April 18, 2024, 11:00:06 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: How to get newbies to read the stickies  (Read 2937 times)

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
How to get newbies to read the stickies
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:56:25 AM »
Ok so we all know new people to the forum don't really read the sticky posts at all (or they wouldn't be posting emails, asking a bunch of artists to draw for free, etc).  Well have you ever gone to YouTube and found a title that was interesting and clicked on it (or for the thumbnail ;)).  Well what we need are click-bait titles.
Example: Read THIS before Asking for an Artist ! could be called "How to get an Artist as a Paid or Unpaid Request" or "Rules/How to get an Artist as a Paid or Unpaid Request" or even better "Writers hate him, find out he gets pro Artists to draw his stories for FREE" (ok the last one was just a joke).

Ok, this will make them click on the link but they might leave once they found it was a clickbait so what we need to do is emphasize on what they want to hear first.  Saying something like "These are the general rules for ALL members requesting an artist, for free requests please read this and the next section under the yellow letters"

I know, as always, this isn't a sure fire thing but you have to admit that having click bait titles is going to at least tempt them to click the link

Also the link What should NOT to post - reading this might save time yours and ours states rules 5 and 6 so you probably don't need that extra sticky there but you can emphasize those 2 rules a bit more with color (not like they can really post emails anymore).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:17:25 AM by Matsui Kenshin »

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: How to get newbies to read the stickies
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
I was thinking and I think we can be a bit more direct and just name the sticky "Must read this before posting on this board" or "Must read these rules before posting on this board."  That way it sounds a whole lot more mandatory

Online Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
I had been trying different titles in past but then gave it up because 90% of don't bother to reading these rules at all in their first attempt to make a topic at Request boards.

Only time they do that when they were told by either regular member or a mod. At least now it's bit better since we have been telling this in nearly every topic there.

Only way is get them to read the rule before post anything. I'm trying to find a solution for that. Till then it has to be done in hard way.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:16:40 AM »
Only way is get them to read the rule before post anything.
i was about to suggest this on reading the first post :P
well when you log on, every thing new appears as [new], so at least there is a way to tell if they have read a topic or not, its just plugging it all together :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:29:10 AM »
Well in the registration process you could ask a couple questions about the Terms of Service like "Where should you post first?" "Are emails allowed?" At least then they have to type the correct answer and know a couple things before randomly posting in the Artist Wanted Section.

Funny thing was that my very first post was a poll about SAO season 1 vs SAO 2 in the welcome center (at the time Gun Gale arc was just starting so I was pretty hyped for it).  I wanted to ask the new people on the forum about their opinions XD