April 18, 2024, 07:04:03 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Some of my art and stuff  (Read 19980 times)

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
Some of my art and stuff
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
Just thought I post another 'post' and this time in the art section. Meet my anthropomorphic kitsune character, Hikari Katsumi.
She is the second main character in a manga that I am going to attempt to draw/work on eventually. Technically she is the 'leading' character but she shares the spot light with a male kitsune.

I just finished drawing that chibi so I thought I share the process/steps as well.
I'll update here once I have more art of character concepts/refs and just over all relation to my manga/story.
Thank you for checking this out so far!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:01:09 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my art and stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
She is very cute. Is this just a chibi version of your character or is she actually like this. Either way, I'm interested to see what she can do. She looks like she is suppose to be a ninja or something and I'm guessing she is 300 years old if we go by the tail count.

I just think it will be funny seeing her and the male counterpart fight if they look like this.

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »
She is very cute. Is this just a chibi version of your character or is she actually like this. Either way, I'm interested to see what she can do. She looks like she is suppose to be a ninja or something and I'm guessing she is 300 years old if we go by the tail count.

I just think it will be funny seeing her and the male counterpart fight if they look like this.

This is just a chibi version of her. I enjoy drawing in chibi form but I will eventually post characters actual concept/refs. She is indeed 300yrs old, 356 to be exact. I am deeply in love with the Kitsune folklore both Chinese and Japanese and just general fan-made tales. So my first manga will be revolved around a kitsune like universe/concept world.

They aren't ninja's, their clothing is stylized after a older era. Think "The Last Avatar" perhaps. 

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:57:48 AM »
Here is another update! This time the 1st main character of my work-in-progress manga: Hayashi Hyura.

I'm not sure if this design for him is completely decided yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:01:40 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:59:37 AM »
Wanted to post my persona here as well. Here is Razi. Despite my Alias name being "RaziKitsune" this character is a Nekomimi. A neko girl basically.
I really love sketching like this, just a black and white piece. You will see a lot of black & white pieces from me probably.
Yes, she wears 'Gamercat' stuff. Love that comic, it is so nerdy and so cool!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:01:53 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »
Another update. I did some fox studies and thought I share. These are rough sketches but all referenced from real life photo's. I love to capture motion but I do need to work on 'expressions'. Some anatomy still need to be tweaked but this is just a step into improving.

I recommend doing studies like this ever so often, from experience they really do help a artist to improve.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:02:05 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:11:21 PM »
Decided to share a sketch of Razi today. Showing the steps i do to make the anatomy what it is;

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:02:17 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
Never been a fan of the whole concept of the animal-people thing, but i am a fan of your artwork & style! Can't wait to see more.

The fox studies really show that you know your stuff! :)

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
Never been a fan of the whole concept of the animal-people thing, but i am a fan of your artwork & style! Can't wait to see more.

The fox studies really show that you know your stuff! :)

Thank you for the compliment!
I was introduced to anime at a young age (6/7yrs old) and well my first handful of anime's had a lot of yokai's and Kemonomimi like characters so I've always liked the animal/beast/monster-like characters. Japanese folklore is something I dived into pretty shortly after becoming a fan of Anime/Manga and just something I really like. I'm not fluent in Japanese, yet, but I am attempting to learn how to read and speak it like my native language even if it takes me ten years! -strikes a determined action pose-

I hope to post here pretty perodically. Daily sketches - animal studies - pose practice - and of course interaction with this community in general like Art-trades/contests/ group activities/etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:37:12 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:33:21 AM »
I was practicing drawing a dynamic fight scene and decided to do three different thumbnails of the same pose. I am curious on which one, in your opinion, looks better/good?
My personal favorite is #1 & #3.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:02:29 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »
Well done art! I agree with everything Jamie said, I'm not a fan of anthros but I do think your art is well done and I especially like your persona character. As I said in the other thread I was surprised how fast you put those chibis together and how nice they looked! It seems like you have a very quick and efficient way of drawing.

As for above I also like 1 and 3 the most. I feel if they where further apart in 3 it would have more impact though, despite being the simplest pose it feels like it has the most "omph!" to it. If it was a larger panel with more empty space it would also seem like the impact could be felt behind the character falling back. The poses and everything look pretty good, pretty well drawn for thumbnails...I've always thought of thumbnails as something you scribble out...but no everything looks good so far, it's defiantly great that you draw a good variety of things and do all these studies, it really shows in your art. Your sketches are really well put together.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:39:03 AM by Manimal »

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
-removed-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:40:12 AM by The SlamJam »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »
Well done art! I agree with everything Jamie said, I'm not a fan of anthros but I do think your art is well done and I especially like your persona character. As I said in the other thread I was surprised how fast you put those chibis together and how nice they looked! It seems like you have a very quick and efficient way of drawing.

As for above I also like 1 and 3 the most. I feel if they where further apart in 3 it would have more impact though, despite being the simplest pose it feels like it has the most "omph!" to it. If it was a larger panel with more empty space it would also seem like the impact could be felt behind the character falling back. The poses and everything look pretty good, pretty well drawn for thumbnails...I've always thought of thumbnails as something you scribble out...but no everything looks good so far, it's defiantly great that you draw a good variety of things and do all these studies, it really shows in your art. Your sketches are really well put together.

Thank you ^//^
I also am leaning toward three more. A thumbnail can be stick people, scribbles, or decent sketches. Whatever works with artist best. For me, by making sure the anatomy is decent and the lines are understandable, makes the line-art process easier. It also takes out a step (rendering a scribble with another sketch) which helps speed up the process.

Hi! I thought I was struggling to properly critique this using just words, so i quickly (Very quickly) drew out some examples. I chose #3 since it best illustrates the points i'm about to make, but it exists in all of them. Out of them all, i'd say 2 is the best. Remember, you're a much better artist than me, and this is all opinion.

Spoiler
My biggest issue is that whilst your drawings have good anatomy/form, they often use very weak lines of action that don't tell a big enough visual story. Using S and C curves can go a long way in helping establish interest. This is illustrated in blue.

My second issue is composition. A really easy and cheap way to establish this is to use arrows that guide the viewers eyes to certain areas. Illustrated in green. This helps show where you want to look, and it's usually something that you just sorta feel out. Play around with transform tools to move people about too, and find the most visually interesting angles for all the poses. (Also minor, but if she's being pushed back, then I think gravity would push her hair forward, instead of it just sitting nicely.

Hello! I appreciate the criticism and the visual reply but I'd like to mention up front that how people approach these points are different then others. For example, I do not draw speedlines right at the gecko because they are busy and messy looking. I on the other hand focus on anatomy and the general basic pose, which are what I represented to the post yesterday which can make the image more "static".  Once I figured out which pose the forum liked most, which so far is #3, I would tweak it- if necessary, ink it, flat it, then apply speed lines/motion, then shade it.  That is the stages I go through personally.

Now, your drawing is capturing something that I don't want to capture and didn't plan to capture during that "moment" due to the ball of power making contact with Hikari, causing her to fold. I actual feel your image is the next panel for example. I didn't wish to use that style of "force" reason why in my image, it hasn't even left his hand (the power sort of floats from their palms) yet. Hikari was jumping to escape - to gain grounds from the attack so it wouldn't be such a strong "hit".. like to mention here that this is sparing and not life or death battle.

I appreciate the tips, about the hair and the arrow motion. But in my opinion, please keep in mind that other artist go about steps differently. What might lack at that stage may be applied in a different step for a different artist. Just like what Manimal said on her post above yours; "I've always thought of thumbnails as something you scribble out." To me those thumbnails I presented are sort of scribbled out - but before I move on I like to give proper anatomy so the inking process is as smooth as possible. No extra steps that way for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:34:09 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »

Thank you ^//^
I also am leaning toward three more. A thumbnail can be stick people, scribbles, or decent sketches. Whatever works with artist best. For me, by making sure the anatomy is decent and the lines are understandable, makes the line-art process easier. It also takes out a step (rendering a scribble with another sketch) which helps speed up the process.

Ah interesting. I'm not super into the digital art world so to me thumbnails are the quick things I scribble to plan out my comics. I have seen the technique of drawing thumbnails and inking from that, it seems to be a speedy way and it clearly works for you. It might be something I should try as well, when I try to draw digitally I spend too much time making my sketches look perfect. The sketch I did of Hikari is how my (traditionally drawn) comics normally look before I ink them, minus the shading. So you draw out a quick thumbnail, make sure anatomy and everything is right, then draw the finer details in when you ink it?

Just like what Manimal said on her post above yours

Womanimal?  :o
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:02:34 PM by Manimal »

Offline RaziKitsune

• PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »

Ah interesting. I'm not super into the digital art world so to me thumbnails are the quick things I scribble to plan out my comics. I have seen the technique of drawing thumbnails and inking from that, it seems to be a speedy way and it clearly works for you. It might be something I should try as well, when I try to draw digitally I spend too much time making my sketches look perfect. The sketch I did of Hikari is how my (traditionally drawn) comics normally look before I ink them, minus the shading. So you draw out a quick thumbnail, make sure anatomy and everything is right, then draw the finer details in when you ink it?

Basically that is correct. My best example I can give at this moment is my current chibi work & Razi Sketch;

On the Razi piece, you can see what my very first steps are - like a skeleton base. Those are my guidelines and what I throw down first but I do them pretty quick that the image beside the skeleton is the end result of my "sketch". I like drawing digitally cause I can wipe away the messy layers/etc.
Then what you see with the chibi process is basically the same - minus the skeleton base. Since most of the sketch well formed, the inking process is simplified and easier to manage. =)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:02:46 PM by RaziKitsune »