April 16, 2024, 01:42:15 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writing different causes, outcomes and multiple endings/ etc.  (Read 4256 times)

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
While thinking up one of my story arcs of how it will end, I thought about having the arc being affected by many causes that changed the characters, their alignments (good, evil, netural) and the setting that led to many outcomes (peaceful, hopeless, post-apocalyptic) with time traveling involved (similar to Chrono Trigger) that'll led to many endings (good, bad, worst, bittersweet, unknown, true). The arc is the origin story, sets thousands of years ago in a fantasy land. The present timeline won't be affected nor does anything from the present will affect the past (with one exception who is a familiar character for the latter). What are your thoughts on the concept?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:09:54 AM by SwordHero16 »

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Writing different causes, outcomes and multiple endings.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:01:58 AM »
I always like the idea but I think it fits the best in a visual novel because the player makes the choices and can restart the game for a different outcome.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:15:43 AM »
It does fit more but I already have the concept considered for it. Choices and multiple paths will be heavily used in the origin story than the other arcs which are set in one line from beginning to end. I'll try to write down how it'll be best used and not be too repetitive and familiar.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:19:18 AM »
Well look at Re:Zero, he will say "I'm here again" or "Back to day 1..."  As long as your audience knows where the restart is then it is fine to write out the story

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:31:08 AM »
Alrighty. I yet to seen the anime but I did hear about it's restart concept. Forgot to mention that the timeline will be split into two, already thought of one which leds to the far future in a world almost devoid of life, more ahead than the present timeline which it was affected by a 'certian mischievous boy' who can time travel at will, featuring only a few characters from the beginning as well as some from the present (the main characters already passed away).

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:48:34 AM »
If you're looking at multiple routes, a good example of that would be Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. They execute the time loop so well that you don't even need to tell the audience that it's another route!  ;)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:59:19 AM »
Oh yes, that anime. Haven't finished watching it since years ago. Gotta watch it all over again. I have another topic to discuss and it's more serious and controversial. May I make another or just say it here?

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:25 AM »
By all means, talk about it here if the subject's about developing your own stories, although I personally would change the title to reflect people should give tips for my stories instead of just a general topic  :hmm:

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
Re: Writing different causes, outcomes and multiple endings and etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »
Alright. This is a widely controversial issue and I am aware of the potential backlash I may recieve. I already consider having religion being heavily involved for the second half of the first arc. Here is how I portray religion through my story.

Note; This is still in development, may change later on.

A new religion is gathering those who wanted their dreams to come true regardless of background and it is meant to bring true happiness through the power of beliefs as magic that can bring even illogical dreams a reality. Having gained members in the millions from around the world in such a short time through social media which led to even those who renounced their former respective religions, those who led the 'new' religion go as far as consider it to be the true religion that was lost in ancient times and them rediscovered it, calling others lies and flawed replacements which made them vowing to erase them from history. The leaders believe they were chosen by God to bring true happiness to the world and lead their followers to Paradise and be with God. Those who refused to join will have their dreams forcibly taking away, depriving them from ever knowing happiness again and deny them access to Paradise. Due to it's massive popularity and actual magic being involved, most wouldn't even have second thoughts of joining.

The theme behind it is deciding which path you'll take; a life of mostly suffering and little joy vs. a life of promised eternal happiness. Most people would take the latter as life is difficult for them through their own personal experiences and the hardships of adulthood. Every teenager would take the chance as they are still maturing, not having the sense of right and wrong yet fully understood.

This kind of deciding has the protagonist doubting himself much more as he is on the path to adulthood who still unable find a dream yet doesn't want to choose the 'easy' way as he made a promise to his parents as a child and later promised again to his teacher that he'll find a dream of his own and make it true through his own efforts.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:14:54 AM by SwordHero16 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writing different causes, outcomes and multiple endings/ etc.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 06:18:37 AM »
It's an interesting thought, but... do you have an idea what the premise of the story will be?  :hmm:

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 06:37:49 AM »
Yes. It's to teach that it is better to live a life of hardships than living eternally happy as the latter will led to an empty feeling that is unavoidable. There is nothing to gain from happiness that you don't make any effort into it besides having the rest of your long life stuck in boredom and choosing to disounce it will label you forever an outcast, unwanted by all as told in the story. There are some choices you can't reconsidered once you decided on them, leaving you regreting it and ruining your life. You have to put much thought into choices before acting, such as becoming a father which led to devoting time to be one to keep a family together in sacrifice of having more free time. What gives you happiness will be your guide to a brighter future that doesn't involve easy ways. The main cast wanted that to be always a part of their lives and for others for their own good, having found joy in going through their personal hardships as they are together to encourage each other to keep going. They oppose the new religion to prevent it from being a permanent way of life, not wanting the next generation to lose themselves for easy ways to gain what they want and later regreting it.

Update: The protagonist having found his true happiness later on that he can be content with for his whole life. Him devoted to make efforts to it to be reality, vowing to eliminate the religion from forcing him to making it easy and even considered the choice to kill God to truly bring an end to blind happiness.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:59:35 AM by SwordHero16 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »
That's more of a theme than a premise though...  :unsure:

What I speak of is, what will this story entail? Is it about a man who lost hope in the real world and thus tries to find solitude in this religion only to discover that it is nothing more than a farce built on people's woes? Is it about a religion that gains too much power and attempts to exterminate others that challenge it, therefore building a dystopian world in which people only know of the blessings of the afterlife?

I'm talking about that kind of premise. Every story has one, and if there isn't a solid foundation for which to build a story on, there's not much you can do about it  :-\ As they always say, you can't fix something that's flawed from the start.  :hmm: so be sure you have some premise to build the story on  ;)

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
Ah. I think I explained it in a different topic. The premise here is the protagonist expanding his search for a dream from his secluded homeland, Japan. He travels to America to find what he can be content with. Trying out many new things in the country of freedom and making new friends of diverse backgrounds at his new high school in his final year of youth that can help him decide on a future he is willing to achieve and feel the most happy with.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
Ah, that one  :o I suppose you can make that into a plausible arc for your character, how he tries to discover what it means to live in this world and learning life lessons along the way while encountering both the good and bad of the world  8) It's the execution that'll matter in the end...

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »
Will try my best. This is for the first half of the first arc which will extend to the second half. This is for those who couldn't achieve their dreams on their own out of various reasons such as money, unfair laws, strict traditions, bullying, low performance schools, segregation and the demands of society. During his search, the protagonist unites his new diverse friends to better understand and relate to each other's hardships to overcome the majority due to a new law recently passed that renders foreigners and minorities having limited rights compared to the natural-born Americans due to the demands of the majority who are tired of the many unresolved issues the country has which they blame on those not from the country and not wanting to follow their 'American' values.