April 18, 2024, 01:24:40 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: The 5 Eyes Workshop  (Read 16194 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
The 5 Eyes Workshop
« on: June 05, 2016, 07:07:18 AM »
THE FIVE EYES WORKSHOP

Spoiler
Spoiler

- Draw 5 or more pairs of eyes per productive post (Lesser amount of sketches won't be counted. No skill level barriers)
- Comment on earlier drawn eyes. (This is not a workshop to just showcase your own progress! Talk with others)

Undeniably one of the most characteristic things of anime, the eyes! No matter if something has the most unique art style, one good hint that a work is a manga or anime is the eyes. Of course, there are exceptions, so try to work on your own styles as well.

Eyes are the windows to the soul. In so many ways, the eyes make the character. If the reader cannot see  their emotion or identify with them by their facial expressions, then you lose a vital part of the manga making process.

Have fun, and draw!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:01:49 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: The 5 Eyes Workshop
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »
dont tell me you plan on doing "5 XYZ Workshop" for every body part :P

not that i mind, and i certainly plan on joining every one :P
i tend do draw 10-20+ when i draw things, as that helps to understand the variance between people more. thats my only advice :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Haha I'm actually going to make one for feet next. I'd have a general 'Draw 5' Anatomy workshop with a new body part every week, but I want some more workshops that members can find over time and get in and out of whenever they like.

Would love to see you jump in for sure Super. And yeah I noticed that lots of sketches thing you do. The number is there to also motivate me haha. I'm failing so badly at 20 sketches every three days so I thought id make something lighter

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
I try to stay away from the big eye style when people think of anime. I usually sketch in pencil until i like the eye design. Today i didn't because i couldn't find a single pencil in my house. So this set is entirely done on a tablet, which i am not use to yet, but the convenience of copying the other eye comes in handy.  I am going for adult eyes. Or at least, semi realistic eyes. I hope this helps. I randomly colored it in just i could make them look different.

Also, it took me forever trying to come up with the shape designs. For some reason it is a lot easier for me with a pencil. I kept starting over on the tablet.

Spoiler

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
Not bad Forlorn Serpent, they are all different from each other and have personality, but did you just draw one and flip? That makes it easy sure and yes drawing two eyes that look the same, super hard, but it's important to practice that.

I referenced these. One thing to keep in mind is not all eyes are even. In the second one I drew Ace Frehley who has lopsided eyes.

Spoiler

With anime eyes I like simple ones the best, Kyoto Ani are the masters of cute characters. By keeping the eye sizes smaller but still stylized they create wonderful looking characters.
Spoiler

When I draw eyes in my comics I go for a realistic look with cartoony flairs. I've been working on a good look for a while.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »
Ah man I cheated?  Yeah I copied flipped each eye to make them symmetrical. I only do this when it is a straight view. I'll try again.

Maninal, is that a spongebob character getting his eyes struck by lightning or something?

Also, from your big eye list, left to right, top down, is it boy, boy, girl, boy, girl?

I have trouble doing guy eyes. I usually look at Kubo's work for reference.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:37:11 PM by Forlorn Serpent »

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 05:07:26 PM »
Ha ha, it's alright man just some advice to help you practice. I've certainly done the same thing before, it's a temptation with digital work, but I think it's a short cut that will make you skip out on something important.

That's the classic scene from the movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkLBtSGKMo

Your order is right yes. Guy eyes can be hard sometimes but never forgot the best reference is real life! :dance: 

Offline Froggy

• I like frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:01:58 AM »
Forlorn Serpent, I like all the different shapes of your eyes. I personally think the green ones look best, all the detail in the iris.

Manimal, those eyes seem quite realistic, and those eye monsters...

And here is my attempt, didn't use any references:

Spoiler
Critiques are welcome!

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
And here is my attempt, didn't use any references

Even the one that looks angry/serious has a cute aura to it.

I didn't notice at first but you used different types of shading techniques in your eyes and light reflections, that's cool. I like the pink one for some reason. I think because it goes well with the eye look.

Great job!

Offline Froggy

• I like frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »
Even the one that looks angry/serious has a cute aura to it.

I didn't notice at first but you used different types of shading techniques in your eyes and light reflections, that's cool. I like the pink one for some reason. I think because it goes well with the eye look.

Great job!

It still looks cute? I think I have a problem... Although it's not necessarily a bad thing. And yeah, I was trying different styles of shading. For the pink one, I was going for the 'shoujo' look. Thank you ;D
Critiques are welcome!

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »

It still looks cute? I think I have a problem... Although it's not necessarily a bad thing. And yeah, I was trying different styles of shading. For the pink one, I was going for the 'shoujo' look. Thank you ;D

well if you were going for a shoujo look, you didnt fail

mine ended up off or i struggled too much cause the face structure wasnt there

Spoiler

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »
BobbyJoex, nice eyes. Is that the style you prefer to use?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
Spoiler

I can't add much to what others said but nice eyes there Forlorn. And yeah, Manimal is right about the lopsided thing. It actually brings out character in some cases... But there's a fine line between being innacurate and having a lopsided eye haha.

@Manimal nice ones there dude. I think with the right shading your eyes could look more three dimensional. A little on the edges of the whites could make them look more circular methinks. Haha the toon ones are hilarious. I wonder if I should try referencing those.

@Froggy Really like those eyes too. Man, colour works wonders for anime/manga eyes haha. Love the hatching and pointillation variations too. Really looks good. The blue and purple ones are my favourites.

@Bobby those turned out great man. Simple but effective at showing expressions and the like. Would be interesting to see female ones.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:32:41 AM by reX »

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »
... my eyes are pretty much the same for both genders

Click the Banner to Read

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
Decided to jump aboard this workshop as well~

6eyes
I tend to draw more feminine eyes, even without meaning to >.>;;
Like the first eye one the left - was suppose to be male then BAME, looks female. XD
Anyways, here are some eyes that I draw - tend to use often - and are playing around with at this time~

p.s, I really need to stop drawing with a thick brush - I'm such a sucker for it..
Next personally challenge for me is thin brushes. Yes -nod nod-