September 24, 2017, 09:54:06 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Don't Be Afraid of Excel!  (Read 623 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
Don't Be Afraid of Excel!
« on: July 23, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »
I just gave this advice to a writer somewhere on this forum a few moments ago, and I figured I'd drop it here. I read this tip in an article somewhere once for storywriters, and I suppose it could also work for artists, depending on what you're looking for.

Look, Excel isn't just for making pie charts and line graphs for classes. It can be used to make lists, all kinds of lists, any kind of list. You could make a grocery list with it if you want to, and even separate into food and cleaning products and other stuff in different columns. That's kinda the point: Excel is made to make lists and organize them.

Now, I, for one, am a huge list person. I make to-do lists, grocery lists, and I even use lists to plot out my story. As such, Excel can even be used as another way to write up scripts. One column for "speaker", one for "scenery," one for "action", and one for "dialogue", and then another for "expose" or whatever. You can combine different cells in each column (or row, depending how you want it set up) so like, if you're working a scene that takes place in one area, you can stretch the "scenery" column out to cover for the entire scene with only one elongated cell rather than a bunch of blank ones.

Now, you can even make character sheets with them. You can have like: character name, hair color, eye color, top, bottom, shoes, etc, and make lists of things like your specific hex-code color palette and/or any particularities about design, just to have a place to keep track. Alternatively, you can make it about the character from a writing standpoint, such as: name, description, goals/aspirations, abilities, job, age, personality, etc.

Here in a bit I may come back to this thread with screenshot tutorials, but for now, I will leave you with this little reminder:

Excel just wants to be your friend.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
Re: Don't Be Afraid of Excel!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
I was forced to use it while working on a research and programming course for an architecture project. It was very hard to use (especially anything to do with cells, be it columns or rows), but that's probably because I was rushing it. Plus, being forced to use something is different from truly wanting to use it.
I never thought about using it for writing scripts, but reading what you said, it actually sounds very plausible.
I'm interested in any tutorials you might end up posting. 

Offline Philosotaku

• MR's One and Only Resident Philosopher
  • Thought is but a means to action.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
I love Excel. Personally I do a lot of work with superpowers so I've made a system for ranking a character's power level and use Excel to keep track of all of my characters and how powerful they are. It really helps to give you a basic idea of who is going to win if you know that one is more skilled with their powers or more intelligent (all other areas relatively equal) or that their power is just better or even if their gear makes a significant difference in the fight. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't organize all of that in a standard format. lol

Everyone is the hero of their own life. But I'm the only main character in the world.
--
I officially takes commissions for story development. Here's my DA for info: http://philosotaku.deviantart.com/journal/Story-Development-Commissions-631535894

Offline Jinjer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
it becomes super useful once you learn how to work those formulas

Offline HikarumiSetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip - I'll probably use it for character design and art and all that! I mean, I always lose files and links to where I put my things to.. It'd be nice to finally have everything sorted nicely.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. Actually, pretty soon I'm going to be working on my script for the YouTube cosplay show I'm in (since I'm the head scriptwriter...kinda my thing), so although I prefer to write everything out by hand, for you guys, I'll try doing it on Excel with many screenshots and commentary through the process.
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.