March 29, 2024, 05:22:43 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Spring Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Spring Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

Sell the kids for moe. Weather rains Toei. Spring is here again. First impressions expand. The time has come for a new season and it smells bad outside and yes. Ice cap weather is arriving soon. So the new anime shows I do the first impressions and you can do them to if you want. and talk about the shows to. and I say yeah

First Impressions

Final Thoughts

The Ritsu Rating
Screw stars and stuff this time we rate First Impression shows on the Ritsu scale. It goes like anything worst to best.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
Re: Spring Season 2017 : "Hype" Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
Spring 2017 Hype Reel

Spoiler
The Manimal's Anticipated Shows

Sin : 7 Deadly Sins
Fukumenkei Noise
Clockwork Planet
Sakura Quest

Technically The Most Anticipated Shows (According To MAL)

Attack On Titan 2
My Hero Academia 2
Danmachi : Sword Oratoria
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend 2
Boruto
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

The Manimal's Best Shows of Winter 2017

Scum's Wish
Konosuba 2
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Highest Rated (Non-Sequel) Shows of Winter 2017 (MAL Scores)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Youjo Senki
Scum's Wish
Little Witch Academia
Interviews With Monster Girls

Highlights of Spring 2016

High School Fleet
Flying Witch
Space Patrol Luluco
Bakuon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0AqE9dapV0

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
Re: Spring Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
Attack On Titan 2: Episode 1

Spoiler
We are brought right back in the series where season 1 ended. Forget things? I did. We learn the walls are made of titans and then a sudden batch of 'em appear from the south. Which is bad? I don't know, I don't remember these things. Potato girl and gang get on horses, why aren't they wearing uniforms again? I don't remember. and then the big ape titan comes into scene and...he speaks!

This was a slow way to bring us back into the show, there's no big action right away or anything. It's right back into things. The main three are barely in this episode, it's more in the aftermath of the big fight. We get two big reveals in this ep. The titan wall thing is kind of interesting and the talking titan is...something. The ending scene was pretty good, the titans being freaky once again. Certainly not a high octane episode, it just feels like the next episode. Which is alright. We get to see Eren's Mom again in a flashback, to be honest her death was the only thing that upset me in season 1.

The new OP song is alright, naturally the first opening will not be topped. JK the second one was better, this one fits fine. The actual sequence had a pretty ba animation of the main three swinging around. Animation and production values looked the same as season 1 in this episode. It's a slow start in pacing but this first episode gives us some big reveals to keep interest. I thought it was an alright return. For me I didn't like where the plot went after Eren become a titan, that took away from all the show had built. It was still exciting for a quick thrill though, and I hope season 2 gives us that. It's why I'm still watching.

The Ritsu Rating for this ep is...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:08:22 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »
Sakura Quest

To restore the community, Sakura Quest is the story of Yoshino Koharu, a 20 year old girl who's applied and been turned down for 30 jobs. One day she gets a call to do work at a run down country side town, becoming the Queen for a once popular tourist attraction. What she thought was a one time job turns out to be a year long deal, now Yoshino's countryside adventures begin.

This was a nice first episode! Yoshino grew up in a countryside but moved to Tokyo for action. After failing to get a job she ends up in a dead town with the job of helping revive the once active community. Turns out she was mistaken for an old time idol, and wasn't even meant to be called. But now she's stuck there and I suppose countryside adventures will ensue. This was a well paced episode, slowly introducing us to Yoshino, a fairly reversed character in a loud environment. There are more main characters but we've only met a weirdo who chills in a sleeping bag. Running the whole thing is passionate old man Ushimatsu Kadota who Yoshino straight up gives a heart attack later in the episode.

It's an instantly compelling and fun cast of characters, and the dynamic of turning this old countryside back on is a premise that can lead to lots of nice small town themes. It's a P.A. Works show, the animation is nicely done and the character designs are good. The OP is good and the ED is especially awesome. Sakura Quest sets up to be a promising show with a lot of potential for nice small town slice of life action!

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor

This is a show in which the girl's uniforms are crop tops. It also plays out like someone thought Konosuba was good so they tried to do something with a scumbag guy but they're not as good. Akashic Records is set in typical light novel fantasy land where magic happens and there's cute girls and a changing room scene that thinks it's clever but mentioning it's a cliche yet not doing anything different, funny or interesting with it. Glenn is a substitute teacher at light novel academy who is super lazy but apparently powerful. We follow Sistina who's not too happy with this. Looks like she'll have the worst teacher over or something?

Glenn is a total sleaze ball loser, he's like Kazuma expect I didn't find this funny like Konosuba, instead it's a very typical light novel otaku type show. But oddly enough, I kind of enjoyed this episode. It wasn't flat out awful and the ending scene was kind of amusing, but it's really not going to be anything more then the typical judging by this episode. Midway it has a changing scene with boob grabbing because...you need to have that scene. Konosuba had a lot of ecchi but it was built on good ground, this first episode feels like nothing. It's not a harem show and the main character is atleast not the normal.

There was cool glasses guy in the corner, but he was just a side character. This episode wasn't very funny nor interesting and really I don't see it amounting to anything. The only interesting thing in this episode are the girl's uniforms. I've not seen a show go for that look. Hhhhm, I'll see how the next episode is. Manga readers says this show is not as it seems.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:12:20 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:12:27 AM »
Love Tyrant

KISS the girls goodbye, Love Tyrant is a silly comedy harem about an angel dressed as a demon Guri who has the mighty KISS Note. When a couple's name is written in the pages they must KISS in 24 hours or Guri will die. She comes across MC-Kun, Seiji, who likes his secretly yandere classmate Akane. Through a series of events Guri, Seiji, Akane and her gay sister Yuzu end up in a love square and the adventures begin. Now our dude is surroudned by all these girls....oh so horrible. Pfff.

I dislike harem series however Love Tyrant is a comedy first and this episode was pretty decent. It has a lot of twists and turns with the jokes, flipping the Death Note idea so Guri is the one who dies and a lot of other little things that pull the carpet under her vibe. She's fun and turns into a bald chibi with one hair for some reason. Seiji is our lame harem guy, he's whatever. But this story is more about the silliness of it all, and naturally the guy doesn't really do anything but make the story work. The only interesting thing is how quickly he KISSes Guri, atleast he's not a dense moron. 

Akane appears as boob jiggles in a still frame which is amusing. She's super yandere and literally would've killed Guri and Seiji if it was possible. Now that they're in a love square she can stab them all she wants. Yuzu is thrown in for another element, naturally she kisses Seiji as well because of course. This first episode was amusing, the cat guy was funny and Guri's outfit is real cute. I will watch more for Guri, something like this is almost a natural successor to Noucome in a way. I hope it's better then that show and just gets goofier. I will keep watching anyway. The OP is terrible though, Wake Up Girls have their own style but...it's just not a good song.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
Clockwork Planet

Gears everywhere. Our hero Naoto is a gear fetishist who lives in a world once destroyed and rebuilt. One day he's chilling and bam a robot girl comes through his roof. He fixes her and now she's in his service. Meanwhile some other people are looking for her. This was a pretty slow episode, introducing us to the cast and everything. This show looks like it's straight out of 2007 or something. Fairly outdated art style and simple animation. I didn't mind this too much as I like when new shows have this sort of look.  Xebec is getting ready for Full Metal Panic 4 I assume, if that show looks like this in terms of the mechs and light CG then...it'd be just fine.

Naoto is our sort of whimpy protagonist who instantly becomes protective of RyuZU. The whole girl falling out of the sky thing has been done about...how many times, but it's been a while since I've seen it done. This episode was alright, not much to say. It's something in a different setting that looks like it's from a different time. I'll watch more.

Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel (TV)

Magical girls save the world once more! Madoka is...Meguru is a new transfer student. It's a school where all the girls are quirky personalities. One day some guy is shredding koto and brainwashing the school. In a flash Meguru meets a hedgehog and is transformed into a magical girl. No questions asked as she confronts the guy, fights some cannon fodder and finds out the cool girl she met Homaru...Sumire is a magical girl to. They kick buttocks and of course Sumire is like, well I'm never doing that again.

Basically Twin Angel is a magical girl show with a pretty typical set-up. New girl who's good natured and excited about everything. The animal mascot character and the cool partner who's pretty good but doesn't really like to be a magical girl. It's a cute girls show with lots of unique designs, although all Meguru's classmates are basically character designs, like the sheep girl and chuuni fortune teller. Meguru's outfit is pretty revealing and the lady bug theme villain basically chills in a bikini. It's pretty clear who this magical girl show is aimed at. This was a fairly average episode anyway. The art is fine but the set-up is just straight forward. I don't think this show is going to get into any deep themes like other series of it's kind, looks pretty fanservicey and simple to me. It was an enjoyable enough first episode, we'll see where it goes.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »
Eromanga-Sensei

When you Oreimo so hard you have a ClariS OP. Eromanga-Sensei is the tale of Masamune. He was fat once and now he wants to get reve-oh. Eromanga-Sensei is the tale of Masamune...Izumi. Izumi Masamune, he's such a light novel protagonist that he makes his own light novels. and gueesss what, his little sister Sagiri secretly draws the erotic illustrations. She's shut off in her room and Izumi just wish sooo bad to she her face. I'VE JUST SEEN A FACE, not really because she's beehind the dooor, drawwing erotic images. But she's 12. She draws erotic images like a pro at 12 because it's an anime.

and guess what Izumi finds out she draws the pictures and now they connect. Wow. Sounds. Just. Like. That. Other. Show. About. Incest. But wait it's not incest silly, they aren't connected by blood and Sagiri has an actually sad story about her Mom and...okay the end of the episode was kind of nice, it's not too weird or anything. But everything about this set-up is Oreimo. The disconnected siblings, the little sister's interested is found out and now stuff happens. AND CLARIS DOES THE OP BECAUSE IT'S NOT A GOOD OTAKU SHOW UNTIL CLARIS DOES THE OP. BUT THIS AIN'T IRONY! THIS AIN'T HALF AS GOOD AS IRONY!

Oh my oh my. Eromanga-sensei is sure to be a hit this season. It's a hit for me to. As in I'm only going to give it one hit and drop it.

Nah I'll watch one more episode but I wasn't overly taken by this, I just watched a few episodes of Oreimo a month ago and...hhhhm, we'll see.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 05:19:33 AM »
Seven Deadly Sins, or sorry now the English title is Seven Mortal Sins, it's gunna be the ecchi show that delivers what you expect. Some erotic action, beautiful character designs, and somtimes poor animation coupled with shotty looking action sequences. The story is of Lucifer, a fallen angel who's new to hell. Stuff happens and she becomes part of the seven deadly...sorry Seven Mortal Sins. Meanwhile there's some totally cardboard human character on the surface world and some stuff happens? There's some edgy symbolism in this episode, oh ya and nipples. There's that to. and yuri. Anime of the season? Well not quite, but it does what it's mean to do. Let's see how it continues.

Also this week...

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor kicks it 3 gears up in tone. Things get a lot more serious and real this episode and we learn that yes, of course Glenn was hiding his true power. He gets into this rant about how bad magic is and then some slimeballs break into the school and there's a near rape scene. In the second episode. Well, it certainly amped itself up from that bland premier.

Sakura Quest had a nice episode where the gang had a clear goal to achieve and it went over how this group would do so in a week's time frame. We met most if not all of the main cast, and they're a good bunch. Spicing up this dead town won't be an easy task but it should be fun to watch!

Love Tyrant continues to be a silly comedy, the second episode was a lot weaker and just had more outrageous moments. Guri wants to get a student and teacher together but first she must prove their feelings for each other. The teacher is the weakest guy, I guess that was the joke. I didn't really find this episode all that funny.

Clockwork Planet is once more, a mediocre show from 2007 that is actually not from 10 years ago. I really like the clock girl and her low-key burns and digs at humanity in her dead pan voice but the story is just okay. There was some unneeded drama with loli twin tails and it was overall an alright episode. The show is enjoyable atleast.

Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel's second episode will go down in history to be the only anime to use the Tokyo Big Sight for something other then Comiket. This episode develops Sumire more, and explains her personality. You forget it's a magical girl show because they don't even make mention of anything until the last little fight at the end in which the transformation scene is pretty well longer then the fight itself. The evil lady bug woman who is likely 80 times more powerful then the new magical girl Meguru just retreats but...Meguru is a new magical girl shouldn't she be like...not very good? I dunno, this show is whatever.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 05:06:41 AM »
The seven mortal sins first episode was really fast paced. Or maybe it wasn't. I wasn't expecting an all out brawl in the first episode but at least this prideful angel got a smacking.  I'm excited for it. I really wish I picked up the figure line. Hopefully, prices don't increase now.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »
Yes things just suddenly go down. I wonder what the show will be about in the bigger picture though, I thought the stuff with Maria was just thrown in there, she's such a nothing character. Either way it was a promising first episode.

I was going to drop Eromanga-Sensei but it's so awful that it must be seen. It's the kind of terrible show that needs to be witnessed.

So now everything is in place for me, that's 7 shows to hopefully keep up with. I don't know about Anonymous Noise now, might see how it is later. My ranking for first and second episodes would be...

1. Sakura Quest
2. Seven Mortal Sins
3. Attack on Titan 2
4. Clockwork Planet
5. Love Tyrant
6. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
7. Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
8. Eromanga-Sensei

I'm surprised, only the first three have any kind of greater quality to me. This is a much weaker season then anything last year. I can see myself dropping the last three here but we'll see. Gives me more time to watch other shows anyway.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:00:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Midway through everything and man what a season this...hasn't been.

This Spring season has been very dull for me. I feel Sakura Quest is the only really good show, and it's fun enough a nice slice of life rejuvenate the countryside type of thing. I enjoying watching it every weak and with it's 25 episode length it should be worthwhile!

Other then that Bastard Magic Instructor has been okay enough to keep up with, nothing amazing. It's a very "anime" type show in all regards but I don't know, there is something that keeps me watching. I'm 2 episodes behind on Attack On Titan 2 but that has also been something entertaining enough to keep watching even if it can be dumb.

I caught up to episode 6 with Love Tryant. I think it's pretty okay. It could use a lot more comedy as much of the humor is just, hey look we're doing all the tropes ha ha. The sudden tone shift in episode 5 was random but you know, gotta get those themes in there to make it appeal to everyone possible. Episode 6 was also, okay. The show doesn't look good at all, I feel the artstyle and animation is rather poor and inconsistent. I don't like the designs for anyone but Guri either. The pink haired girl would look better with that black hair in braided twin tails style she first donned.

Love Tyrant I think I will keep up with however just because, that way I have 4 shows. Seven Mortal Sins kind of lost it for me, I mean it delivers the ecchi but the characters and dynamics are awful. For a full length having a bad cast and general vibe is hard to keep up with, Bikini Warriors worked because it was a short. So it gave you the super lewd ecchi but had funny enough characters as well. Seven Mortal Sins is missing a spark.

I find even my favorite shows from last season, Kobayashi, Scum's Wish and Konosuba 2 I've already forgotten about and never think of them. Last year gave me a few new classics, Love Live Sunshine, Konosuba 1, New Game, Flying Witch, Amanchu, High School Fleet, there where a ton of memorable shows. But these first two seasons of 2017 have not been much for me. Kind of sad but oh well, just gotta stick with those 4 this season and hope next is better.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:37:38 AM by Manimal »

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:57:55 AM »
The new Rage of Bahamut series is pretty good, but it's on Amazon Video, so I think hardly anyone is watching it.  Similarly, I would have been interested in Atom: The Beginning, but not even Amazon have that for the UK and I'm not desperate enough to pirate it...

Offline Mysie

• Attic Dweller
  • 'NoFace' reminds me of my Uncle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
I been flicking through a lot of the recent releases this Spring and I have to admit, I'm not impressed, it's been pretty boring. I mean, definitely interesting to say the least but nothing new or really bold enough to catch my attention in my opinion. However, I do like the new season of Shingeki no Bahamut. I enjoyed the previous season however, I know this is such a petty comment, but the intro is so cringeworthy it almost makes me hate the show. Why Japan? Why?!
Anyways...
I am loving Fukumenkai Noise. Like, holy crap. I love music-based Anime. Of course, the music... it's nothing particularly out of the ordinary, but it's somewhat enjoyable. On paper, I should hate it:
Spoiler
Lost childhood friends, she JUST so happens to join a super famous band, LOVE TRIANGLE... SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW. However, I think it's executed in a way that the cliche's aren't so obvious... so, it's somewhat watchable... ^^"

There's a lot of Seinen out this season, I mean, that's not brainer but Urara Meirochou just made me wanna barf, I love a good Seinen but I haven't seen this much fan service in a while. Needless to say, I only watched an episode. I'm not usually into the cutesy *censored*, but sometimes I kind of indulge myself for the pretty animation.

Clockwork Planet was pretty interesting, but I feel like I was taken back in time somewhat to the 2007-2010 era. I'm not all for trends and don't think any story or concept should be defined or limited by that, but sometimes, no matter how you feel about it, you just can't look at it any other way. I was bored, incredibly bored, but again, it still had something, but... executed poorly.

Take it from the classics, they all have a very bold and catching concept, something that really runs on it's own if that makes any sense, a story that indulges itself. Most of the *censored* I see nowadays is just regurgitated nonsense. The mecha's, the love triangles, the magic, the demons, the monsters, the vampires, the sci-fi. Yes, OF COURSE. Every story needs some kind of genre, but it's nothing I haven't seen before and this Spring is just full of it... and, it's really depressing...

I still hold out hope though cause there are still a few little gems out there... ^^

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
Well safe to say this season was a non-event for me. 

In the end I only kept up with Sakura Quest, which will extend into the summer season anyway. Attack on Titan 2 didn't compel me enough, Bastard Magic Instructor got better but I didn't quite feel like sitting through something so meh, Love Tyrant wore on me after a while I especially didn't like the art (sans Guri), Clockwork Planet was only amusing as a 2007 throwback, Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel is the definition of bland product, Eromanga-Sensei should've never been made and Seven Mortal Sins didn't have enough interest beyond the ecchi. Naturally you watch it for the ecchi but I found the story dumb and characters so meh.

Sakura Quest however is a very good show, it's just the struggles of the characters, all of which are at this little town for different reasons and have little problems of their own. Meanwhile they try to raise excitement for this boring ol' place and there are all kinds of cool things along the way. I really like this show!

So that's Spring, it was really nothing. I hope my enthusiasm for airing anime can be brought right back up. New Game season 2 after all! That's awesome atleast! Plz have more yuri and more of Eri Kitamura's character.