January 23, 2018, 06:35:52 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: fcollot's gallery  (Read 633 times)

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
fcollot's gallery
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »
I've started scanning my drawings to ink and shade them in GIMP. This is my first one. I still have difficulty making smooth curves with the graphics tablet so I used the path tool for the hair. Took me ages.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: fcollot's gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Is the character mad that she can't go to the mall? :tongue: that's what I'm reading from the face and body position. Teen angst  ;)

I don't know what the path function is but the hair lines look good. Overall quality is great. I noticed you used screen tones and grey scale. From my experience, I'm no illustrator btw, if you want the 100% manga look, only use screen tones or it will look too digital.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:09 AM »
Is the character mad that she can't go to the mall? :tongue: that's what I'm reading from the face and body position. Teen angst  ;)

I didn't have anything particular in mind but yeah it could be that :)

I don't know what the path function is but the hair lines look good. Overall quality is great. I noticed you used screen tones and grey scale. From my experience, I'm no illustrator btw, if you want the 100% manga look, only use screen tones or it will look too digital.

The path function let's you generate curves by placing various control points to get the desired curve.
I was initially planning on using screentones only. I wanted to create the screentones by making the image in greyscale first and then using filters, but at the filter stage I couldn't get what I wanted so I left the greyscale which I ended up liking. I wanted more texture for the sweater though so I mixed a proper screentone image into it. I did experiment quite a bit with this drawing. I agree that I should have probably used the same technique throughout.

Thanks for the feedback :).

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
I dropped by last night and couldn't think of what was bugging me about this work, so I didn't say anything then, but I think I've figured it out. It's the way her neck doesn't seem to align with the rest of her spine because it's like she's ducking her head out and down at the same time, making her neck seem longer than it theoretically should be with her head size and shoulder width. Everything else looked okay, except maybe the shoulder width because of this issue.

Hopefully that's actually useful and doesn't seem like I came here just to say something mean. The rest of it looking good is why I couldn't put my finger on it in the first place.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
I dropped by last night and couldn't think of what was bugging me about this work, so I didn't say anything then, but I think I've figured it out. It's the way her neck doesn't seem to align with the rest of her spine because it's like she's ducking her head out and down at the same time, making her neck seem longer than it theoretically should be with her head size and shoulder width. Everything else looked okay, except maybe the shoulder width because of this issue.

Hopefully that's actually useful and doesn't seem like I came here just to say something mean. The rest of it looking good is why I couldn't put my finger on it in the first place.

No problem at all, this is what I came looking for :).
I got a similar comment from someone else. Her body is supposed to be turned away from us about 45 degrees, and her head hunched over and slightly turned to her left, but I've clearly failed giving that impression. I should have placed her head further back.
Thanks for the help !

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
The toning on the sweater looks nice!

Facebook       Patreon 

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
You've clearly gone to a lot of effort over it, but strictly speaking, you shouldn't need to define so many strands of hair like that.  Unless your character has dreads, it's perfectly fine to just pick out the main sections (like bangs, sides, back, etc.) and then maybe define a few strands on top of that to help it flow.  Especially when you're doing the back of the head, I mean, it's not the focal point, so why give yourself extra work?

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:20:49 AM »
Walter B: Thanks  ;)

Gaff: I understand what you mean, but hair is the part I like drawing the most so I don't mind at all :). In manga I love the closeup drawings with detailed hair like this one from Gunnm:

Spoiler

On the other hand, I admit having trouble when I want to simplify the hair (or other things too) and it's something I need to work on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:53:27 AM by fcollot »

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:57:43 AM »
I see what you mean though about the back. It's true the hair doesn't need to have the same level of detail everywhere.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »
Ok, been a while since my first drawing :). Here's my latest work. I'm experimenting a little with making my own screentone effects.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
The resolution is a little too high (even though it's already scaled 50% from the original image, but it's still to big). Maybe this small one is better for viewing:

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
The resolution is a little too high (even though it's already scaled 50% from the original image, but it's still to big). Maybe this small one is better for viewing:

Screen tones looks nice, good job. :)

Not sure why you didnt just replace the first one though

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
Thanks :). I was going to replace the first one but left it because it lets you see the actual screentones when zooming in (I like being able to see the screetones in others' drawings to compare their techniques). The initial drawing was made using solid grays. I used a GIMP filter to turn the grey zones into regular arrays of dots, and finally used a noise filter to break up the dots a little and limit the moiré effects when viewing at different resolutions.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
That's some nice improvement over the last image! Guess all that time off worked in your favor, huh.  Glad you're still around with us.

I can't say I have any crits on the screentoning choices, although I'd recommend using a program that isn't GIMP. There are other programs that have screentone brushes at least as downloads, and I'm not sure if GIMP allows for those kind of brush downloads. The overall product is nice, but I'd imagine you'd save yourself a lot of time.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
Yes you can create or download brushes for GIMP, but I haven't tried those possibilities yet. I like to stick with GIMP for various reasons, and in particular I prefer learning to master free software that I can always find and upgrade easily, rather than rely on (pirated) proprietary software (if you have any free alternatives to suggest don't hesitate :).