April 18, 2024, 01:36:41 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Traditional Pen & Paper vs Tablet  (Read 6215 times)

Offline CaptUsopp

• The horizon on the other side.. is what I aim for.
    • View Profile
Traditional Pen & Paper vs Tablet
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
Looking for recommendations and pro and cons to either sticking with sketch pad and pencil or transitioning to a tablet and program such as clip studio paint. I would consider myself an amateur artist, although, I am picking up on techniques rather quickly.

Offline tykva

• View Profile
Re: Traditional Pen & Paper vs Tablet
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Hello, captain!  ;D

Answering your question.
------------------------------
You can have fun in both ways simultaneously, especially while you're studying basics and can try to draw same things traditionally and digitally. Paper and pencil is a simple, powerful eternal weapon you always can easily take with you whenever you go, run, fly or swim...

If you can afford some simple tablet -- good... the early you start playing with it the better... tablet, without a doubt, can make your art life more, let's say, comfortable...

WARNING!
- Before you decide to buy some tablet you should find out whether you really are a "drawing" creature and you get fun from it or you just want to create manga;
- If you have a chance to take some tablet somewhere to test what it is actually, then take it and try;
- For some time, "the paper/pencil thing" will be enough for you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:42:52 PM by tykva »

Offline CaptUsopp

• The horizon on the other side.. is what I aim for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »
Thank you! I'm not quite sure if I should be spending the money on a tablet right now so a pencil and a sketchbook is for me. I'll have to look into the tablet more and possibly get my hands on one to try out before spending the money.  ;D

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
Well it depends on what you want to do. I feel like if you're a beginner focusing on traditional is better, however making the switch is pretty difficult. So focusing on both early on can't be a bad idea perhaps.

For me traditional is significantly better, I got a tablet many years into things and for drawing it doesn't cut it for my purposes. However it's a great tool for inking and colouring. Like I said it's really what you want to do with art and what your own creative visions and goals are. Digital art is great for saving stuff, having endless space, ctrl-z'ing and all that.

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »
pretty much if you want to make a comic, practice on paper, do actual comic pages with tablet, dont drop either, always come back to the other

Click the Banner to Read

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:12:19 AM »
pretty much if you want to make a comic, practice on paper, do actual comic pages with tablet, dont drop either, always come back to the other
I pretty much think this is the best solution for CaptUsopp.  Even though i consider myself a digital artist, i'll still do traditional art if i'm somewhere i can't bring my tablet.

Offline IndigoGirl59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
I am a graphic design student and have experimented with both digital and traditional art and I find that I prefer traditional art a little more because it's what I'm more use to and being as emotional as I am I find it more therapeutic and soothing to do traditional art. However, that isn't to say that digital art can't be as soothing as traditional art. There have been times when doing a project at school I have been able to express my emotions with digital art as well. So usually I tend to mix the two by first doing the artwork on paper then scanning the artwork with my scanner and editing it on the computer with GIMP.