April 17, 2024, 11:14:32 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: [Article] How to draw from imagination  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Miska

• View Profile
[Article] How to draw from imagination
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »
I found interesting article few days ago, and thought that i could share it here in case someone else finds it helpful. It's called "Why Is It So Hard to Draw From Imagination? Here's How to Do It!" and it's written by Polish artist Monika Zagrobelna.
You can find the article here: https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/why-is-it-so-hard-to-draw-from-imagination-heres-how-to-do-it--cms-22967

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: [Article] How to draw from imagination
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
fantastic that actually helped. the author has a range of tutorials that are pretty decent as well.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Miska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Good to hear! I also found it extremely helpful. I haven't checked out her other articles and tutorials yet, but i will for sure  :D The perspective article/tutorial mentioned seems helpful, but i've only read the (long) introduction part of it.

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Very good article :) Can't say it actually helped me as I've been studying anatomics and such for quite a few years now, but I can tell she's right. I even fight single enemies like "I can't draw feet". My new big enemies are environments and backgrounds. God I hate that stuff x_x
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline Miska

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
@Gabryel I've been studying anatomy (and everything else, too) for years as well, but i'm still struggling to draw from imagination. I knew it wasn't really an issue with drawing skills since i can draw pencil hyperrealism and pretty much anything if i have a reference, but i can't put my own ideas and thoughts into drawings. That's why i found her way of breaking objects into simple shapes extremely useful, since it makes it way easier to memorize how to draw things :)

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:18:51 AM »
Oh yeah the breaking down to simple forms was the first thing my father taught me. I always thought it's basic, but learned that it isn't afterwards lol

There are btw pose figures in Japan (I believe one is called body-kun and body-chan) for Manga artist. Using a figurine like that does help too imho as you always see the parts instead of the bent body for example. Unfortunately they have restrictions that make them unattractive to me (like knee goes up only to 90 degrees), but especially for understanding body parts that might be very useful.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »
I'm definitely going to get my hands on one at a point. Or even go cheap and just buy a flexible figurine haha.

drawabox.com is a gold mine when it comes to breaking down things. But I've found I'd like to lean towards a more ridiculous cartoonish style as done by Oda. I know he understands more than you'd think from his art, but I want to be able to make any sort of character rather than fitting to the common mould

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
i want a figurine, but i totally dont want to spend money on one :P

I want to be able to make any sort of character rather than fitting to the common mould
yeah i'm in a similar boat, my characters lean towards normal proportions, but i want to be more expressive and unique with the characters. i think drawing random shapes and making them into characters is one way to start :P

read the first chapter of this, its oddly related, sorta
http://mangafox.me/manga/new_normal_class_8/v01/c000/1.html
btw its a good read, im about 40 chapters in
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
That first chapter alone was a rollercoaster ride. Hilarious. And yet such good production quality. Need... To make... Webtoons