March 29, 2024, 12:59:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Consuming and Critiquing Anime/Manga  (Read 2297 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Consuming and Critiquing Anime/Manga
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »
TL,DR: I'm starting to lose my enjoyment of anime because of getting into reviews and critiquing it: Do you feel the same way? How do you avoid such feelings?

--
I think I'll be writing either many posts on this topic, or at least reediting this one to clarify all of my thoughts. But it's a bug that's been with me forever, and it won't change any time soon. It's also a problem that I'm hoping someone has insight on.

I love anime (spoiler alert) but like any form of media, not everything is perfect. The thing is, until my much better internet situation I was insulated from the whole critical side of things. Or rather ignorant of the world of reviews and reaction channels.

Thanks to the awesome Happy Hour I finally stepped into it. And as a writer it's so helpful to learn how to look at anime critically.

But there's a problem: I can't turn off my inner critic. I'm starting to dissect every anime I watch in terms of music, art and story, and that feeling of being carried away by the epic worlds that anime has to offer is dissapearing fast. How do you avoid that? Is that ever a problem for you?

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: Consuming and Critiquing Anime/Manga
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:34 PM »
It's weird.

When I do my first impression reviews and watch the first episode of shows I am always looking for things that are off before things that are good. Now I pay great attention to animation and stuff which makes me appreciate great shows more and makes bad art more noticeable. My critic brain is often always on trying to form works. When I watch those first episodes my review is forming in my head already.

In a way it ruins a certain ignorance or something...but it makes me realize what is truly the best. When I re-watched K-ON I was like wow look how actually amazing this animation and direction is compared t what I've been watching for seasonal shows. So a good show just sweeps me in. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so critical when I watch things but I don't mind too much, it makes the good shows even better actually. But really I'm not actually overly critical...I just roll with things as long as I get an honest enjoyment.

Critic brain is like blinking. You don't always think about it but as soon as you do it's hard to stop. But then you just get so taken by something you forget after a while. That's how it is for me.

But also I type my thoughts when they are so well formed. I simply must release them to the world. I think this is cool in a way. It's nice when you're ignorant sometimes, but I think you can't really go back once you start to notice certain things.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:14:04 PM by Manimal »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
It's a problem with me and every media I ingest, really, and it can get in the way of enjoying things, but honestly, I think it just makes the experience better if you can accept that you like something as it is, even with its flaws.

My best example of this is Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. It's got a lot of strong points, but the flaws are sometimes glaring, and for what it's worth sometimes the art just kinda dulls out, or sometimes it will get a little dry and boring. Ergo Proxy has a similar issue with that. But, if you can examine things critically, you can also see what a show does well, and you can form a more educated opinion as to whether or not you like something and for what reasons.

My only challenge is when I try talking to people and I assume that they understand that you can like something that's flawed, especially when the conversation is about Sword Art Online or RWBY. I'm fine having a discussion about the flaws in the shows that I like, but so many people take it personally, like "no, how dare you say this thing I like is flawed!" or something. Meanwhile someone can come up to me and be like "Hey the art in Claymore really sucks and I can't stand to watch/read it because of it" and I'd be like "okay yeah the anatomy is pretty weird-looking."

The fact is exactly what you said: hardly anything is absolutely perfect 10/10 all the time, even the two things I stand by giving a 10/10 rating to (that is, GITS:SAC and Metroid Prime 1), and that's okay.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:54:44 AM »
I heard a saying recently, that there are no bad reasons to like something. However, it went on to say there are no good reasons to not like something.

Our perception of media, art, etc. is subjective feeling based on objective material. I.e. objectively anime can have poor animation, cliche storytelling, poor OST, yet it is still possible to like it. If something is liked by people, but based off objective concepts it should be terrible, are they wrong to like it? And if something is objectively strong, but some people don't like it, are they wrong to not like it? You hear people complaining all the time about '*censored* taste....'

Why did you like anime in the first place? Were you thinking about how strong the animation was or how solid the storytelling was?

For me, it was because it was cool, inspiring, and interesting. I.e. how I personally reacted to the anime. You just need to stay in touch with your personal reactions.

It's good to have standards and to try to make objectively better works of art. I'm not against standards or anything, nor do I not have an appreciation for what is objectively good. However, I am easily immersed in whatever I watch. I notice drops in quality of the animation and what not, but I don't let it bother me. I instead focus on what I like about it, and what is entertaining me or intriguing me.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:56:38 AM by Ryan »