March 28, 2024, 03:59:01 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How to draw landscapes/cities?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
How to draw landscapes/cities?
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Basically my question is what should be added and how should it be drawn in a panel, I usually just don't draw them or simply when zero character appears, can anyone help me out?

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
Re: How to draw landscapes/cities?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
its something pretty prsonnal you can do as you wish but keep in mind that your first background and landscape wont be great but it is by drawing it that the experience will come and then you will end up to find your way

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
RRP (Ruler, Reference, Perspective setting if digital) and like Dany said, it is a growing skill, best to practice

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Yeah, I guess I should , after all I'm sure I can probably pull some drawing off even tho I haven't tried landscapes for ages! anyway thanks for the help mates!

I really appreciate it!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
A lot of city backgrounds are basically traced. You can find plenty of instances of backgrounds in Manga and the exact shots they were taken from. It's not really a question of skill either. It's just about what looks good quickly, and the fact that it's a whole different skill set to draw landscapes

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
First off this can't be ignored. Your use of reaction faces is 10/10, I've never seen someone use those so perfectly on a forum which doesn't contain emojis like that.

Anyway on topic with backgrounds it depends on you and what you want to do. Me personally I like backgrounds, I like to draw backgrounds and have detailed scenes, but when you burn through a manga sometimes things like that don't matter and the basic elements that help set the scene are enough. Certainly a lack of backgrounds is annoying, but you don't always have to load the panels. It irks me in manga when characters are drawn with white around them or objects are cut out so you can see there faces clearer, I like a move realistic look myself but it's all about personal style.

Non Non Biyori for instance works so well because it has detailed backgrounds which look amazing and make you read it slower to take it all in, which is central to the easy going theme of the series. It just depends on what you're going for really.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
(Thousandth post. Life goal attained: gg, you're a f---ing nerd.)

My only advice here is to start drawing your room for practice, as odd as it sounds. Try drawing from various angles, standing on top of things, and getting a feel. Then start taking pictures, just on your phone or something, around your neighborhood of interesting places, and then draw them. Doing so helps you develop a sense of depth, and in doing so, you can start to understand how to make a two dimensional page feel three dimensional, and I think that's really what you're looking for in those long shots to sit there and be pretty.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Miska

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:25:57 AM »
Since you already got good advices for how to draw backgrounds, i'm not going to add anything to that.
But as for when to draw them and when it's fine to leave them out -- Basically, everytime scene/place changes, you might want to draw some kind of background to give an idea of characters' surroundings to the reader. Drawing a panel containing only background when scene changes is a technique you often see used. On the other hand, on more emotional/dramatic scenes, leaving the background white will add to the "dramatic"-factor.
I guess the best tip i can give is to read manga you like and pay attention to when mangaka has drawn the backgrounds and when those were left out.
I personally find it distracting if too many panels have detailed backgrounds, since it's drawing attention away from the characters.

Offline CaptUsopp

• The horizon on the other side.. is what I aim for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
MahluaandMilk advice on drawing your room is really good. I actually read that somewhere else and started to do it myself. It has helped me a lot, but practice is the biggest key.

Offline Grimmjagger

• Maggot
  • I am the negative one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
First off this can't be ignored, your use of reaction faces is 10/10, I've never seen someone use those so perfectly on a forum which doesn't contain emojis like that.

Thanks a lot!
I try to get those accurately as possible, altho I don't use them due to me being lazy...(Back on topic and hopefully wasn't too late to thank you Manimal!)

[size=78%]
Anyway on topic with backgrounds it depends on you and what you want to do. Me personally I like backgrounds, I like to draw backgrounds and have detailed scenes, but when you burn through a manga sometimes things like that don't matter and the basic elements that help set the scene are enough. Certainly a lack of backgrounds is annoying, but you don't always have to load the panels. It irks me in manga when characters are drawn with white around them or objects are cut out so you can see there faces clearer, I like a move realistic look myself but it's all about personal style. [/size]
[size=78%]

Yeah, I did try to do some and hopefully people can help me know what's wrong and not, [/size]
but like you said a lack of background is a bit annoying and isn't really much of my style either, with this being said my drawings are a bit "overloaded", which might be a problem...

(Thousandth post. Life goal attained: gg, you're a f---ing nerd.)

My only advice here is to start drawing your room for practice, as odd as it sounds. Try drawing from various angles, standing on top of things, and getting a feel. Then start taking pictures, just on your phone or something, around your neighborhood of interesting places, and then draw them. Doing so helps you develop a sense of depth, and in doing so, you can start to understand how to make a two dimensional page feel three dimensional, and I think that's really what you're looking for in those long shots to sit there and be pretty.
[size=78%]

That is a very good advice! [/size]
I'll try doing so, it might just be what I need! Thanks!
[size=78%]
Since you already got good advices for how to draw backgrounds, i'm not going to add anything to that.
But as for when to draw them and when it's fine to leave them out -- Basically, everytime scene/place changes, you might want to draw some kind of background to give an idea of characters' surroundings to the reader. Drawing a panel containing only background when scene changes is a technique you often see used. On the other hand, on more emotional/dramatic scenes, leaving the background white will add to the "dramatic"-factor.
I guess the best tip i can give is to read manga you like and pay attention to when mangaka has drawn the backgrounds and when those were left out.
I personally find it distracting if too many panels have detailed backgrounds, since it's drawing attention away from the characters.

[/size]
[size=78%]

Nice one!
I also wanted to have a tip or two on this too! even tho I may struggle with how to choose a pose, what pose and which angle should my characters or background be.

Thanks for your advice!

-------------

Anyway, I will try some things you guys suggested and hopefully get proud enough to post my drawings out, I thank you guys again!

Finally was able to read your suggestions!, hopping you guys aren't mad for the past unresponded posts.

...Oh and salute people
![/size]

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 05:08:36 AM »
I suggest taking a few minutes and watching a couple videos on 1 and 2 point perspectives.  Once you learn that then you can draw most buildings pretty easily once you get the perspective points down.  Of course there are more perspectives that you can learn but for about 80% of the time 1 or 2 point perspective is used, 19% of the time 3 point perspective is used and about 1% of the time you'll see 3-5 point perspectives.