March 29, 2024, 04:00:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Music  (Read 124715 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW EP)
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
Kanttila : Melancholy 2020 (EP)

1. Hounds Relased
2. No Reality
3. I'm Gone
4. 1-866-WOW-DEAL

All songs written/performed by the Manimal

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/melancholy-2020-ep

For the first time since I started making music I've had amazing trouble just making an album. However I tried to kickstart myself with some more loose tracks and that came together in this EP. I left it as four songs because I felt it says all it needed to say, this EP is based fully on "I'm Gone" after all which is almost 9 minutes long itself. This is my most obvious Sonic Youth inspired music. The first part of "I'm Gone" instrumentally is really just my version of "Schizophrenia". Every song besides "Hounds Released" has an Alt-Tuning and an improvised structure. This lead to some different ideas.

At this point I'm having a super hard time making music that isn't like stuff I've already made. I feel I don't have any new ideas just ones I've used before. This is fully due to me not diversifying my musical abilities and looking for new avenues. I want to make more Goof Rock songs but I already made a whole double album of that (Aesthetic from 2017) and all my best albums are when I introduce new things to my music. I really came into my own when I made Aesthetic but I moved past that and by the time I got to Post America I found my genuine expression.

All you can do is express how you feel now which is what I did on this album. So I'm actually pretty happy with these four songs and I think it turned out decently. "Hounds Released" is my classic sort of Rock song. "No Reality" has one of my better vocals. "I'm Gone" is maybe nothing overly new for me but I wanted to make something that was more expressive and free in terms of length. "1-866-WOW-DEAL" is just a wacky piece based on a 2000's era Canadian commercial that used to come on when I watched the guide channel on my grandparent's ancient box TV. "I Travel 2000 dot com! Call 1-866-WOW DEAL! and get away for less".

So this is Melancholy 2020, it is what it is. I recorded it with a Blue Yeti so the sound is a bit better and I used my Jazzmaster on the majority of the EP. On my next set of songs I want to...sing more. There is actually not a ton of singing parts on this EP. I feel my voice is not great but I'm certainly a better singer than I was when I started and I have a much better idea of what my strengths are as a vocalist. I do wish I put more vocal parts in "I'm Gone" since that showcases my voice the best.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:48:58 AM by Manimal »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music
« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »
MY DUDE!

What a cool EP! The leaps and bounds you have made with recording are insane! Maybe balance the guitar volume with the drums a bit more (take them down if you can’t take the drums up) but that’s it! They actually add an interesting Lo-Fi feel to the songs :)

The drums were pretty much spot on the whole EP too, and you have gotten much more bold with fills which is cool to hear! And I know you’ve said about not having wires for your snare drum, but honestly Danny Carey doesn’t play with wires on his and he is practically a drumming god!

“I’m Gone”!? More like I’m Here!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
Thanks for listening! Ya I don't think you've heard my stuff for like 3 years now. Music to me is hammering out the garbage until it becomes something. I could certainly mix better that's for sure haha, the drums are difficult being one mic but with the Yeti it should be easier to get a better sound with the stereo mode if I mess around with that. I have the time but not the patience for mixing and getting the right tones.

If I was to share one track I've made that I think you might like it's "DiALONE" which I made last year.
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilamusic/dialone

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2020, 05:29:39 PM »
Is that.... a china!? In a Kantilla song!? I’m also trying to work out if those were death growls or Mongolian throat singing! Sweet song though, really DiALled up the aggression!  :sure:

You can definitely hear the difference with the Yeti :)

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »
50/90 has begun and I went for it. This song is just something I came up with real quick but recording it really pushed me. My vocals are, you know my vocals, and the lyrics aren't much but this song is all about the guitars anyway.

Stuck Outta Time
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/stuck-outta-time

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONGS)
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
50/90 update. I've been doing good, some pretty solid tunes by my standards. I think my music has suddenly got a lot better recently since I've taken a little more care recording. The first is a quick little ditty I made today and the second is one of my best songs I think!

One Fine Day (Anaheim 1976)
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/one-fine-day-anaheim-1976

Midnight Lost Child
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/midnight-lost-child

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:48 AM »
Is that vocal reverb!?

“Midnight Lost Child” is a pretty sweet song my dude, nice one!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
Thanks for listening! I use a little bit of reverb, just a bit. and I double certain parts.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »
So this is easily one of my best songs yet!

This is a collab with a friend from 50/90. I did the instrumental and we both worked out the lyrics and vocal melody. I tried my best to match her singing and I think it turned out pretty well. This is my big attempt at trying to make an anime type song, inspired by "RHYTHM EMOTION". 

Days Of Fire (Feat. cola)
https://soundcloud.com/kanttilapoika/days-of-fire-feat-cola

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 31, 2020, 01:33:10 PM »
I like it!
I'm not great with music reviews so I'll just spill my thoughts
-Melody was nice overall, a couple of places I didn't agree with, like the "You’ll climb" line, I expected it go up rather than down (the line felt more spoken than sung as well, this happened on a few words)
-Really nice lyrics and definitely anime vibes going on there. You couldn't tell this from anime lyrics, seriously.
-I cant quite explain it but both your and guest vocals felt like you were uncomfortable singing this genre, like they sort of occasionally had country (?) music sounding to them occasionally. I can't explain it. Not all the time, though. Like dropping the "g" off "-ing" words and saying "-in" (Beyond the weepin' Sunlight is sweepin') So it came across more casual than I expect an anime song.
-Music felt a little empty sometimes especially during non lyric sections, like it was missing an additional instrument like a bass, long notes or something. I don't know music so I don't know. I think there was a lot of bass that could have been there, maybe.
-I dont know if the guest was singing out of native accent but thats sort of what it felt like. Or just an interesting voice, I dont know :P wasn't bad to listen to at all, that's just how it felt.

It sounds like a lot of criticism but really I liked it :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2020, 01:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the critique! That's really valuable input. This is certainly not my comfort zone, and I know what you mean about Country, I feel like I slip into something like that often. I'm not a very proper singer so it's more difficult for me to do something with a fixed melody like this. 

and ya I love how anime songs have so much detail in the instrumentals, I just didn't know what to do though. I don't know music theory or anything practical so I have no ear for small details and such. The bassline was as simple as it gets also. I would say for my music this is a good step since it's something different and closer to my sort of ideal, there is always a lot of room to improve so I'm really happy you pointed all that out! Any input is always very helpful to me.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
anime songs have so much detail in the instrumentals, I just didn't know what to do though.
I totally get you on that, both muscially and artwise. Before posting I listened to a couple of my favourite anime songs to see what the music was like, and it's just a blur of stuff, I couldn't tell anything that was going on at all :P
Adding details in art is a similar thing - you can see it in other peoples work but you just can't figure out how to add it to your own.
I can't sing hardly at all :P
I record myself occasionally to see if I've gotten any better and, typically, I haven't :P
keep it up :)

maybe have you tried copying a favourite song (not necessarily all of it) as much as you can , and then compare the results to see how it differs? It's very useful with art and I wonder if that can translate to music.
learning to analyse music is probably very useful in this regard, both just researching what instruments/settings/notes an artist used, but also training your ear to recognise it yourself.

A phrase that I have when analysing  artists is "Why didn't I think of that?", trying to figure out my own thoughts(or lack thereof) and finding what thoughts I "should have had" to lead to that artwork that I really like. So not just casually kicking yourself "why didn't I think of that", but really "actually what is the reason why didn't I think of it?"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:05:52 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
I always have an amazement with J-Pop songs, I listen and think "how?". It's never as simple as it seems, Seiko Oomori's song "Nostalgic J-Pop" for instance kills me with it's melancholy instrumental, so many beeps and little details that are so powerful. I was listening to RHYTHM EMOTION to see what I could take but it's an Electro song so it's not as easy for me to translate that into guitar.

That would be a good idea to try instrumentally cover some K-On and Girls Dead Monster type songs, anime songs that are mostly guitar based. Yui's music also is my ideal, her songs are wonderful Pop Rock tracks with great guitar layering all over.  Thanks for all your advice, like I said it's always very helpful to me and I appreciate you taking the time to listen and type all this!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
No worries :P I don't comment too much on your music so when I do I try and make it worthwhile :P
Yeah I listened to RHYTHM EMOTION too it was more ballady with it's tone, not a modern anime song as they are now.
I hope to someday write my own lyrics and/or music. Starting from poems isn't a bad idea methinks.
Your melody was totally catchy though I keep finding myself whistling it haha
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:38:17 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 31, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
It’s definitely one of your best Manimal :) Cola sure has a good voice for this kind of song also! (When you sing “Days of Fire” it actually sounds similar to a vocal melody that my old band played back in the day!)

I would say that it could definitely benefit from having the chorus being faster. It sounds like the whole song is at a steady 140-somethingish BPM but your guitar is basically playing half time during the chorus which kinda slows it down. I would maybe suggest alternate picking or solid riffing instead of bends or long power chords if you want to build energy. I think the 140BPM range works well for the verses actually, and I am a fan of the beat pattern change-up in the second half of the verse/pre-chorus, but you can always tempo change for the chorus.

Also would have loved to hear more of a duet between your two vocals instead of all of the trading off, but I’m sure that there will be future songs to look forward to! ;D