July 17, 2019, 06:39:05 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Paper Help  (Read 4708 times)

Offline star_keeper

• View Profile
Paper Help
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
I'm having a hard time choosing a good paper to do manga illustrations with like copic markers and prismacolor pencils. I dont wanna use marker paper because I've tried that and I didnt enjoy using it, but I want my colors to go to their full potential. Lately I've been using just regular copy paper and I want to know what kind of paper would be good to draw with?

Offline Tim Wellman

• Comic Artist
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
This is what I use, in the 11x17" size
http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=20911006&cm_mmc=GBase-_-Office_Supplies-_-Paper-_-Laser_Paper&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=20911006

It's a little thin, but takes all mediums well (even quill pen inking) and erases well. And it's dirt cheap for the 500 sheet packs. I go through a couple packs a year. All the stories I've had published the last couple of years have been drawn on this.

You can always go for the best, Strathmore 400 Smooth bristol, but at 2 dollars a sheet... I don't know, it tends to make you too careful when drawing, afraid you're going to ruin an expensive sheet of paper.

Just get you a 500 pack of the above paper and go crazy.

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I have the same paper Tim mentioned and it works great with the inks that I use for handwriting and drawing. I would recommend it as well for projects requiring more detail. Other than that, legal sized printing paper works just as well.
I'm back~~~

Offline star_keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Well thank you! and i was wondering what kind of paper would be good to do watercolor on. Because I really want to start doing that medium.

Offline Tim Wellman

• Comic Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
You'll have to go with a real watercolor paper. I had one class in watercolors in college... you need to go with a decent 240 pound or heavier paper, and learn to water-size the paper (basically involves soaking the paper in water, then tacking it to a flat board to dry, before you start painting). Most good watercolor paper is French, and very expensive.

The cheap way around it, and I've used this for a couple of published pinups, is to buy a sheet of that foam board that has paper on both sides. Not sure what it's called, but it's white foam, about .25 inch thick, with paper on both sides. It is horrible for scrubbing, but if you're careful, it takes watercolor good enough without warping for comic style art.

you *can* use almost any bristol board if you want to work wet-on-wet... just soak the board, then stick it on your kitchen table, and start painting, and finish before it starts drying. Once dry (use a hair blower), you can go over it with a liner brush to add details.

Offline AnimeDoodler

• Life's a pencil and someone is chewing my eraser..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 12:52:24 AM »
Tim Sensai everybody, master of all things from trees!

Offline Tim Wellman

• Comic Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »
Don't confuse wisdom for age... I've just lived long enough to learn a little bit about almost everything :-)

Offline AnimeDoodler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 12:58:59 AM »
lol

Offline Fallen Kite

• Fallen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
I'm just using normal paper :confused:
Work in progress: Everything.
Alternative title: Nothing.

Offline AnimeDoodler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:19:13 AM »
THERE IS NO SUCH THING :DDDDD

Offline sugarkid

• Less baww, more draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
Try Derwent 100gsm (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derwent-Hard-Sketch-110gsm-sheets/sim/B000TMB9OK/2). I work with it, and it's godly. It's moderately good for everything, from watercolours to tempera and markers.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
hey sugar i wouldnt bother posting here. the person who made it hasnt been here for over a year. look at topic dates before posting in them to see if there is still reason to post.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF