April 09, 2020, 05:55:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 2020 In Music  (Read 441 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
2020 In Music
« on: January 01, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »

2020 music. The songs are released and we talk about them. A general discussion thread for everything 2020 in music.

Seiko Oomori is releasing a 3 disc greatest hits album in February which I naturally pre-ordered. The tracklist is great and it seems like a nice package for a good price. SCANDAL has a new album "Kiss From The Darkness" coming in February also. There is an option to get it on record which I'm very tempted, however I don't like the album cover and I didn't like the last single so I'll wait until the album comes out to see if it's good enough to buy. Their last album Honey was their best so we'll see how this one is.

Now I wonder which artists who released albums in 2017 will have new ones this year. I sort of doubt we'll hear much from Lorde and who knows with Kendrick Lamar. Kesha has a new album coming in the next few weeks, her previous record Rainbow was actually pretty decent so I'll check that out. Megadeth is said to have a new album which...hhhm, isn't too exciting given their previous album lasted about 3 listens for me before I grew sick of it.

I want to find more new artists with exciting albums this year. More exciting discoveries like Wednesday Campanella's Superman in 2017 and Palm's Rock Island in 2018. We shall see what the year has in store for us in music and I'll be posting about what I find.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
Re: 2020 In Music
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:10:39 AM »
SCANDAL, Kiss From The Darkness 

Two years ago SCANDAL released Honey, an excellent album that showed their remarkable growth and maturity as artists. The group had been improving and evolving with every album since they started writing songs with Hello World. Kiss From The Darkness really dials back the raw edge of Honey and goes for a bigger production with some new sounds and approaches, but still having the same groove. "Tonight" and "Saishuu Heiki, Kimi" are more produced tracks with heavy use of stylized autotune. I didn't like the latter at first but it's sort of been growing on me, and "Tonight" has a lot of nice details to it. I don't like the effects on Haruna's vocals though. "Masterpiece" was an awesome single, with a great groove and classic SCANDAL feel. Tomomi sings again after an absence on Honey with "Laundry Laundry" which is a nice filled out acoustic based track. She also sings "Mabataki" a song I like a lot, with a really nice Spring breezy instrumental.

At first listen a good amount of the album comes and goes. Disappointingly Mami and Rina don't get a vocal spot. Overall this is a softer record, Rina's booming drum sound is scaled back and there are a lot more production tricks and details. There are good tunes like "Ceramic Blue" and "NEON TOWN ESCAPE" but they don't pop out too much. "Mabataki" is really good and so is "Masterpiece". "A.M.D.K.J." is the most rocking the album gets, when it kicks in at the end you realize how much you missed that heavy guitar sound. I like that SCANDAL have taken a new direction, songs like "Saishuu Heiki, Kimi" bring new style, I just don't think this album is as interesting as Yellow and Honey. Kiss From The Darkness is certainly not bad though and I'm sure more listens will make me like it more. SCANDAL are always growing and going in new directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71P55qhqaLs

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
Seiko Oomori Best Album 

A Seiko Oomori best album is bound to be a ride and this release cuts no corners with 44 songs spanning 3 CD’s and over 3 hours of music. Also included is a Blu-Ray of no less than 45 music videos, making it worthwhile. It also has a bunch of different cards so you can choose the album covers you want for both cases. They are all just weird artwork of food though, I would’ve prefered pictures or art of Seiko through her different looks but...you can’t have it all. On this release we have her early acoustic recordings sprinkled throughout, which was my one fear about this album. Thankfully there aren't too many and there are some good ones like "Amai".

There are some alternate versions which is quite unfortunate. I have no idea why there is a re-record of “Zettai Zetsubo Zekkoucho” when the original was fantastic. The mix stands out as poor compared to the rest of the compilation, I really dislike the horns on here. I was let down when the album opened with the excellent “Midnight Seijuniseikouyu” only to go into the subpar 2019 re-make of “Zettai Kanojo”. That said the day is saved when disc 3 ends with the original.

Disc 1 is solid, mostly Tokyo Black Hole and kitixxxgaia songs. “Re:Re: Love” is upfront, which is awesome and we have three of the most awesome album openers in J-Pop history,  “Tokyo Black Hole”, “Dogma, Magma” and “Shinigami”. Not sure why “Analog Syncopation” was included and I’m not crazy about “Kimokawa”. “Ryusei Heaven” is an awesome song on here which I sort of forgot about since it was on here rework album MUTEKI. 

Disc 2 starts with the rough new “Zettai Zetsubo Zekkoucho” but all is forgiven by the utterly invisible and awe inspiring rampage of songs that follows for the next 7 tracks. “I Kill The Time 4 You” is my favorite Seiko song and a top 5 J-Pop song. “JUSTadICE” followed by “Draw (A) Drow” is a brutally amazing one two punch that gets my blood boiling. I’ll never forget how excited I was when “Draw (A) Drow” came out and I watched it again and again, feeling the true power of Rock ‘n Roll. Then we have “POSITIVE STRESS”, “Choshinsedai Castella Standard Magic Maji Kiss”, “7:77” and “ZOC”. How’s that for a showing, jeez. The rest of the disc is fantastic. “Pink Methuselah” and “Orion” are really great. “Guttokuru Summer'' is one song I prefer on the album however, it’s weak on it’s own. Kitixxxgaia has such a rampage feel that many of it’s songs work better together. Same with “Shojo Manga Shonen Manga”. 

Disc 3 begins with an odd but okay Mondo Grosso remix of “PINK”. It features many of her Idol destruction songs like "Kyuru Kyuru", "IDOL SONG" and "GIRL'S GIRL". "Imitation Girl" is a shining piece of work that is a true masterpiece in her catalog and her only song like it. "Ash!teru.com" as well is always a joy. "Nostalgic J-Pop" is a truly evocative and melancholic masterwork. "Kimi Ni Todokuna" is also beautifully sad and a favorite. I was happy "Kodomo Ja Nai Monn 17" and "Mix Juice" were included, it was nice to listen and anticipate the next song. The only song I would've included on this album would be "Endless Dance" in place of "Analog Syncopation".

Seiko's music makes me happy, I had a great time listening to this album. Even if I had some complaints about versions of songs used it's a pretty amazing collection that has almost everything you need from Seiko. She is certainly an album artist and Sennou, Tokyo Black Hole and kitixxxgaia are meant to be listened to as wholes, but to have an album with singles like "draw (a) drow", "Re:Re: Love" and the MUTAKI songs included is awesome. The experience of just relaxing and listening to a Seiko album is great. Her songs have been important to me since I found her in 2016. "I Kill The Time 4 You", "draw (a) drow", "Shinigami, "Nostalgic J-Pop" and many more have soundtracked times in my life. This is the perfect time for Seiko to release this album, it's a really nice package.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:13:20 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:54:16 PM »
Haru Nemuri, LOVETHEISM (Mini Album) 

A new 7 song mini album from Haru Nemuri that serves as a great sort of expansion of Haru To Shura, with new sounds and ideas. There are some very good songs on here along with others that come and go. But on every track something interesting happens and there is a lot of creativity behind it. Haru raps away and let's her furious roar through every now and then. "Fanfare" is none too impressive with the cheesy keyboard horns, it's not bad but when it was released as a single I had low expectations for this EP. That said it instantly gets good with "Trust Nothing But Love" which is an awesome song and "Pink Unicorn" which is a SUPER cool. Oh wow Haru sounds like she's having a blast and trying all kinds of new deliveries. I can't help but feel there is some Seiko influence here, I love the "pink or die, pink or die, pink or die DIE!". "Riot" has a keyboard part that sounds like a Maison Book Girl song along with all kinds of cool instrumental elements. I think half of this mini album is excellent and the other half is good but comes and goes. This is a cool release anyway and I think it fits that it's not a full album. It shows Haru has new directions and places to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiuL-SVu94 

Dua Lipa, Future Nostalgia   

I haven't liked the styling of Pop in the last couple years, but I also haven't been seeking out a good new Pop album recently. Here comes Future Nostalgia an album, on first listen, has me here and there. Some songs stick, some parts of songs stick, some parts make me cringe, some songs suck, some are great. But there is something going on here though and it has some fantastic tracks. "Cool" is great and "Physical" is an absolutely fantastic stand-out! It's tuneful and her voice is good with some grit to it. She has a squeak in certain lines like Aina The End. The production has some strong disco elements, like string samples on tracks like "Love Again". "Don't Start Now" is certainly the hit that blends in with everything else of the time. I like the melodies in the chorus parts of "Future Nostalgia" but not the verses. I don't think it's a "futuristic" feeling album like the title says. This album is okay, I don't think I'll listen to the whole thing again but I really like "Physical" and "Cool".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HDEHj2yzew
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:38:58 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:36:19 PM »
Tame Impala, The Slow Rush 

I've never listened to Tame Impala...this is a good place to start! A delightful album with a great laid back vibe. The songs are rich with great production elements and reverb heavy vocals. I love the sound of this album, I instantly went to order the record, it has a feeling that I love. I can see myself listening to it many times, and it makes me want to go back to his other albums also. "Posthumous Forgiveness" has the opening riff of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name". I noticed right away. It was a neat nod, there was no way that wasn't intended it's the exact same guitar passage. "On Track" really stood out, "Lost In Yesterday"...most of the album. My attention went off a bit by the end but it was a very nice listen overall.

REOL, Kinjitou 

A high production flashy J-Pop Rap album with hard electro sounds and energetic progressions. REOL sings, raps and gives a fun performance throughout. That said I didn't care for it too much, the sort of K-Pop high production electro beats aren't for me. But the one two punch of "Hameln" and "Un, Deux, Trois" was very nice. They are more chill songs that I will certainly be listening to more. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for more so. Songs like "Insider" and "1LDK" had their moments as well. I think it's a well made album, just not my kind of things in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2TMt8xLxk 

iri, Sparkle 

iri recently caught my attention with the absolutely amazing song "Aitaiwa". I was happy to see she had a new album but it wasn't all that exciting. iri has a chill Pop Rap sort of style and she has a nice husky voice. Sparkle is a fairly generic album however, it comes and goes with no impact, a lot of songs feel the same. "SUMMER END" is the only highlight for me, that is a great track! Otherwise I thought this album was a bit of a letdown. It wasn't bad nor memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2lrXYmpi7w