September 20, 2017, 05:52:34 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chit Chat 2017  (Read 25274 times)

Online 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat 2017
« Reply #1260 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:12 PM »
Shkreli gets 12 visits.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 12, 2017, 11:19:53 PM »
Who's gonna start the crowdfunding Campaign so Manimal can meet a member of Kiss? I wanna see that jam session.

"I Dream of Gene-ie"

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 13, 2017, 05:46:49 AM »
Shkreli would, fricking guy.

Also Nair, we have to set it up somewhere in America so you or Coryn are hosting the event. We can easily raise 50K, it's such a great cause. What should that money go to? Hurricane relief? Sick children? No, the Gene Simmons Barry Goldman jam event 2018. They will play Strutter, Sure Know Something, God Of Thunder and if all hope is all hope, White Bread and Grandma's Vacation To Cuba. Kickstarter now open.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 13, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Alright, fine. I get the sarcasm and why the money should have better applications, but that's not fun for wishful thinking. I'm never gonna hear the Gene Simmons version of the Bop-Bop without a little help.

OH! And since you've talked about Carly Rae Jepsen before, you might appreciate this video, as well as the enormous (150-ish page) document about the theory behind every one of her songs. Seems like the kind of thing up your alley, maybe? I just like Max Landis, so I'm already reading this Far-too-long document as it is.

https://youtu.be/jCFh0lJ-WAg
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:19:49 PM by Nairbons »

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
I saw some article comparing CRJ to Mozart which I thought was a bit weird. Like, you can claim that CRJ's songs are complex without comparing her to Mozart who was playing with a completely different set of standards and expectations. Like, unless she's subverting Sonata Allegro form (and, even then, Beethoven would be the far more apt comparison), it's kind of a labored comparison. But that's poptimist journalism, I guess. When your arguing for the legitimacy of a form long dismissed as unintelligent, invoking the name of Mozart as a stamp of validity makes some kind of sense, I guess, if you're desperate and aren't really familiar with his music.

Anyway, I believe it was some journalist's take on that essay, which I'd be interested to read.  I'm especially interested to see if the author makes that comparison as well, to see if they substantiate it with a bit more evidence.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:48:28 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
Peeps making memes out of Carly Rae's greatness. I'm more amused at this weird following around Carly Rae, which stems from how actually awesome Emotion was, how she's actually a nice person and how radio ignores her. She's kind of becoming one of the most positive memes I've seen, in real life people will still be like "wait what?" when I mention her. Two times I've been talking to people who thought I was joking when I mentioned Carly Rae in my favorite artists. It's a weird fanbase she's built, but atleast people are realizing the greatness.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:11:36 PM by Manimal »

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 15, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
It's telling that the lead singer of a band called Cannabis Corpse wanted to stop talking about weed before this Vice journalist did. Oh, Vice:
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/a33bxp/weed-obsessed-death-metallers-cannabis-corpse-return-with-left-hand-pass

(also, weed-themed 90s death metal puns abound)

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 16, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »
Yeah, honestly, that CRJ thesis... could have been trimmed to about 5-10 pages without the Crazy-Steve-on-ecstasy tone. Shouldn't take 150 pages with caps lock on to say that most Carly Rae songs deal with romantic longing.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 17, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »
Anyone can figure that out with Carly Rae really.

Anyway the universe broke today. I was hanging with my friends and one of them put a piece of cake in a cup with ice cream. When I turned and saw a piece of cake in a cup I was dead. Like my mind broke so hard that it was too much to handle. Then someone said "what you've never seen a cupcake before" and I was KOed for atleast 5 minutes.

Sometimes it's those dumb little things.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:50:37 PM by Manimal »