May 23, 2019, 07:31:27 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Music  (Read 32518 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
Ah, the vocal echo on Santa Christ is a little awkward to hear, but eeyup, it is that time of year.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
  • Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
Ya that's a failure to double track. That was like one of the first songs I doubled the vocals so it didn't work well. Now I double almost every song I do, if not every chorus or big part. I should've just re-recorded the song since I'm naturally better than I was last year but, I didn't feel like it. 

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
Fair enough. First tries aren't meant to be masterpieces, after all. :santa:

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (BEST OF 2018 COMP)
« Reply #453 on: December 04, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
Kanttila : Best Of 2018

1. Country Club
2. The Tragedy Of Mr. Steak
3. America Runs On Lies
4. Natural Order 
5. A New York Morning
6. I Don't Know Love
7. Nuevo Dia
8. Under The Skywalk
9. The Crow's Feather
10. Zero Singing Doves
11. Gloved Hello
12. Late 2000's Planet   

All songs written & performed by the Manimal

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/best-of-2018

5 albums, 2 EP's, about 70 songs, that is my 2018. This is the compilation and quite a good look at what I can do in music and where I took things this year. Away from the silliness and stupid antics of 2017 and into a slightly more tune focused direct that is...a little more solid. It's the year I said no more Barry Goldman, because it's Kanttila time! I finally found the right musical name that I feel super comfortable with. Skywalk was the big end to Barry Goldman and Midnight Stella. 

Ghosts Of Kaministiquia was really just a getting back to it after Barry Goldman's World Tour album. It was part FAWM and some odds and ends from the right end of December and January. I mixed things a bit different from here on, and it was rough at first. This is not a great album but it's just a little bump in the road. Skywalk is my biggest album, maybe more than Magnus Bridge. It really feels complete and is like I said the send off to this music world I made before. It is my most creative and most album-y album and I am very proud of it. I did some new things and overall it's something I can stand behind as a personal great work. It might be my best album.

The EP's, Piirakka Enlightenment and Kanttila Bay are also solid but I kind of wish they where full albums. I had a lot of inspirations, The Smiths powered me this year along with BAND-MAID. I listened to my Smiths mixtapes in the car an insane amount so it rubbed off and I did FINALLY, good Jangle songs! I had waited so long to make good Jangle songs and I finally did it. Kanttila Bay was more wacky but it kind of worked.

Now Post America, I can talk about the Kansas trip forever because it's one of the most important weeks of my life so far and thanks to Coryn, Nair and Vacant I had the most...just...frick. Frick man it just frick. I can go on forever about how much it means to me that this even happened and I actually did something in my life and wrote my own story and escaped the confines of my world I've been trapped in. There is my life Pre and Post Kansas, it unearthed so much in me and really I got so much out of it. So Post America is the turning point in my music where it's more song to song based and I think aside from "Last Chance Heroes" it's a good work. The Natural Order is a bump in the road but it has some decent songs just no good idea.

My Nonsense is my most consistent album because I stuck to one solid idea, and "Zero Singing Doves" is a song I AM SO proud of. If there is one song I want people to hear that I made this year it's that song. It's really a complete track that I stand behind fully. I can say, I made the music that represents my feeling very honestly. Everything I made this year is just me. I made the music to document the times of my life at this point, as is the goal of my music. To make the sounds of me.

I was going to make a post ranting about how I'll never form a band and I need to be better, but I can say I am very happy with where my music has gone. It's not great, I still am no good singer but I feel my other abilities have gotten a little better. I want to be more musical and really make something that feels more like Seiko's music. I want to make music that is more than what I do but still my music. I feel like The Clash's Give 'Em Enough Rope was a very motivational album for me this year and my style because it's just so awesome, along with the Smiths and BAND-MAID that is about all that inspired me this year, aside from my great return to my homebase of music in October. But I lack what makes those bands good. I need to make my magic "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" song or "Decided By Myself", "All The Young Punks" etc.

I want to form a band and play with humans but, I've not allowed it to happen. I posted an ad on Kijiji after watching the best anime of forever and the only one of 2 shows I watched this year A Place Further Than The Universe, but everyone is kinda lame. I posted it 3 times and the people who reply just don't seem like they get me. They read certain bands while ignoring you know the important ones like Seiko, The Smiths, BAND-MAID, BiSH and such. Because I don't want to be in a partying Classic Rock cover band, I want to make the best possible Rock 'n Roll music in my context that can channel the energy and spirit of Seiko (the most true in spirit Rock 'n Roll star of this generation of music) with the sound of Give 'Em Enough Rope Clash, Bon Scott era Ac/Dc, the Smiths, Buddy Holly, BAND-MAID etc. and still just be as real as it can be.

I hope I can be in a band one day, I really do. I want so badly to jam with other people and perform. But for now I wait for nothing and only do. So we have another year of my music done. Frick guys. I didn't think I'd make it this far when I started in 2016 but here we are. The second full year of Manimal music. Pipe thanks as always because it was you who got this going and no one else (well besides myself but you know), and Lego thanks for always being my supporter and even inspiration with your own music. and Coryn, Vacant, Nair, you guys know I don't need to say anything. Let's hope 2019 is...actually no. Let's just see what happens and not hope for anything. I will quietly post my Christmas EP on SC, this thread will fade until the next album begins. What do I want to do next?

Well, I want to make better music. That's pretty simple. So let's keep at it huh.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:40:50 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #454 on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
I'm breaking new gate.

I have a reason to write songs again. Every album cycle I try to get something, a burning need to write then I use it all up and look for it again. I basically destroyed myself to rebuilt myself by writing 7 songs in one night almost 2 weeks ago and doing a few things to improve myself. I had what I think might be a catalyst moment last night also. My music is always a reflection of me when I make it, always. Otherwise it sucks. and to make good music I feel I have to destroy and rebuilt, a simple enough cycle.

Isn't it strange how serious I can be?  :push:

Now we can ignore that the chords are "Kanan's School Of Sunshine" but different rhythm and order, because my past music doesn't matter. It's time for me to just, try and suck less and less and really stand proud behind the Kanttila name. This is the perfect song for me to start 2019 and my next album I feel. The next set is "Infinite Human Machine".

Nothing Left For You
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/nothing-left-for-you

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 06, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
This song is about the old Finlanders, Wops and so on that you see when you go to Robins in the morning. Yes, not even Tims this time, we're going for a true Northern Ontario aesthetic now. They are always there chilling, and it's like, isn't that a weird goal to have...be old as them and still have the same friends just chilling in fricking Robins Donuts. So I made a song about that feeling. It's one of my favorite kind of songs to make, one full of isolating and specific references that you'd only get if you're from my city! 

The track is very simple, it has an old style Barry Goldman 12-string bridge and I'm very proud of my drumming/bass playing on this song. A simple groove but I'm aiming for stronger grooves and less guitar tracks! This song is nice and easy, 4 tracks and 2 for vocals. Now my vocals, well...not really my best. I don't know about this set. I was super excited about this song until I sang over it. Then it went from cool to, oh man. This might be an EP, or not. It doesn't feel like an album even though I'm having a breakthrough of things to write songs about besides...Yoshiko or something.

Aarto And The Old Boys
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/aarto-and-the-old-boys     

A current issue in my music is length. I can't seem to write a song that hits 3 minutes. I don't know how to make a long song without repeating too much, sometimes. I have done some 5 minute tracks that are very strong because of their length. It makes it feel more complete. But I just can't break the formula of my music. I broke the old Sonic structure of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, instrumental to end but now I need to expand somehow and make longer more complete songs. I can and have done my share of 3-4 minute songs but it's hard to get there. and I don't know how necessary it is. 

Maybe my songs don't need to be that long on average though. To me you can't make a song under 2:20 or it's not really a song. I like the classic Beatles song length. Do a lot in little time is my ideal but I think maybe I need to make songs that are atleast 3:30 to 4. My songs are largely the same in structure also. 

I kind of want to make Goof Rock again. I want to do new things and write serious songs about my life but I feel the results are not as good as my careless quickly written goof rock songs that are more electric and moving. Maybe an issue is how safe my music is now versus this time 2 years ago when I was in Sonic City. No more doing anything wild. I want to make good tunes so bad but my music maybe is plain now. But I don't want to go back to thinking things like "Love Ballad #282", "Idol Eyes", "Lovely Maidens Burn The Garden" and the Krayon EP are okay because they aren't. So I might be doing okay.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:18:06 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
Alright, getting there. Maybe next week my next album will be done? I have perhaps 2 more songs to write/record, so we'll see. This has been the longest it's actively taken me to make an album yet, I've had a lot of ideas that I didn't think would work, but it's coming together bit by bit. The two songs above will be on the album, I just didn't feel it was the time to put 'em out, and I thought of scrapping them also. The timing with FAWM always screws me up in January. Plus I didn't know what kind of album I wanted to make yet. I'm aiming at 12 songs, all real songs no interludes and over 40 minutes.

This song is a milestone, one of the best tracks if not the best one I've made yet. It's not perfect but it's certainly something I can really stand behind. It has more J-Rock elements from BAND-MAID and BiSH than ever before, with some Sonic elements to and such. It came to me so naturally also, I woke up, showered, got the idea, started the car, wrote the chorus, went to Tims, than wrote the rest of the song and recorded it. Vocals are rough but I think compared to last year I'm better already. So this is the "single" before the album if you want to call it that. This isn't the first song I've made on the Winter War and Ladoga Karelia but it's the most general and best written song on it I've done, since it could apply to anything else. Instead of "this is my specific reference only I get".   

Look out for Infinite Human Machine, if I still call it that. I might.

Bridge By The Sun 
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/bridge-by-the-sun     

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:21:28 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW ALBUM)
« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »
Kanttila : Infinite Human Machine

1. I Kill My Heart
2. New Gate
3. Relics Of The Old World
4. Bridge By The Sun
5. Operation Impala (Feat. Legomaestro)
6. Nothing Left For You
7. (I Wanna Be In) Your Photobook
8. Pink Shinigami
9. Kalamojakka
10. Personality Flaw
11. She Got Me
12. Aarto And The Old Boys 

All songs written & performed by the Manimal sans
Track 5 Lyrics, Vocal Melody & Guest Voice by : Legomaestro

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/infinite-human-machine-2

At last this album is done! 98 days after my previous one "My Nonsense" we have "Infinite Human Machine" my 17th album and the only one I've made so far that went (pretty much) how I hoped it would.

I'm a bit disappointed I reached 12 songs but not 40 minutes but that doesn't matter. This is an album where I let my inspirations of the moment drift off in certain tracks, and let others sit. It's very much an album of 3-4 different parts put together. It's all linked under one theme, and it's something that...well let's say when I wrote "I Don't Know Love" something was unleashed and my music would never be the same. and this year started with a little jolt to my emotions, so I made an album about it. There is no track here I feel is awful or out of place, everything just does it's trick. Now that I've made an album based on this I don't really want to do it again, so hopefully I got that out of my system, but we'll see where my music goes.

I put more Elvis into my music along with inspiration from BiSH and AYUNi D's PEDRO project. Nowadays I'm mainly listening to BiSH, Elvis and The Smiths so I tried to mix it up a bit on here. The 50's swing on the drums and bass, with other stuff. I think this is a decent album for my drumming and bass. I'm happy with that part, I think I have my own groove on the drums. I'm not nuanced or technical but I believe I can atleast hit my feelings out of them fine. It's a bad album for my solos however, I feel my leads are very weak on here and don't really explode like they did on "My Nonsense". My vocals are well, the same as normal but now I have a bit of a better idea of what I want to do.                                 

Next time I want to whatever. I'll do whatever I do next when I do it. I do really want to do a 7-8 song Elvis cover EP, I've already done a few songs, so we'll see huh. This is "Infinite Human Machine" finally done! 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:20:29 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 01, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »
The next set begins, an Elvis cover mini-album! 

As is known I love Elvis, it's one of those passed down things in the family. I started listening to his music in 2015 and came back hardcore in the last few months when I had a little spark that scrambled my thoughts and now the way I view the world and myself. Elvis' music has soundtracked my life since New Years, along with BiSH. It's the sound of so much to me. He had the voice and ability to make tunes his own. There is a cosmic power to Elvis' best work, it has a real soul to me. The best songs about love and related things ever recorded, the romance, the longing, every feeling was conveyed in his best work. and it's all connected with me in such a manner, stronger than before. Elvis was better than anyone at delivering these things for myself. Sure he didn't write his own songs, but he was an interpreter, and the raw emotion of the tunes is what gets to me. Bruce is the artist of my life, no one will ever top the connection I have to his music and it's value to me, Born To Run is the most important album ever made as far as I care, but Elvis is close in other regards. So I wanted to do a tribute to this very important music to me. So we'll start with a fun tune from Golden Records Vol. 1. I am working on another song right now that is pushing my voice the most I ever have, we'll see how successful I am with that...   

Treat Me Nice 
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/treat-me-nice-cover-song 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:40:45 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 09, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »
Switching Soundclouds now that the other one is full once again. I made a quick playlist of my best songs since I changed my music name to Kanttila last year. It's a good look at what I've been doing and what I can do.
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/sets/this-is-kanttila

I'm a bit of a nostalgic fool, I wish I wasn't but I can't help but. I've been making music since July 2016 and it was a different time for me in a way. I've gotten comfy in my full time job I started in the exact beginning of 2018 and now that I decided I'm not going back to school this year it's like, hhhm, what am I doing in life? I started music when I was about to start college and it's chronicling my life journey since than. Even if not a ton has happened per say. Sometimes I miss my beginnings, it's always so fun to start a new thing you know, but I've gotten so much better since than and my songs are technically better also. I have so much sentiment for 2016, it's annoying to feel this way but I know why I do. Like everyone I'm just trying to navigate my life and figure it all out, and this will reflect in my next album more than ever I'm sure, I'm being crushed by the things I've been realizing, but I have to move past it.  What do you do when you finally after all this time realize your Thunder Road dreams will never happen and everything you wanted was never going to come no matter how long you waited all along? Man oh man. "Days Of Our Lifenheimers" is up next, and my Elvis cover EP will come along slowly between inspiration.

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SINGLE)
« Reply #460 on: April 20, 2019, 10:06:10 PM »
We'll call it that. A single of sorts, my first one I guess. "When Your Time Comes" featuring a song that won't be on my next album "Luger Eyes" and the Elvis cover I posted before "Treat Me Nice". I like the idea of singles but I've never regarded my songs like this. But my idea is to upload this and then the rest of the album when it's done instead of what I've done before where I make a song and quickly upload it. "When Your Time Comes" is the first song I wrote and recorded for this album. It's kind of a song that keeps building but not too anything crazy. "Luger Eyes" is just an 80's Metal song, but the most glorious attempt I've had yet. It's not all the way there to be an album track so I just took some random lyrics from my notebook and pieced it together. So yes, the first single of me in a way.

https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/when-your-time-comes?in=kanttilamusic/sets/when-your-time-comes-single

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
Another track, I am very proud of this one. It's far better than the last song, and one of my best yet maybe.

Lego helped me with it. I sent him the track and he came up with an excellent vocal melody I used on the song. I used some of his lyrics in the chorus and the bridge and wrote my own for the verses and such. Lego really gave life to this song by finding the melody in the music that was there, which I myself would not of found. I don't have the same ability to come up with good melodies that Lego does. My Jazzmaster was the star of this song, that thing is amazing when you really dig in and smack it about.

The meaning of this song is simple, you can ponder the meaning of life and the meaning of this and that but at the end of the day you need no reason but your own. Take that as you will.

No Reason But My Own
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/no-reason-but-my-own

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (2 NEW SONGS)
« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »
So that was annoying. My laptop was out for 2 weeks because of the charger port so I couldn't do anything on the album. I have all the instrumentals done, I just need to sing on 'em now. and I've quickly found...I kind of made an album full of songs I can't sing. So this is going to be...greatly challenging.

This song not so much, even though I'm sure I'm out of key, I always am most likely. The track how ever, ya I'm happy with it wow. It worked a lot better than I thought, it was dynamite recording this song! So hopefully I can do the other songs okay because jeez I made songs in the wrong keys. Ugh I hate being a garbage vocalist. But I'm not doing anything to improve so, my fault. Singing is way harder than guitar and stuff. WAY harder. On the brighter side I AM BACK ON THE SOLOS for this album! Last album had trash solos but this track has a real me solo. So I'm okay with it! My solos are instinct, pure instinct. I improv a few takes until it sounds okay. I always try to do 4 different things in a solo and I could never play it back again. I'm not versatile mostly but you know I do what I do. Here is the song.

Existence Is My Thing
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/existence-is-my-thing 

R.I.P. Stoners.

Anti-420
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/anti-420

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:34:15 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 13, 2019, 04:09:26 PM »
Next album is almost here. My last day on this job is the 18th so I'm going to put it out on the same day to be symbolic. It's even my 18th album. Wow, Carly Rae's new album on the 17th as well, talk about timely. She'll be facing me in the same position of life I was in when Emotion came out in 2015, unemployed and not going to school that year (though I basically have another job lined up pretty much). Anyway this is my music so here's the title track. I think I'm allowed to say it's a pretty good song, vocal issues aside.

Days Of Our Lifenheimers
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/days-of-our-lifenheimers 

I wasted some time ranking my albums also, so here is that. Featured song below the titles.

Spoiler
1. Post America    
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/country-club
Of course being the Kansas album there is a lot of sentiment behind this one. An album written on Nairbon's guitar on his kitchen table. There is only one bad song and it's an awful one "Last Chance Heroes". Otherwise it's inspired and fiery, plus it's based on an amazing experience in my life. Some lyrics are poor but it's really a solid album overall with the most consistent theme I've ran. Despite the one bad song this has to be my best album yet for a bunch of reasons.

2. Skywalk 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/under-the-skywalk
- I've tried a few concept albums and this is my most successful one, even if it makes little sense. It has some bad moments and lyrics, not to mention weird angles and confusing ideas presented that are not explained, but it's a solid work overall that has a real theme behind it and a style. It has "Under The Skywalk" after all, one of my best ever songs. The album has some misses but overall I'm proud of it.

3. Barry Goldman's World Tour 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/larger-than-my-life
- There is something about this album that makes it something I'm very proud of. It has some misses like my humiliating vocal on "Hyvaa Joulua" and the weak opener "British People Are Weird", but everything sort of just works on this album. "Larger Than My Life" is the best song I've ever made yet and despite some of the lyrics being cringy I think it's a decent album because it was really the best I could of made at the time. When the album ends you know everything was said.

4. My Nonsense 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/my-nonsense
- This album doesn't have much to say, it's really as simple as it's name. It has a theme, just make a good Rock album with my Tele and SG, double tracked on both sides. It has filler songs, actual filler being "Stride" and "Calamity Me" but when this album is good it feels stronger. A little more beefy in a way and my vocals aren't too bad overall. Plus the ending solo of "Jingo Girl" is my absolute blow-out, it's one of my best final songs that really says, this album is over.

5. Magnus Bridge   
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/magnus-bridge-stellas-takeoff
- My first album that raised the bar for myself. It began to shape my style and expression, introducing Midnight Stella to my music and some new styles. The title track is a major achievement of mine. "Number Two On A Top Ten List" was also my first collab with Lego. The album had it's failings and some cringy moments but as a whole it was my first complete altogether work.

6. Homestyle 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/sunspot
- This album is really silly, but I kind of really like it. Homestyle is a variety with some Jangly tunes, slammers and a cover of Lego's "Phonecall For Stelly". Although the tone is all over the place with some overly serious lyrics and silly ones the album was meant to sound like Spring and with an opener like "Pinstripe Kermit" it did the trick. I think this album got the fun right before my sound was fulyl defined.

7. Black Hair Like Blood 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/fringe
- This is another concept album, not fully fleshed out. It has some more Nirvana elements to the dynamics, clear in songs like "Seaside Hotel" and "Catch Me Fresh". My Strat shines and there is a renewed Rock energy to the tracks. "Fringe" is a benchmark song and the ending "One Hopeless Buyer" is as dumb as it gets with my music. The album is a little too short and could've used more work to be better.

8. Aesthetic   
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/farming-for-commies
- This is what Goof Rock is. My double album is a big stupid blow-out with some ridiolous songs that got a little carried away. It's my 50/90 album so I had a lot to choose from, and the album has it's own energy and style. This is where I defined everything about my sound. It has just about all my tricks of the time and on, all the song structures and antics. Some songs are really bad however and my vocals are crazed.

9. Call of Mugi
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/barely-gold-man
- I thought this album sucked when I put it out but it has some of my best songs yet like "Barely Gold, Man", a top 10 for sure, "Stella Skies", "Coughing Up The Heel", "Wallflower Army" and even "Silent Suggestions". The concept is bad and it's painfully in character a lot of the time, even my collab song with Lego stinks. Paipis provided an excellent opening piece however, and I did a lot of different things in the structure of the songs. This album is both bad and good.   

10. Infinite Human Machine    
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/bridge-by-the-sun
- I don't know why but I dislike this album a lot even though it has a lot of my better songs. It has some strong ones and a good variety but it just sticks out as a sour note for me, perhaps it was the inspiration behind songs like "Nothing Left For You", "She Got Me" and "I Kill My Heart". "New Gate", "Aarto And The Old Boys", "Relics Of The Old World" and the best song "Bridge By The Sun" are fine. But as a whole there is something off about this one to me.

11. The Natural Order   
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/natural-order
- Thrown together, it has no real flow but some decent songs. It gets iffy towards the end and overall was just rushed to get it done and it never had an idea as a whole album. "Natural Order" is one of my best songs for sure but "Save All You Can Hold" is a dirty rip off of The Smiths "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" and "Harumaki" is painfully out of tune vocally.

12. Flat As Manitoba   
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/goofballed
- This was another step-up for me and the first album I posted on Facebook actually. I thought I was finally making good stuff. Not quite but there is a notable improvement in everyone but the terrible sound. This album is painfully on the ears but it has songs I worked out more like "Goofballed" and there is a lot of variety. Not everthing works but I was still figuring it all out.

13. Ghosts Of Kaministiquia  
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/silver-mines
- Bad album, carry over songs and terrible lyrics here and there. It has a really bad sound and some songs really needed to be worked out more or cut. "Superior" is almost good and "Silver Mines" is alright. It has some awful songs though and nothing can save a track like "Idols Have Abs" which itself was an attempt to make a song like BiSH's "SMACK baby SMACK". I don't like this album.

14. Fricktionary
- It's my very first album so I don't fault it too much but man, what the hell. Sometimes I wonder about myself, and when I make songs like "Wizardology" where I scream "I AM A WIZARD AND NO ONE'S TOUCHED MY LIZARD" I'm just like man, what was I thinking. "Wowzers" makes me cringe and the 12 mintue finale "Flies On Broadway" only has 1 good minute in it. "Freak Con" makes me die so hard I die. This album was me...just trying to figure it all out. It was all different then, guitar, the way I viewed music, everything.

15. You Get The Point
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/after-school-me-time
- "After School Me Time" was a bright moment and the album has it's times where it isn't an unbearable cringe fest with the worst lyrics I've ever written. Man I deleted two songs off it just because no one needs to hear them. This album got out of control in some regards and it's truly awful at many points. I was jsut trying to figure it out and  in the mist of Sonic Youth and Nirvana.

16. Always A Critic 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/will-this-be-on-the-test
- Wow. Sometimes it's amazing to me how awful my creations can be. This album was a step-up in many ways from my first but wow when it's bad it's insanely bad. "Black Vapor" was almost amazing but it was ruiend by the worst lyrics I have ever written, period. I deleted most of this album, "Apply Directionly To Forehead" and "Tamako" are so bad that it's insane. I was trying to do something, and I did something, I put stuff into these songs and I tried, but it never needs to be heard again. A big stepping stone.   

17. Midnight Stella 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/track/theme-for-midnight-stella
- Insanely terrible. "Theme For Midnight Stella" is one of my best compositions, "No Wave For Kitty" is nice, but the fact that I thought "Cozy Nozy", "V Shaped Burn Out", no...the fact that I thought anything else was okay on this album is a marvel to me. Always A Critic was bad but it had real effort. There is no effort in most of these songs, they are just a trainwreck of horrible energy. "Idol Eyes" is my worst song, my single worst song for sure. Wow I hate it so much. It was so bad that the following EP Refrigerator Worthy opened with a vacuum cleaner to clean away this album and then I made Magnus Bridge...                   

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (18th ALBUM COMPLETE)
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
Kanttila : Days Of Our Lifenheimers

1. No Reason But My Own
2. One Day
3. She's A Rock 'n Roll
4. Days Of Our Lifenheimers
5. When Your Time Comes
6. Love Is Nuclear War
7. Existence Is My Thing
8. Anti-420
9. The Greatest Gray
10. Kurtiiläinen

All songs written by the Manimal sans A1, A3 Manimal/Legomaestro
All songs performed by the Manimal

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/days-of-our-lifenheimers

In the haze of the longest daily day, the mundane happenings and events of it all, change might soon arise now and then. To break that casual comfortable nature. These are the Days Of Our Lifenheimers.

BOOM! This is the album to mark a couple changes in my life, I timed it to coincide with my last day at the Pawn Shop, which I've worked for a year and 4 months. It's been quite the experience, in the dull ways and in the crazy ways. It's good to be leaving, and now my life may move again, my monochrome world spins once more before a new natural order settles. This album reflects that in a way with it's at times mundane focuses and other times silly cartoony scenes of idol references, historical happenings and everything put together.   

I faced my greatest challenge with the vocals, this album was made all instrumentals first, so I had this complete thing but no idea what to sing over it. Only two of these songs where made with a vocal melody in mind. I had such a hard time with the first song "Life Is Comedy" that I took it off the album. It worked though since "No Reason But My Own" is the star song. Lego helped me with the melody, he came up with this excellent vocal part for the tune and I had a good lyrical inspiration. It's the best song on the album because of him. Lego also helped with "She's A Rock 'n Roll" which is my tribute song to Ayuni D.   

"Days Of Our Lifenheimers" is the first song I really made for the album, since "When Your Time Comes" is a bit of a hold over from last album in style. I was playing my friends guitar aimlessly and started playing the sort of Sonic Youth riff that turned into something I'm really happy with. The song has the best sound on the album. I used my Jazzmaster for more than just whammy craziness on this album, it has the best clean tone of all my guitars and is the perfect tool for the right part. I also made some 70's/80's Metal type songs with my Dad's PRS and my SG, "Love Is Nuclear War" being inspired by Judas Priest's album Stained Class and "Kurtiiläinen" which is two songs of mine in one, an unused one from My Nonsense, and a new one that is like The Clash's "All The Young Punks" mixed with BiSH's "Lonely Girl".   

This album is two parts, the first 5 have their own feel. It's my style taken to a different way, the sort of thing I've developed. The second half has more inspirations like "Existence Is My Thing" coming eerily close to Whitesnake's "Guilty Of Love". Though "No Reason But My Own" is a mixture of Van Halen's "Dance The Night Away" and Elvis' "The Girl Of My Best Friend" in parts. "Anti-420" is simply a hi-tempo slammer, I used my Tele for all it's worth on the left channel, I wanted it to be the silly, somewhat catchy song of the album with a title that pops. Even if it sounds like a title a cop would use I am anti-weed (for myself not others) but it's really not a serious song if you listen to the lyrics.             

I think my drums sound the best they ever have, for my ol' PS2 era USB mic on a chair somehow they sound more clear on here. I did tighten the hell out of the snare (which has no wires since they broke 2 years ago) and got a new tom skin that sounds badass (I need to replace the other two). I also got a pair of Rock Knockers which have butt ends on both sides of the sticks, my dream since I've played with butt ends since I saw Nick Menza do it in a video (only broke 1 stick this way in over a year instead of when I broke sticks all the time and even used taped up ones). the bass also gets a little more life, "She's A Rock 'n Roll" was build around the bassline and there is a solo in "Kurtiiläinen". Speaking of which my guitar solos are back and better than ever! I let it rip on this album, Ace Frehley gone mad on a Tele style.   

I think my lyrics are a bit more focused. "Love Is Nuclear War" is an anime like song about something I am very familiar with, a story song. "When Your Time Comes" is a little much maybe with it's a very out of place Yugo War theme with BiSH, Morning Musume and BAND-MAID reference (knives sharp as Saiki's teeth was maybe not a great lyric). Also this album features two Cuba references, a mainstay in my music. "Days Of Our Lifenheimers" is a song about just sitting around waiting to be inspired, in my case I started reading the classic Batman graphic novels and I'm addicted, and it makes me want to draw again but I don't have the spark anymore. "One Day" was me sitting at a Sushi place wanting to write a song about...well, the highway. The vocals on that song are horrible though.

This album is far better than my last, which was at times a bit much. I went a little too into it with my angle on then current emotions. But I had to do it, even if I don't like the lyrics to some songs. My beginning of year albums are always not good. It atleast had one of my top 5 best songs yet "Bridge By The Sun". This album might not be my best like I had hoped, but it is something. It is mostly complete even if I gave up on the first song because I couldn't sing it/find a melody. It was not the best fit song for the album though. The second half could've used a song instead of the instrumental bit, a slower song, but the album was done there was no reason to write another song when I knew I was done with it.     

Regardless this is my 18th album. Don't know what happens next, it's always weird with 50/90 in July. I'll just see where it goes, I want to make a longer album, 50 minutes to an hour. This album is the average length of my albums, 32-38 minutes. It feels too short for my idea. Could've used something longer on the second half since it's Rock after Rock after Rock. But anyway here it is, Days Of Our Lifenheimers.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:08:12 AM by Manimal »