November 24, 2017, 12:22:25 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Highlander: The Search For Vengeance  (Read 428 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Highlander: The Search For Vengeance
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »

At this point I'm definitely on an anime movie watching binge, especially for the really old ones.

I have no idea what the original source material for this work is, but apparently it's a live action movie? For people who know, was that any good?

I really enjoyed this movie: The aesthetics, the action (not Sword of The Stranger Level but still good) and the dystopia are all I really needed. I love stories with grand timelines like these and single-minded mysterious strangers who are badass at what they do for some reason. I especially love how their swords only break in certain situations only.

After watching the original Vampire Hunter D, seeing Collin McCloud in action was a welcome treat. And I must say, I rarely pay attention to voice acting, but those Scottish accents were glorious, and the villain wasn't too bad too. It made me think a lot, even though everything is pretty simple and on-surface storywise.

The art was great, and I think there should be more in the way of movies or content to round it up better, but I'll take it as it is and say I really enjoyed it.

Numbers? I'd say as it is on myanimelist is accurate: 6.9/10. But I truly, truly enjoyed the watch.

Onward to other movies.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:20:00 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Fortis Scriptor

• Senior bucket bearer on the sinking ship of writing.
    • View Profile
Re: Highlander: The Search For Vengeance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »
Wow, I never realized they made an anime movie of Highlander! Yeah Lego it's based on a movie (technically series of movies) that I have a special place for since my Dad is a huge fan of action, and martial arts movies and Highlander was one he very much enjoyed. I love it too but it can be pretty heavy on the  80's cheese at a few moments and the acting isn't going to win any Oscars but it's not awful. If you like 80's fantasy action movies, and since you enjoyed the anime movie perhaps you'd like the original film.

I am certainly going to be checking out the anime adaption since it looks pretty badass.  ;D

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
I'll try to get my hands on them haha. I mean the anime was just so fun.

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »
Highlander was a amazing movie, and also infamously has one of the worst sequels ever in film history with Highlander 2: The Quickening

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
I'll try to avoid the sequel hahaha.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/highlander-reboot-moves-forward-with-john-wick-director-chad-stahelski-1201924861/

Apparently the director of John Wick is going to be making a reboot! Oh man! This might just be epic!

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 03:39:27 AM »
That may actually be worthwhile, as long as its a remake... Hmm I wonder who would make a good modern Mcloud

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
Unsure if it was the director's cut or the regular version of the film that I saw (apparently the former is substantially better), but I found it a bit unmemorable.  It's an okay watch, but I didn't think it made as much of story as it could have; I thought the villain actually made a fair point when he told McLeod that he'd wasted his life in comparison to him and I was disappointed that they didn't pursue that any further.

It's the least of Kawajiri's films, imo.