August 16, 2018, 01:47:13 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Vampires, and Their Many Representations.  (Read 3173 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Vampires, and Their Many Representations.
« on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:53 AM »
Because child and sub-boards need a little love around here, and I need a better sleeping schedule so as that I'm not awake for all the odd slow hours where no one is doing anything. Why not be productive and share some stuff that I know a lot about and could maybe help someone with?

Now, the good stuff.

Vampires.

I've loved them personally ever since I was exceptionally young. I suppose you could say that I have a history with them, and boy do they have their own history.

Now, of course everybody's heard of Bram Stoker's Dracula, right? Well, funfact: about 25 years before its publication in May 1897, a humble little magazine published a small novella by Sheridan le Fanu called Carmilla. Why am I bringing that up? Well, firstly because I've never actually read through all of Dracula (gasp, the humanity! A fangbanger like me not having read the most prominent work of vampire fiction?!) and I find that Carmilla raises many interesting points in vampire fiction:

Firstly, Carmilla was a vampire who would walk in the daylight, although it exhausted her. Secondly, she had the ability to transform into a mist wherewhich she could move through locked doors and such. Thirdly, to be permanently gotten rid of, she required to be killed in a traditional sense, and was done so within her own coffin. Fourthly, she was arguably a lesbian. GG vampires, progressive since 1872.

Now, of course, Dracula brought many of his own perks to the vampire world, such as its association with bats, not to mention serves as one of the most recognizable and most adapted work in fang fiction. Both he and Carmilla share that old, gothic tone thanks to the era they were written in, which brings me back to another important part of their history: the lore behind how vampires as we know them came to be.

In olden times, people often could not understand death and its effects, and through traditional ghost story methods, people came to believe that old relatives could rise up from the grave and feed upon the remaining family members. Because of this, sometimes graves would be dug up, and if blood showed around the mouths, or hair had grown, it was viewed as a sign that they were one of these undead creatures. However, we now understand these processes to be natural post-mortum occurrences, such as the body expelling its insides and skin receding, hence perceived hair growth. The stake to the heart method of killing them was instilled to not just impale them, but to tie them to the grave in the same sense that you stake down a tent, so to speak.

History lesson aside, these days, they're seen as more glamorous and sexy, and I can't tell you exactly why, seeing as I haven't exactly read every work of vampire nature ever, although my guess would fall on Anne Rice being the culprit behind that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Rice and her works. I have read quite a few of them and plan on getting around to collecting them. I'm simply listing her as a heavy contributor to this type of vampire depiction.

In more recent times, we have things like the House of Night series, Vampire Academy, and Vampire Diaries, which are generally aimed at young adults and take place in a school setting to be more applicable, and I find this to be quite an interesting turn.

Here's where I'm going to get really conceptual, so please bear with me.

The reasoning, I think, behind this slow change derives from how society has viewed "monsters" in general. They were once terrifying in a world that could not be easily explained. Now that we have methods to explain these things, some of that fear has died down and we have drawn back and viewed these creatures as things to consider and study.

The concept of having to rely on blood for one's own survival is an interesting one, and reveals much about how society views blood itself. It has many associations today, since it comes from the heart, which we see metaphorically as a place of emotion, and it is also seen as the very source of our life. We know it is important, and it has been important to us since the dawn of time. The fact that it's so important makes it a little easier to understand just why a creature might rely on it for sustenance. Because of that, we have become less fearful and more sympathetic to the vampire.

Where exactly does that leave us as writers to work with?

Well, anywhere we want to take it, to put it simply. Over time, vampires have acquired quite some reputation and following. I, myself, am one of those people. We have come to romanticize the vampire into various types, and here's where I plan to get a little helpful, and since a lot of these ideologies I reflect on from a book, I'll just go ahead and give a kudos to Meredith Woerner's Vampire Taxonomy.

There are a few easily recognizable vampire archetypes, such as the old aristocrat, the tragic hero, the romantic, the top dog, the elder, the fledgeling, and even old child vampires. They have such a variety of characters to write for that it's easy to create a supernatural element in any story with them. These days, we tend to romanticize their features, but it's also understandable to make them look more undead, bony, and perhaps with a more terrifying set of pearly whites than just a slight canine extension. They're a versatile bunch, and could have many uses depending on what kind of supernatural story you want to work with. Even if you have a subgenre, you can still make use of most archetypes that exist.

Outside of character traits, of course, you have their lovely abilities. From mind control to extreme feats of strength and agility, vampires have become peculiarly popular among being ability hogs. Perhaps this relates back to what I said about the way we perceive blood as a life force, and because of their "increased" life force by means of ingestion, they receive some greater power, or perhaps because of our association with age and intelligence, since the fact that blood covers the "practically immortal" aspect many people bring to vampires gives way to them living beyond the range of the average human, we see them as being wiser, and thus more mentally capable, having had much time to learn all sorts of things.

Their association with night came from history, in which the undead creatures predating our glamorized literature were often "sighted" by family members or victims around nightfall. We associate the night with mystery and the unseen. Because of that, vampires have a knack for being associated with "hiding" and "mystery" themselves, although when you think about it, they're quite simple. In that simplicity arose our variety of archetypes, and through their various sub-associations, these powers, and to top it off, they're "mysterious."

All of this can pave the way for an extremely interesting character, because people love solving mysteries, they love sympathizing with something tragic, they love the "struggle for humanity in a monster" shtick, and they love something fresh, and what we as the writers want to offer is generally a fresh view or idea regarding something.

I, myself, as a writer, would prefer to write about a vampire that lacks that romanticized control, yet maintains that aspect of knowledge. That type would be more aggressive and brutish, but able to learn as their time goes on. I would capitalize on the focus on blood, and make it overarch into the vampires' mindsets on other subjects.

Now, here's where the discussion begins. Are there any vampire archetypes I may have glossed over? Any particular abilities associated with the fangs that I didn't quite mention? Are you going to point out that I purposely colored the word "blood" red at every instance, and that I didn't make mention of that series with a title that refers to the time of day between afternoon, evening, and night? Favorite vampire characters in fiction? So on and so forth. Let this thread go anywhere, and hopefully something I said in this huge textwall (gods bless you if you actually read through the whole thing) will inspire you or get your gears turning.

Note: yes, I referred to myself as "fangbanger", despite the fact that it's generally used as a derogatory term.

Offline Jackhammer

• Propagator of unusual plot lines. Master out-of-context.
  • I am me. Are you you?
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires, and Their Many Representations.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
Vampires... If there is one thing I would consider a phobia for myself that would be Vampires. It's the neckbiting. Seriously. Even the earliest movies are something I can't completely watch. My wife finds it hilarious and I do agree, but she doesn't have any fear for them. And she doesn't feel the fangs piercing your skin, the feeling of blood drained from your body and the following queesiness...

I like to write about vampires. Anne Rice is the main culprit behind my love for them. Though she depicts them as a tad bit too glamorous, I still think interview with a vampire is the penultimate modern vampire book (the movie S.U.C.K.S donkey b***s).

My current story on the forum does contain vampires, though I have yet to introduce them. I plan on using a parasite as the cause of vampyrism. Much like the Goa'Ulds from Stargate.

I like them to be a suffering kind. They were human, now it's stolen from them. They were mortal, now they have to live eternally (or go insane and suicide after a few hundred years). They had emotions, passions, future. Now all they have is an endless craving for blood that is both a necessity as anew only pleasure in a life that is doomed to be lived under the pale moon in eternal darkness with no warmth or affection from your fellow human.
Health is a relative thing.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
Vampire Breeding! Yes, I know, no one ever talks about breeding in general, but don't you find it curious how the bite of a vampire turns you into a vampire too? And the immortality thing too, how would that work?  :-\

If you consider normal reproductive methods, vampires should be able to go about the same way, considering nothing has changed except enhanced abilities... then again the bite might have turned them sterile!  :ohmy: I mean, the last thing you want to have is an immortal baby... and how would that work? Would the baby obtain the wisdom of a 100-year-old man and be cursed to wear clothing in the baby's section for eternity? All while purposefully biting the nips of a mother for the sweet, red nectar?  :hmm:

Technicalities... :unsure:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
I can understand not liking the idea of having your neck bitten, or being bitten by a vampire in general. I, for one, have no idea where this glamorized "being bitten feels good" idea ever came from. Like, giving blood makes you feel like crap but you get a cookie for doing it, but with vampires, you're lucky if you get even that much and not your wits scared out of you at the very least.

Ah yeah, Interview with a Vampire did a poor job capturing a lot of the mood of the book. I like Rice's writing in that regard. She knows how to set the stage to make the situations she brings actually affect the reader.

Yes, I also agree that suffering vampires are some of the most juicy writing material to work with.

I used to have a vampire character overarching in my story, but I scrapped that idea to simplify my world quite a bit. As for right now, do I have an idea character on the backburner who is similar to that suffering type. She dealt with her change by becoming a hermit in a grand library and learning all she could, using knowledge as her mind's preoccupation for boredom of immortality. Sadly, instead of working to her benefit, she has all this knowledge and then has to deal with how dumb humans can be without it, and it didn't stop her cravings for blood.

As for breeding, there are many ways of looking at vampirism to determine how to make other vampires. There was a science-fiction based idea vampire hoax site here that describes one very interesting way of looking at how passing down the idea works, as well as a realistic take on vampirism in general.

I'd assume after being around long enough, most vampires would become infertile despite their young appearance, and that women would still go through something like menopause. If a vampire were to conceive, again, taking from that site, natural genetics would kick in depending on the other partner's genetics the baby could have plenty of mixed results.

It's certainly something to think about when writing for vampires, and is also certainly underaddressed. I would assume a natural born vampire would reach a certain age of maturity, that is, a reproductive age, before they would achieve that "ageless" ideology, because scientifically speaking, all creatures should be able to reach a reproductive age. How quickly that process takes would ultimately be up to the writer.

Child vampires are something I mentioned based on Anne Rice's character Claudia, but her vampires are a type to die at their turning and thus have the same body age appearance. That could also explain something like vampire immortality, since hers are more of an undead sort, and also explain why they are apparently infertile and can only create "children" through sharing their curse.

Edit: If a vampire was looking to make a halfling with a human female, I am not object to the idea.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:20:42 PM by MahluaandMilk »

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:30:16 PM »
I particularly like the way some vampire movies in recent times classify vampires as a result of a viral infection rather than some supernatural curse. Films such as Underworld and Daybreaker touch upon these topics in a way older vampire literature hasn't, by adding science-fiction into the mixture.

This is particularly the kind of approach I went for when introducing vampires into my own story (Yes, there are vampires in my story, for the few of you who know my works).

Vampires in my story are a result of a military experiment in the creation of supersoldiers. Genetic technology had advanced far enough to allow for the modification and implementation of different genes within organisms, including humans. Splicing was one the techniques used to implement these different genes. One of those supersoldiers was given the genes of a vampire bat as a way to detect enemy troops from long distances. However the implementation was... primitive at best, leading to some characteristics to become more apparent than others, the desire for blood being the most prominent. The imperfect splicing also led to other unforseen side-effects, such as severe skin burning in the presence of UV-radiation and some blindness in brightly-lit areas. The supersoldier escaped captivity along with various other test subjects during a shipping accident, allowing him and the other experiments to escape into the world.

In regards to immortality, I threw that away altogether and instead explained it as a myth created by locals as a result of the supersoldier's youthful appearance over the years. Although his outward appearance remains the same, his inner body goes through the same aging process as anyone else. The supersoldier can infect others with his bite just any other vampire via virus, giving others the same traits he has as a result. These ones I classify as Infected Vampires. Ones born of normal conception, either from a vampire mother or father, however do not retain some of the key aspects that "Infected" vampires have, notably the lack of skin-burning and the ability to digest normal food, not relying solely on blood for sustenance. These I classify as Natural Vampires, though the name seems contradictory to what many believe vampires to be. Conception does not produce the same results as genes modified directly by the virus, so much of the errors resulting from the forced splicing do not appear.

Typical of any Vampire, they all have enhanced strength. This is a result of the gene splicing from the labs, though this particular trait did not come from the splicing of vampire bat genes, but a different animal altogether. Why these spliced genes were able to be kept during contraception and not the others remains a mystery...

Kinda rambled on there about how my own vampires worked, but now I'm interested in what kind of things you guys put for your vampires!  :biggrin:  If you have them...  8)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
Vampires in my story are a result of a military experiment in the creation of supersoldiers. Genetic technology had advanced far enough to allow for the modification and implementation of different genes within organisms, including humans. Splicing was one the techniques used to implement these different genes. One of those supersoldiers was given the genes of a vampire bat as a way to detect enemy troops from long distances. However the implementation was... primitive at best, leading to some characteristics to become more apparent than others, the desire for blood being the most prominent. The imperfect splicing also led to other unforseen side-effects, such as severe skin burning in the presence of UV-radiation and some blindness in brightly-lit areas. The supersoldier escaped captivity along with various other test subjects during a shipping accident, allowing him and the other experiments to escape into the world.

In regards to immortality, I threw that away altogether and instead explained it as a myth created by locals as a result of the supersoldier's youthful appearance over the years. Although his outward appearance remains the same, his inner body goes through the same aging process as anyone else. The supersoldier can infect others with his bite just any other vampire via virus, giving others the same traits he has as a result. These ones I classify as Infected Vampires. Ones born of normal conception, either from a vampire mother or father, however do not retain some of the key aspects that "Infected" vampires have, notably the lack of skin-burning and the ability to digest normal food, not relying solely on blood for sustenance. These I classify as Natural Vampires, though the name seems contradictory to what many believe vampires to be. Conception does not produce the same results as genes modified directly by the virus, so much of the errors resulting from the forced splicing do not appear.

Yes, this is quite an interesting approach. Again I point to that website I shared for more of that kind of science-fiction believably to vampirism. It is a new spin on a classic old tale, and again, I think it ties back to our fear yet recognition for the value of our own blood that these creatures keep evolving in their portrayal in modern literature.

Offline ToxicWaste97

• Random Idea Generator
  • So many ideas, so little motivation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »
Just butting in, but I am currently making an rpg with vampires as a weird game mechanic. I really wanted to make a different kind of vampire.

The idea is that vampires, instead of draining blood, drain a person's literal life-force to get sustenance, and are able to copy the abilities of any character they use their vampiric drain ability on. Instead of being the super-strong and super-fast predators we currently think of, these vampires are more slow and methodical with their actions, as most of their power comes from their absorption of other being's magical life force.

You can become a vampire in the world of my game by one of two methods: signing a special contract with the god of death or by having a vampire force some of their life force into you. The first method creates a "Pure Vampire," who is literally immortal, only needing to drain from mortals in order to attain magical prowess. The second creates the traditional idea of a vampire, where they must drain from mortals to stay young. This is because only the god of death is capable of creating a perfect state of undeath, anything else is a hollow fraud.

Vampires are also unique in that they cannot be healed by another person. Only draining life force or waiting for the wound to heal can fix them physically. If killed, a vampire cannot be resurrected, as they are undead, and can only come back to life with the goddess of life's permission.

In the world of my game, vampires are indistinguishable from humans, except for the trademark fangs. These fangs were once used for the traditional purpose of draining blood, but once it was discovered that the same effect can be reached with a simple spell, the fangs became obsolete.

Vampires, being essentially highly intelligent undead mages, are weak to spells specializing in killing undead beings. They are also weakened, but not harmed, by any kind of light. Yes, this includes sunlight, moonlight, and candlelight. This leads to vampires preferring to live in dark, abandoned locations.

One of the main antagonists is a vampire-demigod who wants to bring about the end of the world. There are also  a few other vampire characters outside of the random encounters the player must fight. I hope that I get some feedback regarding my version of the vampire so that I can write these characters.
Inspiration from the strangest places is often the most welcome.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
Your vampires seem to have a similar mark to something called a psychic vampire, in that draining of the life force kind of thing. It is quite an interesting way of looking at it, and again, I point to the metaphor of blood as the elixir of life, such that in the past the fangs, now obsolete, were used to drain blood which I assume contain the essence of life in some capacity.

I like this idea of a contract-with-death vampire, again focusing on more of the undead aspect and keeping it more true to an undead nature. I feel like a lot of writers (looking particularly at those young adult romance writers) tend to heavily gloss over anything like that aspect, although in some cases I suppose they can pass for not being the undead sort.

Regardless of that, the type of vampire and the methods behind them make sense in your story, and if you're looking for feedback, I can say as an enthusiast for these creatures that I understand the logistics of your processes and highly approve of the utilization and purpose of the vampire in your RPG. Sounds like a game that I'd play.

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 05:38:10 AM »
I also enjoy vampire lore, but I also enjoy a lot of mythological folklore. My current obsession being kitsunes but anyways, back to vampires, lol. I for one have always liked the 'pure'-blood idea. I know a lot of series base off something of that sort. Ya'know, where the pure bloods being higher in the system while tainted(changelings) being seen lower and sometimes as low as humans. The humans being seen as merely cattle in most of those scenarios. Which just opens up the commonly used character development: turned vamp feeling outcasted and struggles with consuming blood, while is also being constantly reminded of how impure they are. No doubly used as 'slaves' or underdogs which tears away at their pride and once upon a time 'humanity'. A human like pride. Which eventually that changeling will rise up and show that they can hold their ground with the best of the pure-bloods. Etc. etc.  :tongue:

On another idea; I also like vampires that when choosing to change somebody they have the ability to pick if that person will be their companion of equal rights or a brainless pet that is basically a meat shield. I.e, a ghoul. Though those vampires tend to be older or/and stronger to do such things. Either young ones only being able to make ghouls and older ones having more control in which given the option to make another 'vamp'. Or vise-versa. Which may depend on if the story revolves around needing a army (war/battles). This may be because I like Hellsing Ultimate more then I should though.  :blush:

For both of those style of lore I like, I still think blood sharing is still my favorite changing tool. When the prey is practically on their dying bed, drained to the edge of unconsciousness, and the predator has to give them a taste (a pint in theory) of their tainted/royal blood to kick start the change.  :D

Anyways, that's my thoughts on this subject.  :heart:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:40:08 AM by RaziKitsune »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Yes, a dynamic of aristocracy among vampires is another common feature, although I tend to see that dying out these days. I could be wrong, there, though, but it would be quite a shame.

As someone who also loves Hellsing Ultimate, albeit for slightly different reasons, perhaps, I can certainly agree with where that idea of raising a vampire army comes from, and how easy it would be to implement among semi-undead and the true, more powerful undead. (Speaking of, Zorin's abilities of illusion are gold and I'm going to stop there before I start using food words to describe them.)

Blood sharing is also one of my favorite methods of changing, and it makes sense in that regard, because what happens if you ingest the blood of someone with certain diseases? You get infected! The same could therefore apply to something more supernatural. The simplicity of it is what makes it so brilliant.

Offline MrThirtyTwo

• Gotta love manga/anmie
  • Im an Idea maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
My Lord woman you sure can write alot on the topic of vampires. Took me like 20 minutes to read all that ( and understand it, so I had to back track a couple times and reread it at some points). I myself love vampires and no I can't get enough of them. I mean I am currently trying to write my own manga (sadly no vampires), but I'm currently having trouble with that. On that note I plan on holding several contests to help me on this matter, as some will be mobster creations.i know this is for vampires but since you know so much on vampires, I was hoping you could shed some light on monsters creation. I ask because I need animals in my manga to populate the planet I'll be writing on lol.
Im a beginner in writing manga, i look forward in making friends here as well able to publish manga. This is were i will begin. :)~

Offline Shinpi Tekina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I actually read that vampire hoax site before a long time ago. Do you know what made you like vampires? For me i think it was the movie " 30 days of night" you should watch it if you haven't seen it. I somewhat love your blood it taste like milk, that was random anyways.

I did read your whole post i'm glad i read it. My first vampire novel I started was for a class assignment in elementary 5th grade i think.  It was about well the plot was like these group of kids walking home from school, and they were discussing how like vampire are going to come down from another dimension and feast on the flesh of us humans. but i didn't even write a full chapter of it really. and i had to rewrite everything from memory recently but now i'm like older and my story i worry it won't be authentic anymore.

I may post it here, well i did post my Sapphire vampire story but kinda deleted but anyways what i want to tell you my like vampire archetypes, for V-day i wanted them to be winged vampires but now i'm thinking they are like an advance intergalactic civilization as well. because they would like have to be if they have warp travel. kinda like that movie " Jupiter ascending". but possibility it could be done with magic instead (yeah i did recently develop a passion for creating magic systems)

I really wanted the vampires in V-Day to be frightening.  Also i'm glad you mention  that Novella about that female vampire that was before Dracula never heard of her. I was looking for like a way for the hero to be forewarn of the vampire coming or something. I thought of like that call upon bloody Mary spirit or something of that sort.

In sapphire there like a supernatural force that takes over someone and urge them to feed on blood but its actually blood lust and human emotion it feeds on. the vampire in this novel he uses drugs to suppress the urge to feed on blood. he instead tricks his body that he did drink blood by imagining a massacre in his head when high. Currently, he was befriended by human she like a care taker not necessarily a lover  but she yearns for love. He helps get illegal drugs etc. the problem that arise is romance began to start between them and love is like new urge from him to devour. because the drugs stop working and like. ----well in his past he devoured many lovers and constantly repeats this cycle. his past killings those memories regress. the current like lover found him crying and memory lost.  i'm thinking now that she may have once been a mother but lost her child but idk. I originally had a female sapphire/vampire in mind first. with and uncontrollable blood lust.  Also there eyes like change colors thus the name sapphire. they are sapphire eyed vampires. the eyes change colors based on there emotions but there motions or like always conflicted or confused.( i'm thinking of making it part of vampire dairies world and lore) 

another vampire story i started is called soul vampire he devour a soul by accident basically and i'm thinking of making him into a shape shiftier and like a lot of problems arises.this post is getting a bit long.

the other one is set in the future and a like cult family created a designer baby that was a vampire something of that sort. also there a detective in this universe that reanimates the dead hmmm i think maybe just the victims from the vampire killings. like the venom left over from his bloodsucking in the victims is what made it possible for him to reanimate the dead. 

that's about all I may go back and continue my V-day story but the grammar is not good. And i did it first person. but idk the story is interesting and i originally want it to be a movie anyway. and i want sapphire to be a tv series or maybe a short film.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
My Lord woman you sure can write alot on the topic of vampires. Took me like 20 minutes to read all that ( and understand it, so I had to back track a couple times and reread it at some points).

Yeah, sometimes I can really get on a roll and can't shut up. Sorry if things seemed unclear. I get a little too excited sometimes.

[ . . . ] I was hoping you could shed some light on monsters creation.

Well, that depends on the type of monster you're going for. I think you're talking about something original, and the best I can give on that off the top of my head is to think about animals and aliens. Humans are squishy and fragile and not hard to kill, and usually a monster is deemed as something that can go and do that. It explains the common fear of sharks, snakes, spiders, and etc., even if they aren't really responsible for high numbers of deaths.

I actually read that vampire hoax site before a long time ago. Do you know what made you like vampires?

Neato. I figured that'd been around a while.

I'm not sure, really. I knew I liked them at least around the release of the Scooby-Doo and the Legend of the Vampire movie was released. Then again, I was (and still am) absolutely infatuated with the Hex Girls, and their gimmick is a little close to vampire territory.

I somewhat love your blood it taste like milk, that was random anyways.

(Ow.) Funny, since the first part of my name is the name of an alcohol with only the first letter changed. Good to know my BAC is legal.

Also i'm glad you mention  that Novella about that female vampire that was before Dracula never heard of her.

Carmilla is my queen. Like, mmmm, vampire lesbian? Yes please.

I was looking for like a way for the hero to be forewarn of the vampire coming or something. I thought of like that call upon bloody Mary spirit or something of that sort.

In a lot of supernatural environments, it's said that animals sense things long before humans due to a different range of perception. Dogs barking and growling, cats sulking off more than usual and hissing, birds leaving an area, and a lot on insects either being drawn in or repelled also, sometimes leaving the area unsettlingly quiet. Once everything else has made the move to gtfo, only then to humans generally notice something fishy.

In sapphire there like a supernatural force that takes over someone and urge them to feed on blood but its actually blood lust and human emotion it feeds on.

That's certainly an interesting new way to look at the vampiric condition. Much less heavy on the undead aspects and instead it focuses on very real human issues. It could get psychological and philosophical very quickly. As far as developing that story, I'd say you're probably off to a good start keeping close to that concept and lessening the influence of more minor associations. It'd be a work that reveals a lot about the human condition, and you could make a lot of statements through the intentions and underlying messages of it. Of course, if you have me thinking on it too long, this thread would turn into a very different kind of rambling. In short, I think it's a fangtastic idea.

Online OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
Vampires are fun to write, despite my inexperience with them. I've only written vampires (including Carmilla) in Death by Ex-Girlfriend, so I don't have too much experience with them outside of that and reading a few chapters of Carmilla. It was kind of tough figuring out how I wanted to handle vampires in the story.

:read: In that story, vampires, and most other supernatural beings/races like werewolves, succubi, and Jikininki, can trace the beginnings of their race back to the transgression of certain taboos. Succubi were born when humans broke the taboo of incest. Werewolves were born when humans broke the taboo of eating carnivorous animals (mainly wolves). Vampires were born upon the transgression of the cannibalism taboo. Henceforth, Vampires lived among human societies, often as secret cannibals, for thousands of years, evolving and changing along the way.

Vampires didn't form a unified society until the rise of Vlad III, otherwise known as Vlad Dracul or Vlad the Impaler.

It's believed among Vampires that Vlad was the turning point in vampirical evolution, for he was the first to become a vampire without having to die. This meant that, unlike the more ancient forms of vampire, Vlad could walk beneath sunlight without any harm coming to him. Also, kind of going against what I tend to see in vampire related media, I decided that vampires were actually allied with the Catholic church for a while, instead of diametrically opposed to it. Vlad fought to defend the faith in his life, and with the help of a young vampire named Annabel (of the Holy Roman Empire, descendant of Charlemagne), vampires forged a good relationship with the church.

Essentially, the deal between them was that the church wouldn't utilize its inquisition offices to drive the vampires out of Europe if they swore to fight on the side and request of the church, mainly to destroy foreign supernatural beings, pagans, and polytheistic pantheons.   :clapping: And so, Vampires became the most dominant supernatural race throughout Europe and even the Middle East. That era of conflict between the Church, Vampires, and any other foreign supernatural force in the Middle East and Asia Minor came to be known as the First Great Holy War.

Now, I also decided that Vlad and Count Dracula were two different people. Actually, Dracula's descendant in the story, Hima Chinagaregawa, explained that its extremely offensive when people get the two mixed up.  :ninja: So, Vlad dies, Count Dracula becomes the next king of the Vampirical Monarchy. Of course, Dracula was much more powerful than Vlad, being able to communicate with animals, regenerate wounds instantly, and walk through solid objects. With their increasingly powerful bloodline, vampires decide to take their conquest further and conquer nearly all of Eurasia. They almost succeeded.  :ninja:

This ties in with another very long set of events concerning the Japanese pantheon and the goddess Izanami, but basically...Izanami started the Black Death that swept through Europe before Vlad's time, as an act of revenge. Historically, the Black Plague kept coming back to parts of Eurasia in waves even after the worst of it in the 14th century, and Count Dracula was unfortunate enough to have sucked the blood of a human afflicted with it. He died, but not before secretly facilitating the birth of his heiress, which was Hima, with Carmilla's help. Carmilla was like Dracula's right hand gal during all of this.

:hmm: Vampires ended up going to war with the Shinto pantheon during Dracula's illness, and due to some internal cheating on behalf of the Shinto pantheon, the Vampires lost. Badly. Their entire kingdom was destroyed and the vampires were all split up, scattered across the world in thin numbers, on the brink of extinction. They were allowed to live their lives "freely, among humans", which was really just a ruse to get the vampires to keep interbreeding with humans and other supernatural races outside of their own, so they could literally breed out their abilities.

They also lost territory in Europe when the church underwent the Protestant Reformation, and the continuing divide that ensued with the Counter-Reformation, leading to the church expurgating the vampires and banishing them from society. So, the whole thing fell apart. Hima and Annabel stuck together, staying in a castle in the Welsh countryside. Osamu, the MC, would later come to them for help after the Japanese pantheon tries to organize a hit on him, bargaining his divine blood and heart for their assistance in keeping all the girls safe.

The only real safe haven the vampires had at that point was in Yakutsk, the coldest city in the world. Carmilla, and a ring of Russian vampires kept a small vampirical state there until Hima and Osamu later brought about the revival of the Vampirical Monarchy. And yes, though Carmilla attacks Osamu in a seemingly sexual way after catching the smell of his divine blood, she subsequently revealed she was a lesbian, and that she only reacted that way because Osamu smelled extremely nice.

In reality, it was Annabel's then-loli body that she was really lusting after  :heart: Carmilla and Hima both wear rather lavish crosses around their necks, symbolizing their undying commitment to the cross. It's the church as an institution that they harbor bitterness for, especially for their betrayal of the vampire race, which made them unwelcome on their own home continent.

That somewhat lays out the history vampires have in my story, not sure if that's a quality way to handle it or not, but it's what I came up with. They can also share blood with humans or other foreign, supernatural beings to temporarily lend them some of their vampire powers. This is simply done by the vampire biting their own lip until they draw blood and kissing the recipient, making him/her swallow it.

:hmm: Ah, and the word "Nosferatu" is EXTREMELY offensive towards vampires. It's like the N word for Vampires. Well, I mean, it is an N word, but you know what I mean. Hima said the church labeled them with that shameful name after their betrayal following the Vampires' loss in the Second Great Holy War with Japan.

Also, Van Helsing was like the John Wayne Gacy of vampire killers.