December 12, 2017, 07:02:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 2917 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
Actually pretty hyped for the Iglooghost album. Along with the one I mentioned, the other singles have been pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5du_V0_UI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMYvfRj577E

Offline Manimal Claus

• God of Yule & Fruitcakes To
  • We All Love Santa Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
Lights, Skin & Earth

Lights successfully turns her comic world into a fun, breezy and well produced pop album. With big choruses, nice melodies and an overall enjoyable sound, Skin & Earth is a winner! I was very excited over Light's ambitious project, combining comic and music. Her comic series is decent, a little rough but as noted in the linear notes, she was learning how to make comics while making one! The fact that she pulled it off, and made an awesome album to go with it is very inspiring to me. Especially since this album can be easily listened to without even knowing it's a story. The writing is general enough to stand alone and the tunes are just good! 

Two Canadians and a Kiwi are making the best pop today. Taking the sounds of mainstream pop and making it...not suck! This is a very enjoyable album and something to go back to. Maybe it's not amazing, but it's pretty good! No one really knows Lights outside of Canada, but she is a national gem. I quite like this album, perhaps a song or two that's so-so but otherwise solid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ahOYdwouo 

St. Vincent, MASSEDUCATION

St. Vincent carries on with the great sound of her self titled to deliver a pretty cool album of great sounds and tunes. There is a lot of cool elements to her sound, it backs her voice very well. It's the next logically step after next album, great songs like "Fear The Future" recall that spacey production heavy sound. "Young Lover" is excellent to, it's an exciting sound and an overall great follow-up. It feels a little short to, but on first listen I like it. Not as much as her self titled, but pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9TlaYxoOO8

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile, Lotta Sea Lice

Courtney Barnett finds the male version of herself and they make an album. Courtney's only emotion is deadpan sadness and Vile sounds like southern J Mascis. The two of them work together just fine, they are similar but different enough. Cool, but the album is boring as hell. It just plods around in a mopey sad haze. I mean it's not slow, and the drums keep it going. But it's just unbelievably dull. Courtney made her style work on Sometimes I Sit because it had the loud rock, but with this backing things just stall at the same level of grey haze. Absolutely nothing caught my ear musically, I mean it sounds fine but man it's just...there. Is this album bad? No. Is this album anything? No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KNsBCf34fQ

Lee Ranaldo, Electric Trim

Lee delivers a sonically interesting album with a lot of cool elements and things going on. There is actually quite a bit to these tracks, with their fair amount of dynamics and twists. It's more adventurous then his previous album and though noise is used a bit and he goes into his deadpan spoken word bits, Lee has put it all behind him which is more then I can say about Thurston's latest. The compositions are neat and interesting here, and there are plenty cool creative ideas. Vocally, Lee has always been the same, the melodies are alright and there are a few whack lyrics. "Circular" is a highlight as it jerks about. There is solid variety. I don't feel every song hits, and sometimes the production is bigger then the tune itself. Still it's a fair effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2XRnzj-YmE

Marilyn Manson, Heaven Upside Down

I only listened to Mechanical Animals a few months ago, but I figured, it's October so I might as well listen to Marilyn Manson's new album, even if my expectations don't exist. Well, it's a loud distorted rock album with, really quite silly lyrics a lot of the time. Marilyn Manson has really exhausted his act by now hasn't he? I don't find this album to be enjoyable at all, I get it. It's meant to be real aggressive, loud and in your face, but...it's just kind of...whatever. I mean some bits of production are cool, lots of noise and a nasty sound. But, not very enjoyable at times. His voice is fine and the music is alright, but the songs don't do much for me. I like "Blood Honey" though, it's actually fairly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq0Ax_7qisk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:07:56 PM by Spooky Manimal »

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
Vince Staples– Big Fish Theory

One of the more hyped hip-hop albums this year, Staples takes a lot from several different genres of electronic music and sets himself apart from a lot of his American peers. There are some missteps, like the simplistic trap beat on 745 by Jimmy Edgar, and Vince's flow itself can be a little simpler than the music deserves sometimes. And I still don't know what to think of the devastatingly slow "Samo" produced by SOPHIE. But it works for the most part and there are some amazing moments on here. SOPHIE and Flume hit a home-run with "Yeah Right" and Kendrick's verse on this makes me hope really hard that he calls SOPHIE in on his next album, one of the most exhilerating moments in music this year, but toooooo short. Second to that are all of the beats produced by Zack Sekoff, Staple's house producer, who transverses several electronic genres in a single track. A lot of the other guest beats fall short of "Yeah Right" and Sekoff's tracks, some of them not far, some of them quite far. Anyway, a neat hip-hop album. I'm glad I finally jumped on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iAzyhm0p0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa4vBlzMaeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9RLCKYf070

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »
That new Hopsin track is awful holy *censored*.

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
Hopsin, awful? Wow, what a surprise  :tongue:.

Also it's nice of Billboard to let a neanderthal get the #1 song this week. The song tho, haha.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
It's a new low for Hopsin even.

I can't say I hate Post-Malone. He is rather mediocre trap. A lot better than Jake Paul, about as good as Lil Yachty.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:02:08 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
Heh, I mean he's a fine person, genuine and likable, but it's just funny to me how Rockstar got to be a #1 with a new tactic of uploading a chorus loop on YouTube, which has like 50 million views, and contributes to it's Billboard ranking. I don't feel too strongly about his music really, his lyrics could be better tho.

As good as Yachty, ya...we'll say that.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
Yeah, his lyrics are just nothing really. Sometimes the music's nice, but not altogether interesting. I've had trouble getting into trap where the rapper's not actually rapping much. Even the acclaimed stuff like Young Thug, Migos, and Future I can enjoy in small doses, but not an entire album and not for lack of trying. When somebody like Kendrick Lamar or Denzel Curry does trap, I can dig it, though, plus good instrumental trap like Blank Banshee.

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Dhani Harrison, In Parallel

He sure looks like his Dad but don't expect the same sound, Dhani's first solo release is a long droney set of tracks. With a sort of psychedelic and slow sound, the album has a neat sound but doesn't do much with it. There are a lot of strings and elements to the instrumentation, some cool bits here and there. Dhani's vocals are very plain and simply delivered, with occasional guest vocals providing more excitement to some tracks. I think what he set out to do with this record was cool, and the mix of styles and overall drone sound is neat, but I didn't find it a very interesting listen. At the very least Dhani has his something to offer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRlyvQvTng

On second listen St. Vincent's latest is quite good indeed. The CD is an odd one, the disc backwards in the case which lacks an inner card. The picture on the disc is the flip side of the cover. The booklet is blue background on red font, just to piss off your eyes. "Sugarboy" is my favorite song on it and "Savior" which has a neat way of framing it's lyrical theme. Good stuff. SZA's Ctrl isn't quite as good the second time, I think "Love Galore" and "Doves In The Wind" are poor songs. "Prom" is still one of my favorites of the year and "Garden" is fantastic. The album is pretty good, but not quite as great as I first thought.

Another update to my ratings and rankings. 

Spoiler
Lorde : Melodrama (9/10)
Wednesday Campanella : Superman (9/10) 
Seiko Oomori : kitixxxgaia (8.5/10)
Kendrick Lamar : DAMN. (8.5/10)
Paramore : After Laughter (8/10)
St. Vincent : MASSEDUCATION (8/10)
SZA - Ctrl (7.5/10) 
Lights : Skin & Earth (7.5/10)
Kesha : Rainbow (7/10)
PASSPO : Cinema Trip (7/10)
Charisma.com : Not Not Me (7.5/10)
E Ticket Production : Rap Show (7.5/10)
Sun Kil Moon : Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood (7/10)
Lee Ranaldo : Electric Trim (710)
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart : The Echo Of Pleasure (7/10)
Haruko Tajima : Haruko ni Umu (7/10)
Mika Nakashima : TOUGH (6/10)
BAND-MAID : Just Bring It (6/10)
Rinnie Hip : Uraharanwei (6/10)
Beach Fossils : Somersault (6/10)
Linkin Park : One More Light (6/10)
Dhani Harrison : In Parallel (6/10)
Japanese Breakfast : Soft Sounds From A Distant Planet (5/10)
Real Estate : In Mind (5/10)
Slowdive : s/t (5/10)
YUKI : Mabataki (5/10)
Nelly Furtado : The Ride (5/10)
LiSA : LiTTLE DEViL PARADE (5/10)
Thurston Moore : Rock n' Roll Consciousness (5/10)
miwa : SPLASH WORLD (5/10)
Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile : Lotta Sea Lice (5/10)
Shiena Nishizawa : Break Your Fate (5/10)
Natsume Mito : Natsumelo (5/10)
Koda Kumi : W Face (5/10)
Michelle Branch : Hopeless Romantic (5/10)
Kaji Hitomi : Naked (5/10) 
Nana Kitade : Violet Cry (4/10)
Pink Guy : Pink Season (Unrateable)
Marilyn Manson : Heaven Upside Down (3/10)
Tyler, The Creator : Flower Boy (No rating, just not my thing)
Katy Perry : Witness (*/10)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:58:17 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Bjork, Utopia

Well it's Bjork alright. I don't know quite how to describe it other then, it's Bjork alright. Sometimes you're walking through a windy fairy forest at night, sometimes you're kind of confused and sometimes it's really nice. But it's never simple. The lyrics are cutting and the delivery in some songs is very upfront like "Features Creatures", one of the highlights. "Saint" was the best song for me, one of the more nice tracks. Some songs are overwhelming like the opener and others more spacious. Lots of flute action and some seriously cool electro bits. Songs often flow right into the next smoothly and...it's Bjork alright. I'm not accustomed to her style yet...I mean I've only listened to her first two albums, but ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf2oyMxo8oc 

Of course T Swift went instant platinum in first week with 500K of that in physical sales. That's a million drop from 1989's first week but that was the peak of her career so you know. Also a #1, Witness was just under 200K first week. DAMN. was 600K equivalent in first week comparatively. HUMBLE. and LOVE. still hang on the Hot 100. Reminder that Emotion only hit 16K in it's first week and 30K by the end of 2015...so numbers are just for fun. But still that's brutal.

Reputation may of had more if it was on Spotify, but perhaps that got people to buy copies like the 25 strategy (damn you Adele, still mildly irked you beat Utada's record but better Adele then Taylor). Taylor has clever marketing people, she is smart with release timings and keeping a low profile in between. Of course her petty and most likely manufactured drama helps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:36:36 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
Vince Staples, Big Fish Theory

Right away when the first vocal comes in unexpected, and it breaks into a crazy verse beat, you know you are in for something good. This is the best kind of rap music, awesome production and with a lot of twists and elements to it. "Crabs In A Bucket" is an awesome opener, and "Yeah Right" is a highlight with the transition bit then bam, Kung-Fu Kenny now. "Love Can Be..." is also very cool, all the guest artists play great roles on the album. The beats are so cool sometimes, like on "Homage". Vince's rapping is also awesome, with great flow. He sounds great on "Samo", love the ending of "Bagbak". This is a very good album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa4vBlzMaeQ

Sampha, Process 

Very cool album! One of those with a lot of styles at once, that I suppose is...alt R&B or Soul to be overly simple. But it's more then that, it's quite suprising. Sampha's vocals are great and there is a very emotive quality to many of the songs. The electro production is great and adds a lot. "Blood On Me" is a great track, with an instantly catchy chorus you hum along with the second time it comes on. It's all good stuff on here, a very solid listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSuIYwBxu4

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
The Guerrilla BiSH

The third full on release from the epic rock alt idols. 

"My Landscape" is a real epic and a remarkable opener. It has a satisfying build up with a long opening verse. Led mostly by strings and the ever powerful voices. "Sharr" is a ripping punk track with a screaming chorus. "Giant Killers" is another fast rock track, really fantastic! It also has strings, which sound so great when the badass chorus is raging on. "Promise The Star" would be the normal sort of midtempo idol ballad, but this track is loud. With the piano, strings and super steady rhythm. It's another remarkable song, the simple bass and guitar parts are just right. There are so many familiar elements to this song, but the way it's BiSHtized takes it over the top.   

"Jam" to has many elements seen in idol midtempo songs with it's keyboards and dynamics, but like all of the album it's...very loud, but evenly mixed. The ender "For Him" is like that, and I love it! With the keyboards going under the rock, and a solid melody. "Here's Looking At You Kid" has a nice walking bassline and J-Rock composition. Things fall in a nice groove until "Alls" where it starts to rip again. BiSH are a powerful group, the girls all sounds great. The members are well balanced, with some more idol voices to some real raw rock voices. One member sounds like Saiki Atsumi from Band-Maid. The musicians are top notch as well. It's great on first listen because I can't wait to see what the next track will sound like.

BiSH have improved so much since last year's release, the compositions are remarkably better with more going on. Where they felt slightly flat previously. Songs like "Giant Killers" have more to them and the way this album takes on familiar elements of idol and ani-pop is great. BiSH has always had this style, they do smoking punk and rock, sometimes getting really wild, but also take breaks to do J-Pop and Rock sounds in their own way. The group is best when they do more original songs like "My Landscape" and "Giant Killers" but the mix works. I really like "For Him" and "Promise The Star" as well. This is another formidable album from the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ombqA70cI