September 25, 2017, 11:05:48 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Winter Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Winter Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

New year, new...season of anime. Join me once again as I look at the shows I want to look at this Winter and like talk about them. The season of the white album is here again. Please feel free to chime in if you'd like.

First Impressions
Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo
Akiba's Trip The Animation
Masamune-Kun's Revenge
Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club
Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel
Sieren
Urara Meirochou
Youjo Senki
Idol Incidents
Gabriel DropOut

Final Thoughts
Konosuba 2
Gabriel DropOut
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

The Mugi Rating
Screw stars and stuff this time we rate First Impression shows on the Mugi scale. It goes like anything worst to best.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:40:34 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Season 2017 : First Impression Reviews & Dicussion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo

Genres : Mystery
Studio : DLE
Source : Novel

Plot Summary
The series will follow the descendant of Kobayashi from Edogawa Ranpo's series of detective novels.

(Source: MAL)
Review

Spoiler

For every show I will briefly be reviewing an item off the Tim Hortons menu. Fear not this boy is not being sponsored, I have not sold out, every Canadian is just born with Tims in their IV. You can't advertise Tims for it is a natural part of life, would you advertise air or water? Yes you would advertise water, you'd also pay 2 dollars for a bottle of it.

Today I will be discussing the classic double double. You go to Tims you get the coffee, unless you're some fricking weirdo. God for sale ($17.99) I go to Tims and just want a breakfast sandwich, what I'm an oddball? "Do you want a coffee?" if I wanted a coffee I'd have asked you know! What do you think this is! A man can't just get a breakfast sandwich at a coffee place without getting coffee! Sure I don't go into McDolands...well ever. Screw that. Anyways the Tim Hortons double double is pretty okay. It's good but you can make comparable if not better coffee at home. It will also be cheaper.

Oh my God (nice to meet you me), we have an anime here today that looks like a cartoon. Sorry American cartoon 'cuz anime are cartoons gooey dooey. Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo, also known as some weeb's new YouTube animation. Oh the irony, while my guitar gently weebs. Fricking thing I swear I can only play "Cruel Angel's Thesis" on it, or Loudness "Rock n' Roll Crazy Nights". Remember Loudness? They where a Japanese hair metal band that actually released some English records and got airtime on MTV. Do I remember Loudness? Yes I listened to Loveless after all. and the sound of my keyboard. I certainly remember loudness, but not the band I wasn't around yet.

Anyway, Chou Shounen Tanteidan Neo is a new short, just 4 minutes, about the new faces of Cartoon Network. You got the boy wonder, his girl partner who is smarter then him but really the dude probably ends up with all the credit because he like has more guts or something, the detective boss who's like smart but I guess not, and some villains. We also met an evil cockroach who battles with them. If this was a cartoon, IT IS, okay okay shut up, if this was...no don't make me say. I'm not going to...fricking Western Cartoon. NO! I hate that word! Western. Like what the sh*t is that? I know Eastern Western and all but it sounds stupid. It's such a dumb distinction to make for shows. Like this is a western cartoon...this is an anime. OH MY GOD. That eats my nerves I have no more. I suppose I can get that cavity filled in now, but I don't really want to.

It may sound like I'm buying time and filling up space because I'm impatient and just want all the shows to air already so I'm watching whatever I can to fill time and if you guessed that...you are right. Go on Jeaopry, show Alex my new hit single 'Alex Troubleback" it's on my Soundtrack. Tell him to listen to Always a Cri-sorry "You Get The Point" my new album now on Capital Records. As in there is a capital in Manimal Tapes, two in fact. What if I just sold tape? Like it's tape right, duct and masking whatever and it has the Manimal written on it. Manimal Tape. It's amusing at first then starts to grade on you.

Anyway Soy Shoenon Titty Nero is about some deceptive deceit detective who do things. In this episode they fight an evil roach who can talk and shoot lasers and...sorry. I think I triggered Paipis. He might not be reading this but I know he can feel it. It's like Vader, my son is on that ship or whatever his line was. Or no that's what Luke said? Not about his son tho, unless plot twist Rey is a man. Oh sorry we don't know about that connection yet but let's get real, I'll be shocked if it's any other way. Anyway like roaches, I can also detect when people speak of me. I sleep like a baby. So in this show the characters fight a roach it was pretty silly.

There where many points where I was going to turn this off, then they showed this old fashion painting of a decetive boy and I was like "oooh stylistic choices". Then the guy goes to swat a roach and it just grabs the paper. It was a surreal moment where what I thought was going to happen didn't happen at all. Much like high school graduation. You know like how you expect all your plot lines to close but then it's real life so you're just in one day and out the next. Like this show which I might soon forget, however the directing was good. The show has style and some decent jokes. It's super kiddy of course, the animation is like I said, a YouTuber, but in good quality. It's a very American cast with the boy and girl duo who I bet will never have any weird tension with each other. The guy's 15. He wants to bang her. Well actually this kid seems pretty dumb so maybe not. Now what if he was 51? Think about it.

Okay I dunno this show is whatever, it's a 4 minute short that had some whoa didn't see that coming moments and good enough directing to keep watching. This is just filler tune in for the real reviews. Unless this is a real review and the candle burns to the street where hobos would dance until the sun rides along their backs and the names of all those one knows will be released to the wind but then gone tomorrow as if it was not even a thought. Like this anime. and Always a Critic. Jk Rolling Stone better update their album list. 'Cuz Pet Sounds is better then Sgt. Pepper.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:10:50 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Genres : Action, Adventure, Supernatural, Ecchi
Studio : Gonzo
Source : Game

Plot Summary
Set in Akihabara, the shopping area has been invaded by creatures known as "Synthisters" who prey on the patrons of Akihabara, feasting on their social energy and will to live. These enemies can only be stopped by direct exposure to sunlight, meaning to defeat these synthisters their clothes need to be ripped off exposing them to sunlight.
Review

Spoiler

Look if you're like me you enjoy licking whip cream off things. But fricking it's all fun and games until someone calls you out for eating out a cafe mocha, ex-cu-se me for just enjoying my food to my own wishes! Remember when McDolands had a bunless burger? I remember seeing a news report on it, and back when I got McDolands in the old days I would rip some of the bun off and just eat the meat, or like the cheese off. I do that with Subway sometimes where I eat the bread and slowly pick apart the mea-the cafe mocha is a mixture of coffee and hot chocolate served with whip cream on top. It's pretty good but if you eat all the whip it's bad and if it melts before you get home it's sad. It's also overpriced but still better then Starbucks.

Take off your clothes, the time has come for...oh actually this is even worse. The time has not come for indecent exposure but rather to strip others. Okay...well, no. Akiba's Trip The Animation! Based off the PS3 game where you strip vampires in Akihabara, we have an anime version which features different characters from Undead & Undressed. It follows the tale of Tamotsu, a normal otaku chilling in Akihabara with his sister Niwaka. Suddenly a girl falls from the sky and engages in a battle where she swings at punk with a bat...here it comes...WHAT CAN YOU DO *ahem* she fights baddies and strips them to their undies leaving them cooking in the sun as she escapes. Tamotsu thinks it's a public performance and moves on to the figure store where he spots a limited edition Liver figure from his favorite series Anatomy Rangers.

Anatomy Rangers. This guy is into a show where the characters are named after organs. Amazing. He goes to grab the rare figure when Arisa arrives, she got big boobies, blonde hair, a thick body and is maybe French because she says "moi" all the time. Great, Japan shows once more what they think foreigners look like. What do they think of Foreigner then? Personally I feel "Rev On The Redline" is their best work but anyway. Arisa grabs the figure and expresses her desire to repaint it, Tamotsu gets excited meeting someone so into Anatomy Rangers and they become friends before the baseball batted red head explodes in to fight Arisa thinking she is "bugged". In this case bugged people are these vampires who are taking over Akihabara and chilling with Nixon. The only way they can be stopped is by stripping them, thus exposing them to the air and making them normal again. Ya it's that kind of show. Ecchi caps on, brain goo release. Tamotsu runs into the red head again, helps her out, gets stabbed and through the power of a long held kiss becomes super powered like her, thus joining her team in fighting the bugs. Bam.

So basically we have a typical fighting girl meets normal boy type story. He was a boy, she was a girl and now he's in on it all. Of course as soon as Tamotsu gets his powers he is able to destroy the baddies Mayoka struggled against. It's an average set-up but it does the job. First things first the action. I was alarmed by the violent and speed of the fights here. There where quick but cool bits of animation, Mayoka really gets a pounding. The baddies take her skirt off 'cuz panties then punch her till she looks like Rocky II. Lots of impact to the hits. It was all pretty light and silly however, it's not a super serious show after all, they're stripping vampires in Akihabara.

For characters we have Tamotsu, he is dorky and quite passionate about what he likes. One funny thing is he's written his own novel which he references and quotes to other people! He was rather likable, even if he's standard. Arisa is the playful foreign blonde, kind of an airhead but also a super powered fighter. Mayoka really didn't get too much personality yet, she seems cool but is fairly nice and gets our hero into her world. The cast isn't instantly amazing and I don't except much out of them but it's a likable bunch. Animation wise it looks great. The cartoony style works very well and makes the ecchi more silly then sexy. Arisa's boobs are super pointy and the stripping scenes look more goofy then anything, just a simple rip and reaction. No nudity but no annoying censoring either, logical choices. Did I mention this is made by Gonzo? Whaaat Gonzo is still around? Nice, I hear their ahead on schedule to so if this show can keep up the quality it should be nice to look at the whole time.

The ecchi in this episode was fluffy, it didn't really register as much. The tone is light overall and it was pretty fun. The idea is silly and the Akihabara makes this show's intended audience very clear. Voice acting was decent here but the cool thing is Funimation is releasing the dubbed episodes 30 or so minutes right after the broadcast! Just like they did with Space Dandy. Crunchyroll is also streaming it, this partnership is badass. I'm not watching the dub but this is cool. Sub wise I thought Aina Suzuki, who performed 2016's biggest lesbian Mari from Love Live! Sunshine!!, was voicing Arisa but it turns out Yuki Nagaku, who has few roles behind her yet, is. Rie Takahashi, one of the industry's biggest rising stars, is voicing Mayoka.

Overall the first episode of Akiba's Trip was quite enjoyable. It has some cool fast action, fun dorky characters, a good setting and a silly concept. I don't expect too much out of it but if this is anything to go by I think it will be a fun watch! If you're down with the idea and don't mind some typical fanservice then this might be one to check out! It's nothing to lose your shirt over, but maybe just maybe it's worth a sock or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUGeA2lur4
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:39:20 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »
Masamune-kun's Revenge

Genres : Harem, Comedy, Romance, School, Shounen
Studio : Silver Link.
Source : Manga

Plot Summary
As a child, Masamune Makabe once suffered greatly at the hands of a wealthy and beautiful girl named Aki Adagaki, who nicknamed him "Piggy" due to his chubby appearance. Seeking revenge against his tormentor, Masamune works hard to improve himself and returns as an incredibly handsome, albeit narcissistic, high school student. When he encounters Aki once again, he is prepared to exact vengeance.

With the aid of the rich girl's maid, Yoshino Koiwai, Masamune slowly begins to build his relationship with Aki, intending to break her heart when the time is right. However, as his friendship with Aki begins to grow, Masamune starts to question the objectives of his devious plans, and if bringing them to fruition is what his heart truly desires.
[Written by MAL Rewrite]
Review

Spoiler

You know how sometimes it's great and then the next day it's disappointing? The Tim Horton sausage breakfast sandwich on an English muffin can be amazing or meh depending on who's making it. Never before have I eaten something so inconsistent to this degree. It can be great, it can be made on terrible butt end bread, it can be burnt, sometimes different people will vary the order of cheese, egg and sausage. SOMETIME I get the wrong sandwich all together! But it's still pretty decent and ya overpriced. I know have a file on my computer with "2017" tagged on it.

Hot people always get their way. That is the message of Masamune-Kun or atleast this first episode. Like it or not that is a truth of this world and the show rolls with it. Our hero Makabe was once a fat lard but he was rejected by his crush Aki. Bro trains and gets super buff and aims to get a great start at a new high school, everyone loves him but then he meets Aki again and his prior trauma returns. and things get worse when he discovers Aki and her lap dog Yoshino in a gym shed. Aki's secret...she's super gay. No she just eats a lot of food. BIG TWIST, Aki a growing high school girl eats a ton of food because she needs to get a lot of calories and a proper sugar intake and she's also self conscious about her stomach rumbling. Makabe now tries to get it good with Aki so he can make her fall in love with him then dump her in the most awesome of ways for his revenge!

Aki is the "Cruel Princess" she hates all guys and rejects them horribly, giving them awful nicknames and basically killing their social lives in one swing. She has a fleet of girls at her command and looks down her nose at everyone. One day a nerd she labeled "Pudding Prince" gets back at her, trying to cut off one of her twin tails. Finally jeez, Aki makes herself look powerful but all it takes to get her on the ropes is a slightly heated confrontation. But of course Makabe white knights her at the last second, thus saving her hair and...maybe life? I dunno bro is pretty chill with the nerd later. This guy gets the nerve to attack Aki with scissors and Makabe is patting him on the shoulder the next day like ya it's all good. You fricking psycho it's all good. Wtf is this show. Ooooh but yes of course Aki knows Makabe is the fatlard from before and now the antics begins. Siiiiigh.

This show is dumb man. I mean it's just a typical overblown high school harem type show but...it's base is so weak. There is no reason Aki should hold any power, she's tiny and only gets by because her grades are good and she's pretty. Her personality is wicked, she's the ultimate bitch. She treats Yoshino poorly and only seems to care about herself. Somehow guys keep confessing to her when meanwhile all the other girls in the school are really sweet. You know in a way that is realistic, the guys go with their dicks and ignore the nice girls to go after the one they can't have. Okay I can get it, and ya Makabe is handsome so he gets his way. Bro is not even that handsome tho, he just looks like Kirito. There's one scene where he's looking at girls play tennis and the girls give the innocent geek nearby crap instead of him. This is realistic actually so I do give the show points for portraying the realities of high school like this.

Naturally this is a silly show where kids rule the world. Aki stands on a rooftop and talks over a loud speaker to reject a guy. Yoshino unrolls a scroll as well. and suddenly everyone hates this guy because he reads a genderbender manga and writes his own self insert novels online. Also because he has a chest mole with a single hair sticking out. Again this show does reflect things pretty well even if it's...just annoying. The big juice Makabe has on Aki is her appetite. Like ooooh she eats a lot of food. Unless she pukes it out later or wears a Slimming Belt Waist Waistband Wrap Shaper (buy one now only $29.99) who cares? Why is it such a big deal that she eats a lot of food? THAT'S THE BIG JUICE? REALLY? How weak, what an awful and truly lazy base.

Plot convicne runs high here and all the events tring together in a very clumsy and sloppy manner. The flashback with Makabe and AKi doesn't tell enough, it makes it seem like maybe Aki was friendly with him but...I dunno. She wasn't mean when rejecting him either. The idea of a fatkid becoming super buff is fine, he gets motivated and does his best to improve himself, cool. Even the idea of getting his revenge on a mean girl is fine and you know how this show is going to end up. He'll be like "I hate you so much I'm going to make you fall in love with me so I can crush you heart!" then in time he'll be like "oh I really do love you". It's so predictable, you can figure it all out. Meanwhile Makabe makes fast friends with an actual kind and friendly girl, and Yoshino is also portrayed as being a decent person. So...what's Aki? Is she likable? Feeeh not yet. But the idea of an unlikely lead character is good, I think that's kind of awesome actually. But we'll see how it plays out.

Now with all these themes it depends how the show will take them and where it will go. The set-up is unfortunately realistic but it's portrayed in a goofy over the top high school manner. This show could actually turn out to be good, that's the thing. This episode didn't leave me feeling meh, there was much I disliked about the idea but I also see a light here. Aki acts like a super bitch but she also is incredibly self conscious and maybe just awkward inside. She's the rich girl so maybe there is a likable person in her. I am interested to see how the cast is fleshed out. Makabe knows how to play the game, he is also self conscious and puts on the hot guy act to make all the girls love him. I sense human elements to these two. You feel bad for Yoshino right away, she's a faithful servant of Aki's and she is given no respect. But there has to be a reason she hangs around Aki.

Masamune-Kun has potential if it explores it's idea better, right now it feels doofy and annoying but it has these elements of real high school life and there are maybe more sides to the cast we don't know yet. I don't see this show being amazing in the end and in fact I can already sense many classic tropes coming on. But we've seen mean girls melt in anime before, Toradora turned out pretty good when Taiga was fleshed out. Aki seems like she's putting on as much of an image as Makabe is, acting cold and cool so no one thinks she's weak, these characters reflect each other. They are both fakers who play the game. They know the rules and...so do I? I dunno.

On a production level the show is actually quite nice. There are cool blue tints to everything and the animation is solid. Aki is really the only good looking character design in the show, the rest of the cast is kind of...flat in a way. Makabe has a loli mom which is kind of amazing. I like the details on Aki's face, she has this real mean gaze. Also her legs, this is a leg show everyone. Lots of leg shots, this is a slight ecchi afterall but I doubt we'll get a lot of fanservice here, only typical things. We have many good seiyuus in this show and ChouCho's ED is fantastic! Fricking ChouCho, I love her, all her anime songs are awesome. They're so perfectly fit and done well in that ani-pop style. This one "Elemetal World" is a solid mid-tempo tune. It's honestly the best part of this episode! The OP is very meh.

Overall the first episode of Masamune-Kun's Revenge leaves me going....hhhhm. In a way I think it sucks, in another way I see how it could go in a good direction. I tried the manga before but I thought it completely blew. It does have a unique enough set-up in the fat kid gets buff and tries to strike back at the girl that rejected him, bro is super motivated. If this show explores it's cast and themes then it should be good. I do hope it gets deeper into things, because there is something here, it might not be a pretty thing but it is a thing. However this is not nearly a serious enough thing to actually give us deep themes and meanings, it's a goofy high school show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpF8Wa2yQH0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:21:45 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club

Genres : Sports, School, Shounen
Studio : J.C.Staff, A.C.G.T.

Plot Summary
Maiharu Hiromi has moved to Kamakura Nagasaki, and rides a bicycle to school everyday. Then she meets Akizuki Tomoe, the leader of the girls cycling club. She therefore joins the club and her life gradually begins to change.

[Source MAL]
Review

Spoiler

Someone needs to give you the belt. Or maybe just the B.L.T. Either one will do. Tim Hortons was once a coffee place, then they transformed into a hey breakfast and lunch is cool to place. So naturally when you go to the Tims you want a B.L.T. Of course, why would you go to Subway o-ooh. It's actually pretty good. Perfect bread, bacon which I don't normally like is fine...it's pretty decent actually! How much does it cost? Okay, no. Just make your own sandwich at home people. 

Reina Ueda! Everyone watch out for this girl, she's a great up an coming seiyuu. Ueda is in another biking anime now! First she was Sakura in Bakuon! and now she's almost the same character, Hiromi, in Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club. The exciting story of a new high school student who breaks out her old bicycle only to find she sucks at it. By chance she comes across a fellow first year, Tomoe, on her way to the school's opening ceremonies. Tomoe gives her a hand and shows where some sights on their way to school. Hiromi is new to town also. The two meet a biking teacher on the way there and it ends with Hiromi determined to learn to bike! This show is a slow moving and very pretty cute girls slice of life about biking. Imagine Long Riders but with good production, Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club.

Hiromi is our standard lead, she's a bit of an airhead and clumsy but kind and good natured. Scattered brained but passionate. She tries to learn to bike again but literally doesn't even know she needs to pedal and has no concept of breaks. She makes quick friends with Tomoe who shows her some biking tips. It's the typical new kid in town meets a new friend set-up but what makes it work is the absolutely beautiful backgrounds. Animated by J.C. Staff and A.C.G.T. you can tell who's making the backgrounds. The settings are colourful, vivid, and thanks to the good directing you can almost smell the air as they approach the beachside. I was so impressed by the visuals, it was a stunning summer vibe I got from this.

The character art can be a bit dopey at times but the lines are very crisp and the designs are nice. I like the style, it looks older then it is, which is a look I'm fond of. Nice and simple designs. The animation was fairly good as well, J.C. Staff has done well using CGI only at the right times, like the backgrounds in Flying Witch you barely even notice when there's CG as it's very smoothly integrated. The voice acting was excellent, Reina Ueda is seriously one of my top voice actresses now, she killed it in Bakuon and ReLIFE and while it's funny to see her get cast as virtually the same character as Hane, she still sounds a bit different. She has this perfect dorky tone. The OP had a great composition with some twists here and there. I was so shocked that the ED was sang by a guy. I can count on one or two hands the amount of cute girl shows I've seen that feature male vocal songs. It was a decently fit tune as well.

We've seen an increase in cute girl bike shows recently, coming off of Long Riders last season it seems odd to have another, however this one is setting up to be a real pleasant watch. The settings are so good and to see the characters explore more and build a passion for biking, that could be really good. I found the characters to be likable and I got some chuckles out of Hiromi's bike fail montage. It dragged a bit and many times I felt like I was watching something I'd already seen. Like the classroom scene was so similar to Amanchu's first episode. The teacher is just like the one in that show as well. There is little new to the set-up but what really drew me in was the seaside bits. I will watch this show for the backgrounds because wow that was nice.

Overall the first episode of Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club was pretty good. It's typical for a show of it's kind and the only real shock is in the scenery. However the set-up is enough for me, I like the two characters introduced and the overall theme. I feel like this show is going to hit some nice slice of life feels. The rest of the cast is seen in the OP, they look like an amusing bunch. We've seen this stuff before but with a presentation this pretty I don't mind! We'll see how it goes.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel

Genres : Action, School
Studio : J.C.Staff
Source : Game

Plot Summary
It's the near future. The newly established girls' private school Goryoukan Academy has another face. This school has a special unit, Fifth force, who is assembled and selected from the school's student body in order to fight an enemy called Oburi.

This is a story about love, courage and friendship about the girls called Strikers.
[Source MAL]
Review

Spoiler

Do you know how you say whale in French? F*ck. I think? Is it whale or dolphin, I think I learnt this in elementary school. As if I remember any French I learnt in school, I learnt more from McCartney in "Michelle" and Mustaine in "A Toute Le Monde" then I remember from school. The Tim Hortons french vanilla is like creamy or something? I dunno I used to get it all the time before I drank coffee. It's okay.

I hate it when I'm just trying to have a good time in school when suddenly monsters attack and I have to transform into a skimpy outfit to engage in battle. Schoolgirl Strikers is the story of a private girls' school with it's own fighting unit. Some kind of monsters have stricken generic action set piece town #309 and the students are all divided into units with their own areas to cover. We follow one group who aren't amazing but I guess they don't totally suck. We meet our cast in this episode and watch them do poorly in battle before being saved by another squad of bikini clad battle babes. We learn one member of the main team, Tsubama, has lost her memories and doesn't really go to school...and um, I kinda zoned out a bit here.

Schoolgirl Strikers is another fairly underwhelming battle academy show that happens to have great animation. We have our cast of fairly likable school girls and some kind of weird menace they fight against. They enter another dimension to fight them, I guess so it doesn't slip into ours? This is only the "near future" to and there is inter dimension travel and pocket item transformations. Yes this show has magical girl transformations. I would not classify it as a magical girl show but our heroines take these objects out of their pockets which change them into battle outfits of varying colouring. Each squad has a different theme. The main one is pretty standard, another group are straight up maids and in the end we meet the elite bikini team. Girls in bikinis with machine guns.

The characters that pop are Yuumi, she seems to be our center. She's right into the schools seven mysterious and puts a sword in the gardens for fun to see who can pull it. Yuumi is dorky and excitable and voiced by...guess who, KanaHana! As normal she gives a great performance but her passion doesn't quite translate through the relatively dull mouth flaps. The rest of the girls have fairly normal and relaxed personalities. Mana is playful twintails, Tsubame is the slightly unsure but nice leader, Io is the mom and...I don't remember what Satoka did. The cast is likable and I like their position. They are not amazing but recognize the talent of others and strive to be better. The AI is voiced by the same seiyuu as the one in Magical Girl Raising Project and she does the SAME VOICE. Please no. Never again.

Now the best part about this show is the art. Damn J.C. Staff delivers, the action looked great here. Some dorky long shots but in battle everything was smooth and very cool. The character designs are fairly nice and they wear similar school uniforms to the Snafu students. Their battle outfits are pretty tame, not too outrageous, but the one team with maid outfits...that was kind of odd. The bikini girls where just straight up cool though. There is a bit of fanservice here. A shower scene with nothing more then arms and necks and the busty teacher in tight clothes. Magical girl transformations always manage to look somehow sexual, even when they're as quick and nude free as this. 

Overall the first episode of Schoolgirl Strikers was relatively good but also not overly memorable. The tone of this episode was well balanced. Unlike Ange Vierge which was a clumsy mess, this kept a light tone, even in battle. I like that, not too serious but not totally ridiculous. The cast is more grounded and even though things weren't explained in much of an interesting manner, they have their enemies to fight. This episode didn't really grab me too much but it wasn't bad or anything. I don't even want to call it average because it has nice animation and a good cast, but all the plot and that mumbo jumbo made me kind of tune out. It wasn't too interesting. I will watch a few more episodes and see where it goes. I'm down for school girls kicking buttock as long as it's fun.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
Seiren

Genres : School
Studio : Studio Gokumi, AXsiZ
Source : Original

Plot Summary Shoichi Kamita is an ordinary high school boy, who is faced with the university entrance exam and worried about his future. This campus romantic comedy, "Seiren", which means honest in Japanese, depicts his pure relationship with three different heroines. Each story is the unique and mutual memory between him and the heroine.

[Source Crunchyroll]

Review

Spoiler

You should not do it but you still do. I know, humanity is pretty darn stupid. We know it's a bad idea, we know when it's self destructive, but we don't listen. The Tim Hortons frosted cinnamon roll is nothing but sugary trash. The icing destroys your teeth, literally it irks one of my teeth. It's so unhealthy but yet...it's so damn good. The icing I like to lick off, the bun...which is just okay. It beats all the other donuts and stuff. But it should also be avoided at all costs.

Remember how you never got a nice romance in high school 'cuz you where too much of a wimp, even though girls where messing with you, still you'd be like "nah no one likes me". Seiren. A take off from the Amagami series, this show is basically three romantic tales of our hero Shouichi with a different heroine. So unlike the normal visual novel/dating sim type stories we go through different paths instead of one steady one with bits inbetween. This arc is about Hikari, a classmate of Shouichi's who teases him and in a basic sense, knows what she wants and how to get it. We are dropped right in on the story, these two already know each other and in their first encounter Hikari is sitting on Shouichi's desk to make him excited over the though of "hey a butt was just here". She then invites him for lunch with her friends and jumps in on a study session with Shouichi and his friend Ikuo, getting him to tutor her making Shouichi jealous. Later our hero goes on a trip to the mountains when suddenly Hikari appears soaking wet and climbs through his hotel room window like a woman possessed.

This was an odd start to things. We are dropped right in on the action and it moves along at a steady pace. We can tell Hikari and Shouichi have known each other for a bit and now Hikari is starting to make her moves. She messes around with him a bit but there isn't a whole lot of chemistry felt between the two. Shouichi is just kind of awkward. There is another connection with his older sister, Tomoe, who is up against Hikari in some Santa contest, I think she won or...I dunno I guess I missed something. Dude plays this weird toilet themed game with her. With Seiren we will be getting three different self contained romance stories and judging by the feel of things they will get to business fast. This is great as 2016 was lacking a real romantic show. Seiren has a more realistic and grounded tone and seems to focus around natural situations. Shouichi is just a kind of self insert character as these male leads are. and by the nature of the show we don't have to pick best girl 'cuz we get it all. Personally I prefer one romantic path but I think it will work fine with shorter and faster paced stories like this.

The pacing is pretty quick here so there's no real moment of gooey love. Just Shouichi admiring the butt mark on his desk and creepily watching Hikari work at a restaurant. This first episode feels pretty underwhelming but I think it'll pick up next episode, this was just the set-up. I really like the idea of this show, I did not finish Amagami SS but I'd like to. This more grounded take on romance is great.

Now let's talk about the best part. The characters are beautiful in this show. The art style is wonderful, very realistic characters that still have detail and enough distinction to look different from more then a hairstyle change. My word the girls are stunning in this show, even the guys don't look too bland. It's a seriously nice look. The only issue, it doesn't move very well. The animation is really not great, and though the detail is kept throughout the actually movements can feel a bit awkward, as well as some of the faces at a distance. So it's pretty character art with animation sacrificed. There is some ecchi content here but it feels like stuff that would occur naturally. Judging by the OP I can see this show getting lewd at times which in the right context could be very good and meaningful instead of cheap. But we'll see where it goes from here. The OP song was pretty good! and each heroine gets her own ED, this one was alright. Voice acting was great across the board.

Overall the first episode of Seiren was not quite all there. Although I feel good vibes about what's coming nothing was overly gripping about this episode expect for what I think it could lead to. I was a bit bored by the second half and didn't feel any real spark between Shouichi and Hikari. I like Hikari and her teasing playful personality but the two didn't really spark, Shouichi is so plain. But naturally that's the point of a self insert character. The character designs are great, animation not so much. Still I'm in it now so let's see where it goes! I am hoping for some great ani-romance this year.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:19:28 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
Urara Meirochou

Genres : Slice of Life, Comedy, Seinen
Studio : J.C.Staff
Source : 4-koma manga

Plot Summary This is Meiro-machi (Labyrinth Town), the town of fortune-telling. In town, there is a fortune-telling shop called Urara, where girls aspiring to be fortune-tellers come from all over the country. Chiya, who was raised in the mountains, comes to the town with a purpose, but what is it exactly? There, she meets Kon who is always serious, Koume who loves all things western, and the shy Nono. Their fun days of living together as apprentice fortune-tellers are about to begin.

(Source: MAL News)

Review

Spoiler

When life gives you lemons get it frozen. In the freezer #19. This is the Tim Hortons frozen lemonade. One time I got it and there was an eyelash it in. I still don't know if it was mine. Eh. It's a good summer drink and is pretty cheap but you still probably shouldn't get it. But it's not bad every once and a while. It gives you brain freeze. Icky.

Urara Meirochou is like, hey boobs and butts are too common eh, what about bellies? Oh J.C. Staff, this isn't the first time you've done this. *Ahem* need your fortune told? Well here is the exciting story of four moe girls on their way to becoming urara, basically they are invited to enter training to become fortune tellers. It takes place in a sort of mystical town, a whimsy environment where we meet our main character Chiya. Raised by the wolves she grew up wild in the mountains. One day she goes to town and gets into some trouble when her animal friends start stealing food from the markets. She apologizes by lifting her shirt to her breasts which is apparently the most revolting and indecent thing anyone in this town has seen. Chiya runs away and runs into Kon and Koume who are also on there way to Urara. They meet shy girl Nono there and just chill, talking about what types of fortune telling they wish to use. Kon is obsessed with foxes, Koume does tarot cards, even though she thinks making them into a house of cards is how you use them, Nono is a nutcase with her ventriloquist doll and Chiya doesn't know what her thing is yet.

Okay so we have another nice slower moving cute girls slice of life, but what made this show good is the setting! Taking place in this comfy sort of fabley town it makes for some interesting sets and outfits which give the show a nice vibe. Certainly something to make it stand out from the other cute girls shows this season. I did like the vibe from this episode. The characters are quite likable. Chiya is a weird mountain girl who's looking for her mom, she doesn't really understand much and is big on getting people to follow her weird habits like lifting their shirts when they're sorry. I liked Kon she was kind of shy but cool, big on foxes. Her favorite band would be Babymetal I guess? Koume was kind of the smug one, she likes card but does she have the heart of the cards? Doesn't look like it. Nono was the only character I didn't like. She was just the shy one, like the suuuper shy one, which is personality my least favorite character trope as these characters are often all the same. We also meet the Captain of the town and some other folks, it's an overall nice group of characters.

The art is very solid, excepted once again from J.C. Staff to deliver a nice production. Very cute designs as well as nicely stylized backgrounds. I like all the characters outfits, Chiya has these red bottoms that wrap around her arms while the other girls where modified kimonos. It all looks and moves very well. Voice acting is standard but good. This is Chiya's seiyuu Sayaka Harada's second role. Koume's seiyuu Yurika Kubo did Hayano in Love Live! The OP and ED where also kinda of stock but they where alright tunes.

Overall I'm surprised, Urara Meirochou leaves me with few words. I did think this was a pretty solid first episode. It set up our cast and this fun environment so I think it's going to be a good watch. It was pretty fast paced, coming from a 4-koma, and had a good tone. There are some more ecchi elements here but it's all belly-centric which is...different. Picking up some light yuri vibrations like Chiya and Kon touching noses and the fortune telling scene. Things are looking good for this show I think it will be quite enjoyable! Sometimes the less I have to say the better. Check out Urara Meirochou if you want a cute girls slice of life set in a cool environment with those mystical elements.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
Youjo Senki

Genres : Military, Magic
Studio : NUT
Source : Light novel

Plot Summary On the front lines of the war, there is a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes, and porcelain white skin, she commands her squad with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being who calls himself God. This little girl, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army.

Review

Spoiler

Chocolate. Did you say...carnations? Thanks for the flowers I do appreciate it. You can be so thoughtful at times you know. Like I was just sitting here and....the Tim Hortons chocolate chip muffin. Do this one time take off the top and smell it. It's heavenly, but only sometimes. Again these muffins vary in taste, but often they are pretty great. I do recommend them for once! Woohoo.

Lolis can do anything. Youjo Senki is the wartime story of Tanya, a young girl raging battle in the frontlines of...world war I? Or II? Or some war, also wizards. There are magic users and Tanya is one of them, making her one of the most feared lieutenants in the empire. The twist...well we don't know. The summary tells us Tanya is an elite salaryman reborn as a little girl, but the show just kind of hints at that. So I don't really know how to summarize it yet! Tanya and other magical infused girl, Viktoriya, kick some buttocks. We see Tanya is ruthless and quite crazed. and some other commanders talk a.k.a. my brain cut out until the next fight scene. 'Cuz that's boring eh.

So the first episode of Youjo Senki didn't really...do everything necessary in introducing a show like this. We only know Tanya is a reborn salaryman because of the description a one liner she makes. Without that it just looks like a loli is kicking bum. It's fine to not do everything in episode 1, so how was it in terms of being gripping or anything else? Well it was fairly cool. Some action at last, it's one of those time undefined war stories that happen to have magic users. Tanya and crew fight guys in like flying horses or something in the sky yet they all use old fashion rifles. Because they have the technology to invent these magic things but they still use these old guns, okay sure. The action was pretty decent in this episode and Tanya is just kind of, hhhm about it all. It's funny when she just snaps to this indifferent character with a loli voice. She sends two troops who go against orders to a dangerous position in hopes that they die and does a nasty smile at the end so....oooh watch out she bad.

The animation was pretty solid in this episode, there where some brief gun fights as well as magical explosions. The scenes in the sky looked great. The character designs are a bit odd but standout among the other shows. Tanya and Viktoriya look like their from a different series. Viktoriya has these gothic mopey eyes like a Soul Eater character and Tankya has the most detail eyelashes. Meanwhile all the soldiers look like standard brickwalled troops, I felt like I was watching Joker Game again. As for the cast themselves Tanya is an evil loli. We didn't get to know everything about her yet but she shows how evil she can be here. She felt...unbalanced as a character but I guess that her calm to crazy nature. Viktoriya looks too nervous to be on a battlefield. Meanwhile everyone else is just like solider a, commander b. They all kind of blend together which makes the two girls stick out. Again the designs and big bright eyes help to.

I like the idea of having a brutal loli solider. Naturally you couldn't just have a killer little girl so she has to be a reborn adult. I suppose she was a salaryman from the future or...I dunno. The show leaves questions but do we really care to know more? Well sort of...this was not a bad episode. I did like the action scenes but I zoned out during all the exposition and planning. I don't know which side is which and who is who, is Tanya evil or...I don't know. This show needs a few more episodes to judge. I feel a three episode rule is unnecessary but in this case I really can't tell how this show will turn up. I like where it going in some regards. The voice acting is great, Tanya is performed by veteren Aoi Yuuki and Viktoriya by soft voice queen Saori Hayami. No OP or ED in this episode.

Overall the first episode of Youji Senki was not bad. There are few words to type about it as we just don't know enough yet to judge the direction. I think it can be fun, after all it's a murderous loli, but the show looks like it's going to go a more serious route maybe? Hell if I know. As it stands I enjoyed this episode so let's see what's next. Having an action show among the comfy slice of life stuff is alright anyway.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Idol Incidents

Genres : Music
Studio : MAPPA, Studio VOLN
Source : Original

Plot Summary Increasing income divide, creeping environmental pollution, unsolvable waste issues, childcare waiting lists being discussed without those concerned, repeated corruption… The government, smeared by vested interests, can't do a thing against the many problems and sources of discontent. It's in this situation, with Japan cornered with no way out, that idols rise up to save the day!

The Heroine Party, Sunlight Party, Starlight Party, Bishoujo Party, Wakaba Party, Subculture New Party, and SOS Party. From these seven idol political parties, the idols who have become National Diet members and representatives for each prefecture will smash through the sense of stagnation covering Japan using the power of song and dance! They'll bring back the smiling faces of the people, and wrap Japan in a glittering aura!!

(Source: Honeyfeed)
Review

Spoiler

You know how you start a joke and it just gets lazy and you want to stop doing it? Ya that.

Idols have saved schools from closing. Idols have brought attention to local communities. Idols have saved earth from a meteor shower by playing crane based game. Idols have saved the world with space age inner planetary rebel concerts. Who am I kidding, Crane Game Girls are clearly more bad ass then AKB0048. Idol Incidents is the newest and hippest show in the "idol gimmick" series. Unlike shows such as Love Live and Idolmaster that thrive on being full on idol based series, Idol Incidents is one of those "what can we put idols into next?" type things. The idea of this show...idols in the office.

Natsuki is a girl from the country. In her small town she cheers on rice farmers with happy songs and powers her power. One day by complete chance a producer happens to be driving by and scouts Natsuki. She's invited to an audition where contenders must run up a big hill to test their strength, this show is focused on idols being in great physical shape. Natsuki is the only one who makes it to the top and bam she's part of the Idol Diet Women now. Basically she's now running for office. Okay let me explain...well I would if the show explained things a bit better. But to my understanding there are multiple parties running for office, one is the Heroine Party fronted by idols. The other, normal boring politics, the Rougai party. So Natsuki is running for office, straight out of the rice fields...to the office. She meets her partner, Onimaru Shizuka, a popular idol with an overwhelming aura. Making her a big star but a hard person to work with. She's to do a show with Natsuki and begins her idol training. "This is your Mother's mini skirt, she wanted you to have this when you where old enough".

Naturally Natsuki is not great and Shizuka is like, screw off you suck. After what was apparently days worth of training Natsuki goes to do the show alone. It's a trainwreck until Shizuka arrives and they team up for beautiful idol magic. They charm the crowd and aim for the office together, meanwhile the baddies won't stand for it! Okay this was basically 2-3 episodes worth of content in one go, my word this was way too fast paced. It's basically a silly story where idols can run for office and I suppose deal with political affairs...this episode was just focused on getting the characters in place. There is a lot to set-up however and much is comprised in development and explanation to jam content in the premier.

We start setting up Natsuki as a country girl and there is a loose element of home town sentiment by one boy who cheers her on at the concert. Still it moves way too fast and there doesn't feel like much of a connection between Natsuki and her town. From snap to snap Natsuki becomes an idol in no time, all she had to do was run up a hill. The way she was recruited was all to easy as well. A producer happened to notice her, and Natsuki doesn't even have to think. She's down with the idea right off the bat. She's the typical center type character, cheerful, happy and passionate. She loves rice so much she has clips of it in her hair...

Shizuka is a bit cold and trains Natsuki hard before deeming the partnership impossible. There is a compelling dynamic with her issues of overshadowing others and it's all resolved so quickly. The first time she goes onstage with Natsuki they just click together, even though they where struggling in rehearsal. It was like the show resolved an entire character arc in mere minutes. This show clearly has better things to do and just wanted to get things in place fast to move onto the main point. Still this would be like if all the girls in Love Live came together in 2 episodes instead of...more then half of the season.

Not enough was really explained but again, it's only the first episode. We get kind of hints of what the show is about with the rival party semi introduced. The idea of idols running for office is quite amusing, especially if they're running against actually politics. One has to wonder how this will be interesting or fun to watch but who knows. This first episode was just too quick as a set-up, wasting no time getting to the point. Artwise it's a rather okay series. The artstyle is...fine. It's not quite as kiddy as Aikatsu or as pretty as the Idolmaster. I actually thought Natsuki's voice acting was weak, she had a bit of a flat tone. The songs where also very genetic and stock. The dance scene was typical as well with a bit of CGI for far shots. It was about on par with Love Live Sunshine's CG, so it still looks different but it's not terrible. In the dance scene the two characters clash auras and massive flowery graphics overpower everybody. The production is fine here.

Overall the first episode of Idol Incidents was far too fast paced. Although it could turn out fun it introduces it's characters in a clumsy and rushed manner, speeding up development to pack everything in one quick lead off. It seems like it'll be yet another lazy idol show, the idol genre really doesn't have all that many good shows. Some series turn out half assed and end up not trying to do anything with themselves. I hope this isn't Idol Incidents but I don't harbor a ton of hope right now. We'll see where it goes, I'll watch more but I'm unsure how it will be after how rushed this first episode was.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
Gabriel DropOut

Genres : Comedy, Supernatural, School, Shounen
Studio : Doga Kobo

Plot Summary Chief Angel has come to Earth! However, she became so used to the life on Earth that she skips school and keeps playing online games, thus into self-destruction. It's a school comedy that Gabriel turns into a lazy angel!

(Source: MAL News)

Review

Spoiler

Angels are dreaming of the sloth life. Gabriel DropOut is Doga Kobo's exciting new slice of life, well kind of slice of life, but to be fair it's about as realistic as New Game. Angels coming to Earth or a video game developers loving their job? You decide which one sounds more likely. Gabriel DropOut is the tale of Gabriel, a pure angel who comes to earth in order to go to high school while helping out humanity. Everything is going just fine for her until she accidentally comes across an MMO. After being suckered in healing people she reaches the point of no return when she spends real money on a staff. In no time she goes from the perfect citizen to a complete NEET. Messy room, shaky attendance, unkempt appearance, and a game addiction.

We meet some other angels and demons who've come to earth to go to high school like Gabriel. Vignette is a very proper and responsible demon who tries to keep angel Gabriel's life in order. Satanichia is the wicked demon who does evil and vicious things like throw water bottle sin the recycle without removing the cap and not doing her homework...deliberately. There is also Raphiel, an angel who loves to mess with people dumber then her, taking pleasure in the hilarity she creates. Basically we have a slice of life about angels that act like demons and vise versa, all framed in a high school setting with moe girls!

This was an excellent first episode that far exceeded my expectations. The comedy was on point and it went scene to scene with different jokes and situations. We begin with Gabriel graduating angel school and coming to earth, being an amazing person until she is soiled by video games. She is a funny character, finding her true calling in life is to be a lazy slob. Satanichia is a nut case, she thinks she's being evil when Gabriel does far worse without even trying. She's a dope and is manipulated by Raphiel when she engages in combat against...a dog. The characters are really amusing here, right away their wacky personalities are set-up through different interactions. They have extreme reactions, Gabriel freaks out when she finds the game, people are dying so SHE MUST buy the staff. Vignette gets worked up when Gabriel suggests she isn't demon like so she feels it appropriate to blow up her apartment just to kill a roach.

This episode was legitmently funny. I don't often actually laugh at shows like this. Often it's just fun more then anything but there where a lot of good jokes here. By creating these silly personalities under the frame of upholding angel and demon images we have endlessly comedic potential. Gabriel's whole vibe completely flips when she finds the game. The characters all have something that sets them off, even the cool headed Raphiel is the kind of over the top pleasure seeking dom who gets into gay mode quite fast. Everyone is a nut.

There are good set-ups and for once a show like this doesn't take place in an all girl's school. There are luckily no main dudes in the show to kill the vibe but there was a funny bit where Gabriel tries to teleport to school but ends up beaming her panties over, causing the guys to calmly start praying to them. The teacher is like Yasushi from Nana. The episode moves from bit to bit and in a way I feel like it's trying to be like Nichijou but it doesn't get anywhere close to that level of wackiness. It's all framed in that moe style, but not in an annoying or over bearing manner. It's just good fun.

The art style is so-so for this show. I like some designs like Satanichia and Vignette. It's not the cutest and the show is not half as good looking as Doga Kobo's offering last year like Sansha Sanyou and New Game but it's still a solid production. Voice acting is pretty good, as normal some of the cast are relative rookies like Miyu Tomita as Gabriel. Veteran KanaHana plays Raphiel and Vignette's seiyuu Saori Oonishi has been picking up some great roles. The song at the end (which is likely the OP?) is awesome, great production as it balances the angel and demon vibes with reverb heavy vocals and random bits of rock.

Overall the first episode of Gabriel DropOut was great. I have a good feeling about this show, it might be the best cute girls slice of life of the season as it has a funny set-up with crazy characters and solid comedy. This was an actually funny episode and I like the main 4 already! I like the segment by segment humor, making for quick pacing with lots of jokes. Let's see where this one goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_imyXLkoIA

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
No ignore what I put before.

Little Witch Academia has an amazing first episode, beyond anything this season. It's on such a level of joy and absolute wonder that I can't type a review for it. The animaiton is not as good as the movie duh but to say such a thing is to ignore the absolute amount of movement on screen. These are well designed characters fit for this kind of fast action motion and it's animated in an amazing way. The story is a simplistic kind of normal girl is like an outcast but will become the hero type thing but that's fine. This is such a production it's quite shocking actually.

The directing was great and this episode was a fantastic introduction. If the show keeps it up it could be the best anime of 2017. No it won't Full Metal Panic 4 ba-by. But Little Witch Academia can be something really amazing, the likes of which rarely comes around. and it's all because of Trigger. I just know that no other first episode will reach this level of production this season. It can trainwreck or suddenly melt down so I will reserve extreme comments and say this is something. It's sure something.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:50:05 AM by Manimal »

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
I'm 4 minutes and 8 seconds into the first episode of Hand Shakers, and can't seem to stop vomiting blood uncontrollably. Is this normal for everyone else? Why is the CG so bad? Why can't the framerate stay consistent, even in the same shot? None of the hand drawn animation tracks with the backgrounds or crummy CG. They just keep quaking in place while the camera pans around, and the camera KEEPS MOVING. At least the weird, robotic movements of these characters are matched by their total lack of human personality. And the weird pastel shading on the artwork just drags this crappy show even farther into the uncanny valley. Nothing looks natural, and neither the plot nor the action are interesting enough to make up for that. Any time the show tries to show motion, my eyes start to bleed, and my brain has another miniature stroke. Why are the Magic weapons called nimrods?

This show was made by an angry robot that can only unleash its hatred towards mankind through anime rendered on a PS1.

Everything bad that happens in 2017 can now be blamed on this show, and Vacant for making me watch it.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
"Ai-Mai-Mi Surgical Friends" is about 3 minutes long, and answers the question "What if Teekyu wasn't funny, but still thought it was?"

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
Ah screw it, I'm just going to go lazy mode now. I'm getting sick of typing these reviews, especially when there is little to say. I've come to dread doing it actually. You can tell by how fun my Akiba's Trip review is, then it goes downhill form there. I'm just going to stop making myself do this when I don't want to and only do it for what I feel like.

The first episode of Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon was pretty good. It's the story of an office lady who gets madly drunk and casually stumbles across a dragon. Now that dragon returns to her apartment and transforms into a cute busty maid who is determined to serve Kobayashi. It's a cool dynamic for a monster girl show, Kobayashi is a great lead as well. There are an increasing amount of these adult leads, and it's good to see here. There is a good dynamic and Tooru is quite fun. Yuri subtext, which is always a good thing and a nice simpler artstyle. It's been a while since Kyoto Ani made a show like this, it looks quite nice. This was a good ep!

Also Nair good to see you realize the brilliance of AOTY Hand Shakers.

Konosuba 2, the first episode is predictably the best of the season so far and it will likely be the best show overall. Little Witch Academia seems stunning as a production but Konosuba 2 is looking to be even more greatness.

One Room is the kind of show you watch if you're a loser. I will be watching more. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:58:30 PM by Manimal »