November 17, 2017, 04:12:15 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: I wanna start cosplaying, what must I do?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
I wanna start cosplaying, what must I do?
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:16:19 AM »
First things first:
- Remember cosplay is just a hobby. Do not ruin yourself, do not stress out of measure yourself!  :D

- Do not be ashamed or afraid to start a cosplay: Yes, you will fail some things.  Even the best cosplayers had to start somewhere.  The important is to improve at your own rythm!  :sheep:

- Stay humble: Yes, there will always be a better cosplay than the one you desperately worked on for months. Try to analyse what you find better in the other cosplay to improve it in your next projects.  :thumbsup:

- Do not be afraid to be creative: no, it's not a disaster if other cosplayers choose a different fabric, a different sewing pattern... Cosplay is for fun!!!  :dance:

- Don't chew more than you can handle: first try small cosplay: you will be disappointed and frustrated if you start by a ultra complex project. Take the time to train and improve at your own rythm!  :ninja:

- Take your time: do not start your first project one week before the convention! Take the time to do your project carefully and precisely.  :push:

- Web is your friend: there are endless tutorials available on web! 8)

- Test test test: materials are expensive: test with cheap fabrics or cheap materials your patterns.  Don't forget to try your cosplay before the convention to avoid nasty surprises. :sure:

- Cosplay what you like: it doesn't matter if it's a ultra famous character or a character nobody knows. Do what you want how you want!  :santa:

-Money Money Money: do not buy everything at once. Divide your cosplay into several small projects (example: the corset, the skirt, the hair...): it will keep you from killing your savings. Buying materials during promotions or discount will help you a lot too!

- Useful Mangaraiders cosplay topics: I will update our cosplay tutorial topic  and our recommanded cosplay shops list with lots of useful links I've found through the years.

- Ebay and Aliexpress will be essential for wigs and stuff like beads: choose carefully the shops by reading buyers reviews. Do not hesitate to check on google the shop reviews!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:22:55 AM by Corycaly »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna start cosplaying, what must I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:04 AM »
Really effective tutorial there, and applicable to other things to learn .

I think I'll have to ask you for opinions on a cosplay outfit in terms of whether it's simple or feasible to try out.

Offline Killer B !!SAMA!!

• I GOT U THERE PERVERT AJUSSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:40:14 AM »
lego u can cosplay L-lego man  haha and its cheaper you dont have to spent some is you just need white shirt and jeans  :D and on the eye the black eye bag

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:55:35 AM »
L-lego would be hilarious. But I don't have the 'gravitas' for that sort of thing. I do have the depressed look though. And sweet things i'm allergic too.

Still, could be an idea. *buys lots and lots of gel

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »
I forgot to add advice about shops choice! It's sometimes difficult to find on ebay or aliexpress serious sellers, especially for newbies!
Ebay and aliexpress are ultra useful to buy cosplay materials but shops are to be choose carefully. ^^
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:23:46 AM by Corycaly »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »
Haha, I only had amazon in mind when it came to shopping for good cosplays...

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
I rarely use amazon for cosplay, expect when it's for an emergency.

I buy 90% of my cosplay materials online: ebay, aliexpres and other online shops are my usual sellers.

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
i get all my craft stuff off ebay mostly. i cant say i get really technical stuff, but theres a lot available for very decent prices. cant say the quality will be the best though, but until you get seriously good it probably wont be noticeable.

buying in bulk or multiple packs often gets the price down quite quickly, so if you have friends that want the same things, its probably worth teaming up to save a bit of money.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
Ebay is good for a lot of things: I buy there all my cosplay wigs, all my corset stuff. If you live in the USA, you can get more materials easily.

i get all my craft stuff off ebay mostly. i cant say i get really technical stuff, but theres a lot available for very decent prices. cant say the quality will be the best though, but until you get seriously good it probably wont be noticeable.

buying in bulk or multiple packs often gets the price down quite quickly, so if you have friends that want the same things, its probably worth teaming up to save a bit of money.

That's a great idea to reduce shipping costs! It also allows you to often get bulk discounts. ^^

Offline Ocky88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:28 PM »
I want to go as baymax from big hero six.  So I can ask all the hot girls "if they are satisfied with their care."