April 19, 2024, 01:01:25 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Music  (Read 125509 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG FEAT. LEGO)
« Reply #435 on: October 04, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
So Lego sent me something in the beginning of July, I recorded the track in the middle of August and finally now it's uploaded and done. It took a bit but I am quite happy with the result. Since our previous collab was about the comic we made together Larry Pine, we switched to do a song for my story Mango P.I. Lego wrote the lyrics and gave me a wack demo with this weird vocal delivery and only one chord progression.

I refined the progression to this which man, I feel like I sub consciously got it from somewhere. I have never made a track like this, there are no electrics and it just slowly goes along. Lego gave me something awesome to work with and this is the result of our 6th collab. This is a very late album type of song that is like nothing else on there. I'm quite happy with this one even if the mix is off. I sang most of Larry Pine so Lego sang the majority of this song. I figure by the time you get to track 10 you'd like a break from my voice for a bit haha. This is our second best collab song I would say!

The Love Agent (Feat. Lego)
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/the-love-agent-feat-ahasuerus
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:20:12 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (15th ALBUM COMPLETE)
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »
-
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:17:20 AM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #437 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:20 PM »
Last album is a bomb, so I said forget about it I'm just going to have to make a better album fast as I can.

I was pretty angsty about my music yesterday, I had a moody drive with my BAND-MAID mixtape and listened to Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark than sat down for 5 hours and wrote 10 songs, so basically my next album. My intend, to destroy my last album which blows. I figured, it wasn't good so I just have to do better next time. So I just went mad and boom wrote it all. This is how I push myself, I get so angry at myself for being substandard so I can do something decent. I did this with Magnus Bridge and Barry Goldman's World Tour.

So the idea is simple. Rock. No BS, try for less this and that and more consistent just energy and jamming. I restrung my SG to bring Super Ang back to action for the first time since "Dollar Drink Days" I believe, over a year ago. Is this the best song ever? Nah but I'm not going to worry, I'm just going to try and make a FRICKING ROCK album and forget my previous failure, because The Natural Order is a failure, not because it's my worst album rather it came after a big personal win with Post America and was garbage in comparison, so people! You need to make garbage until you snap out of it and realize your sucking! and than get mad about that!

The Crow's Feather
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/the-crows-feather

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 11, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »
The rock rolls on. I love this approach! I just record 2 guitar tracks for each channel, left SG w/ TS7 Tubescreamer right Tele w/ Boss Super Overdrive and do no extra bits aside from a little chorus fill and the solo. Then drums and bass. Maybe some tammy if the song calls for it. It's so nice to do this after trying to jam this and that in. I want this to be my band sounding album a little bit. That punk energy I developed with a lil more Ac/Dc and Iron Maiden is my idea. 

Hard to mix this one actually...gotta work on that bass sound. The drums/bass/vocals sounded nice then the guitar added makes it more complicated to mix so I just say eh whatever.

Gabriel's Dropout
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/gabriels-dropout

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:21:33 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (2 NEW SONGS)
« Reply #439 on: October 14, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
This is a simple ditty that sounded like a backyard...so I called it "Backyard". I'm trying to record each song in the order I wrote them in, which may well be the order they are on the album. So this song starts on the last chord of "Gabriel's Dropout".

Backyard   
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/backyard 

Woooo, this is my most violent song since "The Annexation Of You". Took a while but finally wrote lyrics I feel passion about to bring out the Manimal in this simple song that took forever for me to realize I needed to play to a 100 BPM track and not a 190 BPM one to get the riff sounding right.

Laelaps Infinite   
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/laelaps-infinite     

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:09:26 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
Quickly put together a music video for "America Runs On Lies" with my Kansas clips. Just a fast edit that took me waaaaaay to long to get to. Watch in awe as Vacant syrups pancakes, Coryn points at something, Nair waves and I drink Dunkin's. Sadly the video never tops it's first shot. The editing got wack also.

But finally some video from the KC trip. 

America Runs On Lies (Music Video)
https://youtu.be/oDyyWD9sBCk

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
*war flashbacks*

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »
About halfway done the next set, unless I go with 12 songs but we'll see. These songs are ending up 2-3 minutes so I want at least 30 minutes. 30-40 is the ideal album length for my music, but I should aim for longer songs. Sometimes the 4-5 minute ones turn out nicely. Compared to the verse, chorus, verse, chorus, instrumental to end songs like this one.

Matador!
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/matador 

Re-did the vocals on "Laelaps Infinite" also, it's a highlight song. But the first version had some bad self righteous lyrics in the second verse that ruined the whole song. I have written some truly awful wack lines this year on split emotions and they always turn out embarrassing. But that song is fixed now!                   

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (2 NEW SONGS)
« Reply #443 on: October 25, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »
So I thought, I made 5 songs I am pretty happy with, why not...not rush the next album? I was like ya I'll finish it by Halloween but of the 10 songs I wrote on the 7th only 7 or 8 are usable. I wanted to be novel and write/record the songs in order but then I was like, no that's stupid. I want to actually try make something good and consistent this time unlike The Natural Order. I figure I'll do 12 songs so I can have cornerstones. Yes, I like to think of my albums as records so side 1 and 2. Gotta have those cornerstones.

This song is the sequel to "An Absolute Unit" which is a song of my best friends. This song is about the rest of my friends haha. One group per verse. Silly lyrics of course. This one was pretty fun, a simple riff to build on.

B-Squad
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/b-squad 

This one I came up with today, like "Backayrd" it's a song where I get to stomp on the pedal for those dynamics instead of just use different tracks. I got to use my, little lyric details that don't seem connected and aren't anyway. I broke one of my tom skins so um....time for a new one I guess. 

Zero Singing Doves
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/zero-singing-doves 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:48:17 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 01, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
Also "Zero Singing Doves" is fixed with better vocals, I am very happy with that song it is a little different in a way. I think I'm going to try 2 more songs on the album. But this is hard, I don't quite know what to do for song 8 and 9, that's the tricky part of the album, it will either die or keep on the same path. I'm super happy with my vocals on all songs but "Jingo Girl". I have got to do my wack thing with more honest lyrics and also be more aggressive like on "Zero Singing Doves" and "Lailaps Infinite". I'll post the link again because I'm so happy with it despite some issues with the verses. The chorus I just yelled and got to reference Canadan Sanomat and Turun Sinappi!
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/zero-singing-doves       
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:42:49 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 09, 2018, 07:40:55 AM »
A bit of a different song here. I don't know if it will work on the album, this is the tough part. I have 7 solid songs and somehow I need to come up with a strong last act. The pace needs to slow a lil' bit so I tried this, a bass heavy song with some little guitars. I um...well maybe I subconsciously borrowed from the intro of "Sunglasses At Night" (maybe lol). I don't know if this is like last album meh stuff or worth putting on this album, I figure I might as well since it breaks down from the louder rock songs a bit. "Zero Singing Doves" is so much better than my normal songs so it's hard to follow up. I recorded another song yesterday I just need vox for. This album is taking a lil' longer than I thought it would but that's not really a bad thing.

Stride
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/stride   

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (16th ALBUM COMPLETE)
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
Kanttila : My Nonsense

1. The Crow's Feather
2. Gabriel's Dropout
3. Backyard
4. Lailaps Infinite
5. Matador!
6. B-Squad
7. Zero Singing Doves
8. Stride
9. Calamity Me   
10. Jingo Girl 

All songs written & performed by the Manimal

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/my-nonsense

So today on Remembrance Day, 100 years after the end of World War I we have a new album from Kanttila. The time had come to make my full on Rock album, but my music has always been full on Rock. However this time it is...two times the Rock? It's another set of My Nonsense.

After the failure to find direction with The Natural Order, an album that had 3-4 false starts as a Jangle set, Acoustic set or Goof Rock set, I found I needed to make a consistent album and really just Rock. I was burning to make a much better album and had my angsty BAND-MAID soundtracked drive that led me to writing the first 6 songs on this album in one go, along with some others I didn't use. The idea was simple, bring back my SG, the guitar I put so much in, and just make a SG on left, Tele on right, double tracked on both, Rock album. I always make Rock music but this time I wanted it to be more focused.

This is my first album to not have any Sonic noise, aside from a bit of accidental feedback before the solo in "Gabriel's Dropout" this set is void of any screaming feedback, analog delay sweeps and my normal tricks. I use my ebow twice and the tammy is broken out here and there, but aside from the acoustic in the first bit of "Backyard" (which I made off like the right channel me was playing the acoustic than dropped it for the Tele) it's all SG and Tele, Super Ang and the Stellacaster. Since The Natural Order was a jumbled mess of directions, with not terrible songs just terrible flow, I needed to make an album that worked together, even if it kind of fails in it's last act, like Post America also did.

"Zero Singing Doves" is this album's best song and one of my top from the year so far. I'm very proud of it! It came out of nowhere and just turned out perfect on my scale. I am also happy with "The Crow's Feather" and "Matador!". There aren't any terrible songs by my standards on here although "Calamity Me" is very clearly a filler song that's only purpose is to lead to "Jingo Girl", the natural finale song. Actually "Calamity Me" is really no good in terms of the vocals. I have been struggling with the last part of my album's forever. I start very strong but when it comes to the last week I get so rushed to want it done that the songs suffer. Post America had a brutal hit with "Last Chances Heroes", ruining what might of been my best album. The Natural Order had "Harumäki" which was almost good but ruined by my terrible vocals on that song.

I have been getting more tactical with my bass playing, I like to play bass it's fun and since it's my first instrument I'm not too bad at it, although I always played it like guitar. I feel like Andy Rourke really gave me a kick with his amazing basslines in the Smiths songs, that made me feel like...okay bass is vital and it's time to step it up. Before my basslines where often too quite to hear or just kind of there. I'm not coming up with amazing parts or anything, just trying to be a lil' more noticeable on the bass.

Lyrically there is a pretty evident theme, maybe it's evident I don't know. My lyrics are sometimes too rushed to be good, but I feel I have my moments and I've gotten better at making them feel like things only I could've written but not going overboard like I have in the past. When I look at some of my lyrics I wrote before Barry Goldman's World Tour it's truly amazing how terrible I was and how embarrassing I got. Barry Goldman's World Tour was my first album to finally shape my lyrics into something, and though I've had terrible missteps earlier this year on the awful album Ghosts Of Kaministiquia and some strangely horrific phrases on Skywalk, ever since I dropped the Barry Goldman name and went to the much better and way more fitting for myself Kanttila my expression has improved tons.

Post America was the major turning point for my music, and though The Natural Order didn't have album flow these are way better albums than say, Call Of Mugi or Homestyle. Though they might not have songs as good as "Coughing Up The Heel", "Barely Gold, Man" and "Pinstripe Kermit". When I listened to Haru to Shura the other night I was really taken aback how good it was and it made me think, I'm not making music that will ever be...anything more than silly basement Rock that can't connect or really do anything for anyone but myself. Haru's album felt important like it had a big statement and a powerful expression. Granted she has however many people working on that album and I'm just one guy who makes absolutely everything by myself, quick as possible, with no input or help unless it's a collab with Lego, but it makes me think...man I wish I could just do more than this. But this is literally the only thing I am able to do by myself. I just need to get better!     

So this album is me doing what I do best really. This is my "big Rock" album that has no nonsense yet it still does have My Nonsense. Overall it's fine, it falters by the end but the first 7 songs are all strong.

Next up I want to do a Christmas EP, maybe 5-6 songs. Me and Lego have talked about a collab EP also, more laid back and looping like Lego's music is. So I can say, I'm fairy certain this one here is my last album of 2018, but you never know with me eh. If anyone has ever been interested in listening to my music I say this is the album to go to because it's better as a whole than my other albums. So that is all for this set, time for the next!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (Christmas Tunes Begin)
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
The Yule songs begin. I want to try make an EP, like 6 songs since they are short. It's a little trickier than I figured however so maybe 5. Who knows.

These aren't like top quality but you know, Christmas music have fun with it. "Jingle Bell Rock" is a must you know, I was going to do it at 120 BPM all nice but then I started playing drums really fast to the click and based the track on my drums. Not much guitar wise. "The Very First Christmas" is the classic Sponge-Bob tune, I didn't want to go hard on the voices, it's a bit off but eh. You can't tell me I didn't nail Plankton's part...because I fricking did.

https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/jingle-bell-rock
https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/the-very-first-christmas 

For my real music I am very much uncertain where to go next. I know I need to change my approach again. I've gotten into this sort of new era with Post America and with a trilogy of albums it's time for new. Skywalk was the last time I really went with that Magnus Bridge set of ideas and aimed for big album scale instead of tracklist of all good tunes. I feel my creativity has decreased since the Kanttila Bay EP. I feel really inspired by Haru's album, it made me feel like I need to make better music once more. Cemented by getting Sennou on record and really clicking with that album. It's like, I need to make the next step up in creativity from Skywalk. Post America may be good for me but it wasn't very creative in a way. My Nonsense was fine really, but it didn't do anything all too different or crazy.

So I figure I should maybe spend December trying to figure out what I can do and record some things if I have the inspiration. I still haven't found a way to make my Jazzmaster really work and I don't make songs that breath or have space enough. My music is so overly structured and organized, it's riff x4, riff x4, to end kind of thing. Such is life as a One Man band though...and such is how it shall stay it seems.     
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:04:36 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (ANOTHER CHRISTMAS SONG)
« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »
Another Christmas tune, this is a kind of wack version of "Welcome Christmas" the Grinch tune. It's um, a little more wild than it needs to be with some more...um, silly vocals. It has some Clash Give 'Em Enough Rope style guitars. My goal with these is to take these classic and defined tunes and see what I can do with them since there is such a strong base I don't need to just strum away. So I'm seeing how I can add new elements to my music, especially in the other two songs which have slightly sparser guitars.   

I want to see how I can add little melodies into my music and stuff. I think of all my favorite J-Pop songs, they have little catchy bits. Like Seiko's "Nostalgic J-Pop" and "Nama Kill The Time 4 You" with their little do-do-do-do's and all. I hum little things like the keyboard fills in Utada's "Distance" all the time and J-Rock is classic for having those melodic guitar hooks in the intros. Those bits are what gets to me most, it's the English phrases and melodic details that are catchy when I can't even understand anything. I love Seiko's "Kimi Ni Todoku Na" because I thought she said "baby baby baby baby, lonely lonely lonely time" but I found out yesterday it's "loli loli lonely doll". I love how great it sounds when an English word sneaks in and it's something that I can't so much carry over into my music. I don't really want to like force Finn words in here and there when I can't even pronounce them right lol. There is so much in J-Pop I want to do that I simply can not.

I want to add more of that to my music, the embellishments that my songs lack. I just never know what to play exactly and ya, composing melodies isn't my greatest ability for sure. It's hard to tell when things are in tune for me and if the fills are going all wack. Even singing on these Christmas songs have been difficult.

Welcome Christmas
https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/welcome-christmas     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:01:51 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (MORE CHRISTMAS SONGS)
« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
2 more Yuletide tunes. Maybe only 2 left for the EP...

I don't think this is my best work or anything, not at all. In fact I was hoping these songs would turn out better than they have. We have "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" which has bad vocal sound though compared to my norm I don't my singing was...all that bad, I really did try you know, though I have "first word is way out of key" syndrome in all my music. I didn't use any effects of mixing on my voice just so it could sit semi natural on the track which is quieter than my music is normally. I didn't sing the second verse because I don't like the phrases "veiled in flesh", "Virgin's womb" and "Godhead see". That's like super early Black Metal kinda stuff.   

Next is "Linus and Lucy" which...is a bit out of my musical range but was very much worth trying. Really it's simple but it's that kind of, whatever the hell beat that I don't really know how to play. and the bass is so tough to keep up with I capo'ed on the third fret. The drums would be better if you could hear the rim hits better, which you can't...like at all. I cut out the swinging whatever part because man as if I know what to do in that kind of breakdown. So I just went 2% Sonic in the end. It's a 12-string, Strat and Jazzmaster track. I think I learnt something from recording it. I watched an interview with Kevin Shields and found a great trick for Jazzmasters is to wrap tape on the whammy so it sticks up a bit more which gives you better control when you strum and whammy it.

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/hark-the-herald-angels-sing

Linus and Lucy 
https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/linus-and-lucy 

I re-uploaded last years cover of "Santa Christ" as well, so that's a thing. The drums don't sound good but the guitars are better than I can do if I tried to re-do it. Plus I don't remember what chords to play over the melody, I tried to record it again and it didn't work. This works so I'll just use it again.   
https://soundcloud.com/kaijala/santa-christ   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:41:54 AM by Manimal Claus »