January 17, 2018, 07:42:10 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 3140 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
2017 in Music
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »
I've only listened to one 2017 release, but may as well start a thread for this anyways.

New Kendrick Lamar album in the works! To Pimp a Butterfly was far and away my favorite album of 2015, and good kid M.A.A.D city is near that for 2012. He's implied that he's going to be a bit more confrontational with his religious themes which has made some a little squirmy (some on another forum have speculated that this will be his "worst album ever"). Personally, I'm as excited as ever.

New Seiko album very soon! Formerly titled "Kichigaia," but apparently that was controversial for some reason (?) and the name was changed to "kixxxigaia," pronounced the same way. Probably some sort of copyright issue.

Plus Sigur Ros, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Panopticon, Mount Eerie, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Blut Aus Nord, Sigh, and a surprising collab between Nelly Furtado and John Congleton.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »
So far just three albums I've heard. Sun Kil Moon Common As Light..., long album but interesting as a means for Mark to rant about literally everything he thought and experienced in 2016. PASSPO, Cinema Trip, fantastic great time idol rock music that really drives. No ballads or bumps, it's all great materiel from a group brought back from the near dead. miwa, Splash World, while I can't call it a disappointment I was still sad that miwa's new album wasn't very good. A ballad filled, poorly paced and not to my taste release with only 3 great tunes...2 of which where from 2016.

The only other released album I have yet to hear is the E-Ticket Rap Show EP which is kawaii rap and it's amazing. It has Rinnie who released this tune at the end of last year. Love that song & video.

As for up-n'-comings

Seiko of course. The album title was changed because the word "Kichigai" is considered offensive and can't be said over broadcast. It means crazy, Seiko combined that with the Goddess name "Gaia" for the title but I guess she switched it to "Kixxxigaia" so promoting it and such is less trouble. Anyway I expect super good things from the album. The singles are all great and I think there will be some surprises. DAOKO is guesting on a song as well, oh that's going to be amazing.

Katy Perry is certainly coming out with an album this year. My expectations are rock bottom, barely have a sliver of hope but will still rush to buy it on day 1 because even if I find it hard to like her over time she still is an important artist to me. I just want her next album to be better then Prism but given her new single...hhhm I dunno.

Utada has switched record labels and confirmed new music is coming this year, likely a single or something. I'm kind of interested in Koda Kumi's upcoming albums. Two records on the same day that represent different sides of her. Comes out in a few days. I've not listened to her newer stuff but this concept interests me.

Beach Fossils are making a new album. I quite liked the tunes on Clash The Truth. Their new song "This Year" is less lo-fi with the same kind of guitars but finer production.

Not much else has been announced.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:45:15 PM by Manimal »

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
Ah, that makes sense. It's probably like the r word here.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
New Thundercat album, entitled Drunk

The virtuosic bass player, singer/songwriter at his goofiest (if you ever wanted to hear a song about buying lots of anime and getting Dragon Ball Z snap bracelets, you have "Tokyo"). With his previous two releases being about the death of his friend and keyboardist Austin Peralta, this album is a lot lower-stakes. He turns out some great songs on this one. Surprisingly, "Friend Zone" is one of the best, but soon eclipsed by the beautiful "Where I'm Going." He also has features from Kendrick Lamar and Wiz Khalifa on "Walk on By" and "Drink Dat," respectively. It's a bit long and unfocused, unfortunately, but has some great moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQMIlJbgs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDWSQ6fI9TE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2PjkfH8CI

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
K, I'm listening to sometin right now but just looking at the lyrics...maybe I need to hear this. Also that album cover is such a throwback, looks just like something I'd find with the records at the Thrift Store.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
New Fleet Foxes song. A 9 minute epic. Pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqgNebPm50

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:52 PM »
Katy has put out a few snippets of new songs.

Ugh. One called "Goddess" is okay. It has this long drum fill and it atleast sounds like a thing. But there is this vocal track with lyrics that just...I'm feeling like one of Katy's own lines regarding this "already lost a grip, best abandon ship". I'm a sucker and there's little that will make me not want this album on release day but...

Checked out a few new tunes on Spotify. Thurston released a song "Cease Fire" which is like a multi riff Sonic jam but without Lee to add that certain dynamic. It was alright. Ride's new tune "Home Is A Feeling" is kind of cool and all dream poppy. Also BiS released an album a few weeks ago. Gotta get on that.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
Mount Eerie's new album is streaming on npr:
http://www.npr.org/2017/03...ow-looked-at-me

"WRITTEN AND RECORDED August 31st to Dec. 6th, 2016 in the same room where Geneviève died, using mostly her instruments, her guitar, her bass, her pick, her amp, her old family accordion, writing the words on her paper, looking out the same window. Why share this much? Why open up like this? Why tell you, stranger, about these personal moments, the devastation and the hanging love? Our little family bubble was so sacred for so long. We carefully held it behind a curtain of privacy when we’d go out and do our art and music selves, too special to share, especially in our hyper-shared imbalanced times. Then we had a baby and this barrier felt even more important. (I still don’t want to tell you our daughter’s name.) Then in May 2015 they told us Geneviève had a surprise bad cancer, advanced pancreatic, and the ground opened up. What matters now? we thought. Then on July 9th 2016 she died at home and I belonged to nobody anymore. My internal moments felt like public property. The idea that I could have a self or personal preferences or songs eroded down into an absurd old idea leftover from a more self-indulgent time before I was a hospital-driver, a caregiver, a child-raiser, a griever. I am open now, and these songs poured out quickly in the fall, watching the days grey over and watching the neighbors across the alley tear down and rebuild their house. I make these songs and put them out into the world just to multiply my voice saying that I love her. I want it known. "Death Is Real" could be the name of this album. These cold mechanics of sickness and loss are real and inescapable, and can bring an alienating, detached sharpness. But it is not the thing I want to remember. A crow did look at me. There is an echo of Geneviève that still rings, a reminder of the love and infinity beneath all of this obliteration. That’s why."

- Phil Elverum on the album. I dunno if I can handle the album right now, but it's sure to be a heartbreaker.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:01:18 AM »
So I was iffy about checking out the new Father John Misty singles, but after seeing some interesting pieces written about the writing and recording of the new album I decided to check them out. This is pretty much FJM at the most serious and cynical he's ever been. A screed about the human race, the title track, "Pure Comedy" was performed on SNL, and what a performance it was. Father John is more emotive than ever on stage. You can hear the hatred and defeat in his voice. Ultimately, these songs reflect him and how he deals with tragedy— by registering it as pure comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwDxl4diyI

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
I haven't heard "The Heart Part IV," but the newest Kendrick Lamar track, "Humble" is pretty disappointing. It's trap by-the-numbers and not even good trap by-the-numbers. The beat is pretty silly. It sounds like some soundcloud rapper or something. Maybe that's what he's going for, and has some reason for it, but, bleh, right now it's a headscratcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTRZJ-4EyI

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
10 Best albums of 2017 so far sans Seiko because WHERE THE HELL IS IT AAAAAAHH

PASSPO : Cinema Trip
E Ticket Production : E Ticket Rap Show EP
Haruko Tajima : Haruko ni Umu
Charisma.com : Not Not Me
Rinnie Hip : Uraharanwei EP
Sun Kil Moon : Common As Light...
BAND-MAID : Just Bring It
Mika Nakashima : TOUGH
YUKI : Mabataki
Shiena Nishizawa : Break Your Fate

Yup it's gonna be mostly J Pop this year once more. Little else is catching my interest.

New AZALEA single LONELY TUNING is good. The best part of Aqours really.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:35:19 PM by Manimal »

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
Neither of you have mentioned that Bowling for Soup is coming out with a new album this year, so I really have to question y'alls taste.

Addendum: I haven't actually read through each post in this topic, but I feel fairly confinedent that nobody has mentioned Bowling for Soup anyhow.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 12:50:06 AM »
^There's a reason for that. :P I may give it a listen though. It'd be interesting to hear what they sound like now.

Looks like they have two albums in a row with the word "Drunk" in the title. Going for a trilogy?

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
GUYS LADYBEARD HAS A NEW UNIT WITH THIS JACKED IDOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6B_oEtBhnM

DEADLIFT LOLITA, SIX PACK TWINS. My word.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
Yup, the best non J Pop release of 2017 will be an album for 50 years ago.

Sgt. Pepper is getting a new re-issue that will include the session's two greatest songs Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane. It will have a new mix and should be out by the album's June 1st anniversary.

This should be cool, those songs would make the album so much better. Of course it will be hard to imagine them in the tracklist and really after being set for so long how can one accept a new tracklist? Of course nothing is officially confirmed yet...but it's happening. Strawberry Fields is too damn good to be on the album. It's too much of a giant. Like A Day In The Life it's a pure show stopper that will distract from the rest of the record. Penny Lane is amazing but sounds like Paul's other songs so it can work fine. 

I feel like I talk bad about Peps whenever I mentioned it but it really is a great album. Just not as good as other Beatles albums to me. I still will absolutely be getting this reissue when it comes out, on vinyl I hope as Beatles albums must be heard!