She can change its color and length by her own will. Deep blue eyes. Bright blue skin, rabbit and foxy ears with roe horns.  Her hands are in plaster and she is able to manipulate her pens by her will. She wears pink T-shirt, brown night pants with yellow stars and big black pointed sunglasses. [/img]

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:43:59 PM by Coryn »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: The MangaRaiders Artist-tan Contest!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
So I take it that you're looking for a somewhat new Art-tan? I mean...

THIS IS LEGITIMATE SPOILER FOR ONE OF MY STORIES

I think I did a decent reveal of Pub-tan as the previous Art-tan...unless of course, that's where you got your idea.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
It was inspired by such, yes. I've had the idea in mind for a long time, but now I found a good way to implement it with what you wrote.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
Ah, excellent. I might contribute to this, as soon as I finish that thing for PhoenixFireFlower...(I forgot the colors I was supposed to use so I should go find that thread, wherever it went...)
Haha signature go brr.

Offline tykva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
Sounds interesting! I think I'll run for it. I've only got two questions:

1). I should submit a design here in this open topic, shouldn't I? So everyone, who knows about this competition will be able to see the works even before the final stage?

2). The design can be both b/w and colored. Am I right?

Wish everyone luck and fun, of course,  ;D

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »
1. You can post it at any time, as long as you make the deadline. But when you do submit, please post it here so it's easily accessible.

2. Black and White or Colored is fine. If you do submit though, some information on a theoretical color scheme would be appreciated.

I look forward to your submittal!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »
High there everyone! How goes the entries? So far we've one and a half participants? The story is going well on my end. Six out of the ten chapters are done and ready to go. Hope to see a few more people join up! Let's make it a competition guys!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:51:32 AM »
All right to be fair I have a sketch in my Spanish notebook but it's covered in funny junk like "un llama me llama porque esta en llamas [a llama calls me because it's in flames]."

I'll get to drawing the ideas over eventually...I still have a bit of Easter Break.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
The Tan character can be a female only?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
Tans usually are (and all of our existing tans are), but I won't make it a requirement. Male tans are definitely a thing that exist, so I'm not about to say that they don't.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Good to know. My design was going to be male whether you liked it or not.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
Well diversity is good. Gives voters more to think about than just "who has the prettiest art", which I've seen decide contests just as often as not.

Offline tykva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »
Tans usually are (and all of our existing tans are), but I won't make it a requirement. Male tans are definitely a thing that exist, so I'm not about to say that they don't.

Good!  ;D I have both... and a bit more... ;) :sure: 

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
Hey y'all! Hope everything is going well for everyone! Just about a week and a half to go, so I hope to see a few designs rolling in soon!

Remember, you can post them here when they're done, right before the deadline, or you can pm them to me and I'll post them at the deadline.

Good luck!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 01:35:42 AM »
I will get to working on it—after these last few finals papers get finished up, ahaha...
Haha signature go brr.