September 26, 2018, 03:12:03 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Music  (Read 22379 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (2 NEW SONGS)
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Back in business. Returning from my trip to Kansas City where I had a valuable and amazing experience like no other with our resident Vacant, Coryn and Nairbons to go back to forum names. I wrote my whole next album with Nair's guitar, coming up with random ideas for songs wherever I could. This song for instance is all Vacant, he sang this ditty out of nowhere when we saw a Mr. Steak grill at Cabela's and this is the song that I worked on the most. I got back yesterday...or early today, and I feel terrible from lack of sleep but I needed to record. I'm currently in a weird state where I know the last week happened but now back at home I feel like I've lost my grip of reality and time...I need to sleep more tonight.

So the next set begins!

The Tragedy Of Mr. Steak 
https://soundcloud.com/barrygoldmanmusic/the-tragedy-of-mr-steak

A cutting edge song about Dunkin's and how it can't compete with Tims.

America Runs On Lies   
https://soundcloud.com/barrygoldmanmusic/america-runs-on-lies 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:28:34 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (NEW SONG)
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I reached the peak of the new songs with the first 2. Without realizing I made 2 of the best, tightest and melodically sound songs of mine. There is only one other song I worked on that much, the rest are just put it together the hope it works with lyrically inspiration I got all around from everywhere possible. It was such an eventful trip, months of happenings in a week, and I saw so many little things that I can base the whole album on my experience easily.

But man what a time it was, really one of the most important things to myself I've done in forever, and without a doubt the best week of my life since summer 2015. I realized what a vacation was actually like for once. It made me feel like the 6 months prior actually paid off. Now that I'm back of course it feels sad and like yup nothing changes, I guess the bummer of life is just that right, you work for those moments but they don't last very long and then you go back to just blah. This is obvious but only this year have I come to understand things better. There are little things along the way as well but it's so easy to just forget it and be like...ugh. Now it feels like...damn...having nothing to work towards or build up to in my life. But this is just the way things are.

This song is just, Eisenhower is in a lot of places in Kansas, from the state sign to the statue of him at the Legends mall, so we thought of Eisenhower's shower and came up with some rhymes that I used in the first verse. Musically I'm very happy with this track, one of my best solos as well. I've not developed a good fast playing technique, I just kind of found out one day after playing so long that I could solo faster than normal. But I'm not accurate or that tight with it quite yet.

Eisenhower's Theorem 
https://soundcloud.com/barrygoldmanmusic/eisenhowers-theorem 

This one is based on IHOP and buying a Chiyomi Anzai figure at the barren wasteland of a con we spent an hour in. Chiyomi is one of my favorite characters from a show I haven't seen because she's just funny anime girl Mussolini. I find Italian heritage and much of it's representation to be funny at times, there is that element of just goofiness that makes me love it and want to sing about it so often. So I did that again. IHOP was so American, and Vacant is some kind of weirdo that eats pancakes with a spoon and thinks it's desert food. 

International House Of Pain
https://soundcloud.com/barrygoldmanmusic/international-house-of-pain   

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
One morning in KC I wrote 5 songs, just the guitar parts. I asked Vacant want to write about and he said a love ballad. I was like "but I don't know love". Romantic of course lol it's not that rainy a song but now it seems more dramatic then I thought. Then I goofed a mock 50's song like in the intro here and I quickly was like damn this can be a song. It's the only time I've written about this actually, I've managed to avoid any kind of romance related song in the now 2 years I've been at it. "Superior" is the only other time I've written lyrics this real, but it's not a great lyric by any means. The track is alright by my standards, the mix sucks man I wish the bass could pop. I play my best on my songs and you never can hear the stupid bassline. Four acoustic tracks playing the same thing and 2 different ones. 

I Don't Know Love
https://soundcloud.com/barrygoldmanmusic/i-dont-know-love 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:53:00 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »
The confusing cycle of my musical name continues. But now it seems more firm. I went to Kanttila, then back to Barry Goldman, but I find Kanttila is the better one. I changed my Bandcamp to Kanttila.Bandcamp.com and kept all my albums the same, just to have that pile of my stuff there. I didn't change my old Soundcloud accounts, just my latest one. Barry Goldman works but it's just not a name I want to use anymore. I found out my old family name is more likely Maijala than Anttila. There are two differing sources on the blood line of my Great Great Aunt who was the first of any of my relatives to come to Canada and convinced my Grandparents to come also. Two different people uploaded profiles with different lines.

The point is I just wanted a name with a low key meaning like that, but I found Anttila might not be the name but whatever Kanttila sounds better than Kaijala anyway. It's a meaningless detail to all but myself. But the point is Kanttila has outta be the name now. I also deleted Provincial Matters out of existence. 
https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila 

Four songs left on my next album. This one is me trying to do country like the Dukes theme. It's the first song we came up with in KC. Just seeing all the blown out bits of tire on the highway made me go "real American garbage!". We saw a Yang Ming transport go by and Nair came up with that bit in this song. 

Real American Garbage
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/real-american-garbage

This is the second song I wrote there, I had trouble getting the right guitar tone but once I got it things worked just fine. Maybe it could be a little longer but I think it does what it should do. I'm really quite happy with this one, it was one of the ones I felt most confident in.

Country Club 
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/country-club 

I gotta do this again where I write the music for every song before making the album. It's really worked here when I have a bunch of stuff to record and the time to work on things a bit inbetween.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:36:26 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
Another song, just 3 more to do.

This one I wanted to be like a kind of early 80's AOR Rock song like Journey's "Stone In Love". It didn't end up that way so much. This is the Manhattan, KS song for the album, and it sort of connects with other lyrical themes of the last few albums. In a way it summarizes and resolves them. Vocally I am trying to figure out my voices with these songs, and see what I can do. It was a pain to sing this and get the right melody over the guitars. The main money in this song is the arpeggio bit anyway.

Maybe my songs are too rushed, I think this could've used another verse perhaps. I have a weird clock ticking when I make music that says, no don't make it too long! But this could've been longer. In many ways I have gotten so good at making my own songs that I have a book of tricks to pull from, I need to come up with some new ones for next time.

A Landscape New
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/a-landscape-new   

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Music (14th ALBUM COMPLETE)
« Reply #425 on: July 25, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »
Kanttila : Post America

1. The Tragedy Of Mr. Steak
2. I Don't Know Love
3. Power & Light
4. Country Club
5. America Runs On Lies
6. Eisenhower's Theorem
7. International House Of Pain
8. A Landscape New
9. Real American Garbage 
10. Last Chance Heroes 
11. Back In Canada   
12. Post America

All songs written & performed by the Manimal w/ help & inspiration from Simon, Matt & Brian

https://kanttila.bandcamp.com/album/post-america

and here it is, at last another album from me! It's only been since the end of March...which for me is a really big gap!

I've said it enough in the thread but this is the album based 100% on my amazing week long trip to Kansas City to meet resident Happy Hour dudes Vacant, Coryn & Nair. From hours after landing I was thinking of things to write about, Nair came up with the title and everyone came up with little bits. I tried to get all I could, and describe all the emotions I felt as it was a very introspective trip for me as well. My goal was to write 12 songs, so every morning I grabbed Nair's guitar and went at it. I didn't write all the lyrics and vocal melodies, which makes some later tracks suffer, but I had the bones down.

There is a story and meaning for every song, even "Eisenhower's Theorem" has Vacant coined lyrics. Me and him appear on the cover on July 4th when we went full on non-American American. I was looking for my representation everywhere though, any mention of Canada was exciting. This is really a special album for that regard, I had a goal and I did it. I captured the experience of a lifetime in my own way.

Barry Goldman's World Tour can't soon be topped as my best album, it's a craft and culmination as well as a general feeling I haven't got back. But this is easily my second best album. Although I would never put "Last Chance Heroes" if not for the rules I set for it. It feels nice to upload a 12 track album, it feels like it's meant to. Like I really did a complete album instead of just giving up and releasing what I got. I can say this is the complete Post American album, every song I wrote on Nair's kitchen table with help from my friends.

The inspiration just flew rapidly, my music had been going off since Skywalk. I didn't have a real solid backing to make an album off until now. It's been 2 years since I started making music and stuff like this tells me I still have something to say after all these songs. Of course there is still lots to improve on, especially with my singing, but whatever this album is a personal achievement and the result of a monumental week. I started recording within 12 or so hours of coming home, because it had to be done for myself. This time I can say, for the first time ever, I did everything I wanted to do with a project.

So here it is, another album of mine. An album that is Post America...(n trip).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:53:42 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
and the next set begins! Now we are post Post America and a month after Kansas I can say I've felt some things change in my life, not very many but lil' things, other things I've realized about myself that I'd like to change and so on. This is a strange time in my life compared to last year, slowly adult realities creep up and show themselves, and I find I am so strong with my sense of self, my strong grasp on my identity and my personal principals, but so weak in many regards. and I don't like this. In KC I thought so deeply about myself and my relations with others, as well as my place in the world and there where many times we where hanging out somewhere and my mind was a thousand miles away.

My place in the world has replaced idealization as the biggest theme in my music this year. With my music I find my expression to be stronger than ever, and I am slowly doing more what I'd like to, even if the results are never as good as what I wish they could be. This new song is Jangly and clearly based on the Smiths' "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle". Last album I hit a home-run for myself with milestone songs "Country Club", "A Landscape New" and "I Don't Know Love" so perhaps this album will be along those lines. Or maybe not, we'll see eh.

Save All You Can Hold   
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/save-all-you-can-hold 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:24:13 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 22, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Musically this is one of my top 10 songs yet! Singing is maybe weak but man this is one of those magic songs where I just had the idea and wrote it down quickly right before I recorded it. Things just came together. Lyrically it works as well, being about you know, wishing to not disrupt the natural order of things in life and how melancholic I feel when things change like that. But man this instrumental fricking is easily one of my very best yet. It jangles, it mangles and man this is the stuff I wanna be making. Boom boom, Natural Order.

Natural Order
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/natural-order

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Music
« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
>>save all you can hold
decent lyrics but a safe melody, so good but nothing-y at the same time
reminds me of all the clutter in my house and my room. I feel like getting rid of it all now :P

>>natural order
loved the build up on the chorus. lyrics were coolish. if not top 10 then definitely close :P
music was very nice and with the drums etc the instruments worked together to make the tune good.

good stuff keep it up :P

I think a lot of the time your voice skips out of melody to "speak" the lyrics, especially the last words of lines in some places. I've heard that style around, but it sounds like you do have the ability to hit the notes well, and hold them etc. Personally being a pop-only kinda music person I think that would sound better, but I don't know/forgot what sort of style you're going for.

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 23, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments! The first one I know what you mean, I basically wanted to make a low key arpegio type song, which normally I don't do songs that keep such a steady beat. I was aiming to make a song like this one. Here Johnny Marr plays the same thing the whole song while Morrisey just goes all over. I'm not so good with vocal melodies so my voice went flat during the non chorus bit. I was trying to learn this song but I had no patience to figure it out since Johnny Marr's parts are often too intricate for my patience, and a mistake in the tabs I was looking at had me coming up with my song. 

Haha, I'm going for my style! Really though I'd like to sing better, since J Pop is such a great inspiration of mine (that never comes through in my music) I would like more melodically sound songs but it's harder to make them. Often I struggle to make it through a song vocally, especially with my lyrics that don't always flow well. I figure my vocals are a lot better than 2 years ago but I haven't improved too much in the last year as well...I don't practice singing I just sing when it comes time to finish a song.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:48:53 AM by Manimal »

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:58 AM »
well the linked song sounds very similar to your one, so I think you got that spot on :P

often too intricate for my patience
Yeah patience is a difficult thing even for artists. If I've learnt anything over the last 7 or so years I've been drawing, it's that time invested in a piece is always worth it and the resulting quality will 99% of the time be much better than your usual work.

Yeah J-pop is pretty much all I listen to, although thats partly my otaku blood's fault :P
I don't practice singing I just sing when it comes time to finish a song.
Well if singing is anything like art, practice is very important! Try singing actual J-Pop songs and learning them (if you don't know a shred of Japanese that can be a tad difficult, but it's actually how I started learning the language), and trying to get as close to the originals as possible. Since you have something to compare to, you will be able to see where to improve and change.

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
It's a little too close for me but I went different places. I want to take more inspiration and try to really look at songs I love to see how I can well...make better songs.

J-Pop is such a pain to sing, unlike other songs I can listen to something 100 times and never be able to sing along because I don't know the words, only the sounds. I've been trying to do Seiko's "I Kill The Time 4 You" by printing the lyrics and going along with the song bit by bit to write what the words sound like. Seiko is hard since she goes all over, I love in J-Pop how natural the language works in song and how the singers stretch the words. I've tried to sing Yui and Utada songs. Yui is good to sing, I want to try songs like "Driving Happy Life" and "Summer Song" more. Easier to sing, Utada is next to impossible for a guy to sing.

I just love J-Pop so much, the tones are the best sounds in music for me. It fills something in that other music doesn't. All my top artists offer something different that is valuable in it's own way. There is a certain ideal and comfort. The feel and styles, I've never gotten sick of it. The anime stuff gets the same, but the good stuff is fricking good. I hope I can bring more of that into my music somehow. Seiko especially has this feeling that is unique in all the artists I love. J-Pop hits me different than something like Bruce (whom all the most meaningful music I've heard in my life is by) but it's still this valuable feeling I wish my music could feel like.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:17:03 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Good Ol' Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 23, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
Finally I have lifted myself from the rubble of nothingness that followed "Natural Order", atleast for the moment. I have been working on my music at the same pace but with no good results for the last month. After I squeezed the KC wave as much as I could I was left with a feeling of, k now what do I do? I made my big album that took everything in, than everything I made after was garbo compared. I made some quick tracks for 50/90 but none of them felt good, but finally I got a decent take of one song and the other just came about.

This is my spooky Halloween song of the year. I wanted to make a song that sounded foresty, and when I came up with the phrase Witchmaker I googled it to find a movie which I skimmed about to find some sort of inspiration for the tune. I have a new instrumental which is an e-bow, at last! I have wanted one for years based on Paul Stanley's use of it on Love Gun and his solo album. Than I realized Yui uses it heavily in her music which sounds awesome, so I had to make a song which could make good introduction of it. So I am happy with this one.

Sonderbar
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/sonderbar

The next is pretty simple, an album tier Kanttila goof rock song with some weird length of parts that came from mistakes in the guitar guide track that I rolled with. I have found, to advance Goof Rock I try to think of serious things to base the lyrics off and not vomit all over the track like I did last year with the worst moments on Aesthetic. I must destroy Barry Goldman Goof Rock, it got too much and I hate making songs that are worthless and mean literally nothing to me in a single regard. So this song is alright I suppose.

Get In The Robot
https://soundcloud.com/kanttila/get-in-the-robot 

I deleted Save All You Can Hold because it's waaaaay too close to "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle". When I played both back to back intros to my friends and they went "dude wtf" I knew it was too obvious. I love that song so much, it's perfect but I can't feel good about my music if I steal that clearly. So my next album is unknown at the moment, but unlike before where anything went, I find it better to try to make something actually not terrible, like I want to make a way better album than Post America, which is not so possible but who knows. Now that I set the bar higher with songs like Country Club and A Landscape New I outta top it somehow. So I do again. I Don't Know Love is not such an achievement for me anymore when I realized I used a dreaded 4 chord cliche. G, Em, C and D. But it actually has a good melody and the chorus changes so meh.

Also I had a big setback when I bust through my bass drum this morning, but I just gotta buy a new skin, as soon as possible. I was working on a song to, I tried to tape it up so I can get through the track but once I got to the wild ending where I go ham on the pedal and smash the drums up, it just tore more and more until I angrily ripped it apart....but alas. It took almost 9 years of abuse before finally the thing broke, and you know I stomp on that thing pretty hard. So that sucks but it can be solved. Also back to my old amp from last year, since I fried the one I'd been using all year when I did the lead of Natural Order. BAND-MAID has taken over from The Smiths as my mixtape on repeat in the car and musical obsession, and it's cold again so the seasons change and I hope my music can as well. I want to make Barry Goldman's World Tour 2 in terms of doing new things. But whatever I do is whatever I do so not even I know what my next album will be.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:13:40 PM by Manimal »