March 29, 2024, 02:12:53 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Music  (Read 124710 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music
« Reply #510 on: March 12, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »
Thanks so much for listening and giving feedback! This is very helpful to me and I really appreciate that you gave your honest thoughts on everything! I thrive on this kind of feedback, I always want to know what people like and dislike about my music. 

The format of this album is messy for sure. I'm not a fan of albums will skits either. There are a lot of Rap songs for instance that open or end with skits and as you say it makes it hard to put on a playlist. Some things only work when listening to the whole record like how Janet Jackson links everything together with short interludes on Rhythm Nation (and all of them are separate tracks which as you noted would of been better had I done that for this album). 

A lot of the skits are inside jokes with my friends, like no one else will understand what "ancient yum yums" are or the context for the answering machine messages. A lot of the bits are things that made me die laughing in our Discord chats where I went "OH DO THAT AGAIN" and recorded. I wanted to make something that was self indulgent in a way and highly amusing to myself. So I let things get out of hand with all the skits to make this album have a unique character among my other ones.

My voice is my greatest issue. I certainly don't work within my vocal range most of the time. I struggled to sing the majority of these songs. I also mix the vocals low when I'm self conscious about my voice. It's funny that you mention "Gelgoog Tactics" because to me that was a filler song I didn't care about but you never know what other people will like!

Since I'm a low power vocalist I try to make up for it with personality and my guitars. When I make music I get to use all my reserve energy that I don't express day to day. People who don't know me very well have heard my music and didn't expect me to sing like I do or make the kind of songs I do. I make music the same way I made comics. My aim is to express my personality, especially my mundane amusements and inner energy. A lot of these songs are powered by pretty chaotic feelings like "Love Nectar" and "Run-Off". 

and yes the issue with collabs are varying mic qualities, and I mixed everyone's vocals differently. Some songs have reverb and others don't. On my my next project I want to make a very consistent mix for every song and improve the sound as much as I can. I don't focus on the sound as much as getting the song out in whatever form.

Again I really appreciate you taking the time to write this! This is very helpful to me  :D         
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:30:42 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #511 on: April 06, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
Hhhm? What kind of song have I made this time...

Rosie Posie
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamore/rosie-posie

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2021, 05:58:04 AM »
Ah yeah I figured some of those were in-jokes, I think that does make it harder for an "outsider" to get into it because obviously they dont get the jokes :P

It's funny that you mention "Gelgoog Tactics" because to me that was a filler song I didn't care about but you never know what other people will like!
It might be that you were less tense singing it because you didn't care too much for it, I know my art loosens up a lot when I don't care about what I'm working on. Sometimes when we want to do a good job, we focus so hard that we distract ourselves from actually being able to do good. paradoxical isn't it.

RE: Rosie Posie
I liked the extra voices parts, it added a lot of depth to the song.
also nice lyrics.

and a huge by the way,
I was playing around with some of my mum's reel to reel tapes of songs she had recorded and I swear I did a massive double take on one of the songs, I could have sworn it was you for like a whole minute, the voice, music, lyrics, song style, everything.
anyway here it is, maybe you know it or not :P

CACTUS WORLD NEWS - Worlds Apart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKYaX5jHEg

As an interesting point I notice the drums in your songs are always quite quiet compared to this song, I wonder if you made them louder it would help to give more depth to the music. just guessing here.
As a second to that your guitar is always louder (stands out), which explains why for ages I've been getting country song vibes from your pieces but I couldn't put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:03:18 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »
That's a good point about being less tense for carefree stuff. It's like sometimes the harder you try the more uptight the result is and it doesn't go over as well as if you just relaxed and did it naturally.

Haha, I haven't heard them before but I see what you mean. Bands like the Smiths and the Clash are some of my greatest influences and that song is in line with them. That was a pretty cool track actually, I was enjoying the groove and crazy guitars.

Since my guitars are the only thing about my music that I am fully confident about I want to make sure people hear them the most. But that might take away from the songs some times. I could be using a 3 mic set-up for my drums now, which would help make them more present. The kick is absolutely killed in the mix and I swear all you hear are the hi-hat and cymbals on most songs. When I think of songs I love often the drums are right out there driving it along so I think having them upfront more would help a lot so thanks for listening and pointing that out! 

Summer's come a bit early folks. Even though it just became Spring here.

Here is a new old song with Legomaestro. "I'll Have A Water" is something I made Summer 2017. I was always a bit ashamed to have used the famous cliche chord progression in it but overtime I have come to view it as one of my most fun songs. I wanted to make a new version singing it with Lego. Remaking a song that I recorded with absolutely no care in the world was challenging. I ended up overthinking what I did, but once I loosened up it was fun. The drums were the hardest part since I played something that takes a lot of energy for me to pull off.

I'll Have A Water (Feat. Legomaestro)
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamore/ill-have-a-water-2021-ver 

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #514 on: April 16, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
This is a track I am extremely happy with. Vocals, whatever. But the instrumental oh man! A lot of the arrangement is a series of mistakes that ended up working out. I randomly did some thing on the snare and that reshaped the song from my initial idea. This was a hard track to keep in time with the drums. Overall I am quite satisfied with this one. 

Overclocked
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamore/overclocked

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW EP)
« Reply #515 on: May 10, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Kanttila : Mundane World End (EP)

1. Mass Driver Railway (Feat. Legomaestro)
2. Deep Fry The Key
3. Overclocked
4. Rockin' Out At World's End (Feat. Cola)
5. Rosie Posie

All songs performed by Kanttila
Full Credits On Bandcamp

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/mundane-world-end-ep

A new EP with 5 songs. Two duet collabs with Legomaestro and Cola. This is my last "Gundam album cover" release and it captures a spell of boredom and a changing time. This is the EP to end the era of my music that began with Melancholy 2020 from last May. I can't say these are my best songs but it's what came to in a short time and I put it together as an EP.

I want to improve a lot of things, my singing always, but also my recording and mixing. I really want to make a Heavy Metal record next, as in the 70's and 80's type. I never know what I'm going to come up with though, so I'll just keep on seeing what I spit out.

"Mass Driver Railway" is a song based on Foreigner's "The Modern Day". Lego wrote his lyrics and captured the loose vibe of the music. We both wrote lyrics without knowing what the other was doing and came to the same sort of theme somehow. "Deep Fry The Key" is harmony practice. I didn't nail it and the melody is super basic so I went silly with the lyrics. "Overclocked" is about my most dull personality traits and it went in a better direction than my initial idea. I let my songs form when I'm recording them. I play the guitar track but then the drums decide everything. I rebuild from there.

"Rockin' Out At World's End" features Cola doing another fantastic vocal. We both wrote our own lyrics from the theme of a Rock band being the last survivors on Earth and just continuing to play because, why not. "Rosie Posie" is like a 60's style thing, but not really. I don't know if I nailed the vibe there but it's something.

Anyway that's Mundane World End! Let's see where things go now with my music.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW ALBUM)
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »
Kanttila : Garbage Day

1. Kaletta
2. Automobile Forest
3. Croatian Swim Team
4. Captain Chihiro
5. Mall Jail
6. Archeology
7. Saskatoon Cowgirl
8. Music Is Garbage
9. Your Nightly World 

All songs written/performed by Kanttila

Bandcamp Link
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/garbage-day

Soundcloud Link
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/sets/garbage-day

It's Garbage Day! My 22nd album. It's mostly inspired by two things. The Who and my summer job. Chaotic energy is the main theme here. I would say this album has my strongest drumming and lyrics yet. I focused on making solid tunes and instrumentals that work with the lyrics. 

I wanted a tenth song with Cola but the one we did make didn't fit with the other tracks. It says all it has to at 9 songs. There is a sort of new sound I'm trying to make for myself. When I got into the Who a few months ago my musical inspiration was recharged. Keith Moon has especially been an amazing inspiration and I tried to drum more loose and barely in control on certain songs here. There are more acoustics which I use more for a tone in the background than a lead instrument. I didn't slack on my guitar solos though. Thin Lizzy is the other band that started this new musical movement for me so I tried some double leads.

My previous album, From Dreams, was longer and sort of overblown with all the skits and stuff. So I really wanted to scale back and make a normal album here. My previous EP, Mundane World End, was a creative low point for me and it just sounded like I was sleeping. So thankfully the Who gave me the kick in the ass I needed.

"Your Nightly World" is the highlight and one of my best songs ever. "Mall Jail" is my favorite song here and one I am really proud of for all aspects. "Kaletta" is a new Kanttila classic also. This album might be a bit too short but I really had nothing more to add to it. "Music Is Garbage" may be the weird one here. It's inspired by all the terrible music that plays at the store I worked at this summer. Sometimes it made me so irrationally spiteful that it made me hate the entirety of music.

This album comes about a month short of the 5th anniversary of my first album Fricktionary! Wow how things have evolved since then. But anyway, it's Garbage Boy everyone!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:12:40 AM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 30, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Nice! I'll have to give it a listen this afternoon at work. I hope you didn't admonish the old country with track 3 there  >:(

Don't worry, after Real American Garbage it's not like I gotta a box to stand on.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 29, 2021, 09:37:12 PM »
I recorded two new cover songs. I might try another Cover EP, if it goes well. I did another Replacements song. I love the Tim album so "Waitress In The Sky" was the logical pick after doing "Kiss Me On The Bus" previously. I might try "Valentine" as well. Then I covered Thin Lizzy's cover of Bob Segar's "Rosalie" which is just a loose Rock 'n Roll tune.

Waitress In The Sky (The Replacements)
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/waitress-in-the-sky-cover-song

Rosalie (Thin Lizzy)   
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/rosalie-cover-song

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW EP)
« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
Kanttila : Trash Tuesday (EP)

1. Guts! (Feat. Cola)
2. I'll Have A Water (Feat. Legomaestro)
3. Extra Large Spite
4. Final Fusion
5. French Maid Conversion
6. McDonald's Field Trip (Feat. G3 Darnell)

Full Credits On Bandcamp

Bandcamp Link
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/trash-tuesday-ep

Soundcloud Link
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/sets/trash-tuesday-ep

Oh oh, Trash Tuesday! This is a six song EP with five outtakes from Garbage Day and one re-record of an older track. It has three guest spots including a guitar battle at the end of the EP. 

The songs really have nothing to do with each other, they didn't end up on the Garbage Day album because they didn't fit. So I figured I'd put them together on an EP to give a home to "Guts!", "McDonald's Field Trip" and the new version of "I'll Have A Water". I sort of ended up repeating what I did last summer this year. I started on a bit of a new style but I tried to hit the same beats to different results.

I really need to do something new to add some excitement back to my music. My days of pumping out album after album are over but I'm still recording and playing a lot. I've done a lot of the same things so I need to really throw myself some challenges with my music. We'll see where things go, for now this is the new set of songs.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music (NEW COMPILATION)
« Reply #520 on: December 21, 2021, 02:46:07 PM »
Kanttila : Best Of 2020-21

1. I'm Gone (Edit)
2. Midnight Lost Child
3. Kaletta
4. Cowboy Mythology
5. Bathing In The Morning
6. I'll Have A Water (Feat. Ahasuerus)
7. Oh! My Sky
8. Mystic Hour (Feat. Cola)   
9. Automobile Forest
10. Just Drank 12 Pepsis
11. Overclocked
12. Your Nightly World
13. Rockin' Out At World's End (Feat. Cola)
14. One Fine Day (Anaheim 1976)
15. Topeka, Kansas Corn Heist (Edit)

Full Credits On Bandcamp

Bandcamp Link
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/best-of-2020-21

Soundcloud Link
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/sets/untitled-playlist

The fifteen best songs I made in 2020 and 2021, thus ending another era of my music.

In this span I have became a lot better at singing and drumming. Doing "Mystic Hour" with Cola was a huge confidence booster and working on other songs with her has pushed me to sing better. My drumming has taken a central role ever since my Who craze began this year. Keith Moon's performances hit me right in the soul and I'll never drum the same. My lyrics have also gotten a lot better in this time.

This compilations has two of the greatest songs I've ever made. The first being "Mystic Hour" which I consider my third best song ever below "Magnus Bridge" and "Under The Skywalk". It's Cola's contributions that made the song work. She wrote lovely lyrics for it and sang so well on that and all of our collab songs. The second song I feel is one of my best is "Your Nightly World" which is something that was basically exorcised out of me.

I feel a lot of recording aspects of my music have improved overall, even if the songs are not as exciting as they were before. I've made less music in this time and my well of inspiration is not as deep as it was in my peak years of 2017 and 2018. But I am happy with the three albums I've made in 2020 and 2021.

I did make big steps towards trying to fuse my two favorite musical worlds Rock 'n Roll and J-Pop with "Days Of Fire" and "OVERDRiVE" which are not featured here. I made big steps towards my ideal Rock 'n Roll and Country mix with "Kaletta". I hope to continue both of these and add more new elements to my music. I want to push my drumming forward even more and focus on that even more than the guitars in my songs. "Automobile Forest" is a real different kind of song for me and "Bathing In The Morning" is one of my best Goof Rock tunes. 

"Topeka, Kansas Corn Heist" is a song I can't believe worked. Legomaestro and Cola both understood my dumb idea and wrote their own lyrics which fit in perfectly. That song is a great achievement for me in many ways. "I'll Have A Water" is a song I made in 201y but re-recorded this year with Legomaestro. Our voices blend together in an interesting way and I hope we get to make more songs together. 

I've been making music for 5 years now. I have improved a lot since then but there is still a lot to learn. We'll see where my music goes next year. For now here is a compilation to wrap up the 2020-21 era of my music. 

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 02:59:58 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 03, 2022, 08:16:39 AM »
Nice, it's always good to have a compilation and close off different eras, I've done similar with my art so I totally get the feeling.

I had a listen, quite a few I hadn't heard so here's my honest opinion as a non-audiophile.
(Let's see if my opinion varies on the ones I've heard before!!!)

1. I'm Gone (Edit)
Music was good, Voice is also very good and matches the music. Especially around 2:20 it almost sounded professional, like there was nothing out of place at all. I think having more vocal would have been good as it felt a bit too musical heavy, but that's my preference.

2. Midnight Lost Child
Using an echo is an interesting choice. Since I generally feel that your music lacks in layers, the echo helps to fill that out and make the piece feel more solid. The lyrics were a little hard to hear, perhaps because of the echo. But they were pretty nice lyrics. I started liking it the most around the halfway point, the instruments really came together well.

3. Kaletta
Voice was very good from the very beginning and stronger than normal, felt a lot more confident. Lyrics were a bit more random sounding to be honest. I didn't like the parts where the voices overlapped, they sounded a little out of tune with each other, otherwise it would have been alright I think. Music was pretty good and overall a fun and energetic piece to listen.

4. Cowboy Mythology
The voice overlapping parts worked well this time. I think the melody line was a tad repetitive, as well as the backing music, but it didn't detract too much. The music itself was a pleasant melody though.

5. Bathing In The Morning
Lyrics were pretty chaotic but mostly fitted the narrative of the story you were telling. Vocals felt a bit off tune in this one. Music was alright but felt a bit repetitive. I felt the jump to "7am" felt a little unnatural since you had said "6am" so much, almost felt like the song was gonna continue 8am 9am and so on but then it ended. If I were to rewrite this (not that I could mind you), it might have been nice to have a bit more of the routine actions (like you mentioned orange juice earlier, add some more things like that as the time passes)

6. I'll Have A Water (Feat. Ahasuerus)
Another chaotic lyric sounding one to be honest :P
Not too much to say as it's not quite my cup of tea.

7. Oh! My Sky
Lyrics were pretty nice on this one, especially the quick rhyme parts, which is something I like in songs a lot. I liked the softer instrumental feel as the vocals matched the strength of the music and it felt better balanced than some of your pieces where I can't hear the lyrics too clearly. Vocals also sounded a little less sandy than other pieces and had a bit of a stronger melody to it.

8. Mystic Hour (Feat. Cola)   
A nice duet with nice solo parts as well. The music was much softer than your normal pieces which was nice in its own right. Nice lyrics too. Didn't get the cowbell sound (?) at 2:32 tho, sounded out of place.

9. Automobile Forest
Vocals sounded a little wobbly especially at the beginning, but still was close to one of your better control of voice, like you were wobbling between alright and good, when you on average sound just "alright". Apart from the bizzare theme the lyrics were actually pretty good. A bunch of nice re-singable in the shower phrases in there. Music was good, drumming sounded better than usual in this one I think.

10. Just Drank 12 Pepsis
A good use of the can popping open at the beginning, but I think it was drowned out a little by the music, might have been good to have the sound play either on it's own or just with a quieter backing music. Again apart from the randomness the lyrics were pretty fun actually. The vocals were strong and clear in this one. I heard "7", but it might have been nice to hear a couple of other numbers as the song goes on (building up the strength of the song in a crescendo as well), like you're drinking them during the song :P

11. Overclocked
The vocals were pretty strong but felt a little quiet compared to the music (during the quieter music parts the vocals were very good). Good lyrics as well. I liked the repetition parts at 2:02, was strong vocals and also the stronger beat was engaging. Very sing-along-able. The last 1/3 felt a little repetitive in melody though. I think the trailing note could have gone higher in tone as it faded out, it somehow felt very wobbly as it was.

12. Your Nightly World
Vocals were slipping between good notes and "speaking in tune", but almost sounded really good. Where you held the notes at 0:50 and 1:49, as well as the entire line at 1:43 were much more in tune and sounded good. Lyrics were good. Also very good instrumental sections. I felt the song could have ended at 3:33 though with the winding down and the air blowing sound it really felt like the end of the song.

13. Rockin' Out At World's End (Feat. Cola)
Although you have a tendency to speak in tune (more of a grainy voice than clear notes), the voice sound really suited this piece I think. Nice duet parts, the voices worked together well. The lyrics were nice too. A tad repetitive beat I think, but nice guitar parts here and there.

14. One Fine Day (Anaheim 1976)
The voice overlap worked really well in this song. Voice also really suited this style of piece. Liked the backing music especially the guitar which sounded quite distinct from the the other instruments. Very sad this was a short song because I was really getting into it and then it ended :P

15. Topeka, Kansas Corn Heist (Edit)
I remember this was a totally fun mucking about song so not too serious a review on this one. I somehow imagined all three singers in a mostly broken down car puttering along and singing as they go along and plan this heist. Found myself laughing at the ridiculous lyrics when everyone saying saying "I want the corn!" Music was upbeat and fun. Lyrics were good and humorous.

I think I can definitely agree these are some of your best. I might have chosen a few different ones based on my own tastes, but that was most definitely a SOLID album, very well done.

I also get the feeling on general the pieces you picked were the ones where your voice was more in tune as there were a lot less parts where I felt "oops that was a bit off", so a lot less to critique overall. I sort of get the feel that you could lean towards a Michael Buble style as every now and then I felt similar vibes from your voice. But the music style is completely different for sure. I don't know many artists so I can't make a better comparison.

Regarding inspiration and gaining skill, I have a generally unusual take on this that might help, might not.
Basically rather than waiting for inspiration to strike, I continuously work with random themes or copycat themes. So either taking an existing piece that I like and rewriting it in my style, or using a bunch of random words to give a new idea for a theme. The main target of this is to get an insane amount of practice and experience without too much pressure to do your absolute best (because you're not invested in the idea), and also get experience outside of your comfort zone.
This means that when you have an idea you really like, you have much more experience to tackle the piece and put some skill into it. My art is just starting to show results from this method as I'm now able to take my favourite ideas that I originally saved, and make them massively better than I ever thought possible. So I assume it's applicable with other skills. In other words, focusing on gaining skill rather than just "producing pieces". The more individual skills you can identify and work on separately (such as choice of lyrics, voice quality, melody, instrumental parts), the better you can gain skills in them.

But indeed you've made some great pieces over the years, keep it up for 2022!
Looking forward to hearing more.

EDIT wow I typed a lot lol
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 12:46:11 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 03, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »
It's only fitting you wrap up with the corn heist, lol. It was definitely a good couple years of your music. 2022 should bring good things!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 03, 2022, 08:16:29 PM »
Suuper, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and type this out! I really appreciate the critiques and take them to heart. I really value this sort of feedback, especially on my singing.

The cowbell like sound you heard on "Mystic Hour" was me banging a metal water bottle. I always thought it had a sound like the clang in the chorus of "Dango Daikazoku" so I wanted to give it a go. Michael Buble style, that's interesting. Haha, I can't say I've really listened to his music before but I gotta see what you mean by that now. 

I also appreciate the advice you left about inspiration, it makes a lot of sense! This year I am changing things up. I just got new mics and a interface that'll let me record my drums with two mics. I've upgraded my drums a bit also.

I just got a MIDI keyboard to add synth parts to my music. I have NO IDEA how to play keyboard, but I want to figure it out as I go. I have a playlist of songs I want to copy so I will have to try your method and see how it works. I have always wanted to have keyboards in my music, but they will require me to make more musical stuff. I have no interest in learning musical theory but I do need to approach songwriting in a different way and level up my skills if I want to keep making personal invitations. 

I NEED to make a song like this. It's my absolute goal to make something even 2% as good as that this year. It often drives me insane how such simple good songs are so difficult to make. I really want to use keyboards the way Pete did, I love the mix of keyboards with real instruments. 

But ya, thanks again for the comments!

Coryn, yes the Corn Heist is the only correct way to end a comp like this!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2022, 01:17:09 PM »
The sound of the water bottle wasn't the issue, it sounded ok as a sound, but more it's placement seemed like a random sound insert, is what I meant. Since it doesn't appear more than once, or at least I didn't notice it anywhere else.

Ahaaaaa a MIDI keyboard, I always wondered about getting one of those...well actually I have a fullsize digital keyboard with a MIDI socket so I assume that would potentially do the job. I would probably go that route personally but I actually can play the piano to a vague level so that helps. I think it will be very useful to you for adding other instruments and stuff.

The song you linked to definitely sounds close to what you could achieve, definitely. Go for it!